Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

Walt Disney Co increases dividend; Shareholders meeting schedueld for Phoenix

THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY BOARD INCREASES ANNUAL CASH DIVIDEND
BY 25 PERCENT TO $0.75 PER SHARE

BURBANK, Calif., November 28, 2012 - The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) board today declared an annual cash dividend of $0.75 per share, up 25 percent, or $0.15 per share, from the previous year. The dividend is payable on December 28, 2012 to shareholders of record at the close of business on December 10, 2012. The December payment represents the 57th consecutive dividend payment to shareholders.

“Fiscal 2012 was another great year for The Walt Disney Company, creatively and financially,” said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and CEO, The Walt Disney Company. “We achieved record revenue, net income and earnings per share, while continuing to invest for long term growth, and we are pleased to be able to increase our shareholder dividend by 25 percent.”

The Company also announced that it has scheduled its annual shareholders' meeting for Wednesday, March 6, 2013, in Phoenix, Arizona.

crazy4wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

The fiscal cliff looms...

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Good results. Hope they can keep this up.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
rrushford
Earning My Ears

So, are the shareholders getting this raise by only offering the same generic shirts, mugs, etc. at every Disney resort and park. I stayed at two resorts this year and the merchandise was practically the same. I used to get a coffee mug at each resort I stayed at (Disney lost about $30-40 on that alone this year). And we got to choose from ONE t-shirt with the Animal Kingdom Lodge on it. I'm so glad I bought my Wilderness Lodge refillable mug when I did. It's priceless now that decisions are being made with stockholders in mind. You may not think this is the right place for this post but I think it's right where it belongs
rrushford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
lynypixie
Mouseketeer

Are we gonna talk about napkins again?

DH (31), me(30), DS6, DD4 and DD2

2004 bachelorette party (offsite), 2005 with DH (offsite), 2006 quick visit to DLP. 2013 AOA LK suite with all the kids!
lynypixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
rrushford
Earning My Ears

You're missing the point. I've been going there every year since 1980 and have seen many changes, some good, some not. If cutbacks on the little things that us regular visitors enjoy are because of hard times I can understand it, but just so stockholders can get a bigger cut... not acceptible. People who only go occasionally wouldn't understand, it's the little things (napkins are just the poster child) that make WDW different than Universal, Six Flags, etc.
rrushford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

I'm pretty sensitive to the nickel-and-diming at the parks but when it comes to merchandise stocked, it's hard to ignore sales numbers. Sure it's cheaper to buy massive amounts of generic designs in bulk...but I suspect that's also what sells far and above the other stuff.

5-7 years ago we used to visit the Orlando-area outlet shops looking for deals. Upward of 50% of the stuff on their shelves was resort-specific merchandise that didn't sell at the hotels.

I just don't think that stuff was selling. If people bought it...they would produce more of it.

That said, only finding one Animal Kingdom Lodge shirt design available seems like more of an aberration than the norm. I wouldn't expect to find 20 different designs but we've always found them to have a reasonable number. Your experience may have simply come at the end of an ordering cycle. May have new designs on the way which simply hadn't arrived yet.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #8
dsanner106
DIS Veteran

I would have to agree with the OP to a certain extent. I am also disappointed with the elimination and now reintroduced yet limited supply of resort specific merchandise. I started collecting a mug and shirt from each resort we stayed at, but they eliminated all of them entirely. The staff at 3 different gift shops encouraged me to make my opinion known as they were not too happy about it either. The merchandise sells and there are many loyal disney fans buying it up. Having been a buyer of soft goods in the past (clothing etc) for retail stores, I know that some buyers take the easy way out and focus on the top few sellers and eliminate the rest to make the job easier. T shirts sell best in grey, white and black so eliminating all other colors cuts the job in half. This ignores the customers looking for variety and in the end is a bad approach. This though is what the disney buyers did. Resort merchandise takes a lot of time to buy with all the variations but does in fact sell well. Disney was different for their approach in the past, to try and please everyone, not just the average customer. Cutting down on the buyers duties meant they could eliminate some positions and save a few dollars. In doing so, they took some of the fun out of the disney experience though. It is the attention to detail, the napkins etc. that set disney aside. When they increase park fees and parking fees, you expect some value added for your money but at the same time they were eliminating value. To the accountants, this looks like a good move but in the end it is not. We now own universal annual passes and split our trips, something we would never have done in the past. The difference between the two have narrowed to the point that we don't feel the magic at disney quite so much and don't see a huge dropoff when we visit universal, as we did in the past. I miss the old Disney.

72 offsite
'74 offsite, '01 Old Key West,'02 Wyndham
'03 timeshare,'04 Pop Century '04 Coronado Springs
'05 Offsite
'06 All Star Sports 06 CoronadoSprings '07 Bonnett Creek 07 All Star Music '08 Pop Century '08 Boardwalk Villas '09 Beachclub Villas '09 Animal Kdom kidani village'10 Saratoga Sp, '11 Bay Lake Towers,' 12' Boardwalk, '12 AK Kidani
dsanner106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
mixitup1979
Earning My Ears

Looks like the fiscal cliff is coming into play
mixitup1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: