Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #391
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFaerie
Anyone have any tips for getting muscle stamina back after illness? I only ended up doing 1 mile today. My legs just felt like jello. Otherwise I felt great.
Whenever I've had to take time off for illness, I have found that if I suffer through a workout or 2 then I'm back on track. I will say that 3 weeks is the longest I've ever taken off. It sucks to feel how difficult it can be even after a relatively short hiatus. Assuming your doctor has cleared you to go back to your regular activity level, just suffer through it and make yourself do it. It's like you gotta wake your muscles up to get back on board. You'll be back in no time!
Old 12-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #392
poohbear8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellanotte10 View Post
am i reading correctly? they moved the expo to Coronado Springs Resort? How does one get there from AsMo?
There will be a bus from the resorts. It probably won't be a 'disney' but, but more likely a Mears bus. It should be clearly marked.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #393
bellanotte10

I'm gonna go snag some!
I felt like the worlds most awkward ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear8

There will be a bus from the resorts. It probably won't be a 'disney' but, but more likely a Mears bus. It should be clearly marked.
Good to know! Thanks!!!
Old 12-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #394
SuperHappyFunTimes
RunDisney Races coming up: Wine & Dine, Glass Slipper Challenge, Tink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFaerie View Post
When it rains, it pours. Or something like that. I'd posted about my infection and dealing with my mom's surgery. Since then I've had to reschedule a final because DS had to be picked up early - he has strep. Then yesterday DH was unexpectedly fired for basically no real reason (stupid at will state ). While he was home with sick kiddo making calls, I went to pick up DD from school and got rear ended in the pick-up line. My car is okay, and other than minor whiplash, I'm fine. I'm just over it though, and I could really use a little bit of good luck. I'll take any spare pixie dust you all have to offer. We have a tentative plan in place. If it works out, it will probably be better for us. Unfortunately there's not a lot we can do until Mon to get things in motion. Depending on how long it takes to find a job and what the job pays, I'm not sure if I'll make it down for the PHM or not, but I'm going to keep assuming I will.
Ugh, I'm so sorry that the universe keeps throwing all these problems at you. Keep your head up, things will turn around!

ETA: I saw your later post with your update, sounds like you have a great plan that will great for your family in the future.

Last edited by SuperHappyFunTimes; 12-09-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #395
SuperHappyFunTimes
RunDisney Races coming up: Wine & Dine, Glass Slipper Challenge, Tink

After trying to find a Merida costume for weeks, I switched gears and bought a Mulan costume instead. Yellow running skirt, green shirt and a navy belly band (for early pregnancy, I'm not pregnant but I figured that would be comfortable for a running costume). It looks awesome laid out on the couch, but it's not particularly flattering on.

I've lost 30 lbs this year, but I have another 30 lbs to go and every one of those is accentuated by the yellow running skirt. Kind of discouraging right now, but I'm going to try to use it as motivation to get back on track with my diet.

I took 2 weeks off after my Thanksgiving 10k to rest my foot and hip/iliac crest which were tender. My running partner has a stress fracture in her foot so I'm extra paranoid about that right now. I got my first long run since the break this morning. 6.2 miles and it went pretty well. I was getting worried about being sidelined but I'm feeling more confident that I'll be at the starting line in February!
Old 12-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #396
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

I just wanted to share here... I ran a 27:01 5k on Saturday! That's 32 seconds faster than my previous PR!!
Old 12-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #397
MRS AR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyDancer
I just wanted to share here... I ran a 27:01 5k on Saturday! That's 32 seconds faster than my previous PR!!
Congratulations! Great job!
Old 12-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #398
EEsloveDis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHappyFunTimes
After trying to find a Merida costume for weeks, I switched gears and bought a Mulan costume instead. Yellow running skirt, green shirt and a navy belly band (for early pregnancy, I'm not pregnant but I figured that would be comfortable for a running costume). It looks awesome laid out on the couch, but it's not particularly flattering on.

I've lost 30 lbs this year, but I have another 30 lbs to go and every one of those is accentuated by the yellow running skirt. Kind of discouraging right now, but I'm going to try to use it as motivation to get back on track with my diet.

I took 2 weeks off after my Thanksgiving 10k to rest my foot and hip/iliac crest which were tender. My running partner has a stress fracture in her foot so I'm extra paranoid about that right now. I got my first long run since the break this morning. 6.2 miles and it went pretty well. I was getting worried about being sidelined but I'm feeling more confident that I'll be at the starting line in February!
I love how everyone is so creative with putting their costumes together. I want to dress as Alice but am crafty-challenged. I have visions of how to put it together in my head but actually doing it is another story.

Way to go on the weight loss!!
1986-1st trip~5/2006-Animal Kingdom~6/2008-Beach Club~10/2009-Contemporary~2/2010-Pop Century~6/2010-Star Wars Weekend French Quarter~12/2010-Marco Island~12/2011-Riverside~8/2012-Hilton Bonnet Creek~9/2012-Caribbean~10/2012-Hilton Downtown Disney~2/2013-Princess Half Marathon Hilton Bonnet Creek
Old 12-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #399
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPrincess View Post
Whenever I've had to take time off for illness, I have found that if I suffer through a workout or 2 then I'm back on track. I will say that 3 weeks is the longest I've ever taken off. It sucks to feel how difficult it can be even after a relatively short hiatus. Assuming your doctor has cleared you to go back to your regular activity level, just suffer through it and make yourself do it. It's like you gotta wake your muscles up to get back on board. You'll be back in no time!
If it only takes me a few workouts to get back in the groove, that would be great! I'm hoping to be back up to my usual 3 mile short runs by the end of this week and start adding long runs again by the end of next week. It was encouraging to see that my pace hadn't taken much of a hit though.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #400
TiggerAllie
DIS Veteran

I know the hard-core holiday season is coming, and I've been trying to get my mileage up before it gets here: 8.5 mi last weekend, and 10mi this weekend. Between Christmas and post-New Year's cruise on the Fantasy, I'm not sure I'll get too more long runs between now and then. (I thought I saw someone say they just got back from the Fantasy and it was really rocky--not good for running.... details?)

I had some weird lower back-pain on my rest day, which actually got _better_ when I ran this weekend. I think it's related to weak abdominal muscles, which I generally tense while I run (as it came back later). I guess it's time to start doing some ab-exercises. Any suggestions?
Past Trips: (WDW) 12/13 BLT MVMCP, 10/13 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 5/13 AKL, 3/13 VWL F&G, 2/13 BCV PHM, 9/12 BWV TOTTM MNNSHP F&W, 3/12 SSR F&G, 2/12 BCV PHM, 10/11 CSR MNSSHP F&W, 3/11 AKVJ F&G, 10/10 Poly F&W MNSSHP, 12/09 SSR NYE, 10/09 VWL/WL F&W MNSSHP (PreTrip Report), 3/09 SSR, 10/08 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 6/08 SSR SWW, 11/07 VWL F&W MNSSHP, 6/07 SSR SWW, 12/06 WL/Poly MVMCP, 10/06 AKL MNSSHP, 8/06 BC USSSA-WS, 10/05 CSR MNSSHP Wilma, 2/05 ASSp, 6/03 offsite, 8/02 ASMu; (DL) 8/13 DGC DDD!, 8/12 DGC DLHM, 5/05 DLH, 6/02 offsite; (DCL, etc.) 8/13 Dream 4day-3day B2B & BLT, 1/13 Fantasy WC DFTW & BWV/BLT, 8/12 Wonder AK, 5/12 Dream 3day & BLT, 1/12 Wonder MR, 8/11 Dream Double-Dip & VBR, 1/11 Magic WC & CR; (DLP) 5/08 offsite
Childhood trips: (Me) 12/95 offsite, 5/87 offsite, 4/80 DL offsite; (DP) 7/90 GF, 4/88 CR, 11/80 offsite
Old 12-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #401
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis-happy View Post
Who knew running could be so pricey?
Seriously! I don't even want to contemplate what I've spent over the past year on running... shoes, clothes, foam roller, chiropractor copays, nutrition, registrations... YIKES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
For those with pain/injuries, has anyone ever measured their strides per minute?
Yep, I'm a counter, lol! I started paying attention to see if my strides were too long... nope: my natural cadence runs consistently between 168-180 steps per minute. But I'm also 5'1" - a 180 cadence is only about a 10:30/mile pace for me.

Quote:
Things are looking up a little here.
I'm so, so sorry about all you're dealing with right now, but very glad to hear you've got some positive signs! Hang in there

Quote:
Anyone have any tips for getting muscle stamina back after illness? I only ended up doing 1 mile today. My legs just felt like jello. Otherwise I felt great.
Sleep, lots of it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyDancer View Post
WOWSA, that's fantastic!

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 12-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #402
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Well, I finished my 5 miles Saturday... but I'm not sure if I should celebrate yet, lol! Knee pain in my ITBS leg started up around mile 4... but I couldn't really tell if it was ITBS pain or my usual arthritic stuff that comes and goes during a run. It wasn't the stabbing, ice-pick-to-a-ligament kind of pain I was having previously, but I opted not to run through it, just in case. I'd been doing 1:30walk/:45run intervals up to that point, but started skipping every 2 runs for the last mile. No residual pain afterward, so I'm hopeful...

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 12-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #403
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Well, I just CANNOT kick this stuff I don't seem to have gotten any better since I saw a doctor (well, actually a nurse) last week. At that time, I could not get in to see my normal doctor, so I went to one of those "Take Care Clinics" in Walgreens...which I've done before with no problems, but I've never had a sinus infection last this long and be this bad. I have an appointment with my regular doctor tomorrow now...I'm afraid that with all the fluid that's been in my ears since last week that I'll get an ear infection too so I'm hoping they can do something else for me tomorrow. I'm so clogged up in my head, I feel like I'm walking around with ear plugs in...it's terribly annoying! So, that means I did NOT get out this saturday to run. Tinker Bell is right around the corner and I'm freaking out about this! My BF is running a 5 miler today after work and we carpooled together today, so I'm thinking I'll go to the park with him and, if nothing else, try to walk a couple of miles at least. I feel like I have to do something!

It doesn't help that we're having roller coaster weather...it was in the low 80's yesterday...40's today, possible 30's tonight. And it seems to just keep going up and down, up and down every week. UGH! On the bright side, my cats are seriously taking advantage of the extra cuddle time with me on the couch lately...it's cute!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #404
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear you are still not feeling better. I'm sure your Dr will help when you see him. I know it's frustrating especially since Tink is right around the corner. But I think going with your BF after work even just for a walk will "mentally" make you feel better regarding your training.

A bug keep going around our house too. It seems like one of us has had something for the past couple of weeks and now it's my turn. Could not go for a long run yesterday. I haven't gone for a run for two weeks now I'm really starting to panic a litttle. The main thing is to and start feeling healthy and try and stay healthy.

Get better soon !!!
Old 12-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #405
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

I'm getting sooooo excited about my costume! I waffled back and forth so much for ToT and ended up in not much special. So I am trying to get it out of the way sooner. I can't divulge any info just yet until I find out if it's gonna come together but if it does I think it will be really cool! So excited!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: