Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #16
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKMJ441724 View Post
we wanted a small, inside dog and could find VERY FEW in local shelters. We decided on one only to be told we weren't a good match because we had younger (although responsible) children in our home.

Then I found a yorkie but it was in poor(ish) health and had recently had surgery to remove an eye. I chose not to get that one because I didn't want to have to deal with my children's heartache should something happen to the dog.

We ended up getting BellatheWonderDog! at a breeder and we love her to pieces! I wish it had worked out for us going the rescue route.

How cute! I actually contacted a couple of breeders to see if they had any adult dogs and found one who did but she had just given it up for adoption a few days before I called.

I'm not stuck on a purebred and would consider a mix....in fact, one rescue group had a Shih-poo (shih tzu/poodle mix) but they were one of the ones who wouldn't consider us because we were out of state...even though I said, we'd drive the 5 plus hours

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #17
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

We went through this 8+ years ago, but small dogs and pure breeds are difficult to find in animal shelters. When they go there, they are adopted quickly. If you want a purebred Shih Tzu, you'll probably have to find him online and perhaps fly him home. However, you'll be lucky if you get the luxury of meeting him in advance.

1991-2004 AP holders | 2000 Disney Magic 4-Day Bahamas | 2005 Disneyland | 2006 Swan New Year's | 2008 AllStar Movies with HS Marching Band
2008 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2009 Bay Lake Tower Labor Day | 2010 Wilderness Lodge New Year's | 2010 AllStar Music with HS Marching Band
2010 Polynesian Graduation Celebration | 2011 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2012 Polynesian Spring Break | 2012 Beach Club Graduation Celebration
2012 Saratoga Springs Food & Wine | 2013 Disneyland Paris Sequoia Lodge | 2013 Beach Club Resort Food & Wine
2013/2014 New Year's Eve Waldorf Astoria | 2014 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise

LittleMissMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #18
crazyme5kids
DIS Veteran

Go to your town municipal shelter and look at the dogs there. Tell them what breed or type you are looking for, and ask them to call you if they get any in that are going up for adoption.
crazyme5kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #19
pumpkinmomma
Mouseketeer

Just keep looking and be patient. Small dogs are harder to find, they seem to go fast. I agree that you will probably have better luck after the holidays are over.
pumpkinmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #20
Rence
Anyone who puts fashion above all else can't be all bad

I am very big on Adopt - Don't Shop.

If there are any breed specific rescues in your area - contact them - even if the "right" dog is not listed on their website. I am somewhat active with a breed specific rescue in our area - and most of the rescues do not make the website. Neither of the two we adopted were ever posted.

We contacted the rescue, did the paperwork and the home visit. The rescue knew about our situation (two adults - no kids) our age preferences etc. and then contacted us when a dog became available - we didn't have to wait very long either time - a couple of months at most.

We have fostered dogs for the rescue and in each case - they were adopted out before hitting any of the websites. The woman who heads the rescue has a list of folks interested and she contacts them first before posting anything on-line.

I would think that multi-breed rescues may work the same way. Just contact the local rescues - let them know what you're looking for and get the process started.
Rence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #21
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Thanks so far.... It's harder because I have my girls who now know that we are definitely getting a pet so they HOUND me everyday which actually stresses me out more. I had tried to keep it from them as long as I could but ended up having to tell them last week as I had found someone locally who placed an ad about giving up their Shih Tzu. He was just shy of 2 years old, purebred, up to date on everything and she was giving him up because they didn't have the time to spend with him anymore. They lived only 10 minutes away so I made an appt for all of us to see him last Wednesday night so I had to tell the girls. We were all excited and on the day of, the owner called me with an excuse that she needed to reschedule. I asked her if she was having second thoughts to which she replied she wasn't, and I even expressed if she had any doubts to be upfront with me as I didn't want to string my kids along and she was adamant about being serious about selling him so we rescheduled for Saturday afternoon. Wouldn't you know, she called me Saturday morning to say that her husband had sold the dog and claimed he didn't know we were coming. Needless to say, I wasn't so nice on that conversation and angry doesn't even begin to describe how I was feeling . Had to tell my daughters and let's just say the rest of our weekend was HORRIBLE! Luckily, they are older but even at 14 & 18, they were heartbroken which killed me.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #22
KBoopaloo
DIS Veteran

I am sorry you are having such a frustrating experience. When I first started looking into adopting a dog, I applied for and lost out on at least 3 different dogs. I didn't hear back on at least 4 to 5 others. It was very frustrating. When I first saw the dog I have now online, I had almost given up on adopting a pet. I sent the application in anyway even though I wasn't even sure if she was the dog for me. She wasn't the breed I was looking for and I feared she might be too high energy for me. Then I found out that she was out of state (the rescue organization was local but get rescues from all over) and I nearly passed on her when I realized I wouldn't get to meet her first.

In the end, I took the chance, picked her up after her 3 day journey from Missouri and she has been my best pal ever since.

I just wanted to let you know that even though the process can be super frustrating and even heartbreaking, I believe that eventually you will find the dog your family is supposed to have!
1984 - Contemporary ~ 1991 - Caribbean Beach ~ 1999 - Port Orleans French Quarter ~ 2000 - Vista Way (College Program) ~ 2001 - AllStar Music ~ 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006 & 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside ~ 2008 Beach Club ~2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge~ 2009 Saratoga Springs(x2) & Pop Century 2010 Boardwalk Inn, Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas - Jambo House & Coronado Springs~ 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter & Kidani Village(April), Old Key West & Beach Club (October) 2012 AKV - Jambo and Yacht Club (Commodore Suite!) 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter and Boardwalk Inn
KBoopaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #23
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I would keep looking for a local pound; I just can't buy a dog when there are so many animals needing good homes in shelters.

And I am in love with my rescue kitty, more than I can ever say.

My sister is also looking for a small, tiny dog. We found one from a rescue group and they wanted $450 for the dog. I thought that was insane so we'll just keep looking.

My dad just rescued a mini-poodle 10 week old puppy last week. Surprised ALL of us that he was paying attention to the needs of rescue. He bascially went to the shelter often and put his name on a dog he loved. When it came avail for adoption, he grabbed him right away. He paid $125 all in.

So, it can be done.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #24
nathalee81
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyrosa2 View Post
I have tried Petfinder and Adopt-a-Pet.com...
I would really suggest going to Petco/Petsmart. I think you will have more luck when you meet the rescue, in person.

You will have more luck if you wait until after the holidays...there will be, unfortunately, a huge influx of unwanted dogs that people got for the holidays, but didn't think about the care and expense involved.

Have you tried to google shih Tzu rescue and your zip code? You might find a breed specific rescue group that way...
nathalee81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #25
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

When we decided to get a dog, we first looked at adopting. Unlike you, we knew we wanted a puppy - this was our first dog on our own (we both had dogs growing up) and were unsure about adopting an older dog that may have issues that we would have no idea how to handle. So we wanted to essentially start from scratch instead of getting in over our head.

We knew we wanted a dog that would be under 20 pounds - we lived in a townhome at the time and knew a large dog would not be happy. We didn't have a yard, but knew we'd have to take lots of walks.

We're nice and stable, but had such a hard time adopting a puppy. We would essentially open up our homes to the adoption agencies, go through the entire process, and then be told no because we didn't have a yard. I could have saved them a lot of time and me a lot of heartache if they had just indicated that at the beginning.

We finally gave up after 6 months of that and decided to go to a breeder. We wound up with a great dog and couldn't imagine our lives without him.

I know some people probably think we're the devil for going to a breeder, but I couldn't keep trying with adoption places only to have my heart broken every time. It also makes me angry to hear all the agencies say that there are so many dogs needing to be adopted when we were turned away every time.
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #26
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathalee81 View Post
I would really suggest going to Petco/Petsmart. I think you will have more luck when you meet the rescue, in person.

You will have more luck if you wait until after the holidays...there will be, unfortunately, a huge influx of unwanted dogs that people got for the holidays, but didn't think about the care and expense involved.

Have you tried to google shih Tzu rescue and your zip code? You might find a breed specific rescue group that way...
I'm going to call Petco and Petsmart tonight and the closest Shih Tzu rescue that I could find is in NJ so I just sent them an email.... I'll keep trying. I do believe in fate, and things happening for a reason - my luck is bound to change eventually.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #27
Family Fun Mom
No longer tagless... my wit has been confirmed!
NOTHING FROM THE SEA!

I think it might be easier to adopt a child than a dog. It's INSANE! We tried to adopt but ran into so many roadblocks we just gave up. No one would even consider us because we have children under the age of 12 and we have cats. Plus, I don't think I should have to allow strangers into my home to inspect it just to own a pet. We went with a breeder and have never regretted it. We brought our golden retriever home on Christmas Eve 4 years ago and he has been the best gift to this family since the kids were born. I'd go with a breeder again in a heartbeat.
Family Fun Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #28
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
When we decided to get a dog, we first looked at adopting. Unlike you, we knew we wanted a puppy - this was our first dog on our own (we both had dogs growing up) and were unsure about adopting an older dog that may have issues that we would have no idea how to handle. So we wanted to essentially start from scratch instead of getting in over our head.

We knew we wanted a dog that would be under 20 pounds - we lived in a townhome at the time and knew a large dog would not be happy. We didn't have a yard, but knew we'd have to take lots of walks.

We're nice and stable, but had such a hard time adopting a puppy. We would essentially open up our homes to the adoption agencies, go through the entire process, and then be told no because we didn't have a yard. I could have saved them a lot of time and me a lot of heartache if they had just indicated that at the beginning.

We finally gave up after 6 months of that and decided to go to a breeder. We wound up with a great dog and couldn't imagine our lives without him.

I know some people probably think we're the devil for going to a breeder, but I couldn't keep trying with adoption places only to have my heart broken every time. It also makes me angry to hear all the agencies say that there are so many dogs needing to be adopted when we were turned away every time.
First off, you're not a devil but I do know where you're coming from. I have friends on both sides of the fence, so to speak, and in the end, I will do what is right for our family because I do not want to keep watching my girls get broken-hearted and honestly, I'd be lieing if I didn't say it's hard on me too. And I too am getting "ticked" with the agencies who have a dog we're interested in but won't consider us because we are out of state. I'm like really? One of them told us that they wouldn't consider us because they do home visits and that they couldn't visit our home if we were out of state. So, I gave them the name of my friend who volunteers at one of our local rescue groups since she told me her rescue would be more than happy to act as a liaison & do that for them and they still said no. As for our local shelters, I just reached out to two of them about putting us on a list and both said they don't keep lists.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #29
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyrosa2 View Post
I'm going to call Petco and Petsmart tonight and the closest Shih Tzu rescue that I could find is in NJ so I just sent them an email.... I'll keep trying. I do believe in fate, and things happening for a reason - my luck is bound to change eventually.
I see you are in MA. There is a Shih Tzu Resuce of New England

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MA304.html
kwelch10377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #30
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Fun Mom View Post
I think it might be easier to adopt a child than a dog. It's INSANE! We tried to adopt but ran into so many roadblocks we just gave up. No one would even consider us because we have children under the age of 12 and we have cats. Plus, I don't think I should have to allow strangers into my home to inspect it just to own a pet. We went with a breeder and have never regretted it. We brought our golden retriever home on Christmas Eve 4 years ago and he has been the best gift to this family since the kids were born. I'd go with a breeder again in a heartbeat.
I, honestly, just said that earlier today. My friends at work have been great supporters and most of them (including my rescue volunteer friend) are starting to tell me to "bite the bullet" and reconsider a puppy from a breeder

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: