Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #16
ktate82
DIS Veteran

My DS has a joint disorder, so we took the stroller the first year when he was 4 and used it every day. The next year, we took it, only had to break it out one day. This year, it went and stayed in the hotel room the entire stay ! We usually go at his pace and find a way to take a break in the day, but it is doable.
Sept 2014 AKL, June 2014 SWW at OKW, Feb 2014 Disney Magic, Sept 2013 AKL, May 2013 POP, Dec 2012 AOA, Sept 2012 POP, Sept 2011 Poly, March 2011 Poly, Sept 2010 CBR, July 1995 off site (MK only), Aug 1987 off site (MK only)

ktate82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:53 PM   #17
poohj80
Got Hunny?

We also still take a stroller for our 6 year old (hasn't used a stroller at home since about age 3). We enjoy the night time activities such as fireworks, parades, and Christmas lights but no way DD will stay awake during late hours especially after a possible early morning even with a break during the day. If we want to enjoy the later hours, we just admit its easier with a stroller as she's too heavy to carry for hours especially when we're tired too.

That said, next month will probably be our last stroller trip.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #18
Boadicea
Earning My Ears

When my oldest was three, I would take her without a stroller and just carry her if I needed. She would occasionally get tired, but she was small, portable and my only child, so no problems. By the time she was four, I was pregnant with #2 and couldn't carry her, so we did the stroller thing and it was much better. Now with two, I wouldn't dream of going without a stroller, but do keep in mind I go to the parks as the only adult with two kids under 6.

I would say to rent a double from outside the park for your trip so you can bring it wherever you need it. It would be a shame for one small thing to spoil an otherwise enjoyable trip.
Boadicea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:55 PM   #19
NJShoreDad
Mouseketeer

Forgot strollers on recent trip - bailed out by Baby Wheels Orlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boadicea View Post
I would say to rent a double from outside the park for your trip so you can bring it wherever you need it. It would be a shame for one small thing to spoil an otherwise enjoyable trip.
Agree with this quote above - for our most recent trip (11/8-14) we had planned on bringing 2 strollers with us. We live in NJ, so in the span of about a week we dealt with a hurricane and then a snowstorm that dumped 6 inches of snow on us the night before we left... Needless to say, I forgot to to pack both strollers in the car, and we realized this on the way to the airport. So we figured we'd rent once we got to WDW. It turns out that maneuvering in the airport was easier without the strollers - go figure.

We rented a double in AK the first day, but at $31 we needed a better option than the park strollers. So while waiting on a line in the park, we stumbled upon a family that had a nice double stroller that they had rented from Baby Wheels Orlando. We got the number and I called right away. They delivered a stroller to our resort (Contemporary/BLT) the very next morning (I had just missed their delivery for the day.) The stroller worked out great - they threw in some accessories, and it was very comfortable for the girls. At the end of our stay we left the stroller at Bell Services and the company came to pick it up. It was super easy, and only $63 for the 5 remaining days of our stay. Having a stroller that we could use to walk around outside the parks or to/from the parks was really a plus. Especially for the latter - we love staying at BLT so we can walk to the MK. The stroller keeps the children from getting worn out before they are in the parks.

Yes, the girls are getting bigger so they should be able to walk around themselves, but it certainly helped get through long park days allowing them to have an occasional respite in the stroller. Plus, it doubled as storage with the under-seat compartment and console that had drink holders.

So what ended up being a goof up on my part ended up working out great, and I would recommend using Baby Wheels Orlando to rent a stroller rather than bring one. I know some of this may sound like an ad, but it really worked out well and I was very happy with their service (not so much with groceries and Garden Grocer... but that is a different post.)
Offsite June 2002 - Anniversary
Poly Oct 2007 - First family trip
BLT Dec 2010 - First trip "Home"
BWV + DCL "Magic" April 2012
BLT Nov 2012
VGC Nov 2014- First Disneyland trip!
DCL Dream August 2015
NJShoreDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #20
Skippy918
Mouseketeer

I am still unsure about renting a stroller in disney. DS will be 4 1/2. I will have the stroller for my 2 year old.
We just took a vacation this week and I was very impressed that DS walked everywhere without complaining especially at the Miami zoo which had the 3 mile walking trail. He did pass out in the car on the way back to the hotel.
Skippy918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #21
NHKristy76
Senior Mousketeer

After she turned 3, we never used a stroller at WDW or anywhere else for our daughter. This meant that we couldn't push her around the parks into the wee hours of the night but that was okay by us!

I might be a bit biased though... I get annoyed seeing kids who can walk sitting in strollers.
NHKristy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #22
katie111
DIS Veteran

I have 3 kids and have done several trips on my own with the kids without DH. What I never understand about these questions is why its a big deal to push a stroller through the airport. Its no different than pushing it anywhere else. You just have to fold it up for a minute to go through security. Otherwise your kids can be in it or you can put you carry-ons in it & push them around. I think its easier to have a stroller at the airport as the kids are often tired there too. I've taken a double stroller on my own through the airport several times and I found it quite useful.

Personally I would never attempt Disney without a stroller with two 3 year olds. I just took one for my 5 year old & he used it a lot. He doesn't use one at home & he's certainly not a lazy kid but we all walk very fast in our family & it gives him a place to relax. I know there are kids who are 2 and can walk 40 miles in a day without complaining but I just don't have those kids, and I don't think most people do.
Off site 2008

Wilderness Lodge 2008
Caribbean Beach 2009

Off site 2010
POR 2010, Swan 2011
All Star Music/Movies 2012
Wyndham Bonnet Creek 2013
katie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #23
jlstwinmommy
Mouseketeer

Here is my success story:

I took my twins when they were just over 3. We hadn't been using a stroller for a while (and we are big walkers at home - take a family walk 3-4 times a week). We went for 8 days. There was only 1 day where I wondered if we should have rented a stroller and that was after a late night the night before. We ended up toughing it out that day and just had an early bed time. The rest of the week, we did not have a need for a stroller at all. The twins were fine walking the parks. In fact, we commented to each other how liberated we felt not having the stroller to watch after and park at each ride. We also had my older child and my parents with us on that trip, but no one needed to carry a child the entire time.

I know each family is different, but it did work for us.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #24
princesspwrhr
DIS Veteran

You will be fine. None of my kids ever used a stroller at Disney past 2 - by their choice.

My oldest dd used a stroller some of the time on her first trip when she was 2, but usually refused it. (December) Refused it soundly the next year when she was 3 (December) and I didn't bother bringing it when she was 4 (December) or 5 (late May). Not once did she ask for a stroller.

When my oldest was 6 and we went (September) I had a stroller for my 8 month old and I was 7 months pg. The thought of sitting in the stroller never crossed my 6yo's mind and she never complained.

The next year (December) I had a double stroller for the Irish Twins at almost 2 and 1. No worries about the kids, but strollers, especially doubles, at WDW are a pain. My 7yo wouldn't have even considered asking for a stroller.

The following year I took my 8yo on a bday trip just her. (August) Obviously no stroller. For Christmas we went as a family and brought my 7yo niece. We had two single umbrella strollers for the IT's who were almost 3 and just turned 2. It was more effort to keep track of the stroller and attempt to have them sit in it then it was worth. They wanted nothing to do with it and by day 3 we left the strollers at the resort except Epcot day thinking they would want it- WRONG. From my 8 yo I heard no complaints. From my two 2yos, I heard complaints when we wanted them in the strollers. From my 7yo niece I heard constant whining and complaining, she tried to sit in a stroller at every opportunity (she was and is far to big for the stroller, nearly twice the size of my oldest)

Two summers later (July) a work trip had us tagging along with dh. Oldest was almost 10, younger two were 3 & 4. No stroller, no problems.

That's unfortunately the last time the younger girls have been. My oldest has gone for gymnastics competitions between then and our next family trip this coming summer. We live 5 minutes from Busch Gardens Williamsburg and bought annual passes once the shorter girls were tall enough to ride things. They have never ever had a stroller there and never ever complained and that park is hilly, the quick queue costs extra $ so we don't do it and it's generally crowded.

You have plenty of adults, you have options for a stroller if it seems like you need it and most of the time when we did have strollers we found that we parked it in one "land", explored the attractions and moved the stroller (usually sans child) to another land and repeated the process.
princesspwrhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #25
deanimal
DIS Veteran

We went when our kids were 2.5 and almost 4 and found we didn't use strollers much inside the parks, but found them very handy going to and from the parks. We brought a lightweight Maclaren stroller as our main stroller and used the basket to dump jackets, lunch bags, water bottles, sunscreen, etc so we didn't need to lug a backpack. We also brought a super cheap umbrella stroller and basically dumped it in a stroller parking area near the entrance. My older daughter always walked all day in the parks, but would crash on the way out, and this way we didn't have to carry two exhausted kids back to the hotel room.

I found that two umbrella strollers weren't that hard to bring through the airport or onto the bus or tram, and if needed we could even wedge the smaller one into the basket of the Maclaren stroller and have the flexibility of one or two strollers as needed.

Another suggestion is to take the kids on an all day trip to the zoo, or a science centre or something as a trial. If they can keep going all day, then you'll probably be fine. If they start to flag after seven or eight hours, then a full day in the theme parks might be too much without a stroller too.
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #26
Donald Duck888
Mouseketeer

Wow I am glad to have stumbled on to this thread as I will be taking my first "daddy daughter trip" this spring and am probably going to forgo the carriage for the first time as my daughter will be 6.

It has been very interesting to read other people experiences with this.

DIS Dad # 630
Donald Duck888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #27
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Having taken DD to WDW at age 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, in my opinion it is a huge mistake not to take a stroller for the 3 year old twins. DD was not a stroller kid at all, refusing to ride in it from 12 months old EXCEPT for at WDW. To give you an idea of DD's energy level, at age 6, we just returned 2 weeks ago and the kid is an absolute commando. Our first full day we were at Epcot from 9:00 a.m., to 9:00 p.m. and our second day at MK from 8:45 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. and her little feet and legs kept up the whole time. There is no way, we could have made it at WDW without a stroller at age 3. WDW is too huge. DH would have been carrying a 3 year old a lot, and you have 2 of them to carry. The plastic park strollers are not comfortable, and would not have worked for us. DD would nap in her stroller in the afternoon, and I know she could not have done that in the park strollers. You're taking a short trip, so you probably don't want to take a bunch of breaks, and you want to experience all the Christmas stuff, so I'm assuming you will be in the parks at night to experience the Christmas lights etc. I think that makes a stroller all the more needed. If you rent from the parks, once you turn it in, someone is going to be carrying those three year olds from the stroller place out to whatever transporation you are using which can be a long walk. Plus, you may be spending a long time in the mornings in the stroller line. Sure, you can manage with the park strollers if you absolutely have to and a lot of people do it, but it wouldn't be our choice.
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: