Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #16
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

Last weekend I was at the Apple Store to get an external hard drive for backups. When I got home I registered the external drive online and put in the serial number. Info came up that my purchase date was Aug 15, 2012 and the warranty expired Aug 15, 2015. That was weird, since I bought the drive on Dec 8, 2012. I went back to the Apple store and I showed someone the warranty dates and my receipt. They didn't have any idea what happened, but one lady saw on the box that the warranty was for 2 years. I actually got 32 months. So did the manufacturer refurbish the item, or was it a return, or what? Who knows.
POOHsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #17
Jimsig
Mouseketeer

I had a similar experience. Bought my sister an Itouch for Christmas at Best Buy. We were going to New Hampshire from Mass for a Christmas party so we bought it tax free. She let it sit and the following Nov she asked me for help setting it up. It made sure it was fully charged but would not turn on. I went to the Apple Store and they told me it was out of warrantee as it was purchased on Oct 25 and there was nothing they could do. I didn't have my receipt with me, but I told them I purchased it in Dec the previous year and told them the date. They then gave me the "we can do this one time" spiel. I figure it was returned unopened or something and the warrantee kicked in then. If its an issue like that Best Buy (or any store) should be contacting Apple to reset the warrantee.
Jimsig is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #18
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymom2003

How rude! Not all who work at Apple are pimpled faced idiots. There are many qualified persons working at the Apple stores. If you are not happy with the answer you get why not ask for a manager instead of complaining on a message board?
We discuss issues on message boards to enlighten others which this thread is doing.

As to pimply faced teens. . .maybe if that wasn't all electronic stores hired the stereotype wouldn't be there. I don't and won't shop in B&M electronic stores. The male kids they hire see 40something female and either won't wait on me or treat me like an idiot. Amazon gets my business by default.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #19
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOHsie View Post
Last weekend I was at the Apple Store to get an external hard drive for backups. When I got home I registered the external drive online and put in the serial number. Info came up that my purchase date was Aug 15, 2012 and the warranty expired Aug 15, 2015. That was weird, since I bought the drive on Dec 8, 2012. I went back to the Apple store and I showed someone the warranty dates and my receipt. They didn't have any idea what happened, but one lady saw on the box that the warranty was for 2 years. I actually got 32 months. So did the manufacturer refurbish the item, or was it a return, or what? Who knows.
Sounds to me like someone bought it August 15, 2012, and then returned it and Apple put it back on the shelf as new.
ktlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlm

Sounds to me like someone bought it August 15, 2012, and then returned it and Apple put it back on the shelf as new.
And maybe the prior purchaser bought an extended warranty?
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #21
dsanner106
DIS Veteran

No doubt you got ahold of a new or lesser trained person at the apple store, they should know better than to think apple would start the warranty when sending to an authorized location. I would also point out the in no way does apple consider best buy to be a competitor selling their product, in fact apple could never handle the retail sales of their full volume and rely on resellers to get the product in all areas of the country.

Drew

72 offsite
'74 offsite, '01 Old Key West,'02 Wyndham
'03 timeshare,'04 Pop Century '04 Coronado Springs
'05 Offsite
'06 All Star Sports 06 CoronadoSprings '07 Bonnett Creek 07 All Star Music '08 Pop Century '08 Boardwalk Villas '09 Beachclub Villas '09 Animal Kdom kidani village'10 Saratoga Sp, '11 Bay Lake Towers,' 12' Boardwalk, '12 AK Kidani
dsanner106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #22
Praying Colonel
DIS Veteran

Reminds me of this:

Quote:
I asked myself what is the most mind-numbing, pedestrian job conceivable and three answers came to mind: a toll booth employee, an Apple store genius, and what penny does. Because I don't like touch other peoples' coins and I refuse to contribute to the devaluation of the word genius, here I am.
--Dr. Sheldon Cooper, explaining to Penny why he's temporarily working at the Cheesecake Factory, "The Big Bang Theory"
Old 12-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #23
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

You can do all of this online at the Apple site. Just register your equipment. And if you have a problem, you enter the information into the system and they tell you if they will replace it or not. Had the same problem with my husband's IPod Nano. The on/off button broke. They sent a new one, we sent the old one to them at no cost to us.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #24
timmac
DIS Veteran

Apologize if this has already been mentioned, but in my experience (at least once I've done this successfully), if you register the Apple product online, you'll note--at least initially--that the warranty expiration isn't right. There's a process where you can upload a copy of your purchase receipt, and they will update the date and timeframe of your warranty. Do this first, then visit the "genius" bar.

ETA: I should have said "sometimes warranty expiration isn't right".

Last edited by timmac; 12-11-2012 at 01:55 PM.
timmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #25
huskies90
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praying Colonel View Post
Reminds me of this:

--Dr. Sheldon Cooper, explaining to Penny why he's temporarily working at the Cheesecake Factory, "The Big Bang Theory"
LOL. I thought of the same quote when I saw this thread. I was gonna post the youtube clip...Oh well, here it is anyway if anyone wants it. Big Bang = very funny show!!

http://youtu.be/HT9VNdgKnI4
Dec 1977 Offsite - Jan 1990 Offsite - Jan 1991 Offsite - Nov 2004 All Star Movies- Nov 2005 Port Orleans Riverside - Dec 2005 Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House - Aug 2007 Coronado Springs/Royal Pacific - June 2008 Yacht Club - Feb 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter - Nov 2009 Disneyland Hotel - Aug 2010 Beach Club/Hard Rock Hotel - Nov 2010 Swan - Dec 2010 All Star Music - Dec 2010 Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village - March 2011 Saratoga Springs - Aug 2011 All Star Sports - Aug 2011 Boardwalk Villas - Nov 2011 Saratoga Springs - Jan 2012 Bay Lake Tower - July 2012 Grand Californian - Aug 2012 Beach Club Villas - Nov 2012 Old Key West - Aug 2013 Old Key West - Sept 2013 Contemporary - March 2014 Animal Kingdom Villas - Jambo House - July 2014 Boardwalk Villas - July 2014 Bay Lake Tower
huskies90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #26
disneymom2003
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote View Post
We discuss issues on message boards to enlighten others which this thread is doing.

As to pimply faced teens. . .maybe if that wasn't all electronic stores hired the stereotype wouldn't be there. I don't and won't shop in B&M electronic stores. The male kids they hire see 40something female and either won't wait on me or treat me like an idiot. Amazon gets my business by default.
My son worked at an Apple store for 6 years. He used to tell me about people who came assuming he was an idiot or demanding someone fix something right now. Do you think he did not realize that? He was actually very knowledgable and willing to help. The store be worked At and actually all Apple stores I have been in have employees of all ages. So the comment inferring they are stupid is wrong. I realize this is a messAge board and vent is normal. How unfair to bash all because one was wrong or not knowledgable about a product. By the way not all Apple employees are "geniuses" The geniuses work at the back bar and only repair computers. You have to have an appointment to see them

Last edited by disneymom2003; 12-11-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Xxxx
disneymom2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #27
SMD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymom2003 View Post
My son worked at an Apple store for 6 years. He used to tell me about people who came assuming he was an idiot or demanding someone fix something right now. Do you think he did not realize that? He was actually very knowledgable and willing to help. The store be worked At and actually all Apple stores I have been in have employees of all ages. So the comment inferring they are stupid is wrong. I realize this is a messAge board and vent is normal. How unfair to bash all because one was wrong or not knowledgable about a product. By the way not all Apple employees are "geniuses" The geniuses work at the back bar and only repair computers. You have to have an appointment to see them
I'm sure there are lots of hard workers at the Apple Store, just as I'm sure there are many who mean well, but still dispense incorrect advice. I also know this is not unique to the Apple Store. But in my personal experience, they seem to have an epidemic of employees (and yes, even Genius Bar employees) who fit the descriptions provided by previous posters.

For example, my iPod stopped working, and a genius (I had an appointment) told me I took my headphones out of the jack too many times and voided my warranty. The manager agreed. I drove to another Apple store, there was an opening at the bar, and they replaced my iPod, no questions asked.

Another time, my laptop stopped working, and a genius told me I used non-compatible RAM and voided Apple Care. I pointed out that it was that very Apple Store that sold and installed the RAM. He stuck to his guns, and took out the RAM and told me all these BS non-technical terms that he made up. Bottom line, they did honor Apple Care, but how many people would not have known he was full of it when he started making up terms to describe the issue?
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #28
timmac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
I'm sure there are lots of hard workers at the Apple Store, just as I'm sure there are many who mean well, but still dispense incorrect advice. I also know this is not unique to the Apple Store. But in my personal experience, they seem to have an epidemic of employees (and yes, even Genius Bar employees) who fit the descriptions provided by previous posters.
Like anywhere, some employees are better than others, more or less knowledgable, more or less helpful, even just simply more or less rude.

It's important to always keep in mind that, although Apple is sometimes viewed as having ethereal qualities, particularly when it comes to customer care (and I'll happily say they are usually very good), they are still a business with financial incentive to avoid repairing/replacing things when
they can. Sometimes the end goal of making a profit means edging to the side of making a happy customer (who will hopefully offer repeat business),
other times it simply means avoiding expenditure any way possible.

Apple's big specialty, and a large driving force of their success, is that they usually do a very good job of making customers feel like they go above and beyond, and that they offer an overall good value for the purchase. Notice I say "feel like"; how much of it is real vs just a bit of show, is not always clear. Some subtle psychological trickery has been reported in their training materials:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...n_1840091.html
timmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #29
acourtwdw
DIS Veteran

If the OP had taken the product back to the Best Buy where the purchase was made, the product would have been fixed or replaced under Apples warranty per the agreement that BBY has with Apple.
Places we've stayed at WDW:Carribean Beach, Animal Kingdom Lodge, All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music, Cornado Springs, Saratoga Springs, Boardwalk Villas, Old Key West, Beach Club Villas, Bay Lake Towers, Fort Wilderness Campground, Port Orleans, Dixie Landings

Other Disney Properties:Hilton Head, Vero Beach, Disneyland Hotel, Disney Cruise Line, Platinum, baby! (including the WBTA 2010 and Hawaii Oct 2012) and Disneyland Paris
acourtwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #30
andysomma1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praying Colonel View Post
Reminds me of this:

"I asked myself what is the most mind-numbing, pedestrian job conceivable and three answers came to mind: a toll booth employee, an Apple store genius, and what penny does. Because I don't like touch other peoples' coins and I refuse to contribute to the devaluation of the word genius, here I am."

andysomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: