Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #1561
BigDaddyWill
Waiting impatiently for my next vacation

We are at 180 days today...made the "hard to get" ADRs this morning and the rest this evening, lol.

Will
Big Daddy Will **** Dis Dad's Club Member #668

2008 - POR 2010 - POP 2011 - POP 2011 Trip Report 2012 - POP 2012 PTR 2013 - POR 2014 - POP
Old 12-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #1562
Kathy Z
Counting my Blessings

I'm still a little confused about the actual layout of the Parterre (and Acadian) buildings. On the overhead maps of POR it appears that the farthest out "wings" of those buildings are actually separated from the block U shape of the main part of the buildings. Is it correct that they are actually separate, smaller buildings or are they actually connected to the main part of buildings 95 and 80 respectively? I do understand that elevators are in the center sections of the mansion buildings. Would I be correct in assuming that there are at least stairways down to an outside entrance from the second floor of those "wings"?

We're booked in a RR Riverview room and my first request is noted as being near the South Depot. Close to the South Depot is actually the most important thing to us; only booked the Royal Riverview because we prefer the mansions and thought that category would give us the best shot of being close to the South Depot.

We'll be at POR for our first time in 61 days.

Last edited by Kathy Z; 12-10-2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: changed number of days until trip countdown
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #1563
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by oka1jeg View Post
HUGE THANKS TO VENOMHATCH!! Checked in yesterday, and we got covered in pixie dust!! Ready for first day at parks today.
No problem, May your visit be filled with pixie dust for the duration of your stay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Z View Post
I'm still a little confused about the actual layout of the Parterre (and Acadian) buildings. On the overhead maps of POR it appears that the farthest out "wings" of those buildings are actually separated from the block U shape of the main part of the buildings. Is it correct that they are actually separate, smaller buildings or are they actually connected to the main part of buildings 95 and 80 respectively? I do understand that elevators are in the center sections of the mansion buildings. Would I be correct in assuming that there are at least stairways down to an outside entrance from the second floor of those "wings"?

We're booked in a RR Riverview room and my first request is noted as being near the South Depot. Close to the South Depot is actually the most important thing to us; only booked the Royal Riverview because we prefer the mansions and thought that category would give us the best shot of being close to the South Depot.

We'll be at POR for our first time in 63 days.
Yes the out most ends of the buildings aka wings do have staircases at the ends of them.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #1564
Kathy Z
Counting my Blessings

Great, I did assume that they do have staircases (for fire safety at least). But I still wonder if they are separate small buildings as they appear to be on the overhead view or is that an illusion?
Old 12-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #1565
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Z View Post
Great, I did assume that they do have staircases (for fire safety at least). But I still wonder if they are separate small buildings as they appear to be on the overhead view or is that an illusion?
The mansions with separate wings are connected by air bridges/walkways or pathways on the first floor to the next building.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #1566
LaniesMom
Mouseketeer

First time at POR! So excited to be joining this group!

Hello all! So thrilled to be able to post this: Just booked a trip for my May 8 birthday. It's the 8th anniversary of my 29th birthday, lol
Will be in a Royal Room May 5-10 with my 4 y/o DD and twentysomething cousin.

Have not visited POR since it was Dixie Landings. Really excited to try it out, I love trying different resorts. About the busses: How many stops between the two resorts? Which stop is the first stop on the way to the parks?

I love not having to drive while on vacation; I don't have an issue with multiple stops. We stayed at CSR in 2009 and the service was terrific. But we usually go the week before Thanksgiving when crowds are low. Will the first full week in May have comparable crowds do you think??

TIA for your help!!
Next trip: May 2013--Happy Birthday to me! POR RGR

Me DH DD(4) DD(infant) our family is complete!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #1567
ttcl516
Mouseketeer

80 days until our magical stay!!!

POR Riverside AB Feb 28 - Mar 7, 2013
Old 12-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #1568
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcl516 View Post
80 days until our magical stay!!!
We will be staying at POR at the same time.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #1569
osu2k1
Disneyland Veteran | Disneyworld Newbie

Here now and enjoying it!!!!

We had made the requests for Oak Manor and 3rd floor and got it! It's a great room, over looking the garden, but not actually a garden view. We've done dinner at the hotel food court the last two nights and have loved it. The Royal Guest Room is beautiful. The buses have been great, only waiting for a few minutes. This morning on the way to AK I had to stand while the rest of the family sat. Getting on the bus at the South Depot really is key to getting an actual seat in the morning.

Going to Chef Mickey's for Breakfast tomorrow, one of the CMs was able to get as an ADR for it when we arrived!

Only complaint is the wireless in the room, it stops working and you have to reconnect. Speed is fine though.

Thanks Venomhatch for all the tips & tricks!!!

SURPRISE TRIP FOR THE BOYS Dec 8-15, '12: Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest room
PTR: Santa's coming early!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #1570
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu2k1 View Post
We had made the requests for Oak Manor and 3rd floor and got it! It's a great room, over looking the garden, but not actually a garden view. We've done dinner at the hotel food court the last two nights and have loved it. The Royal Guest Room is beautiful. The buses have been great, only waiting for a few minutes. This morning on the way to AK I had to stand while the rest of the family sat. Getting on the bus at the South Depot really is key to getting an actual seat in the morning.

Going to Chef Mickey's for Breakfast tomorrow, one of the CMs was able to get as an ADR for it when we arrived!

Only complaint is the wireless in the room, it stops working and you have to reconnect. Speed is fine though.

Thanks Venomhatch for all the tips & tricks!!!
Glad to hear everything worked out for your family. Very cool you got Chef Mickey's!!!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #1571
Nixie
DIS Veteran

We check in tomorrow!! I am having trouble sleeping because I am too excited. Hubby and I have already had a great start to our anniversary celebration. I know it is only going to get better tomorrow. I cant wait to see this beautiful resort for myself. Must try and sleep now. Have to be up by 5am to make our 9am flight.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:00 AM   #1572
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
The mansions with separate wings are connected by air bridges/walkways or pathways on the first floor to the next building.
Yes, even though they are shown as separated buildings, they are linked at the corners so you get get between them easily enough on either level.

Apart from the central section of each of the mansions (which is the only place where there are elevators) the rest of the wings/etc are only two stories anyway, and there are access stairwells all the way around.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 12-11-2012, 05:20 AM   #1573
GATORinaZ28
DIS Dad#764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixie View Post
We check in tomorrow!! I am having trouble sleeping because I am too excited.
YAY! Thats the way most people here get I think! I know I do. Since we usually drive, and I'm awake, we leave at midnight and drive through the night.

71-84 - Contemporary Resort with Grandparents || 01/94 - Off Site @ Disneyland || 06/07 - Contemporary Resort || 02/08 - Caribbean Beach Resort || 05/10 - All-Star Sports / Coronado Springs Resort || 12/10 - Offsite @ DisneyWorld || 11/11 - Port Orleans Riverside || 11/13 - Port Orleans French Quarter || 5/14 Rock Your Disney Side Party / Pop Century

Next trip: 12/14 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
Old 12-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #1574
ttcl516
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
We will be staying at POR at the same time.
I am soooo excited!!! This is our first ever family vacation, so just trying to plan everything as much as I can so it can be extra magical. At this point I am not sure if I want to request a certain section, or just leave it up to fate. Everyones tips and hints have definitely made the planning process that much easier.

POR Riverside AB Feb 28 - Mar 7, 2013
Old 12-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #1575
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcl516 View Post
I am soooo excited!!! This is our first ever family vacation, so just trying to plan everything as much as I can so it can be extra magical. At this point I am not sure if I want to request a certain section, or just leave it up to fate. Everyones tips and hints have definitely made the planning process that much easier.
It is entirely up to you about to or not to request anything. But the amount of info traveling through these POR threads is definitely helpful.
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: