Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacaju

And a good breeder will do the exact same thing. I honestly have to say...I am so tried of breeders getting a bad rap. Like anything else...there are great breeders and not so great ones..the trick is doing your homework.

OP are you near Fitchburg? There is an all breed Dog show the first weekend in Jan I can get you the info if you are interested.
I was referring to adopting through a rescue instead of directly via the humane society. The atmosphere at a humane society is usually so unnerving and chaotic for a dog that its difficult to get a good feel of the dog's personality whereas a rescue has the dog in foster homes and have a better ability in my opinion to get to know the dog in a more calm and normal environment.

OP don't give up on the local shelters and rescue groups. They do get purebreds if that is what you want - that's how we adopted our latest. And I've seen several since - of various breeds.. Ours asks for a bit higher adoption fee for them. Put yourself in contact with them. They have connections and often the humane societies contact them directly when they have good, adoptable dogs. They know what's out there on a weekly basis. Ours pulls from various surrounding county shelters all the time.

Someone up thread mentioned waiting until after the holidays when the reality of the cute, impulse puppies as presents hits. Many end up at the shelters or rescues soon after the holiday.

Good luck! I'm sure it's hard to tell the kids to be patient.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: