Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
njprincess601
DIS Veteran

I know the teams feelings on Nassau, but what about Freeport?

Hello all!

I don't post frequently but listen to the show every week. Through this, I am very aware of the team's feelings on Nassau, but what about Freeport?

Is it nicer, safer, etc. than Nassau? We are considering a trip there in March but wanted some feedback first!
njprincess601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

DCL used to sale there many years ago on 4 day cruises apparently people complained and thy haven't been back.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
misstheworld
My Prince Charming is mecarroll

We've been to both Nassau and Freeport on cruises with Royal and Carnival (sorry...never been on a Disney cruise).

IMO...no, Freeport isn't nicer than Nassau. In fact, I'd say that island is much less developed and hasn't nearly the resorts and vacation elements that Nassau has.

That being said, depending on what you're looking for, I prefer Freeport. This last cruise we took (Feb 2012) we got off and went to Junkanoo beach on Freeport. While it didn't have many amenities, the beach and ocean were much nicer than any beach we've visited on Nassau. You paid a small amount per person (I think $10) and got access to their private beach, bathroom facilites, plus use of snorkel gear and some other beach equipment. They had a basic food service facility with burgers, fries, and a couple of island dishes. Plus, tons of alcohol. The food and drinks were for a fee. I think we also paid an additional $5 and got two chairs and an umbrella.

Unless you're going to spend the big bucks and stay the day at Paradise Island on Nassau, I wouldn't bother getting off the ship there.
misstheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
gmboy95
Go Patriots!!!!!

Been to freeport....if you stay in a resort and dont leave its fine....other then that...yuck

DVC Member VWL, OKW, HH!!! Since 2001
gmboy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
dgthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njprincess601 View Post
I am very aware of the team's feelings on Nassau, but what about Freeport?

Is it nicer, safer, etc. than Nassau? We are considering a trip there in March but wanted some feedback first!
I think Nassau is actually pretty safe, but very tourist-y. I had no qualms about walking outside my hotel, off the property, to the small market nearby, nor about taking a public bus to the downtown area and the straw market there.

But... it wasn't a really exciting trip off the grounds when all was said & done, and I think that's really the jist of what a lot of the team says about Nassau, too.

Never having been to Freeport, I can't really comment on the environment there. I did go to Abaco/Marsh Harbour one year, and felt just as safe as I did in Nassau.
dgthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmboy95 View Post
Been to freeport....if you stay in a resort and dont leave its fine....other then that...yuck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: