Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

AirTran????

Has anyone had experience flying AirTran?

Their airfare is definitely cheaper than Southwest but then there is the whole check baggage fee to add.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks!
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

We flew from Buffalo to Orlando this past August with AirTran.

Our flights were on time and the crew members and ticket people at the airport were helpful and friendly.
Planes seem a bit older and the inside of the plane wasn't cleaned very well, but our flights were smooth. It is no frills so you do pay extra for baggage and snacks (although I think the kids got free cookies). Carry ons were free though.

We would definitely fly with them again if the price was right!
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
goof4ever
Earning My Ears

I used them many times over the years. I never had a problem with any flights.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Southwest bought AirTran and are slowly phasing them out over the next couple of years. They are subleasing some of the AirTran planes to Delta starting in mid 2013.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
Dis_Dreamin
Mouseketeer

In our market (IND), SW phased out some of it's daily nonstops to MCO in their schedule, but added several nonstop Airtran flights (for more $$ than SW nonstops).

I don't see it as a win for us, right now, but we are still flying Airtran because their schedule works better for us with nonstops vs making connections.

I've not heard much bad about Airtran, just don't like the model of paying for every little thing. I hope they eventually move to the same model as SW once the conversion is complete. Open seating, complimentary snacks and drinks, free checked bag. I'm sure it'll be a few years before they are fully converted over.
DIS Dad's Club Member #621 (since 2011)

June 2008 - Port Orleans French Quarter (First Trip)
May 2010 - Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2012 - Caribbean Beach Resort
April 2013 - Coronado Springs Resort (Mom and Dad only Anniversary trip!!)
October 2014 - Coronado Springs Resort
June 2015 - DISDads Dream Cruise

Dis_Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis_Dreamin View Post
In our market (IND), SW phased out some of it's daily nonstops to MCO in their schedule, but added several nonstop Airtran flights (for more $$ than SW nonstops).

I don't see it as a win for us, right now, but we are still flying Airtran because their schedule works better for us with nonstops vs making connections.

I've not heard much bad about Airtran, just don't like the model of paying for every little thing. I hope they eventually move to the same model as SW once the conversion is complete. Open seating, complimentary snacks and drinks, free checked bag. I'm sure it'll be a few years before they are fully converted over.
Once the conversion is complete, there will be no AirTran. With each schedule change, they are moving flights from AirTran to Southwest until eventually there is no AirTran.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...ities/1649647/
Old 12-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
airplanegod
Airline Expert

I never flew with them before, but I hear from other people that they do love them. Yes, Southwest owns Airtran and is currently phasing the airline out. The 737's are going to Southwest colors and the 717's are being leased to Delta.
July 2010-Disneyland (Grand Californian)
April 2011- First Disney Cruise (The Dream)
August 2011-Wilderness Lodge
November 2011-Coronado Springs
April 2012- Second Disney Cruise (The Dream)
April 2012-Bay Lake Tower/Grand Floridian Resort
December 2012-Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas
February 2013- Disneyland (Grand Californian Villas)
April 2013- Day trip to the Magic Kingdom
July 2013- Third Disney Cruise (The Wonder)
May 2014- Fourth Disney Cruise (The Magic)
May 2014- Animal Kingdom Concierge/Grand Floridian Villas
airplanegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
DonnaL
DIS Veteran

Have flown Airtran several times to/from MCO when they were still flying from Lehigh Valley. Always had a good experience with them. They do charge $20 for first checked bag...no charge for carry-on.....which IMO is reasonable....some of the legacy carriers are charging more. However, Airtran does not charge for non-alcoholic beverages or the small snack they serve....does the other poster possibly have them confused with Allegiant.....because Allegiant does charge for everything. We are flying Allegiant to Orlando Sanford next week for the first time.....I've heard decent feedback about Allegiant...except the fact they charge for everything......which is OK for us...since it's only DH and I....we travel very lightly and don't have a lot of needs when flying so we were able to keep our costs for both of us to about $180 one way.

Last edited by DonnaL; 12-09-2012 at 03:19 PM.
DonnaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
WeLuvTink!
DIS Veteran

We LOVE Airtran and wish that Southwest hadn't bought them for fear of the changes ahead. Airtran rocks and gives you credits is the airfare drops after you buy (have to call and ask for the credits).
June 1981 - Fort Wilderness/RV, December 1983 - Fort Wilderness/Cabin, Christmas 1984 - Fort Wilderness/RV, March 1989 - Fort Wilderness/Cabin, February 1991 - Off Site, March 1992 - Off Site, May 1994 - Off Site, December 1995 - Dixie Landings, March 1997 -(Disneyland) Offsite, May 2003 - Fort Wilderness/Cabin, November 2003 - Off Site/Vacation Home, August 2006 - All Star Sports, September 2007 - Pop Century, May 2008 - Off Site/Vacation Condo, September 2008 - All Star Music, August 2009 - All Star Movies, September 2010- Port Orleans Riverside, March 2011 - Off Site/Vacation Condo, September 2011 - Carribean Beach, January 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
WeLuvTink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
DonnaL
DIS Veteran

WeLuvTink.....Southwest also will give you credit if the fare goes down....actually, you don't even need to call them...you can just go online and do it yourself and get the credit for a future flight within one year of the original booking date....have done it many times with SWA. Only thing to keep in mind.....the credit can only be used by the original ticket holder.....used to be you could use the credit within one year and anyone could use it as long as they had the voucher number....it was great when DH, myself and our three adult kids and grandson would go to WDW together (which we paid for)....I would keep watching the fares and usually end up with enough credit for at least one more round trip for DH and I later in the year! We just love Southwest......our only problem is we're tired of driving two hours to/from PHL to fly with them.....
DonnaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
delilah
DIS Veteran

We fly Airtran out of Indianapolis to Orlando routinely. I like Airtrain. Despite a previous poster's statement that Airtran fares are higher than SW, I find the contrary to be the case. I, too, am dreading when the transition to SW is complete, if only because of the circus involving seating. I can foresee, based on my experience, higher airfares, fewer nonstop flights, possibly seating issues. All bad news.
delilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Great airline. Have to say that. My cousin works for them.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #13
lylone
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them

We have also been AirTran flyers for over 7 years. Love the people and the planes have always been clean and comfortable.

I don't mind paying extra to make sure I get to sit where I want and with who I want.

I fear the change to SW and don't think the all the changes will be complete really soon. We just got off a 717 on Saturday and it still had Airtran on it and all the 737s said AirTran as well.
I don't think all the deals and conversions will be complete for at least another year....and dread when that time will come....
lylone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
DeadHead
Mouseketeer

DW & I love Airtran, we love the 717's, the 3/2 configuration works for us as we always grab 2 seats together with no third seat in the aisle. Out of PHL our flights have been on time, ground personnel, and crews have been friendly, and professional. And on most occassions their flights have been the cheapest out of PHL.
DeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
katallo
DIS Veteran

We like Air Tran. SWA has added so many flights with layovers. Air Tran offers more nonstops to Orlando. Plus, the fares at SWA have been really so much more than Air Tran.
katallo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: