Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #16
nkereina
Wendy Darling

IMO, one of the biggest benefits that makes deluxe hotels worth the money is their proximity to the parks and the multiple transportation options, so you can minimize the need to take buses. Obviously with AKL, you lose this benefit. If you don't care much about that, then I would not let it stop you from staying there.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #17
DisneyFansInNYC
DIS Veteran

We have never stayed at AKL for that reason. We have eaten there and it has a wonderful atmosphere. We have teenagers that love to park hop between EPCOT and HS so the EPCOT resorts are much easier. It depends on who is in your party. Also if you have small kids - the folding of the stroller is a pain. We did that once with a double stroller and it was hard. Enjoy your trip no matter where you end up staying.

Our 2013 Disney Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLSzd7LSuFc
DisneyFansInNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #18
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJKMOM View Post
. No one ever complains that the Contemporary is SOOO far from the Animal Kingdom.
believe me I have - CR/blt has to share its bus with Polyn and GF - do you know how long it takes to do just this - try 12 to 20 minutes and that is before the bus can even leave to go to AK... so believe me when I stay at BLT don't go to AK.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #19
OhThePain
DIS Veteran

We also loved our stay at AKL and had absolutely no issues with the transportation. Just for S&G, using ourlaughingplace's transportation wizard, I compaired the travel times from AKL, Poly, WL and BWI to DHS, AK, DTD, EC and MK. The results are as follows:

AKL:

To DHS-19 mins, To AK-18 mins, To DTD-26 mins, To EC-20 mins, to MK-21 mins.

Poly:

To DHS- 20 mins, To AK-26 mins, To DTD-27 mins, To EC-45 mins (that is taking monorail to TTC then from TTC to EC), and MK-13 mins.

WL:

To DHS- 23 mins, To AK-29 mins, to DTD-37 mins, To EC-22 mins, To MK- 13 mins by boat, 8 by bus.

BWI:

To DHS- 25 min walk, To AK-23 mins, to DTD- 19 mins, to EC-8 min walk, To MK-14 mins.

Take it for what it is. Of course, this does not factor in time spent waiting for transportation to get to the resort and traffic. To me it just shows that the EC resorts will lead to the least travel time and AKL is not really "in the middle of no where" the way the haters would lead you to believe.

1988- Contemporary Resort / 1990- Big Red Boat and Buena Vista Palace / 1993- CBR / 1997- ASMusic / 1998- CBR / 1998- ASSports / 2008/9- POR / 2009- Convention at Gaylord Palms / 2010- POR / 2011- AKL-CL (with 3 "bonus" nights AKL non-CL) / 2013-BWV / 2014- POR / 2014- Disney Fantasy (Western)
OhThePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #20
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJKMOM
Poor AKL gets a bum rap, IMO, about this. If you look at an actual map, not a Disney map where the Magic Kingdom seems to be in the middle of things and is definitely not to scale, you can see that the distances are not that bad. No one ever complains that the Contemporary is SOOO far from the Animal Kingdom.

AKL is a beautiful resort, well themed with pools, activities and restaurants. It might be an extra 5 minutes on a bus to Epcot or DHS, but it is a great choice for a resort.
Well maybe because AK is the least liked park. Some don't even go to it. Our last couple of trips we haven't even bothered to go to AK. In Jan, I'll probably only head over to try to catch FoTLK if it hasn't closed yet. But IT IS far.
Personally, they'd have to give me the room for free to get me to stay at AKL. I don't think it is ALL that. But that's JMHO. and I def do not care for Boma, it's just too weird.
My friends who have stayed at AKL loved it but they will not stay there without a car because they said the bus service sucks that bad. several of them said they wasted too much of their day waiting for buses or on a bus...
But that's the beauty of Disney! They have a theme for everyone!! So don't worry, you won't be fighting me for a room at AKL!! LOL

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #21
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

I love how people will fly from 1,000 miles away to visit Disney...but then an extra 5-8 minutes tacked onto their commute from the resort to the parks is a worrisome distance.

AKL is our favorite resort. It's beautiful, it has some of the best cast members around, offers a slew of unique activities, and has fantastic restaurants.

The bus service is fantastic. The service is shared between AKL and Kidani, but with Kidani only a moment away, it takes no time at all.

Our last stay in October was at Saratoga Springs. It took forever for the bus to make its way around all the various stops, so I wouldn't really consider that any faster than AKL's service.

Our stay before that was at BC, twice. Convenient if you're going to Epcot or DHS, of course, but if you're not? Be prepared to wait forever for a bus to MK that you have to share with several other resorts.

With four deluxe resort stays in 2012, I can tell you that AKL's was the fastest and most efficient with the fewest amount of stops. The extra miles in-between AKL and MK or other parks really didn't create an issue.
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #22
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhThePain View Post

AKL:

To DHS-19 mins, To AK-18 mins, To DTD-26 mins, To EC-20 mins, to MK-21 mins.
it takes a lot less than 18 mins to get to AK from AKL -

there is alot more than 1 minute from Epcot to MK - it is at least 10 to 15 minutes and that is driving.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #23
Mixxy33
AKL Regular

We have stayed at AKL the last five visits. I think we got spoiled by the great restaurants, beautiful lobby, pool and just feel of the resort. We always rent a car. If you check frequently there are great deals. Got a mid size for last week for $140 total. You get free parking everywhere and you can visit resorts, parks and off site areas at your leisure. Once you get a feel for the roads its a breeze getting around especially in the slow season. We have tried other resorts but always go back to the AKL. Can't comment on the buses because we never used them but I would try the AKL. Also I think compared to the other deluxe resorts the price is the best (except for maybe the Wilderness Lodge). You will not be disappointed...
Mixxy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #24
anjalee6
DIS Veteran

We have gone to Disney the last five summers during one of the busiest times during the year and have never spent more than 20 minutes on any bus ride, even to the Magic Kingdom. Maybe we have just lucked out with good bus drivers. We have stayed at AKL the last four summers in a row and are staying again this summer. I think it all depends on what appeals to you. We would take the quiet charm of AKL anyway over the hustle and bustle and busy feeling of some resorts. Some people like the complete opposite.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #25
kgreen
Mouseketeer

My family Loves AKL!!! The bus ride doesn't seem long at all. Ak is 5 or 6 minuets, the longest ride was to MK & it was maybe 20 min. but didn't seem like it took that long, once you are on the bus it goes pretty quick. AKL is our favorite, every where you look there is something new & interesting. It's beautiful!!!!! Don't let the fact that AKL is a bit away from the hustle & bustle detour you from staying there! I'm pretty sure you will Love it too! We stayed in a bunkbed/arusha savanna view. Every morning while the family was still asleep, I went to fill my coffee, & sat on our balcony. Where in the world can you watch the sun rise over the savanna while the animals begin to wake & move! It's pretty awesome!
kgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: