Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #16
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
I think every house has rules of one sort or another.
I agree that a whole giant list of petty rules like 'only use a towel X times' would be annoying but I wouldn't have a problem (nor have I had, when people have mentioned or left their house rules for me) with rule rules as long as they're things that are clearly like, the house rules, you know?

Someone I know has a house rule about the curtains to the patio being closed whenever you leave the house. There's a reason for it, but regardless, make sure the curtain was closed. It's their house.

No shoes on in the house here. Slippers are fine, but no shoes. That's the rule.

Like I said, I agree a big petty list is one thing but along with a 'how to work X, this is the good market, etc.,' some rules make sense to me. As to the list in general, it's a long-term guest - if it's a weekend thing, you can just ask and it's less to ask. If it's weeks, someone who will be running the dishwasher, going to the market, using the tv, etc., etc., seems nicer to leave the list and not make them feel awkward about having to ask for every silly thing.

As for the dishwasher thing - I just bought a couple of containers that had 'do not place in top rack' on the tag. My dishwasher also has a top rack/delicate setting, and it's only a few years old.
Honestly, I can not think of a "rule" i would have for an adult guest staying at my house.

I do ask my children to turn down the heat in the basement when not in use, turn off lights in rooms that aren't being used, hang up towels, put laundry in hampers, lock doors, but these are all things I would think an adult would do. If not, I would remind them if the need arises.

If I were to have someone at my home, I would expect some things to not be done as I would. That would be fine with me.

If someone was doing something that would bring harm to themselves or harm to my home or harm to someone in my home, I would step in and say something politely.

I guess this is why I would never stay at someones home (except for my parents...we get along really well!). hotels only for me!
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #17
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoney View Post
Honestly, I can not think of a "rule" i would have for an adult guest staying at my house.

I do ask my children to turn down the heat in the basement when not in use, turn off lights in rooms that aren't being used, hang up towels, put laundry in hampers, lock doors, but these are all things I would think an adult would do. If not, I would remind them if the need arises.

If I were to have someone at my home, I would expect some things to not be done as I would. That would be fine with me.

If someone was doing something that would bring harm to themselves or harm to my home or harm to someone in my home, I would step in and say something politely.

I guess this is why I would never stay at someones home (except for my parents...we get along really well!). hotels only for me!
Really? No rules at all?

I don't consider laundry in hampers a rule either, that seems like a general thing, same as rinsing out dishes or whatever (and if it was a persnickity appliance or something, like the running toilet example, I don't think that's a rule either.). And I agree other adults don't do things the same way and in a general sense, doesn't bother me as long as, in general, as you say, it's not harmful to anything (I mean if someone likes to leave the door open but there's a cat wants to slip out, that's not ok). A friend of mine dumps tea bags in the sink. Always has. Drives me bananas to fish them out of the sink, but I've never said a word and just pick them out and toss them in the trash later because it's not a big deal.

I dunno, some people don't allow alcohol in the home, or the alarm must be engaged whenever someone leaves or no shoes or whatever. My house is no shoes, no meat. Everything else is 'would you mind...' those two aren't really negotiable, hence I consider them rules. As long as it's not a big, petty list, doesn't bother me if someone has house rules - their house.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #18
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Its more whats in what closet type thing (i have MANY closets). How to work my stove (its funky). I tried to include where stuff is mostly and how stuff works. I did mention not to feed the guinea pig and that the cats arnt alowed on the tables (House rules). I guess my only other rules that were included were things like returning magizines back to the bathroom when done with them (i have a rack there for them), dont open the big closet (this is a saftey rule), and not turnin the heat up. It really is mostly where junk is stored and what makes funky noises (other than the cat.. off to add that).
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #19
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychunkymonkey View Post
Its more whats in what closet type thing (i have MANY closets). How to work my stove (its funky). I tried to include where stuff is mostly and how stuff works. I did mention not to feed the guinea pig and that the cats arnt alowed on the tables (House rules). I guess my only other rules that were included were things like returning magizines back to the bathroom when done with them (i have a rack there for them), dont open the big closet (this is a saftey rule), and not turnin the heat up. It really is mostly where junk is stored and what makes funky noises (other than the cat.. off to add that).
Things like you are talking about I would never think would need to write them down. If a long term guest where to come stay with me I would just show them where stuff was that I know they would need and casually mention a few of your "rules". If they take a magazine from the bathroom and don't put it back I would just say "oh when your done with the magazines you can just put them back here". I don't forsee someone making reference to a list of stuff like your talking about.
kwelch10377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #20
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwelch10377 View Post
Things like you are talking about I would never think would need to write them down. If a long term guest where to come stay with me I would just show them where stuff was that I know they would need and casually mention a few of your "rules". If they take a magazine from the bathroom and don't put it back I would just say "oh when your done with the magazines you can just put them back here". I don't forsee someone making reference to a list of stuff like your talking about.
The main reason I did is she and I wont be here together much! Shes kinda spacy and theres lots of storage space here. I also included how to work my funky tv system and how to get the patio door to open (it requires kicking). I have a feelin shes just gonna laugh at me but I feel better knowing shes not going to be totally lost!
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #21
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

Keep it simple. Too much info will not be retained, and she may not refer to the manual to look up every situation. How to info, sure. Rules? No, not really. If I were the guest, you would turn me off instantly. Not a good way to start. Already assuming I will not meet your requirements.

“We learn… 10 percent of what we read, 20 percent of what we hear, 30 percent of what we see, 50 percent of what we see and hear, 70 percent of what we discuss with others, 80 percent of what we experience, and 95 percent of what we teach to someone.”

And since its a temporary only very occasional situation, let it go if she doesn't do something to your standards or the exact way you would. Haven't you had roommate issues before or am I mixing you up with someone else? Sorry if I am.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: