Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #46
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc

I disagree. I see no issue with not sharing that the paperwork was dealt with ahead of time for personal, financial reasons.

Honestly, what percentage of couples lives together before they get married anyway? The majority of the time, you're celebrating the commitment 'after the fact.'
I agree with your disagree lol. What is the difference If a couple signs a piece of paper before or after the ceremony? The ceremony is about celebrating the love and commitment of the couple with friends and family as well as observing whatever religious/ traditions/etc. they have.
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #47
momoftwodisneykids
Mouseketeer

Try www.pcip.gov. This program is through United Healthcare. It isn't available in all states but it's worth a look. I too have preexisting conditions and I'd be up the creek without a paddle without employer sponsored insurance. Briefly checked it out and premiums are not bad. They are based on age and according to a friend of mine who has it there are no medical questions or exam. Good luck.
momoftwodisneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #48
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftwodisneykids View Post
Try www.pcip.gov. This program is through United Healthcare. It isn't available in all states but it's worth a look. I too have preexisting conditions and I'd be up the creek without a paddle without employer sponsored insurance. Briefly checked it out and premiums are not bad. They are based on age and according to a friend of mine who has it there are no medical questions or exam. Good luck.
Thanks. Unfortunately, to qualify, you have to be without insurance for the past six months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
LadyBeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #49
Suz D
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses. I guess every Mom wishes for a fairytale wedding for their daughters. Her older sister is having one in May. She was either going to have a small wedding in Sept 2013, or a larger one in 2014. They never really wanted a big wedding. Just a small one with close family and friends. Unless she has it next weekend, her sister won't even be at the wedding. Sis is coming in from Louisiana for her bridal shower.

I guess I'm now perplexed at how to plan a wedding on very short notice. I do want it somewhat special...after all, this is a commitment. I'm fine with a justice of the peace.
I haven't read the whole thread, so I apologize if you or someone else have already posted this, but why don't you start a thread about planning this wedding on short notice. There are so many creative and frugal people on the boards. I bet you'll get some GREAT ideas!

Best of luck to them. I do think this happens quite often.
Suz D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #50
Tink-aholic
DIS Veteran

Until 2014, HIPAA still applies...which means you can't be uninsured longer than 63 days and still cover pre-existing conditions. However, the wedding will only open the "change in circumstance" window to allow election of the daughter's plan for thirty days. If the election is not made in that time frame, they'll have to wait until her next open enrollment period at work.

Notify daughter's HR the week or two before the wedding, then submit paperwork as soon as possible afterward.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #51
marlynnp
No take backs, bowing out or other weenie manuevers.

Quote:
My future son-in-law just got out of the hospital about two weeks ago after a two months stay. Several times, we thought we were going to lose him; however he pulled through. Thank God for insurance.

However, since he won't be going back to work for a long time, and he has more than used up sick leave, he will lose his health insurance on January 1.

He can get COBRA, but with his health condition, it's way too expensive. He lives with my daughter and granddaughter, and I think their household income is too much for Medicaid. Right now, the plan is for them to get married before December 31, so he could get on DD's health insurance at work. They were originally going to get married next summer.

I want them to have a proper wedding, not a wedding at the Justice of the Peace. But they can't think of how they could afford insurance for him without them getting married.

Please help.
That's not yours to want.

What they want, is what matters and what they should do. You had your wedding. Now is the time for you to be supportive of them and their wants & needs - don't be giving them guilt and worry about pleasing you.
marlynnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #52
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmom View Post
She does need to check her own policy but I have never worked where a change of life (marriage, baby, adoption, divorce, etc) doesn't get added immediately. As I told the OP, We did the same thing for insurance for my DH. And honestly, I have never had what I would consider to be an awesome policy.
I had a really great policy - they covered pretty much everything, deductible about 200.
I got married mid-month, and so spouse was covered 1st day of the next month.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #53
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Update. They're married.

DD24 and DSIL got married on Saturday. Here are the pictures from the ceremony (from my pre-trip report).

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3014030&page=4

I'm happy for them. They are so in love. And DSIL will be covered under DD's policy come January 1.

Thanks for all who responded. I was surprised to see so many agreeing that getting married was the way to go. I was worried this would turn into a judgemental attack. I'm so happy it wasn't.

Thanks for the Dissers. You guys are the greatest.

Quote:

Old 12-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #54
crisi
DIS Veteran

Congrats.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #55
preschoolmom
DIS Veteran

Congratulations!

preschoolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #56
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Quote:
Update. They're married.

DD24 and DSIL got married on Saturday. Here are the pictures from the ceremony (from my pre-trip report).

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3014030&page=4

I'm happy for them. They are so in love. And DSIL will be covered under DD's policy come January 1.

Thanks for all who responded. I was surprised to see so many agreeing that getting married was the way to go. I was worried this would turn into a judgemental attack. I'm so happy it wasn't.

Thanks for the Dissers. You guys are the greatest.
That is great and congratulations to the happy couple. They do look happy and it sounds like it was a really nice ceremony.

I will admit I was worried people would be of a different opinion too so it was good to see so much support.

Congratulations and it is wonderful that they will be happy and not have DSIL health to worry about.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #57
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Congratulations to the new couple.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #58
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

Congrats!!!

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #59
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Awwww good for them!! congrats!!
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #60
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angwill View Post
Congratulations and it is wonderful that they will be happy and not have DSIL health to worry about.
Unfortunately, he'll always have the health problems. However, they won't have to worry about insurance for his problems.

Quote:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: