Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #16
gabyta
Mouseketeer

I'd love to try AoA cars section.. The family suites look big enough for your family (bigger than LM standard of course).
Hope you get the best choice for you!!
Old 12-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #17
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

When we stay at the values, it is mainly because one or both DD's wants to stay at, as they say, "the hotel that is for kids" as oppose to the "animal hotel" or "Tiana's hotel"... We have had great times at each level, so I have no problem not shelling out $$$ for the deluxes. I would give it a shot but if you are really unsure, look at a possible split stay.

Is it just me, but when did just over a third of a mile become such a looooong hike for everyone? I am not a young chicken and not in great shape and that is not a long walk at all.

DW DH DD(10) DD(5)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(4), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #18
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthasor View Post
Honestly, if you like deluxe resorts, I really don't think you will like AoA. It is a value resort, period. The theme is beautifully done and it's nice to look at, but it has all value amenities - food court, busses, thinner walls, etc. When we stayed there, it was unbelievably loud - could hear people running down the hallways at all hours and our room faced the pool so we could hear people swimming up until 11 pm at night. I finally got some ear plugs. If you decide to stay there, I would recommend getting some ear plugs and letting your brother sleep in the master bedroom and shut the door - even then, if he snores really loudly, you may still hear him.

If I were you, I would pay a little extra and get two rooms at a moderate. You get better amenities, every one gets a bed and your brother gets his own room. It looks like CBR is your most economical bet for your dates using the room-only discount.

I prefer deluxe resorts because I like to be closer to the parks and have TS dining options. I thought I would try an AoA suite because it sounded like it would be a little "more" than your standard value resort. I traveled alone with my DS4 on that trip and while he enjoyed the pool and the arcade, I nearly went crazy with no sleep and no where to go at night other than a food court and arcade if I didn't want to get on another bus. Sorry to be a downer on AoA, but I would never stay there again.
because we all know that loudness and rowdiness doesn't occur at the deluxe level
Old 12-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #19
chemnerd09
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzznina View Post
When we stay at the values, it is mainly because one or both DD's wants to stay at, as they say, "the hotel that is for kids" as oppose to the "animal hotel" or "Tiana's hotel"... We have had great times at each level, so I have no problem not shelling out $$$ for the deluxes. I would give it a shot but if you are really unsure, look at a possible split stay.

Is it just me, but when did just over a third of a mile become such a looooong hike for everyone? I am not a young chicken and not in great shape and that is not a long walk at all.
I agree about the split stay if you're unsure. This way you can try different places. We stayed in a Little Mermaid room which isn't what you're asking about, but I just wanted to share my experience. I thought the main building and pool was great for theming. The actual room was a bit much for me, but I knew that going in. We didn't get a chance at the food court since we only stayed there one night. I know they have it geared to more healthy options which is a bonus for me. The walk to the LM room wasn't bad at all. It just seemed longer when we were going through the rain. There were a few things that bothered my mom and I which is why we wouldn't be staying there again, but everyone has different opinions on things.

I can understand about the snoring because my mother is the same way. If you can swing two standard rooms for not much more money, I'd say go with that. The trip goes so much better when everyone can get some sleep.

chemnerd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #20
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzznina View Post
As I said in PP I am a runner, but the walk "got to" me. If you wanted to refill your mug, it was a hike *just* to do that. We had a mobility impaired senior (with an ECV) so that magnified our issues (the ECV is still VERY new to her and she stresses over driving it). In the heat, it was a long hike in the sun to and from the bus stop/food court (we were in LM standard rooms). And contrary to other posts, I am NOT a deluxe snob--I have stayed in each of the values (except new AoA) multiple times and all the moderates mulitple times. YES, the hike from the remote places of CBR is much worse, but when you are used to the relatively compact other value resorts, this was a chore.

I went as a traveling companion to the senior lady; in hindsight the person booking the trip should have looked at the resort and considered the distance--it never even occurred to me to do so. If they offered preferred regular rooms, we would have gone that route.

While I don't expect WDW to ever do it, drink stations in each section would be most welcome especially during hot weather. (Yes, we brought cases of drinks, but dang it! I wanted my WDW cherry coke!)

I am a Hard Core Foodie and I was very enthusiastic about the food court choices, but the food sounded much better than it really was and the NOISE level was horrible. The bus-your-own-table experience with real silverware and sorting garbage and recycles into way, way too tiny slots just left me with a bad taste.

In short, if you are considering the resort, I think you should try it! But if long walks and loud food courts are decision makers/breakers for you and your party, you MAY want to consider other options.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #21
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

We were considering AofA Lm rooms or POP for Our extended family trip, and after reading several threads decided that POP might be a better choice...and we can walk over to AofA to look at it!!

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect
March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!
October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!
June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip..fantastic!
March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
January, 2015, Art of Animation
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #22
SarahJN
Mouseketeer

I just returned from a week's stay at AoA in a Lion King suite. In August, we stayed in a water view room at the Beach Club and a few years before that, we stayed at POR. So this was our first experience with a value resort - it really wasn't all that bad and your son will absolutely love the theming around the Cars buildings.

The food court was typical - my biggest complaint is that there seemed to be a lot of dirty silverware. Yes, we could hear our neighbors and people running down the hall at midnight but that happened at Beach Club too. I also didn't like how we had to use room towels for the pool and then call and wait for housekeeping to bring us more.

I definitely wouldn't stay book a Nemo suite for fear of getting a room facing the pool. That area is loud and there's a lot of foot traffic.

Read my trip reports!

SarahJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #23
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

We just got back from a stay in the Cars suites at AoA and loved it. We will definitely be back! We stayed in building 1 (Mater) facing the pool as we requested. Checked in around 1pm and our room was ready to go. The theming is outstanding! Our two year old said goodnight a d good morning to Mater daily. The QS food was great! Lots of different, healthier options, yet plenty of staples for the kids. Pools were fun! Mousekeeping was phenomenal! We got towel animals daily except a day we came back to the room while they were cleaning. And then they offered us extra anything we wanted (coffee, towels, soap, etc). We loved having two bathrooms & two rooms. Our experience was fantastic and we could easily call AoA home on every Disney trip!

DL Native=Too many trips to count!DLP: 1998Tokyo Disney 2000
Disney Magic - 3/2014
DW: 4/1995 - Off Site; 12/2009 - CBR (DH & DS1's 1st trip!); 12/2012 - AoA Cars Suite (DS2's 1st trip!); 5/2013 - Pop AEP; 8/2013 - WL; 2/2015 -POFQ; 5/2015 - WL
lovingeire is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: