Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #16
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

I hear your concerns. My DH also snores and my DS5 wakes up around 5:30 am. So between the two of them, I can't sleep in a standard room either and there are only 3 of us! Ear plugs are FABULOUS! Another option could be a junior suite at CSR or two rooms at any mod. It will probably only cost you a little more than a standard room at AKL, but would give you a lot more room.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #17
brucerob62
Mouseketeer

brucerob62

By the way how much are those earplugs at target? MY wife says i snore like a freight train..and my 12 yr old gets annoyed when i snore on the couch so im thinking ..those may come in handy for those 2 ..when we go to AKV in march ..we have a studio booked also.
brucerob62 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #18
PixieNette
Earning My Ears

What kind of earplugs are you guys getting? I have been looking and none say "anti-snore!" :-)

I need something that will truly keep us from hearing a freight train coming through our room!
PixieNette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #19
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moopdog View Post
So I guess waiting until the last minute to rent points...does NOT give me a chance for getting them cheaper, huh?! I know some of you are probably having a good laugh at that thought, right?

Oh well....I guess I was being naive and hopeful. But more naive than hopeful.
It's true that you can sometimes get good deals on last-minute rentals.....in terms of the cost. The problem is, the availability isn't there. Most DVC owners make their reservations between 7-11 months out, so by a couple of months out, your choices are very limited.

That said, you may still find availability at the largest resorts - SSR and OKW, and maybe even AKV, at this point. I'd say it's worth a try. Check out our DVC Rent/Trade board, check out David's Vacation Club Rentals
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #20
Spunky946
DIS Veteran

Did you look under special offers tab on disneyworld.com? There is a 35% discount that is available for akv for your dates. It's book by 12/31. That's how we got a 1 bedroom for Jan 19-27th. We were going to go into a studio and decided to upgrade to the villa.

You can do the discount and add dining and tickets and have the discount applied to the room only. Either way, you are going to Disney.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #21
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Most grocery stores or drug stores sell foam ear plugs. Get the ones with a 32 or 33 NRR. You won't hear a thing. They usually come in a small package of about ten pairs for around $3 or $4.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #22
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

For all the snorer's.....try some Breathright strips. My DH uses them and they work really well.

I always bring ear plugs on vacay in case of noisey neighbours. I like the silicone ones that you warm up in your hand and then mold to the shape of your ear. I've tried the foam ones and find that they fall out too easily.

dancin Disney style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #23
akl-fan
DIS Veteran

Have you thought about the cabins at fort wilderness. You would have a separate bedroom and the cost would be less than your room at AKL. You could even cook some meals and not do the ddp.
So ok the cabins are not as fab as AKL but they are in the moderate catagory and you can get a boat direct to MK.
akl-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #24
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerob62 View Post
By the way how much are those earplugs at target? MY wife says i snore like a freight train..and my 12 yr old gets annoyed when i snore on the couch so im thinking ..those may come in handy for those 2 ..when we go to AKV in march ..we have a studio booked also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieNette View Post
What kind of earplugs are you guys getting? I have been looking and none say "anti-snore!" :-)

I need something that will truly keep us from hearing a freight train coming through our room!
These are the ones I buy
http://www.target.com/p/6-boxes-36-p...&term=earplugs

fyi - this price is for 6 boxes. One box is about $4.00 in the store.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #25
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Most grocery stores or drug stores sell foam ear plugs. Get the ones with a 32 or 33 NRR. You won't hear a thing.
Oh if only that were true.

Despite everything, DH and I slept apart for something like 4 years, until he was FINALLY diagnosed with sleep apnea (worst case his doctor had seen in 5 years, and his doctor works at a big sleep clinic in Seattle). He got a VPAP (like a CPAP, but the air pressure is Variable) and his pressure is set at near hurricane strength. The machine is actually pretty loud, too, but recently he got a new, better, mask and I can FINALLY sleep through the night (unless he gets a leak in the mask...that wakes me through the serious earplugs).

For those who snore badly or who have people who snore badly in their lives...I might recommend a sleep study! The snorer in my life is a lot safer now...he is less likely to die in his sleep from HIS body trying to kill him, and he's less likely to die while sleeping from ME killing him...sleep deprivation by snoring starts to make you somewhat bonkers!

OP, I know you want AKL (did you look into a rental, by the way?), but a less expensive villa would be OKW. Lovely, BIG, and the points for it are lower so a rental price would be lower. Might be worth looking into. Very very different than AKL, though.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: