Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #241
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
The GF is such a lovely resort! It would be such a dream to stay club level there! Thank you for all the pictures and descriptions, its fun to live vicariously through you!
Glad you're enjoying it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
More beautiful pics of the GF!! I am soooo jealous you were able to not only stay there, but Club Level! My cheap DH would never go for such a thing, so alas, I too will have to live vicariously through your pics...
You could tell him that the cost of a room includes three HUGE meals a day (plus alcohol). The Grand really did have more food than any other club level we have ever seen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
Formatting has been acting up in my TR as well. Weird. I love all of your GF photos. One my dreams is to stay there some day. And with the DVC villas being built, I can see that becoming a reality for me.

I love that green writing chair, too. So seriously cool.
That is so odd! Silly old DIS, trying to undermine the good grammar of trip reporters! That would be SO awesome to stay in a DVC villa at the Grand...I can't wait to see what they look like!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #242
MEK
DIS Veteran

I was hoping I could see your pics today because some of them are showing up on my new computer. Bummer! I'll check back later.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #243
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I was hoping I could see your pics today because some of them are showing up on my new computer. Bummer! I'll check back later.
It should be up momentarily now...sorry for the wait!
Old 12-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #244
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Teatime and A Quiet Spot

The food offerings at most Disney Club level lounges follow a similar schedule.

Breakfast is from 7am to 10:30am.

Next comes the afternoon snacks, which run from 11am til 4pm. This is pretty standard: potato chips, cookies, maybe popcorn or goldfish or pretzels, lemonade and iced tea.

Now it is, believe it or not, possible to lunch entirely off of cookies and potato chips – especially when you know the dinner offerings will be good and out at 5. But sometimes we will have a low-key lunch out, because the afternoon club food is not all that substantial.

Not at the Royal Palm Club. Oh no.

First of all, their “afternoon snacks” are considerably more than just snacks. The standby cookies and chips are present, but there are also cold veggies – asparagus, squash, cherry tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers.

There are exotic crackers and many varieties of dips and hummus like spinach artichoke and tomato basil. There is also lovely white bread – and if you were clever enough to save some of the meat and cheese from breakfast, you’ve got yourself a gourmet sandwich right there.

Oh, but that’s not all. We’re just getting started.

Because at 3 o’ clock, out comes the TEA.

There are warm scones (in an elegant silver warmer). There are jam tarts. There are slices of cake-like banana bread.

There is strawberry trifle. There is DEVONSHIRE CREAM (which is one of my favorite things on earth). It’s like going to the tea downstairs at the Garden View Tea Room, except you can have as much as you want.

Did I put Devonshire cream on my cookie and practically every other thing I ate? Yes, yes I did.

Was it so worth the calories? Yes, yes it was.

If tea isn’t…well…your cup of tea…then there’s also a fridge always stocked with cold cans of pop, as well as lemonade, tropical (POG) juice, iced tea, and coffee.

Having tea at the Grand Floridian made us feel very fancy, very Downton Abbey-ish. There is a very funny video online, a parody of Downton Abbey, that Porthos and I enjoy. (If you are a Downton fan and haven't watched it, you should go watch it right now.)

Anyway, In one of the scenes, the characters make outrageous faces at each other for a few minutes, then one of them asks, “Right, everybody finished their looks? Then into the drawing room.”

So now, for no particular reason, Porthos and I will commence “our looks” and make ridiculous dramatic faces at each other for no reason.

This also looks like a Downton “look,” but I think Athos was actually just examing that fossil.

In between afternoon snacks and tea, the afternoon was blissfully whiled away doing nothing much…

I strolled about the grounds…

I strolled through the halls…

I took pictures…

Love the stained glass domes on the ceiling. They’re so high up there, sometimes you don’t quite notice them!

I hung out in the room. We were checking out the next day (it was just a one-night stay), but we would have access to the lounge all day, whereas the room we would have to be out of by 11 am.

Dart went swimming.

The majority of my time was spent at this little marble table, flanked by two regal chairs, up on the fifth floor. It came to be the Grand Floridian equivalent of a hammock at the Polynesian. It was just the most delightfully wonderful place.

There was NEVER anyone up at that table. It was so quiet and lovely.

I spread my stories and books and letters out in perfect contentment. Out the window you could see palm trees and also, best of all…

THE CASTLE!

Sounds from the piano or the orchestra float up from below. If you feel like it, you can stand up and look out over the lobby, spread out before you, the little princesses dancing and the families checking in and the couples dressed up for dinner.

Sometimes it's nice to be right in the middle of life, participating in it and living out new stories yourself; but sometimes it's also nice to be a little bit of a hermit, to have that physical and mental space and silence that allows you to think, to gather up the stories around you.

At that little table, I felt like there was a little bit of both.

It was just perfect.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #245
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

Luv luv LUV the Grand Floridian pics
Old 12-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #246
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you guys were having a fabulous time!!! The CL snacks sound awesome!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #247
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

I like that last picture of you - it sums up what you just said! Relaxing, indeed!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #248
Curiouser&curiouser!
DIS Veteran

CL at the GF is now at the top of my list of stays for a grown-ups only trip. I'm sure if I batted my eyelashes enough I could convince my hubby! (and if that doesn't work, I'll point out all the food that is included!)
Old 12-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #249
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
I like that last picture of you - it sums up what you just said! Relaxing, indeed!
I love it too!
Old 12-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #250
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

I'm really sad because I have no idea what Devonshire cream is. It looks delicious though!

Your little spot at the Grand Floridian sounds so perfect and wonderful.

Completed Trip Reports:
December 2011 * July/August 2012 * May/June 2013
Old 12-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #251
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
Luv luv LUV the Grand Floridian pics
Glad you're enjoying them! It's fun going back through them and remembering all the pretty places; although I wish now I had taken more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Sounds like you guys were having a fabulous time!!! The CL snacks sound awesome!
It was definitely fabulous. My heart will always be at the Polynesian, but the Grand and all that food was definitely making it a contender for top Disney resort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Awww, thanks! It was very relaxing!
Old 12-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #252
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiouser&curiouser! View Post
CL at the GF is now at the top of my list of stays for a grown-ups only trip. I'm sure if I batted my eyelashes enough I could convince my hubby! (and if that doesn't work, I'll point out all the food that is included!)
The food is how my mom sold my dad on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
I love it too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
I'm really sad because I have no idea what Devonshire cream is. It looks delicious though!

Your little spot at the Grand Floridian sounds so perfect and wonderful.
It's also called clotted cream. It's slightly thicker than whipped cream, and you're supposed to put it on scones like butter or jam. It's SO amazing!
Old 12-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #253
scrapbookersdis
Yes, we are going to Disney World *again*!
It never occurred to me to wonder

Devonshire cream and a castle view? Sounds like paradise!

Next update, please!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #255
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbookersdis View Post
Devonshire cream and a castle view? Sounds like paradise!

Next update, please!

Update coming up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
That graphic is so adorable -- Merry Christmas to you too!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: