Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #31
DisneyMomma81
DIS Veteran

OP ~ sorry about your grandpa, I lost my grandma to cancer *at far too young

And others ~ some of you are calling the Lilly Belle the Lily Belle ~ as the mom of a Lilly I'm a bit touchy on this, it's not hard, it's L I L L Y ~ like silly
DisneyMomma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #32
madbaby
Earning My Ears

Sounds like my experience with Eurodisney! Actually had someone shove me in the chest to push me away from a carousel horse while I was trying hoist my dd5 up on to it. The lady (50s) took it for herself. We had lots of those experiences there. I cried. Todzwife, my tear ducts are hardwired to my anger button too. Frustrating!!! Sorry about your grandfather.
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #33
Baliezer
DIS Veteran

We had an identical experience about two weeks ago at the holiday parade. I arrived two hours before the parade with my four girls to claim our spot. About 30 minutes before it started, ten foreign men ducked under the ropes cast members had just set up to try and stand behind us. Except their was not enough room. They kept hitting us in the butt with their shoes, (we were sitting) and kneeing us in the head. Five minutes before the parade started, the other 15 people in their group arrived. They had to hover over us, practically pushing us into the street to fit. I alerted a cast member who told them to please step back and sit down. They couldn't. So they continued to stand. When the parade started, one of the guys became Mr. National Geographic. Taking photos from all angles, and using my daughters head as a tripod. It was so bad that he would inch into the street if front of us on his belly flashing his camera into our eyes as he took picture after picture. I had to get the same cast member a total of four times during the parade to complain about his behavior. Nothing helped. It ruined our experience and I am fearful of seeing another parade now. Sorry you had to deal with this as well.
Baliezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #34
HollyL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbaby View Post
Sounds like my experience with Eurodisney! Actually had someone shove me in the chest to push me away from a carousel horse while I was trying hoist my dd5 up on to it. The lady (50s) took it for herself. We had lots of those experiences there. I cried. Todzwife, my tear ducts are hardwired to my anger button too. Frustrating!!! Sorry about your grandfather.
That is awful! I was an exchange student in Spain for a year, and it's definitely a different culture in parts of Europe. Just going to a movie turns into a "running of the bulls". Everyone out for themselves.
HollyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #35
ghostrdr
Earning My Ears

Observations

I signed up and registered just to post to this thread...

As a Korean-American (may look like a foreigner), and a local (live in so Cal), I just wanted to caution some posters about the generalizations.

My family and I went to the park this weekend. It was very crowded. In the afternoon, I saw a girl (maybe 10-12) wearing a bunch of buttons. I asked her and her parents if it was really their daughter's birthday. They advised they were visiting from Australia, had been there at the park all day yesterday and the day before.

I asked her if she had gotten to go on Radiator Springs Racers, and she said she had not and I knew the standby wait times were like two hours at this point. I gave the daughter and her parents our three fast passes that allowed them to go on the ride starting in about 20 minutes and wished her a happy birthday.

Hopefully that family has a positive memory of Disneyland, California, and US citizens (maybe even Koreans, who knows?). Sorry to the OP about her experience. I've never sat in a VIP showing area at the park or ridden the Lily Belle, but those sound amazing also. Have a great week everyone.
ghostrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #36
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrdr View Post

As a Korean-American (may look like a foreigner), and a local (live in so Cal), I just wanted to caution some posters about the generalizations.

My family and I went to the park this weekend. It was very crowded. In the afternoon, I saw a girl (maybe 10-12) wearing a bunch of buttons. I asked her and her parents if it was really their daughter's birthday. They advised they were visiting from Australia, had been there at the park all day yesterday and the day before.

I asked her if she had gotten to go on Radiator Springs Racers, and she said she had not and I knew the standby wait times were like two hours at this point. I gave the daughter and her parents our three fast passes that allowed them to go on the ride starting in about 20 minutes and wished her a happy birthday.

Hopefully that family has a positive memory of Disneyland, California, and US citizens (maybe even Koreans, who knows?). Sorry to the OP about her experience. I've never sat in a VIP showing area at the park or ridden the Lily Belle, but those sound amazing also. Have a great week everyone.
Welcome to the boards, good deads are always appreciated no matter what your nationality is.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #37
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thank you for posting this.
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #38
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Your good deed doesn't mean that this man who leads tour groups does good deeds. Tour groups are big and difficult, and if there's a language barrier it's harder. When there are serious cultural differences, it's a powder keg. My husband's mom is Korean, and she has been in America for over 40 years now, and has a serious problem when she goes home to Busan and Seoul, with the cultural differences. Even standing in line at the Asiana Airlines desk checking her luggage to go to Korea she nearly started a racial incident (though it couldn't be "racial" because she's the same race as the ones she was yelling about) because of the line cutting she was witnessing (I didn't think anything of it, but she could understand what people were saying while I could not, and she KNEW that the people being brought to the front of the line did not have First Class, but were friends with the employees bringing them up).

DH enjoys visiting his cousins (brothers/sisters), aunts, and uncles VERY much, but it takes him a few days to get used to the crowding in public, or the way people there bunch up to get on or off elevators. Basically you've got to use your elbows to get on or off of one, as both sides just bull their way through, with no regard for the "other" side.

Although there are people who do that in America, the general rule, for specifically elevators, is to let people off and then get on. If you get a tour group from a country that does not do that, and has not looked up the local culture, into an elevator here, you'll have clashes.

And that seems to be what is happening at Disneyland, but not just with elevators.

WDW has that problem with Brazilian tour groups. Very different culture, with no understanding (or no wish) of what procedures are here. And IMO it's not *bad* to say "this was a problem with this tour group and it negatively affected me". Nor is it bad to say "I had that problem, too".

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: