Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Leleluvsdis
DIS Veteran

Mini Cooper Countryman and infant seat

I am looking at getting a new car after first of the year, and am specifically looking at a Mini Cooper Countryman. Dh and I are also going to start trying for baby #1 in the Spring. My only concern is how well will an infant seat fit in the countryman. We are looking at a chicco or britax infant seat. Unfortunatly, we don't know anyone who has one to take with us when we look at cars, but do have a friend with a graco. Are they close enough in size to be able to tell how well they will fit?
Leleluvsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
snoopy5386
DIS Veteran

Something to think about, most babies are only in an infant seat for 6 months - 1 year. After that you'll need to fit a much larger convertible seat in there, most likely rearfacing. My SIL has a regular mini and fitting a car seat of any kind in there is near impossible.

I would post your question to the lovely folks at car-seat.org and see what they have to say.
Coronado Springs 3/05
Polynesian 10/05
DD's 1st TRIP for her 1st BIRTHDAY April 07!!!!
Polynesian 10/07 Girls Trip!
Coronado Springs 6/08
Food and Wine Festival Fall 2008
Sailing on the Magic 10/10/09
snoopy5386 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

I agree with Snoopy - your problem won't be the infant seat (most infant seats fit in most cars), but the convertible. And to be honest, it's kind of random. My son's large convertible seat (a Britax Boulevard) fit just fine rear-facing in our Toyota Prius and Honda Fit, but we test drove a Kia Sorrento small SUV, and it wouldn't fit in that vehicle behind the drivers' seat, even though that vehicle was much bigger either of our small-ish cars.

The good news is that if you Google " "Car Seat Name" and "Name of Vehicle"", you will very likely find a post on a car seat forum discussing just what you're looking for.

Fort Wilderness May 2014, Inaugural DOPEY CHALLENGE 2014, AoA February 2013, DLR (Christmas trip!) December 2011, DLR (DL Half Marathon) September 2011, AKL Kidani (WDW Half Marathon) 2011, CSR and the GOOFY 2010, WL and the WDW Half Marathon 2009 (2:29), Disneyland Resort Paris 2007, Off-Site 2006, ASMu 2002, Dixie Landings 2000
Sarah_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
CourtneyL
Mouseketeer

The countryman is fairly spacious compared to a regular mini. You shouldn't have too much of a problem. The Chicco takes up less space than the britax infant seats. The infant seat that takes up the least amount of space is the Cybex Aton I think. The good news is that rear facing convertible car seats usually take up less space than infant seats.
The countryman has 4 captains chairs and I think the two in the back can move forward and back. The bench seat won't allow you to move the seats.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

If the countryman only has 4 seats you may also want to consider that the car seat wouldn't be able to sit in the middle rear seat which is the safest spot for a baby. we have a honda fit and for about 3 months no one could sit in the front passenger seat because we had to move it all the way forward to accommodate a rear facing convertible carseat.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:57 AM   #6
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
Something to think about, most babies are only in an infant seat for 6 months - 1 year. After that you'll need to fit a much larger convertible seat in there, most likely rearfacing. My SIL has a regular mini and fitting a car seat of any kind in there is near impossible.

I would post your question to the lovely folks at car-seat.org and see what they have to say.
I agree.

Heck, my son had outgrown his Graco, by height, BEFORE he was 4 months old. (he's 8.5 now and will be able to ride the Hulk and Dragon Challenge in February...he could ride them now...I'm 5'3", where did this height come from?) I had originally wanted to just START with a convertible seat, but people who said "but what if the baby is too tiny?" scared me, so we wasted our money with an infant seat. Sigh. (if baby had been too tiny, then DH could have run out and bought an infant seat!)

And the Roundabout we had definitely had a bigger footprint than the infant seat. Since we used it until he had grown out of the rear-facing seat entirely (he was well into being 2 when that happened), it's the convertible seat you want to make sure of.

I have NO idea what the Mini you're looking at is like, but we had a Sundance Duster (2 door ugh) and a Golf (4 door) at the time, and both were a pain with the seats. And we didn't even take the infant seat out of the car more than one time each...we just took baby out and put baby in. Too awkward, difficult, and HEAVY to carry seat and car. But just getting baby out of those little cars was difficult and involved a lot of stooping and bending. Later on we realized why people get somewhat bigger cars, LOL.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

Just remember that the new guidelines are that children rear-face until AT LEAST 2. The law only dictates until 1 AND over 20 lbs in most states, but I have a feeling that will be changing sooner rather than later.

I see arguments all the time about their kids are "too scrunched" rear-facing, but people must remember that kids generally (automatically) sit cross legged or with the kids on things! Remember they are rear-facing to protect their necks in a crash.

Sorry off my soap box.

See if you can borrow someone's carseat similar to the one you want... or "test drive" one to BabiesRUs or the like and ask if you can try out the seat in the car. Be sure to actually get in then and make sure YOU can fit!
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
thedonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
Leleluvsdis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonduck View Post
Just remember that the new guidelines are that children rear-face until AT LEAST 2. The law only dictates until 1 AND over 20 lbs in most states, but I have a feeling that will be changing sooner rather than later.

I see arguments all the time about their kids are "too scrunched" rear-facing, but people must remember that kids generally (automatically) sit cross legged or with the kids on things! Remember they are rear-facing to protect their necks in a crash.

Sorry off my soap box.

See if you can borrow someone's carseat similar to the one you want... or "test drive" one to BabiesRUs or the like and ask if you can try out the seat in the car. Be sure to actually get in then and make sure YOU can fit!
I've wondered if you could do that. Take a seat and make sure it actually fits in your car before buying one. That would be ideal

Does anyone know if Target allows that? We don't have babies r' us, just toys r' us with an ever shrinking baby department
Old 12-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonduck

Sorry off my soap box.

This is a great idea. I would test drive to the toys r us with the shrinking baby department. I know my friend was concerned about cup holders so he test drove a car to a 7-11 to buy a large soda too see if it got in the cup holders. I would think a car seat stop would be quite reasonable.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

BRU lets you try the seats out in your car. I'd call and confirm with your specific store though.

Definitely try a convertible seat rear facing not just an infant seat.

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV- October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!* UPCOMING: December 2015- BLT
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
merina888
Mouseketeer

I'd also consider how easy it is to get baby in and out of the car. I am not familiar with the specific car you name, but when my first child was born, we had a 2 door sunfire and it was a pain to get his seat in. We had to climb in the back seat to get him in. Also consider trunk space. Some stroller will not fit in a very small trunk. My graco travel system stroller would not fit in the trunk of our sunfire without taking the front wheels off. So when we shopped for a car we did what others have suggested, we took our stroller and carseat with us to see how they fit in the car.
merina888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
Leleluvsdis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRegulars View Post
This is a great idea. I would test drive to the toys r us with the shrinking baby department. I know my friend was concerned about cup holders so he test drove a car to a 7-11 to buy a large soda too see if it got in the cup holders. I would think a car seat stop would be quite reasonable.
I'm thinking if it was declined, I would go to a different dealership espcially is they said you can go to 7-11 haha I think that is the first time I have heard of driving to a 7-11 haha

Seriously though, the more I think about it, I figure, if I am going to spend that much money with them, it is definelty not to much to ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelA View Post
BRU lets you try the seats out in your car. I'd call and confirm with your specific store though.

Definitely try a convertible seat rear facing not just an infant seat.
I hadn't thought about the convertable being a bigger hassle mainly because I haven't had a convertible rear facing to deal with before. Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merina888 View Post
I'd also consider how easy it is to get baby in and out of the car. I am not familiar with the specific car you name, but when my first child was born, we had a 2 door sunfire and it was a pain to get his seat in. We had to climb in the back seat to get him in. Also consider trunk space. Some stroller will not fit in a very small trunk. My graco travel system stroller would not fit in the trunk of our sunfire without taking the front wheels off. So when we shopped for a car we did what others have suggested, we took our stroller and carseat with us to see how they fit in the car.
The mini cooper countryman is a 4 door wagon type car. As far as getting in and out of the back seat, I wouldn't think it would be any different than my current car. That is a good point about the stroller fitting in the trunk too Maybe we will go to a bigger city when we are ready to look and buy, because the toys r us here doesn't have the stroller we want.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. It is a huge help!!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #13
garjanjones
Mouseketeer

Test drive the Mini to BRU or TRU and try out the carseat. (I couby a Brittax will fit, but you never know). I was actually suprised at the carseats that would fit into our car.
garjanjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #14
Leleluvsdis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by garjanjones View Post
Test drive the Mini to BRU or TRU and try out the carseat. (I couby a Brittax will fit, but you never know). I was actually suprised at the carseats that would fit into our car.
Our TRU does not have any infant seats in Britax, but can definetly try the convertibleseat. We also has a friend that has a britax convertible, now that I think about it that we could try out I'm sure. Thanks for the insight!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #15
Ldynred812
Mouseketeer

You need to check and double check seat and car seat sizes. I drove a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse. ONLY a Graco snugride base would fit in the back due to the bucket shaped seats. Yep, drove around for 2.5 years with my daughter in the back. Got some strange looks when I would pull an infant carrier out of the back. Since moved on with my Town and Country Mini Vans...and now have 3 kids.

Kecia
Ldynred812 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: