Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #31
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBChicinMaine View Post
I'm Christine Doyle Zachman!
Oh I know you! Ha. I knew there was someone from Maine that liked the Packers I just couldn't connect it with the names I knew
Old 12-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #32
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Guys, I believe I've been jipped!
DH says we can't go back to Disney for a while because he wants to use vacation money to "go new places"

I just realized we're going to Vegas in the summer (which is going to cost the same as two adults to Disney for 5 days) and we've been there like, ten times!

What the heck. Why did I agree to that! Too late now, we already invited friends

Bummer!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #33
Sam33
DIS Veteran

My mom has the ride interests of 2 year olds

I'm going to try and get a few updates in today. I've been crazy busy lately since I work on my own schedule and I'm trying to get my monthly work in all in the first half of the month since I LOVE CHRISTMAS! So I've been working every day and waking up stupid early and I'm super grouchy (I may be married and graduated but I'm still on a teenager sleep schedule, I just can't wake up early even when I go to bed early!)

So, like I mentioned in a post earlier, we rode Maelstrom somewhere around there. I think it was between wherever we were eating when we realized mom lost her mug and when we picked up her pearl.
Since we were thoroughly full of food and slightly buzzed we decided it was time to head over to future world and kill time before our 6:45 reservation at the Coral Reef. Along the way we spotted a family trying to get a picture and having that one guy left out so we offered to help and they offered to take one of us! I love when that happens!

(side note: that picture of me and my mom on the bridge had a sort of funny, worth mentioning, story. I have a front screen on my camera so you can take self portraits and be able to see the picture you're about to take. It was new so we sat there for about 20 minutes trying to figure out how to turn it on and 20 seconds after we figured it out and tried to take a picture of ourselves someone came by to take one for us! And then I spent the rest of the trip trying to turn the front screen OFF. )

Now, my lack of pictures and forgetting to take trip notes has me confused on the order of things so I'm just going to make it up! I know what we did before dinner but I just can't seem to remember the order.

We headed to The Land even though Soarin was crazy and out of fast passes because we wanted to ride Living with the Land! I LOVE this ride! I just love the atmosphere once you get into the green house area and I'd never been on the ride at night time so that was new. It was a little weird compared to the day time. It makes sense for it to be sunny but at night it was just weird.
There was this adorable little girl with her dad sitting behind us and he was explaining everything to her and it was adorable! We passed the part with the wheat and barley growing and he goes "That's barley, we use that to make beverages!" and I couldn't help but crack up. I love barley beverages!
My mom really enjoyed the ride, too. It's so educational in an entirely interesting way!

After Living with the Land we headed over to The Seas! I just love this area. I've always loved animals and zoos and so has my mom so we ended up spending a ton of time here! We apparently took a break before going in the building because I remember sitting on a bench and watching a huge family decide to get in line and one of the adult couples was stopped because they had full margaritas and the CM was gonna have them drink it or throw it out (obviously, you can't take margaritas on a ride sillies!) and they were like "what! You want us to chug our $13 margaritas?" and they did! It was amusing, but I was impressed. Chugging anything frozen is tough. We followed them in shortly after that to ride Nemo.

It was so busy that day but Nemo was a walk on as usual. We pondered what the parks look like when they actually use all that line they have for that Nemo ride. It's insane. But I love the line, it's so cool!
I have no idea why I was so worried that my mom would think the toddler rides were stupid and that she would complain about them. She was in AWE of Nemo. NEMO! I mean, I love that ride because I love Nemo and the aquarium part is awesome but she was like seriously impressed.
Even though the ride got super slowed down because of wheel chair people causing the audio to get really messed up she was impressed. I was confused but happy. Why did I worry so much about her having a good time on this trip?!!?

We spent a good hour in the aquarium. The manatees were awake and active which was super neat! Last time we could see their tails through the door to their other area and that was it but they were spinning and rolling and swimming like crazy! Half of me was happy that they were okay but the other half was sad seeing their mangled tails and sad that they had to be rescued.

We still had time to kill and mom was like "Let's ride NEMO AGAIN!!!!". Whelp, alright, I don't see why not. This was one of her few requests to ride a ride again (not counting long line rides where we didn't have the option to ride again)

At about this time I was starting to feel like crap. I don't know why I thought I could eat all that junk and have so many cocktails and not feel the indigestion later. Now, I'm not going to give you the details, but I will describe it as medium discomfort. It was an inconvenience, I didn't feel swell, it kind of affected my mood, but I wasn't about to miss dinner over it so we headed over to the Coral Reef, we were a little early but we got seated within a couple of minutes. There were several people I overheard talking about how their wait was about an hour! That's nuts. I don't think I would ever wait an hour for a dinner at Disney World. That's a seriously expensive hour. Especially in Epcot when you have so many great quick options. AND during food and wine. I mean, obviously if I had made an ADR and there was a long wait even with the reservation I would wait a bit, but not a whole hour.

We were seated in the second row right up against the wall and had a great view of the tank! It was quiet and nice and our server was great so far. We took our drink order and we got some appetizers as well (well, mom got Lobster Bisque)
I didn't want to be too disruptive in the dark restaurant so I took one picture that got both cocktails, the soup, AND the bread

I had the lobster ravioli last time and was excited to try it's replacement, the lobster mac & cheese-like dish. Mom got the Mahi Mahi

I liked the old ravioli more. It was okay but I assume all that cheese paired with my indigestion affected my tastes a bit. The lobster meat was super good, though, and there was a lot of it.

Mom LOVED the Mahi Mahi. It was her favorite food of the trip so far (she says this after almost every meal the rest of the week, though. Don't get too excited)

The plan was to get dessert, I'd been wanting to try the Jack Daniels mousse. But I just felt too bad and mom was full!
The waitress asked if we wanted dessert and we said a very decisive no. She pushed us a bit but we declined more. 3 minutes later she arrives with a dessert menu! Okay, now we're pissed.

5 minutes later she returns...with The Wave dessert in hand. Okay, well now we feel awful! It was my mom's bday that day if you recall and I had put it on the reservation! The waitress had been pushing us so hard because she wanted to give us a free dessert! A REAL free dessert, not a crappy cupcake!
And then my mom felt ultra bad because she bit into the bundt cake part of the wave and was in awe of how good it was. She said it was the best dessert she had ever eaten. I don't like cake so I just ate the sorbet part.

It was about 8PM when we finished eating and decided to go back to the hotel. It had been a long day and we had been up since 6AM. I came up with another time to watch Illuminations later in the trip since originally we were going to watch it this night. We were pooped and I wanted to get back to the room!
Of course, the only resort that had a line for the bus was Riverside. We didn't make it onto the first bus and got stuck behind a fighting family. I'm talking yelling loudly and then telling the husband to go sit on a bench and have the daughter go sit on a separate bench. They were not having a great night! We ended up talking to them as the wait got longer and they seemed nice despite the bad night. We barely got on the bus and had to stand which ended up being a usual thing for this trip. We just happened to be at the tail end of every bus line.

We finally made it back to the resort and went straight to the room to go to sleep!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #34
GBChicinMaine
Earning My Ears

Love the "NOOOOOOOOO" gif. LOL

Disney Dream 4 Night Bahamian Cruise - 9/11/11
Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamian Cruise - 9/24/09
Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamian Cruise - 2/21/08
Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamian Cruise - 5/3/07
Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamian Cruise - 1/11/07
Old 12-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #35
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBChicinMaine View Post
Love the "NOOOOOOOOO" gif. LOL
To be honest, between getting home and starting the TR I was like "I gotta fit in my favorite Michael Scott .gif"
And that was the perfect time! I've never said no so much in my life
Old 12-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #36
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Nice update Sam! I love the "barley beverages" story!

Yay for repeat rides, even if they're maybe not the most exciting ones.

Bummer that you didn't pick up on what the server was trying to do for you in regard to dessert. That sounds like something I'd do.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #37
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Nice update Sam! I love the "barley beverages" story!

Yay for repeat rides, even if they're maybe not the most exciting ones.

Bummer that you didn't pick up on what the server was trying to do for you in regard to dessert. That sounds like something I'd do.
we felt so bad but we appreciated it! We put our honeymoon on every adr and we got one crappy cupcake at one meal and nothing else and my mom gets a huge awesome dessert and a fancy card from Mickey in the room! I'm so bitter. Lol
Old 12-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #38
Sam33
DIS Veteran

You know that feeling of waking up earlier than you're used to? But you're in Disney so you're excited and pop out of bed and start getting ready even though you're PROBABLY still technically asleep? And you start getting ready as fast as you can so maybe you can actually get breakfast AND make rope drop? Today was one of those days. Mom showered the night before so we was still asleep and I was like "GOTTA GET READY GOTTA GET READY HURRY SHOWER DO EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW!" and, like I said earlier, I was probably still technically sleeping.
In order to save plenty of room for souvenirs, I decided to buy travel sized versions of everything and stick it in one little bag.
Well, first things first, gotta brush my teeth. That morning breath is a killer. Pick up the nearest small white tube and put it on my cute little travel sized toothbrush and get 'er goin'.
"Wow, this is weird toothpaste"
"Ugh, remind me never to get this in full size!"

"OMG"

"AH AHH UHH!"

"what the heck is wrong with this toothpaste!"

And I just kept brushing thinking "I GOTTA brush my teeth today, I'll get new toothpaste before tonight but teeth have to be brushed! I'll just have to persevere"

At this point I'm pretty loudly "ahhhh"-ing and almost crying but I'm an adult and I never cry so I wasn't really.... (this is where the whistle-y guy emoticon goes but I don't see it)

My mom wakes up and is very curious. What could I have possibly messed up at 7am in the bathroom?

Well, you know what kind of tube looks a lot like travel sized toothpaste when it's upside down? And you know what looks an awful lot like Colgate brand toothpaste you squeeze it out onto your brush?
I reach towards that upside down tube that I had used on my toothbrush, and whaddya know! It wasn't toothpaste at all, but in fact, it was Icy Hot.

I brushed my teeth with Icy Hot.
Not only did I brush my teeth with Icy Hot. But I KEPT GOING.

And with that, I tell you, always wait 15 minutes between waking up and brushing your teeth. Do some jumping jacks, start brewing your coffee, whatever! And always store your toothpaste away from other tubes, logo side up.

After that debacle we rushed through breakfast (our usual banana, croissant, oj, coffee) and headed to the bus stop to go to Animal Kingdom! This is one of my favorite parks but we never spend much time here and I knew it would be my mom's favorite. She loves animals and was really looking forward to this park after watching "Modern Marvels: WDW". She asked at MK AND Epcot "is that big tree here?" so she was pretty excited.

We showed up at it was pretty freaking busy. Bag check lines were enormous and I realized there had been a 5K at Animal Kingdom this morning
I was pretty stressed already and I warned my mom of our plans. We had two headliners to get out of the way before I could relax.
So we finally get in and guess who has to go to the bathroom! So I hold her stupid mug while she takes her time
"MOM YOU DON'T GET IT! WE HAVE TO GO NOW!"

So we rushed through down to Kilimanjaro Safari and hopped in the line (about 10 minutes at this point). It took 7 minutes (I timed it!) and we hopped on our Safari Bus, row 1!

This was the worst safari ever. We saw 1 giraffe, none of the cattle with the big horns and of course none of the big cats.
The elephants were active and the zebra were neat so that was cool. But I was SO bummed that the thing I thought my mom would love most was so lame. She said she loved it but I think she was just humoring me.

baby rhino!

I tired to enjoy the safari this time since usually I worry about pictures the whole time and I've started to realize I can't even tell the difference between trips so what's the point? I'm always ready in case I see something AMAZING, though.

We grabbed some fast passes (about 11:30ish at this point) and then it was time to book it to Asia!

Expedition Everest was a 20 minute wait but I LOVE the cue and wanted her to see it anyways so we waited.

Look at this big rock!

Did you get enough pictures of that? Hope so.

Well, that ride is freaking amazing! She screamed the whole time but it was happy screams and we promptly decided that we were not leaving the park without one more ride! We couldn't get fast passes yet since our window hadn't opened so we prepared ourselves for one more journey to Asia later on in the day.

Next we headed to Dinosaur! We went right on past the roadside carnival. Mom was quite confused by it. I think it's cute but I don't really get it.

Dinosaur is the scariest ride in all of Disney World.
Actually, it's the scariest ride I've ever been on. Including the big roller coasters at six flags and Knot's Berry Farm and all that. It PETRIFIES me.

My goal this trip was to ride it ALL THE WAY through with my eyes open

Well, once the flying dinosaur that starts with a T that I can't spell and spellcheck keeps telling me "literacy" flies down from the ceiling I had already been further than ever with my eyes open!
And then all of a sudden that STUPID fake carnatosaur attempts to bite my head off (I seriously have to remember what side he's on, it's unavoidable) and I lose it. Eyes don't open until we're safely in the present and my mom is hysterical.
She thought the stupid picture was pretty hilarious seeing as we were riding with 5-7 year olds and they seemed to be handling the meteor shower and being chased by a carnotosaur pretty well

Next we contemplated seeing the Nemo musical but decided we didn't want to sit that long and we headed straight to Expedition Everest and got there about 2 minutes after our window opened.
We headed back to the Safari to use our fast passes. THIS ride was MUCH better. The Savannah part was still pretty lame compared to usual (where are you giraffes!) but we got a pretty good view of everyone else!
I tried not to take pictures constantly this time.
But this bird was RIGHT THERE so I just HAD to

And the Hippo was out! So I had to snap that, too

Well, the ones that were actually out didn't appear too well in picture form so you'll have to settle with that one.
And this guy was just TOO CUTE

I love his strut. Like "what up I'm just struttin past this water hole"

Everybody was stopped and looking somewhere else and I was like "OHMYGOSH LOOK!" and the rhinos just walked right in front of our car like they didn't even look both ways

So I was like "now's my chance to get a great rhino picture" I steady my shot, about to get it right on, and that jerk turns right as I snap it as if he planned it that way

And then I had to get a picture of the zebras since they're new

So much for that!

We decided it was about time for lunch so we headed to Flame Tree. I had been wanting to try it for a while so I was excited.
"hey mom, we should split the chicken, since it's a whole half chicken"
She didn't quite understand that it was an ACTUAL half chicken and said "no I'm hungry!"
Okay...but don't get mad when I only eat half!

So we order and she's like "holy cow!" TOLD YOU! Oh well, we decide to go find a nice place to sit and laughed at everyone right by the chaos of the food station when there were completely empty areas on the water!
We walked through several seating areas, being picky, before settling on this beauty of a table

A better food picture

This was FANTASTIC tasting! I was SO amazing. I never want to eat anywhere else at AK again. So juicy and had great flavor! I got a side of fries because I don't like beans and coleslaw and we sat and enjoyed the view. I think I called DH at this point to brag about my lunch view!

Then we headed back to Everest. The yeti ALMOST got us this time! We got photopass pictures after that and that's when I realized I looked like crap this day so I don't think I bought any of them. I was wearing my "I believe" shirt. It has a Yeti on it! My favorite beer is the Yeti Stout from Great Divide Brewing out of Denver and the photopass lady was like "nice shirt! Is it from here?" And I was like, "no! It's a brewery actually...."
The Yeti DOES look a bit like bigfoot, it's white but it's in that classic bigfoot stance from that video evidence. I love it!
I'll post a pic later, we have one that's half decent by the tree of life later one.
Next was the Forest Trails and then it was time to head out!
Cool umbrella

Bats!

The tiger enclosure is my FAVORITE part of the park. I LOVE the themeing

Last edited by Sam33; 12-10-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #39
Sam33
DIS Veteran

(continued)

Next we headed out of the Maharajah Jungle Trek, and off to the Pangani Forest Trail. With a photopass pit stop at the Tree of Life!

See the yeti?!

We saw Devine on the way! She was awesome. Not moving much, though. And then we braved the mess that is Africa on a busy day. We couldn't move, it was AWFUL. Safari wait was over an hour and it was NUTS there. We cut straight through and went to the Trail which wasn't too busy actually. We even took a break on a nice bench for a bit.

Apparently I only took two pictures on the forest trail. A little bird and a meerkat...neither picture worth sharing
The gorillas were AWESOME and we sat and watched them for a while...taking no pictures...

There was one thing I wanted before leaving the park, a Yak Attak! So we headed to the Dawa Bar because I read you could get one there.
THAT IS WRONG INFO, PEOPLE! It was not there! And it never has been! We didn't feel like trekking back to Asia so we just got a less cool cocktail and sat down and made some more phone calls. To dad this time!

It was a raspberry colada!

It was yummy. I love any kind of colada

We exited the park and got one last picture in front of the tree. The ones on my camera were just as good at the photopass ones so we didn't buy them

We ran into a drive change which was annoying. They took FOREVER and wouldn't let us get on while they walked around the bus. Then they had to drop the other guy off at the water park. It made a long bus ride that much longer. We did some shopping when we got back to the resort, we wanted mickey sweatshirts for the night at MK since it was going to get a little chilly! We debated resting or hanging out by the pool. We had a 6:00 PM dinner reservation at Tony's and MK was open until 3AM that night. We decided on a 30 minute nap and then we hung out by the pool for a bit! In our new sweatshirts lol

Mom got merlot

And I got a Coconut mojito. It was disgusting but I finished it. I'll stick to regular mojitos!

That's the end of this update! Up next is our attempt at MK on a 9/10 touring day with 3AM EMH.

LOL YEAH RIGHT.

Last edited by Sam33; 12-10-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #40
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam33 View Post
You know that feeling of waking up earlier than you're used to? But you're in Disney so you're excited and pop out of bed and start getting ready even though you're PROBABLY still technically asleep? And you start getting ready as fast as you can so maybe you can actually get breakfast AND make rope drop? Today was one of those days. Mom showered the night before so we was still asleep and I was like "GOTTA GET READY GOTTA GET READY HURRY SHOWER DO EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW!" and, like I said earlier, I was probably still technically sleeping.
In order to save plenty of room for souvenirs, I decided to buy travel sized versions of everything and stick it in one little bag.
Well, first things first, gotta brush my teeth. That morning breath is a killer. Pick up the nearest small white tube and put it on my cute little travel sized toothbrush and get 'er goin'.
"Wow, this is weird toothpaste"
"Ugh, remind me never to get this in full size!"

"OMG"

"AH AHH UHH!"

"what the heck is wrong with this toothpaste!"

And I just kept brushing thinking "I GOTTA brush my teeth today, I'll get new toothpaste before tonight but teeth have to be brushed! I'll just have to persevere"

At this point I'm pretty loudly "ahhhh"-ing and almost crying but I'm an adult and I never cry so I wasn't really.... (this is where the whistle-y guy emoticon goes but I don't see it)

My mom wakes up and is very curious. What could I have possibly messed up at 7am in the bathroom?

Well, you know what kind of tube looks a lot like travel sized toothpaste when it's upside down? And you know what looks an awful lot like Colgate brand toothpaste you squeeze it out onto your brush?
I reach towards that upside down tube that I had used on my toothbrush, and whaddya know! It wasn't toothpaste at all, but in fact, it was Icy Hot.

I brushed my teeth with Icy Hot.
Not only did I brush my teeth with Icy Hot. But I KEPT GOING.

And with that, I tell you, always wait 15 minutes between waking up and brushing your teeth. Do some jumping jacks, start brewing your coffee, whatever! And always store your toothpaste away from other tubes, logo side up.
I've gotta stop right here and insert some emoticons!!!! I can't even wait to get to the end of the chapter. Hilarious!

I love the line "Ugh, remind me never to get this in full size!"

Oh my gosh, Sam!

I think Icy Hot is what you brush your teeth with after you've eaten a bagle with Crisco on it.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #41
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123

I've gotta stop right here and insert some emoticons!!!! I can't even wait to get to the end of the chapter. Hilarious!

I love the line "Ugh, remind me never to get this in full size!"

Oh my gosh, Sam!

I think Icy Hot is what you brush your teeth with after you've eaten a bagle with Crisco on it.
Oh my gosh I forgot about your crisco story! Bahahaha!
We need help!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #42
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Had to come back 'cause I wasn't quite done commenting, but had to get to work. Darn work.

"Is that big tree here?" Good thing you mom had you along as a guide.

Hey, that's a great picture of a rhino butt, if that's what you were going for.

I love saying "a whole half" and do so whenever I can! "Are you going to that whole half?" (But I'm easily amused.)

I'm glad your mom liked Animal Kingdom!
Old 12-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #43
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Joining in! ( I am from the facebook Nov. group too) Fun trip. I am so glad your Mom enjoyed it so much.
We were there the same time, though I think we were at different parks so far. But we WERE at MK on that Sat with the insane crowd levels. Sadly I was a tad under the weather and we didn't make it late like we normally do. I'm sure after midnight the park had to have cleared a little bit.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #44
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Joining in! ( I am from the facebook Nov. group too) Fun trip. I am so glad your Mom enjoyed it so much.
We were there the same time, though I think we were at different parks so far. But we WERE at MK on that Sat with the insane crowd levels. Sadly I was a tad under the weather and we didn't make it late like we normally do. I'm sure after midnight the park had to have cleared a little bit.
Yay! Welcome! We left pretty early, too. Indigestion and we were sick of the crowds! We'll save that for the next update, though
It's a thrilling story I promise....
Old 12-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #45
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

Late to the party, sorry! :

Ok, gonna go backwards....

Our EE picture was awful! Like you couldn't pay me to show it. Grimace face all the way.

We have had great luck on early morning safaris, but I think the drivers know exactly when you are about to take "the" picture. Ugh.

I've never been to a crowded AK before, I can't picture it! Lol

Icy hot!! Bahahaha!!!!! Was it icy then hot?

Wasn't F&W awesome!! I have to confess, we loved the ravioli. We had tons of cheese on it.

The chances of her mug being found are crazy! Lucky lady.

We were at RD for MK on the 9th too! It was a beautiful day.

I'm glad you forced your mom to go and that she loved it!
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)

Last edited by Caretames1; 12-16-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: