Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #436
buckeyecinderella
Mouseketeer

ZellyB- it sounds like you have a good plan. My training has not been what I wanted it to be for a number of reasons. I have had to modify and scale back the miles. I will go into the marathon with three longest runs being 17, 17, and 20. It will have to be enough! :-)

Others have been mentioning their times slowing down a bit and mine have too. I'm hoping it is just a combination of monotony and high miles. It's been tough for me to be motivated lately. Plus my DH got a stress fracture and I have no idea how much he will be able to participate in the marathon if at all.

Today at least I got in 17. I was rained on then pooped on by a bird then rained on again. It was so gloomy and lonely running. I finished under pace though-15:59 mm. I'm hoping with a 3 week taper plus race day excitement I will get it done and maybe with a better pace.
buckeyecinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #437
irishtwins1112
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams91 View Post
Anyone know at what point I'm safe and the sweepers won't care about me (on the full)? I start out about 15 min but at the end of 20 my avg dropped to 16.5 min pace. I could try to go faster but I'm having heart rate issues ( cant get it to drop below 153) even when walking. Turning 40 is for the birds.
Cherie, unfortunately they can decide at any time to take you off of the course if you are going above the pace (I know....happened to me). However, they won't just pull you off the course. They will tell you how far behind pace you are and give you chances to pick up the pace if you can. That being said the info about starting the clock when the last person crosses the start line is accurate. So I think you(and I) will be fine if you(we) just keep moving at that pace. You still on for being in the group? Trust me...I am scared of getting swept to....but if we stick together we can make it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZellyB View Post
Hi, everybody,
Still working on ramping the training up post-surgery. I bought just a basic 6" ace bandage and wrapped that tightly around my chest. We went 8 miles today doing a 1 min run/2.5 min walk interval. That's the reverse of what I've been training at for the last several months. It went well and I felt pretty good completing the distance. We did our 20-miler before my surgery and I'd like to get in one more long run before the race. So, right now I'm thinking we will do 10 miles next weekend and then try to do 18-20 on the weekend before Christmas and then taper before the marathon. Doing the interval we did today, we average a 13:45 min/mile. I think we can probably adjust the intervals and maybe get to a 2 min run/1 min walk before race day. Is getting in just one more long one of 18-20 along with my other 20 miler going to be enough mileage to have us ready? I hope so, cause that's probably all we can manage.
Awesome! Looks like a great plan :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyecinderella View Post
ZellyB- it sounds like you have a good plan. My training has not been what I wanted it to be for a number of reasons. I have had to modify and scale back the miles. I will go into the marathon with three longest runs being 17, 17, and 20. It will have to be enough! :-)

Others have been mentioning their times slowing down a bit and mine have too. I'm hoping it is just a combination of monotony and high miles. It's been tough for me to be motivated lately. Plus my DH got a stress fracture and I have no idea how much he will be able to participate in the marathon if at all.

Today at least I got in 17. I was rained on then pooped on by a bird then rained on again. It was so gloomy and lonely running. I finished under pace though-15:59 mm. I'm hoping with a 3 week taper plus race day excitement I will get it done and maybe with a better pace.
Hey! If you want to join in we have a small group of us that will just be trying to finish under the time limits, get our medals and avoid the sweepers!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3002160
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #438
dreams91
DIS Cast Member
Loves to veg out in front of the TV on QVC scrap days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtwins1112

Cherie, unfortunately they can decide at any time to take you off of the course if you are going above the pace (I know....happened to me). However, they won't just pull you off the course. They will tell you how far behind pace you are and give you chances to pick up the pace if you can. That being said the info about starting the clock when the last person crosses the start line is accurate. So I think you(and I) will be fine if you(we) just keep moving at that pace. You still on for being in the group? Trust me...I am scared of getting swept to....but if we stick together we can make it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome! Looks like a great plan :D

Hey! If you want to join in we have a small group of us that will just be trying to finish under the time limits, get our medals and avoid the sweepers!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3002160
Oh absolutely! I will get this medal!!

dreams91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #439
MightyDuck001
Mouseketeer

My ability to use the filter is completely gone. I got to 17.9 miles and was heading home when I came to not at all terrible uphill overpass and thought, "there's no f%(*ing way I'm running up that." Or at least I thought I thought it--I didn't realize that I had in fact said this out loud until the person running behind me started laughing and said, "I guess you didn't just start out?"

After the 18 miles, though, I can safely say: I will beat the odds, I can go the distance, and every mile will be worth my while.

Soon!!!!!!

MightyDuck001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #440
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDuck001
My ability to use the filter is completely gone. I got to 17.9 miles and was heading home when I came to not at all terrible uphill overpass and thought, "there's no f%(*ing way I'm running up that." Or at least I thought I thought it--I didn't realize that I had in fact said this out loud until the person running behind me started laughing and said, "I guess you didn't just start out?"

After the 18 miles, though, I can safely say: I will beat the odds, I can go the distance, and every mile will be worth my while.

Soon!!!!!!
That's funny that you said you can go the distance because I think that's the song that had the most votes.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #441
MightyDuck001
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
That's funny that you said you can go the distance because I think that's the song that had the most votes.

I'm not surprised--it's topically relevant and distinctly Disney! Oh sure, it's not "upbeat" like when they played the macarena at Wine & Dine but I do love it.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #442
Momto2PrncChrmgs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDuck001

Soon!!!!!!
Hahahaha! I was the same way doing our 10.5 yesterday. I thought we were close to done and my DH said, "hey, let's go this way" (opposite of our car). Way too loudly I said, "are you f@$;ing kidding me?!" I blame the loudness on the headphones. Hope there weren't any kids out playing on that street. ;-/

1977-Off Site May 2000-Off Site April/May 2005-ASMo May 2007-POP May 2008-POP Jan. 2009-CBR Jan. 2011-POP Jan. 2013-POR Sept. 2014-POP
Momto2PrncChrmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #443
kmg148
DIS Veteran

Well, I know I went against everything everyone told me, but I completed my scheduled 18 miles today.

Had a mini break down prior to the run and got very frustrated that my knee picks now to have a problem. I decided to go to the gym and see what I could do with just walking. I had hydrated and eaten as if I was doing a long run. Well, I just kept going when I got there. It took 4 and a half hours, but I did it.

Weird thing though---my knee pain actually feels better right now. I'm sure I'm jinxing myself and it will be awful tomorrow, but this has been the best it has felt in a week. The only issue I have right now is soreness on the bottom of my feet...but that usually happens when I walk more than 4 miles.
kmg148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #444
ncblum
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'sfriend
I'm feeling for all of you whose weekend run didn't go quite as planned. I was supposed to do 18 this week. I tried on Wednesday and only made 12. My IT band was killing me and I decided to stop. Tried for the magic 18 again yesterday and made it 14, walking the last 2 miles. Not only did my IT band act up again, I felt very nauseous. I am really freeking out now that this marathon thing may have been a mistake. I have a pull back week this week and I will take full advantage of the rest and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my 20 miler is more sucesssful.
For the IT Band, I highly recommend using a foam roller ever day from your hip to your knee. I had the same IT Band issues but they are now a thing of the past. The foam roller hertz like hell but is well worth it.
Make sure you are getting enough water and nutrition on your long runs. Practice with gels every 40 mins. To keep from getting nauseous.
ncblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #445
Tabetha
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
That soleus stretch is amazing. I did downward dog and it helped a little but when I did the bent knee thing against the wall, OHMIGAWD!! Sooo much better!!!

Oooh! I'll have to try that one. I have a persistent case of achilles tendinitis, so I'm always hurting.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:56 AM   #446
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmg148 View Post
Well, I know I went against everything everyone told me, but I completed my scheduled 18 miles today.

Had a mini break down prior to the run and got very frustrated that my knee picks now to have a problem. I decided to go to the gym and see what I could do with just walking. I had hydrated and eaten as if I was doing a long run. Well, I just kept going when I got there. It took 4 and a half hours, but I did it.

Weird thing though---my knee pain actually feels better right now. I'm sure I'm jinxing myself and it will be awful tomorrow, but this has been the best it has felt in a week. The only issue I have right now is soreness on the bottom of my feet...but that usually happens when I walk more than 4 miles.
What you have experienced is the enjoyment of completing a distance without extreme body impact and possible injury due to the bone/muscle planting forces of jogging/running. Walking is effective and can be fast when training is directed to improving efficiency.

Some helpful information in this thread.....http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3011389
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #447
MightyDuck001
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I know the feeling--it's amazing how slowing down can really lessen/eliminate some of the pain/soreness you feel. and my foam roller... oooh I feel in love with my foam roller....
Old 12-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #448
kmg148
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDuck001 View Post
I know the feeling--it's amazing how slowing down can really lessen/eliminate some of the pain/soreness you feel. and my foam roller... oooh I feel in love with my foam roller....
I think I'm still confused about the foam roller--it's not meant for joints right? Only muscles?
kmg148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #449
Tabetha
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think I'm still confused about the foam roller--it's not meant for joints right? Only muscles?
Correct (don't roll over joints), but I think rolling the muscles can sometimes have the effect of loosening the tightness of the muscles associated with the joints, thus relieving joint pain due to muscles being tight and working against you.

If that's what's causing your joint pain. If it's something else, then... it's something else.

At least, this is what I understand of it - persons with actual knowledge of physiology - is this right?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #450
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabetha View Post
Correct (don't roll over joints), but I think rolling the muscles can sometimes have the effect of loosening the tightness of the muscles associated with the joints, thus relieving joint pain due to muscles being tight and working against you.

If that's what's causing your joint pain. If it's something else, then... it's something else.

At least, this is what I understand of it - persons with actual knowledge of physiology - is this right?
Right, like @Tabetha says, only the muscles. I think it helps to break up the damaged tissue.

Here are some exercises you can try:

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-...ll?page=single

The IT Band one and the piriformis one...oooh, hurts so good.
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: