Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #286
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoabean1 View Post
We stay CL at YC, so it might be better going back to the YC for tea and scones when we visit Epcot or Hollywood Studios. We usually have breakfast and a snack at the end of the day at the CL. It looks like we might have to go back in the afternoon too.
I meant both club levels at the GF serve scones...Royal Palm Club (main building) and Sugar Loaf (outer building). No scones in the lounge at YC when we stayed. Sorry for the confusion and especially sorry to disappoint you!
Old 12-10-2012, 05:06 AM   #287
MickeyT
DIS Veteran

It's Monday! Welcome Home People.......

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #288
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Thanks for starting our week off right!

Does that ticker say 4 weeks??????

Old 12-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #289
cocoabean1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyT View Post

There's one thing missing- ME!!!!!
Old 12-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #290
Steph H
That Loud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
We've stayed CL at the YC three times and really enjoyed it. However, DW has always wanted to stay at GF so we're going to try GF Sugarloaf on our next trip (YC is my favorite resort).

No matter what, we WILL be going back to the YC in the future.

I would love to hear any comments comparing YC CL vs GF CL, so we have an idea of what to expect. It will be me, DW and DS18. Anyone?

Thanks.
We stayed at Sugar Loaf 7 years ago, so I'm not sure what might have changed since then. We stayed at YC CL last week (we're back home now...wah ).

My own personal opinion is that I liked YC better. I didn't dislike SL by any stretch, but it just seemed more comfy and friendly at YC club level than at Sugar Loaf. Maybe because at SL, you're in a separate building and therefore it kind of felt like I was part of the "outcasts." And yet, when asked, my husband said that being separate from the main building was what he liked most about SL!

I don't think I ever had a chance to enjoy the tea and scones at SL, but that may just be my memory failing me. (Seven years is a long time!) I think I would have enjoyed that this time, but I didn't miss it. What I LOVED about YC was the proximity to TWO resorts. It was SO great to be steps from Epcot and then a few more "steps" from Hollywood Studios. I loved our lagoon view upgrade as well--the Boardwalk is beautiful to see!

I am back to reality now, but as soon as I can, I'll post my pictures of the YC CL offerings. The mornings were pretty much the same every day with a few changes, and the afternoon offerings were always the same (chips and cookies), but the evenings were more varied. We only had the chance to do desserts a couple of nights, but I did take pictures.

We had such a great time--DS#1 said on our way out the door, "Mom, when we come back to Disney, can we stay at the Yacht Club again?" Ha, get 'em hooked early, I say!

Happy Monday, all!

GF Sugarloaf 10/05
YC CL 12/12

Trip Report: Yacht Club December 2012, How I Survived Disneyworld on Weight Watchers
Old 12-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #291
outahere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph H View Post
We stayed at Sugar Loaf 7 years ago, so I'm not sure what might have changed since then. We stayed at YC CL last week (we're back home now...wah ).

My own personal opinion is that I liked YC better. I didn't dislike SL by any stretch, but it just seemed more comfy and friendly at YC club level than at Sugar Loaf. Maybe because at SL, you're in a separate building and therefore it kind of felt like I was part of the "outcasts." And yet, when asked, my husband said that being separate from the main building was what he liked most about SL!

I don't think I ever had a chance to enjoy the tea and scones at SL, but that may just be my memory failing me. (Seven years is a long time!) I think I would have enjoyed that this time, but I didn't miss it. What I LOVED about YC was the proximity to TWO resorts. It was SO great to be steps from Epcot and then a few more "steps" from Hollywood Studios. I loved our lagoon view upgrade as well--the Boardwalk is beautiful to see!

I am back to reality now, but as soon as I can, I'll post my pictures of the YC CL offerings. The mornings were pretty much the same every day with a few changes, and the afternoon offerings were always the same (chips and cookies), but the evenings were more varied. We only had the chance to do desserts a couple of nights, but I did take pictures.

We had such a great time--DS#1 said on our way out the door, "Mom, when we come back to Disney, can we stay at the Yacht Club again?" Ha, get 'em hooked early, I say!

Happy Monday, all!
Thanks Steph H.

I too like being close to two parks, but I have to agree with DW that GF has more restaurants. Captain's Grill is ok, but they never seem to change the menu, except for a couple of seasonal dishes. HH does make a good burger, but I don't really want to live on burgers for a week. I thought Cape May was good, but DW wasn't all that impressed. We've never tried Yachtsman, so that is definitely on my to-do list for a future stay.

We do like SAB, but DS will be almost 19 on our next trip, so that is no longer a huge draw for us. About the only time we go to the pool these days is in the evening, just to unwind.

We have absolutely nothing against the YC, but staying at GF will be a new experience. We've stayed CL at the Poly, so being in a separate building won't be anything new.

It sure sounds like you have your DS "trained" already!

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
Old 12-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #292
sndral
DIS Veteran

Well, I'm back from 9 nights @ YC - my second time there. I started w/ 3 nights @ the GF, my first 'split' stay, and my first stay @ GF, then moved to the YC, where my son joined me.
Room was way out - practically @ the Swolphin, on the map provided it was located in the corner that has been cut off to make the map fit on the half paper they give you @ check in.
Positives - first floor, right by an exit door w/ a nice view of the pond and trees - kept looking for an alligator, as I'd heard they were in every body of water in Florida, never saw one, just ducks and one day a crane.
Negatives - it was a long walk to the lobby and a really long walk to fill the refillable mugs we had as part of our deluxe dinning plan, thus we didn't use them much. The shower temp was initially lukewarm @ best. The plumber came (after 3 calls and 1 visit to the front desk) and the max temp he could get was 101 F. He cleaned something and got it up to 107 F. He said the max temp they set it at is 110 F due to safety concerns w/ children. I don't recall this being an issue last year when we were closer to the lobby and it certainly was not an issue @ my GF stay, I suspect because the room is so far from the main facilities the hot water takes awhile to get to the room and cools from the 110 F in transit. I noticed the plumber let the water run a long time before he checked the temp., so thereafter I did the same before I hopped in, waste of water, but a coolish shower wasn't working on my tired muscles. They offered to move us, but the room offered was over SAB w/ a lot of roof in the view so we declined. When I checked in the white duvet cover on one of the beds had some blood stains on it - I called housekeeping and they replaced it right away. The last night I noticed the sliding glass door was unlocked, as I checked each time I left and returned to the room, I found this troubling, but nothing of value was in the room, and nothing was missing, I just found it to be odd. The safe was very small (son's normal size tablet did not fit, nor would my camera fit in, only my Ipad mini fit in it) and used a key to secure it, the GF safe was bigger (fit my Nikon w/ lens on + Ipad mini easily) and was keyless, much better set up.
The weather was great, 70s for all 10 YC days (and my solo 3 GF days,) only rain was as we left MK after midnight on Sat. night, our last night.
Buses were better than many years, w/ only the DTD trip home after Fulton's dinner being bad - I timed it, it was a 50 minute wait at the DTD stop for the YC/BC/Swolphin bus to show up - didn't time the ride, so don't know total transit time. Epcot monorail was not working one night, and they had buses running from the TTC instead.
Parks - they shut down/roped off test track/Ellen/mission space area of Epcot @ 3pm for a 'press event,' which was inconvenient for us as it happened to be the evening we planned to do that area of Epcot and when we decided to head over to MK early, we discovered the monorail problem. Was surprised to see a few BTGs and saw a lot more clumps of pop warner cheerleaders in the parks than we have in past years. Both the BTGs & the cheer/football kids were well behaved - just normal excited/giggly teens.
We do the deluxe dinning as a ts lunch and a 2 ts dinner, so we see a lot of restaurants in our stays. I was amazed at how much less the wait time after check in was vs. previous years. Not sure what WDW did, but it was much improved from previous years. Only Cape May and Mama Melrose were like the old days of check in and wait far too long. It was my first Cape May dinner, as I liked the food, I'll give them another shot, Mama Melrose is out of the rotation for awhile.
We had decided before going to give WDW a pass next December, opting for some other destination, but we'll be back in 2014, which gives me lots of time to plan.

Last edited by sndral; 12-10-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #293
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Guess who had a GIANT sundae at Beaches & Cream?

It was Flat Ben!

No Way, Jose!

photo courtesy of jenseib

Last edited by natebenma; 12-10-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #294
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post

It was Flat Ben!
Yay Ben! Please let him know that we just added a Captain's Grille late breakfast ADR to the last morning of our January trip, so while it's not B&C, he can look forward to that!

By the way, any recent reviews of breakfast at Captain's Grille? It's been a long time since I've been there. In more recent years, I've booked this ADR a zillion times and cancelled it a zillion times. This time, we're guessing ME is picking us up at BWI at 11:45am and there isn't enough time for lunch at B&C. I will do ANYTHING to avoid the food court at the Orlando airport. So we'll have a 7am breakfast in the BWI club lounge, go to DHS for one more ToT ride and then have a 10:30am "brunch" at Captain's Grille. I'd kind of prefer Cape May, because there are some "lunch-type" foods on the buffet - like that amazing salad. But by the end of the trip, my husband will definitely be done with characters, so Captain's it is!

P.S. MickeyT, thanks so much for the happy photos! We're really looking forward to that report. I'll share with our middle son who will be receiving "Run Disney in Training" apparel for Christmas! (Shhh!) Just two years until he is eligible for the half!
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/BWI!)
Old 12-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #295
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

P.S. Speaking of Flat Ben, he's already enjoyed swims in both SAB and the CR pool. (And I do mean that he has actually been immersed in the water and gone down the slides several times.) Next up: the Volcano pool at the Poly. But the Luna Park pool at BWI will be closed during his stay. Hmmm . . . does Flat Ben have anything to do with this pool closure???
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/BWI!)
Old 12-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #296
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
Yay Ben! Please let him know that we just added a Captain's Grille late breakfast ADR to the last morning of our January trip, so while it's not B&C, he can look forward to that!

By the way, any recent reviews of breakfast at Captain's Grille? It's been a long time since I've been there. In more recent years, I've booked this ADR a zillion times and cancelled it a zillion times. This time, we're guessing ME is picking us up at BWI at 11:45am and there isn't enough time for lunch at B&C. I will do ANYTHING to avoid the food court at the Orlando airport. So we'll have a 7am breakfast in the BWI club lounge, go to DHS for one more ToT ride and then have a 10:30am "brunch" at Captain's Grille. I'd kind of prefer Cape May, because there are some "lunch-type" foods on the buffet - like that amazing salad. But by the end of the trip, my husband will definitely be done with characters, so Captain's it is!

P.S. MickeyT, thanks so much for the happy photos! We're really looking forward to that report. I'll share with our middle son who will be receiving "Run Disney in Training" apparel for Christmas! (Shhh!) Just two years until he is eligible for the half!
I haven't been to Captain's Grille for breakfast, but here are a couple of links I have to pictures/reviews. The one from emmysmommy is pretty recent:

Captain's Grille Breakfast Buffet, Review by emmysmommy

Here is a link to a few pictures from the daily breakfast buffet provided by TaraPA: Breakfast Buffet pictures

And one more, but I don't have this one linked to the Dining Section on Page 1 because I haven't asked Dawn's permission yet:

Captain's Grille, dawnbu40

If Flat Ben does make it to the restaurant, see if you can get his picture with the pictures of the moving sailboat.

Last edited by natebenma; 12-10-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #297
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
P.S. Speaking of Flat Ben, he's already enjoyed swims in both SAB and the CR pool. (And I do mean that he has actually been immersed in the water and gone down the slides several times.) Next up: the Volcano pool at the Poly. But the Luna Park pool at BWI will be closed during his stay. Hmmm . . . does Flat Ben have anything to do with this pool closure???
I don't believe Flat Ben had anything to do with Luna Park pool closing, but then again, he went missing recently in the vicinity of the EPCOT resorts... so...

I think FB has also spent some time in the AKL pool, with jenseib.

Love the exposure to the different pools!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #298
Me!Thatswho
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyT View Post

Thanks for the smile!
August, 2005 - WDW All-Stars Movies & All-Stars Music -- May, 2006 - WDW Port Orleans French Quarter for SWW -- June, 2007 - WDW Contemporary for SWW -- Dec, 2007 - WDW Pop Century & Contemporary for MVMCP -- July, 2008 - DL Disneyland Hotel -- Dec, 2008 - Jan, 2009 - WDW Polynesian; NYE @ DHS -- Dec, 2009 - Jan, 2010 - WDW Polynesian; NYE: breakfast at AK; mid-day @ Blizzard Beach; evening @ Epcot for Illuminations; fireworks on Poly beach -- Oct, 2010 - WDW Polynesian for MNSSHP -- Nov, 2011 - DL Grand Californian Hotel -- Aug 2012 - WDW Beach Club CL -- Jan 2013 - WDW Yacht Club CL -- Dec 2013 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside: DD danced in XMas parade taping -- July 2014 - DLP Hotel New York
Old 12-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #299
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post

It was Flat Ben!

No Way, Jose!

photo courtesy of jenseib

Mmmmmmmmmm!

Trip Report - March Break 2012 at the YC http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post44422655
Trip Report - March Break 2010 at CR – with stops at Poly, GF, WL, BW, BC, YC, MK, Epcot, HS, DD, and TL http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post35923604
Trip Report - Solo trip - A brief stay at CSR with a stop at AKL (with pics!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36750372

FW - 1972 (I think, I was little then!); WL - 2004; WL CL - 2007; CR CL - 2010; CSR - 2010; YC CL - 2012
Old 12-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #300
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:

By the way, any recent reviews of breakfast at Captain's Grille? It's been a long time since I've been there.
We ate breakfast at Captain's Grille in October and had a really yummy breakfast. I had the buffet (they let you order an omelette as part of the buffet, so I had a ham and cheese omelette). Franklin had the lobster omelette, which he RAVED about.

The buffet food was all fresh and hot. Lots of choices, though I don't remember there being anything remarkable to choose from, just your typical Disney breakfast buffet fare. Here are some food porn photos from that morning:

For the record, Franklin helped me with some of those waffles and sausage links.

Hope this helps!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: