Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
jekajekalynn
A Barbie girl in a Bratz world
"Mommy tooted in the toilet! It was Loooooouuuud!!"
We Girls can do anything, right Barbie??

Question Daytona Beach question

We are thinking about spending the first day of our Florida vacation @ Daytona Beach before we get to WDW.

My question is, besides the beach what is there for families to do there? Ohhh.. and we don't give a poopie about cars/racing btw.. lol

TIA!

ETA , could a MOD please move this thread to appropriate forum? For some reason it backspaced back to Disney resort forum and not the Orlando/outside WDW one.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by jekajekalynn; 12-10-2012 at 09:16 AM.
jekajekalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
babygirlamg
DIS Veteran

what day of the week are you spending in Daytona...They have an amazing flea market there....huge ....not sure if thats something you would like
babygirlamg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Moving it now....
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
jekajekalynn
A Barbie girl in a Bratz world
"Mommy tooted in the toilet! It was Loooooouuuud!!"
We Girls can do anything, right Barbie??

We are planning to be in Daytona just for one day on 2/16.

[IMG][/IMG]
jekajekalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
travelcoupons
DIS Veteran

Go to the Ponce Inlet lighthouse, located in Ponce Inlet...just a few minutes south of Daytona Beach. (Follow Hwy A1A)
There's a coupon on their website for discounted admission: http://ponceinlet.org/

Then, right next door to the Lighthouse is the Marine Science Center. (It's kind of hidden in the trees, but it's there). Very inexpensive to visit & the kids will love it. They rescue sea turtles and nurse them back to health. There's also other marine & land animals there.

http://marinesciencecenter.com/

Photo i took there:

There's also some good mini golf courses right off the beach. I personally like the One in Ormond Beach, but you would pass by the one in Daytona Beach Shores if you went to the lighthouse: http://www.piratesislandgolf.com/
Old 12-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

http://www.beachhunter.net/cocoa-beach/shepard-park.htm

Shepard Park is just north of Daytona on cocoa beach. Secure parking, life guards. Just a good clean beach. We have gone here 3 times in the last 6 years. 50 minute drive from disney, so its an easy day trip. pictures in the link.

""This 5 acre ocean front park is named after astronaut Alan Shepard. The park provides restrooms, picnic tables, showers, and a large paved parking lot. Parking fees are in the $7 to $10 dollar range per car. There are also parking meters on nearby streets if you don't want to park in the lot. Wooden boardwalks lead to the beach and a long boardwalk parallels the beach for several hundred yards. The park has low, grass-covered dunes and a beautiful beach. Because this beach is so close to the pier, it is quite a popular access point and can get crowded, especially on the weekends. There are plenty of surfers here, too. ""
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
SarahKate
DIS Veteran

Daytona isn't a great shelling beach but we enjoyed it there. Pretty cool that we could park ON the beach! There is a fun restaurant right on the beach called Ocean Deck. Is a bar but was kid friendly.
SarahKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
LovinPooh
DIS Veteran

The convenience of parking on the beach is super cool! And for only $5
LovinPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
lthiesfeld07
Mouseketeer

My cousin lives in Ormand-By-The-Sea, which is just north of Daytona Beach. She lives right off of A1A. (Forgive me, I don't know the names of hotels,roads, etc) There is a beach just north of the Ormand-By-The-Sea sign heading north that we go to! It's free parking and a lovely area.
I will be back (hopefully) in January!
1997- Dixie Landings * 2002- ASMo * Aug 2011- Off-site Jan 2012- CBR * April 2012- OKW *June 2012- ASMu *September 2012- Pop/Kidani *March 2013- ASMu/Kidani *July 2013 AEP- CSR/Contemporary *October 2013- ASMu/Contemporary *December 2013- POR

lthiesfeld07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
travelcoupons
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthiesfeld07 View Post
My cousin lives in Ormand-By-The-Sea, which is just north of Daytona Beach. She lives right off of A1A. (Forgive me, I don't know the names of hotels,roads, etc) There is a beach just north of the Ormand-By-The-Sea sign heading north that we go to! It's free parking and a lovely area.
I will be back (hopefully) in January!
Sounds like Tom Renick Park, that's where I go too.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelcoupons View Post
Sounds like Tom Renick Park, that's where I go too.

This looks lovely!

In june we were planning to stop at daytona and let the kids boogie board for 2 hours before we drive the rest of the wat y to Kissimmmee. But if this beach is nicer and more convenient maybe we;ll go there instead! How far of a drive is it from I95?

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #12
megthewonderful
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelcoupons View Post
Go to the Ponce Inlet lighthouse, located in Ponce Inlet...just a few minutes south of Daytona Beach. (Follow Hwy A1A)
There's a coupon on their website for discounted admission: http://ponceinlet.org/

Then, right next door to the Lighthouse is the Marine Science Center. (It's kind of hidden in the trees, but it's there). Very inexpensive to visit & the kids will love it. They rescue sea turtles and nurse them back to health. There's also other marine & land animals there.

http://marinesciencecenter.com/

Photo i took there:

There's also some good mini golf courses right off the beach. I personally like the One in Ormond Beach, but you would pass by the one in Daytona Beach Shores if you went to the lighthouse: http://www.piratesislandgolf.com/
I second the idea of the Ponce Inlet Lighthouse and the Marine Science Center. We did this last summer and my kids loved it! They are 9, 8 and 5 for reference.