Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #1996
Bishope2
Earning My Ears

Greetings,
I just booked the GF for next year. Sorry folks, no discount. I booked what they are calling a "Garden View" room. It will only be two of us. I also requested a King Bed.

So, with that said, I did not make a request for a certain building or room because we have never stayed at the GF. I was wondering, can you folks familiar with the GF offer your suggestions for a specific room and or building that would qualify for the "Garden View" with a King Bed? I would like to call back with a specific request. Let's assume there will be no construction going on at the time. We are looking at later in the year for our trip.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #1997
jojomickey
Mouseketeer

I believe most of the rooms that are garden view are in The Big Pine Key and I think anything in the other buildings that would be facing the pool. Some in the conch key and Boca Chica. If I were to book a Garden view room I think I would like the Big Pine Key. Happy planning!!!!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #1998
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojomickey View Post
When were you there? We didn't see a bounceback offer in our room !!!
The room discount bounceback's first day was December 2. I called December 1, and they told me the current offer (for about a 2 week period in a certain month), was expiring that day and to call the next morning because something new might show up. The next morning, they had the room discount bounceback with all the dates for the next year, so we were able to book a bounceback. We checked out that day, so there were not any cards in the rooms yet. I don't know when the cards were put in the rooms, or if they are even there yet.

I will say that we have bounced back for several years and the dates seemed to be more restrictive for 2013, and also they no longer apply the bounceback to your full stay as long as you check in on a bounceback date. If the bounceback is only good the first 3 days of your stay, you only get the discount those 3 days. It seemed like there were a lot of times the bounceback cut off in the middle of the week in the times we were checking.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #1999
jojomickey
Mouseketeer

Thanks, we checked out on dec 1 so I guess we missed out!!!!! We will have to wait and see what kind of specials they come out with for 2013 I need two rooms. That is great for you.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:58 AM   #2000
jcondrad
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone!! We are here now until Monday and had a rough start...first night we all caught a stomach bug and stayed in the room all night! Not feeling 100% yet but much better.

We had a fire alarm test yesterday around 3pm, only problem was club level staff never informed us it was a test (even though we were out in the lounge and at their desk around 230). We all were sleeping, after being up all night, and started to leave when our kind neighbors came and told us the staff told them it was a test!

We have TPV so construction views don't bother us. Heard a little bit of noise in the afternoon, but nothing major.

We haven't gotten a bounce back flyer yet, but we book AP rates so I'm not really looking.

So far we are loving RPC...the offerings are triple what the BC offered! And the monorail is a big plus with kids in strollers.

Let me know if anyone wants me to find out anything!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Old 12-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #2001
phyllis1966
DIS addict who eats vicariously through others on the Restaurant Board
It makes me feel old when a young whippersnapper calls me "ma'am"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishope2 View Post
Greetings,
I just booked the GF for next year. Sorry folks, no discount. I booked what they are calling a "Garden View" room. It will only be two of us. I also requested a King Bed.

So, with that said, I did not make a request for a certain building or room because we have never stayed at the GF. I was wondering, can you folks familiar with the GF offer your suggestions for a specific room and or building that would qualify for the "Garden View" with a King Bed? I would like to call back with a specific request. Let's assume there will be no construction going on at the time. We are looking at later in the year for our trip.

Thanks
Hello!

Every building has rooms that are considered GV - Big Pine Key's GV rooms overlook the pool, and often, the roof of the pool bar if youre higher up and the back of the buliding if youre on a lower floor - we were not fans of that view when we were placed there on one of our trips. If you request Conch Key, you will have a view of either the pool or the marina. Sago Cay's GV rooms afford views of the marina or the trees/monorail. Boca Chica's GV views are of the pool.

Have a great trip!

May 2006::December 2006 - surprise 40th Birthday family trip!!!
November 2007::November 2009::November 2010
November 2011 - GF surprised us with upgrade to RPC-TPV!::October 2012 - GF surprised us again - upgraded to Sugarloaf for 20th Anniversary!::July 2014 - Aulani!

Our little family: DH and me ~ DD15 ~ Gracie
Old 12-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #2002
Bishope2
Earning My Ears

GREAT! Thanks to all that replied. I book with an actual person versus online. If I pull my reservation up online, can I make the request on that page or do I need to speak to someone and have the request placed in my reservation?
Old 12-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #2003
tamj
Earning My Ears

UGH, so sorry you all got sick there. I hope you're feeling better today and can enjoy the rest of your vacation.

I'm still looking for an update on G. Grill and Games if you can get one. We're scheduled to be there on Sunday. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcondrad View Post
Hi everyone!! We are here now until Monday and had a rough start...first night we all caught a stomach bug and stayed in the room all night! Not feeling 100% yet but much better.

We had a fire alarm test yesterday around 3pm, only problem was club level staff never informed us it was a test (even though we were out in the lounge and at their desk around 230). We all were sleeping, after being up all night, and started to leave when our kind neighbors came and told us the staff told them it was a test!

We have TPV so construction views don't bother us. Heard a little bit of noise in the afternoon, but nothing major.

We haven't gotten a bounce back flyer yet, but we book AP rates so I'm not really looking.

So far we are loving RPC...the offerings are triple what the BC offered! And the monorail is a big plus with kids in strollers.

Let me know if anyone wants me to find out anything!

Old 12-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #2004
jcondrad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamj
UGH, so sorry you all got sick there. I hope you're feeling better today and can enjoy the rest of your vacation.

I'm still looking for an update on G. Grill and Games if you can get one. We're scheduled to be there on Sunday. Thanks!
Thank you! I checked in on GG and it looks like the painting is done but they don't look like they are ready to open. Club staff still says the 17th though.

I don't have much faith in their answers though. We just had an incident with construction in the room above us. My husband asked the staff if there was construction going on. He told him no, not at this hour. He made him come to the room so he heard it too. Spoke with a manager and they said they don't have the authority to tell them to stop. They offered to move our room...but with two small kids and lots of luggage moving at 9pm was not ideal, plus we are RPC TPV, can't imagine they have any rooms in that category away from the construction. They said 10 is the quiet time, apparently it's some urgent issue with the exhaust needing to be fixed.

Anyone know who to contact for complaints if the manager can't do anything?

Old 12-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #2005
tamj
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcondrad View Post
Thank you! I checked in on GG and it looks like the painting is done but they don't look like they are ready to open. Club staff still says the 17th though.

I don't have much faith in their answers though. We just had an incident with construction in the room above us. My husband asked the staff if there was construction going on. He told him no, not at this hour. He made him come to the room so he heard it too. Spoke with a manager and they said they don't have the authority to tell them to stop. They offered to move our room...but with two small kids and lots of luggage moving at 9pm was not ideal, plus we are RPC TPV, can't imagine they have any rooms in that category away from the construction. They said 10 is the quiet time, apparently it's some urgent issue with the exhaust needing to be fixed.

Anyone know who to contact for complaints if the manager can't do anything?

Thanks for the update. Sorry about the noise issue. I don't think the RPC has scheduled construction going on right now, so maybe it was an urgent fix. I think we fill our minds (and empty our wallets) for a GRAND vacation that it's hard to overlook somethings-like the ability to let small children who are worn out from the day get some sleep later at night. I don't know who to call. The manager of the resort helped us last year when it seemed everything was wrong at each corner turned. It's not usually like that there. Too bad you guys left w/a bad taste in your mouth.
Again, I appreciate the update. I was thinking about upgrading from TPV to SLC if the Grill was closed still. The 17th would be awesome. I'll keep praying that it works out for then and see what they say when we arrive on Sunday.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #2006
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Smile

Sorry if this has already been posted and I missed it:

Gingerbread Cookies
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

Makes about 36 cookies

2 sticks softened butter
2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
2 eggs
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 2/3 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 1/4 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground star anise
1 teaspoon ground fennel
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground clove
1/4 teaspoon ground mace

Directions:
1. Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until smooth using an electric mixer. Add the eggs and mix all until combined.
2. In a separate large bowl, sift all the remaining dry ingredients in and mix well.
3. With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture until a dough forms
4. Remove dough from the bowl and wrap in plastic wrap; place in refrigerator until firm, approximately two to four hours.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Remove dough from refrigerator and allow dough to sit at room temperature until pliable. (approximately 15 minutes.)
7. Divide dough in half and place on floured work surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out until about 1/8 inch thick. While rolling, flour the work surface and rolling pin as needed.
8. Cut out desired cookie shapes with cookie cutters. Transfer cookies to a greased cookie sheet, placing them about 1 inch apart.
9. Bake until firm and edges begin to darken, approximately 10-14 minutes.

For those of you who may be searching for a specific recipe, please send them to info@magically-speaking.com. If you have any food photos, make sure to send them to the same address for our Foodie Pic of the Month pics!
Old 12-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #2007
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Tim K from DVCNews has twittered artist renderings of the interior of a villa at the GF:
https://twitter.com/DVCNews/status/2...035200/photo/1

WDWKOOK, thanks for sharing the gingerbread recipe with all of us.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #2008
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23 View Post
Tim K from DVCNews has twittered artist renderings of the interior of a villa at the GF:

Oh my, that turquoise chair is, um, bright. And the brown naughahyde covering on the banquette seating is an interesting choice. Presumably a designer made these choices, but not what I would choose for myself. Thanks for the link, BCV23. The living room seems small based on the way the turquoise chair and footstool is placed in front of the sofa bed and the way the round dinning table is situated vis a viz. the seating - wonder what they'll look like in real life.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #2009
CaliforniaDreaming
#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

Quote:

BCV23, you get the gold star for the day for posting the link! I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I'm pleasantly surprised. I know I can't make a full judgement until I see the interiors in person, but I do like it so far.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:29 AM   #2010
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:

You're welcome! BTW, I mostly lurk over here so I may have missed it, but what has happened to your lovely GF thread hostess?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: