Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #1081
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferma View Post
Hi Everyone-- I have been on the disboards as much as I would like.. has anyone heard any recent news about renovation to the rooms? We are going January 15-21st. I am torn between Samoa and Tokelau.

thanks for your advice!
jen
Samoa would be my first choice and Tokelau my second. (Well, Hawaii would be my first choice, but I can't book it due to the renovations - boo!) I like the location of Samoa (near GCH and Captain Cook's) and the fact that the 3rd floor rooms facing the volcano pool have such an amazing view. But if Samoa isn't available, I think the quiet pool side of Tokelau would be great for both view and the central location between GCH and TTC.

Anyone know about the views on the other side of Tokelau?

Tikiman's site still has the renovation for Samoa listed as Jan-March, and the renovation for Tokelau listed as March-May, so if that's confirmed at some point soon, it may be a Tokelau request for me!

P.S. I would simply list the factors that are important to me - balcony, nice view, near GCH. But "nice view" is subjective and "near GCH" could put us in Fiji, and I'd prefer a location like Tokelau or Samoa so that we're not far away from TTC. Not a big deal - nothing is that far - but if we're talking about ideal location, those two buildings meet the criteria!
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon (GF/BWI!)
Old 12-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #1082
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

At the Poly now.

Just finished dinner at Citricos followed by Wishes on the beach.

Had breakfast at Kona and dinner at 'Ohana yesterday.

The Monorail has been down all evening.

Hope it's up and running by tomorrow morning as we have an 8:15 am ADR at Crystal Palace.
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #1083
kathie859
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
At the Poly now.

Just finished dinner at Citricos followed by Wishes on the beach.

Had breakfast at Kona and dinner at 'Ohana yesterday.

The Monorail has been down all evening.

Hope it's up and running by tomorrow morning as we have an 8:15 am ADR at Crystal Palace.
Take the boat that leaves from the beach dock. It's super quick and drops you right by security check. I'd call and check if it'll be running that early.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #1084
sandym718
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post

Anyone know about the views on the other side of Tokelau!
We've stayed in Tokelau 4 times, twice on each side. I love the East side ( not facing the quiet pool). We stayed there in 2007and 2009, first floor. Both those trips the kids still napped. DH and I loved having the lawn area off the patio. We stayed on the patio if we wanted shade, but for sun, we just pulled the chairs onto the lawn in the sun. Just a step off the patio and there's a water view! The walkway on that side is also very far from the building, so that's nice as well.

In 2011, we were on the pool side, in the end room that's really more of a lagoon view. It honestly wasn't my favorite, but it was fine. I just felt like the walkways were close and we couldn't really exit the patio because of the bushes. Whereas the other side, DH and I could take turns going for a walk, to get a snack, etc without having to go through the room and disturb the kids.

This year, we were again pool side and at first I was disappointed, but I ended up loving it. We were about in the middle of that wing (toward the lagoon) and it was such an easy hop to the pool. Just the last one out had to go out the regular door . We went with a group this time and spent a lot of late afternoon time at the quiet pool with cocktails.

So, after all that.... Both sides of Tokealu are Great!!! Both sides have their pluses. For us, having that building and first floor is most important. We'll be returning in 2014 and I don't think I'll request East side as usual, we'll just take what we get (well, as long as it's Tokelau, first floor!)

Previous trips as a child/teen: FW 1985, offsite 1991, Disneyland 1992
Family trips: 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 - all at the Poly!

Old 12-11-2012, 05:57 AM   #1085
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandym718 View Post
We've stayed in Tokelau 4 times, twice on each side. I love the East side ( not facing the quiet pool). We stayed there in 2007and 2009, first floor. Both those trips the kids still napped. DH and I loved having the lawn area off the patio. We stayed on the patio if we wanted shade, but for sun, we just pulled the chairs onto the lawn in the sun. Just a step off the patio and there's a water view! The walkway on that side is also very far from the building, so that's nice as well.

In 2011, we were on the pool side, in the end room that's really more of a lagoon view. It honestly wasn't my favorite, but it was fine. I just felt like the walkways were close and we couldn't really exit the patio because of the bushes. Whereas the other side, DH and I could take turns going for a walk, to get a snack, etc without having to go through the room and disturb the kids.

This year, we were again pool side and at first I was disappointed, but I ended up loving it. We were about in the middle of that wing (toward the lagoon) and it was such an easy hop to the pool. Just the last one out had to go out the regular door . We went with a group this time and spent a lot of late afternoon time at the quiet pool with cocktails.

So, after all that.... Both sides of Tokealu are Great!!! Both sides have their pluses. For us, having that building and first floor is most important. We'll be returning in 2014 and I don't think I'll request East side as usual, we'll just take what we get (well, as long as it's Tokelau, first floor!)
Am on the East side of Tokelou now (first floor) now. Very quiet.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #1086
guitarob
Polynesian Obsessed

Home... Home again... I like to be here, when I can...

We're back in the Hawaii building and it's wonderful as usual. We had a great lunch at the Kona, and are taking it easy for the afternoon before heading out to Narcoossee's for dinner tonight. It's good to be back!

When we get to heaven, We'll hear "ALOHA!" 2010 Trip Report

1978, 1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1990 & 1993: Family trips to the Polynesian,
2001 - All Star Music, 2006 - Polynesian, 2008 - Honeymoon at the Polynesian, 2009 - Anniversary at the Polynesian, 2010 - Another Anniversary at the Polynesian, 2012 - Yet ANOTHER Anniversary at the Polynesian and a Christmas trip to the Polynesian!!!
Old 12-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #1087
Napria
Gotta get back to the nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarob View Post
How's the weather? Do you come back from the parks cold and tired? Is it good to warm your bones beside the fire? Sorry, couldn't resist, lol.

Seriously though, is it warm enough to swim?
Polynesian July 2013 Ft. Wilderness May 2012 Off property March 2012 Ft. Wilderness June 2011 Ft. Wilderness June 2009 Ocala Camping April 2008 Ft. Wilderness January 2007 Tropical Palms RV Resort December 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge & Beach Club Villas December 2003 Wilderness Lodge Villas December 2002 Boardwalk Villas December 2001 Ft. Wilderness February 1981
Old 12-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #1088
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Sandy and Mason, thanks for your Tokelau info - very helpful! Mason, enjoy your stay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarob View Post

We're back in the Hawaii building and it's wonderful as usual. We had a great lunch at the Kona, and are taking it easy for the afternoon before heading out to Narcoossee's for dinner tonight. It's good to be back!
guitarob, enjoy! (And let them know we'd be very appreciative if they would just hold off on that renovation for a few weeks so that we can change our reservation to Hawaii!!!) Have a great time!
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon (GF/BWI!)
Old 12-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #1089
pokes1613
Earning My Ears

29 more days til first trip to Poly for marathon weekend!! Can't wait!!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #1090
TinkerBelle_325
The Disney Foodie and a Polynesian Obsessive!

I will be arriving at the Polynesian on Friday morning staying in Club Level through to the 21st
**NEW** TheDisneyFoodie Blog....coming soon!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #1091
guitarob
Polynesian Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napria View Post
How's the weather? Do you come back from the parks cold and tired? Is it good to warm your bones beside the fire? Sorry, couldn't resist, lol.

Quote:
The weather is ok. It was in the upper 70's and lower 80's all day, overcast and as usual, humid. We had a little rain this evening. I would swim if the water was warm enough, but I didn't check it. Maybe I'll look into it more tomorrow if the mood strikes me and the situation allows. There were plenty of people in the pool though. It wasn't what I'd call crowded, but there was a good sized bunch of people there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
guitarob, enjoy! (And let them know we'd be very appreciative if they would just hold off on that renovation for a few weeks so that we can change our reservation to Hawaii!!!) Have a great time!
I'll mention it, although I doubt it'll do much good. They were actually telling us about the building closing for rehab at check in this morning. It's not so hush-hush anymore, so my best guess is that it's definitely happening in January.

Thank you!! We will have a great time!!

When we get to heaven, We'll hear "ALOHA!" 2010 Trip Report

1978, 1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1990 & 1993: Family trips to the Polynesian,
2001 - All Star Music, 2006 - Polynesian, 2008 - Honeymoon at the Polynesian, 2009 - Anniversary at the Polynesian, 2010 - Another Anniversary at the Polynesian, 2012 - Yet ANOTHER Anniversary at the Polynesian and a Christmas trip to the Polynesian!!!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #1092
princessap
DIS Veteran

will it be busy??

So I checked availability this morning for our trip in March and there is none left for the room only discount....does this mean it will be crazy busy when we go??? It is only a two night stay so we are planning to enjoy the resort on check in and out days and then MK for the new fantasyland and BOG restaurant on the park day! just wondering if it will be packed!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #1093
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Depends on when in march! It can be really busy with Easter and spring break.

But is suspect there were limited RO discounts available- not that the resort is booked out already.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading a No Guilt Life with the help of her friends: Margaritas, Miles & the Mouse

My No-Guilt Life
Old 12-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #1094
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Quote:

2010-Jolly Roger
Disneyworld
2003-AKL-celebrate DH return from Iraq
2009-AKL-Birthday Extravaganza-DS 1st trip
2011-CBR- room
2015-Hoping for a Poly dream trip to celebrate our twins first trip
Old 12-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #1095
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
Depends on when in march! It can be really busy with Easter and spring break.

But is suspect there were limited RO discounts available- not that the resort is booked out already.
We are there March 4-6 so I don't think any holidays are on at that time!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: