Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #16
Claudia Kellenberger
DIS Veteran

I have already had 14 annual solo vacations at WDW. I never heard comments like that, or if they were said I just didn't pay attention to it.
When I was asked how many in my party, I usually answered with the words
"Just One". However ..... I always said "Just One" very proudly !!
I am a middle aged woman ...... OK ...... I am now 59, and I will be on another solo visit in about 3 weeks. At this point in my life, I have come to treasure my solo trips. My DH prefers to stay home with our two cats.
( We don't have human children - just kitty children )

To the OP ..... If you hear those kind of comments again ..... just let it go above your head. You can still go and have a fantastic time.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #17
ahoff
DIS Veteran

I have made many solo trips, and never seemed to be targeted. Maybe it is a gender thing. Of course many people may be seperated from their groups, so who is to say what their status is? The wife and kids may be on another ride or back at the pool. But I look forward to being singled out, especially on a ride line and I hear "party of one!"
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #18
PeterPanic
DIS Veteran

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by intricatejewel View Post
Perhaps I was being sensitive to some of the comments, but it was very repetitive hearing, "Just one?" Its not much different from saying, "Is that all there is?". Don't get me wrong. There really were some aspects to solo traveling that I especially enjoyed and I feel obligated to mention that it wasn't all bad. I ate at the Plaza restaurant and the server there was very attentive and kind and it was a wonderful lunch. I met a very sweet person in line waiting for Stitch's Great Escape that was also a single traveler and she too gets a little annoyed with the JUST ONE comment, but it wasn't enough to deter her from visiting Disney by herself. We had fun and it was really that moment that I realized I much better enjoy disney when I'm sharing it with someone. Hearing JUST ONE all the time was like salt in a wound that I didn't realize was there and exasperated my loneliness. I didn't think I'd feel the way I did because I've vacationed before by myself on many occasions and loved it. Solo travel to Disney can be very rewarding in its own way but I learned through experience that it wasn't for me.
I don't think it's what they are saying that is the problem, it's what you are hearing. Example: Just one? Is a informational question used to be sure that it is just one. Certainly not a statement of judgment. You heard it as a judgment! However, that said, if you are that conscious of yourself as a single then you are correct to make the decision to only go with others. That wasn't a nasty comment only an expression of an opinion that you have already reached.

The last 4 times I have gone solo, I have come back and made the statement..."That's it, I'm not going alone again". Not because I didn't enjoy myself and I never really felt singled out, it just is more fun to have some one to share things with. Still, I keep doing it again. Can't be that bad.

Last edited by PeterPanic; 11-24-2012 at 09:17 AM.
PeterPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #19
DeeCee735
"How Do You Know of the Key?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia Kellenberger
I have already had 14 annual solo vacations at WDW. I never heard comments like that, or if they were said I just didn't pay attention to it.
When I was asked how many in my party, I usually answered with the words
"Just One". However ..... I always said "Just One" very proudly !!
I am a middle aged woman ...... OK ...... I am now 59, and I will be on another solo visit in about 3 weeks. At this point in my life, I have come to treasure my solo trips. My DH prefers to stay home with our two cats.
( We don't have human children - just kitty children )

To the OP ..... If you hear those kind of comments again ..... just let it go above your head. You can still go and have a fantastic time.
I'm looking at having to travel alone for the first time due to my DH having to cancel because of hurricane sandy closing his business for a bit. Now he can't take time off.
I'm mixed between canceling and giving solo a try. I'm a pretty strong willed independent happy friendly person, but I must admit I haven't been alone for a long long time. I'm wondering if it will "feel" ok to be alone for four days?

Was the first time you went awkward at all or were you comfortable from the get go? If awkward, how'd you get past that? Do you have to travel far on your own to get there? Any hints or tips I can consider to be more comfortable? I don't really want to cancel, I have quite a few things booked. Any info any of you can provide will be appreciated! Thanks!

AKV 6/14,VWL5/14,BWV 2/14,BWV 11/13, AKV 10/13,AKV/BWV 3/13,AKV 2/13,BWV 12/12 SEDONA RCI TRADE 4/12,BWV 2/12, OFFSITE 12/11,AKV11/11,DREAM/BWV 4/11, AKV 2/11, SSR 1/11, BWV 6/10, HH 3/10, AKV/BWV1/10,AKV11/09, OKW 3/09, BWV 1/09, BWV 10/08,AKV/BWV/HHI/CHARLESTON PL 4/08,BWV 9/07, HH 4/07, BWV 2/06, BWV 10/05, OKW 2/05,BWV 3/04,BWV 10/03, BWV 2/03, BWV4/02,Wonder&BWV2/01,BWV 5/00,Offsite2/00,WL/CS98,Poly 6/95
DeeCee735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #20
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran

I am sorry you didn't have a fun experience by yourself!

I haven't ever gone on vacation alone, but DH and I do split up on occasion to do things that the other doesn't want to. For instance, I hate Mission: Space and he doesn't really see the need to ride Soarin' 5 times in one day...

Anyway, the last time I was there, I was in the Soarin' line alone. I was near-ish to the front but there were still a lot of people ahead of me. They were looking for a party of 1 to fill the last spot in the next group to ride. I felt like a total rock star when they made everyone move to the side so that I could walk past to get on the ride!

You never know when something unexpected will happen. I encourage you not to give up on experiencing WDW alone or feeling like you can't go off by yourself even if you travel there with friends/family.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #21
AuroraRora
Princess

I'm generally fine with spending time alone, and in the parks in the past my family would split up if we all wanted to do different things so waiting in lines for rides myself is no issue. But I'm going on my first solo trip in the Spring and the "just one?" thing is making me wary of restaurants myself. I have no problem with wandering around eating or CS, but I feel like I might miss outta on TS dinners. There are a few places that I'd like to eat at, that my family either never went to or maybe couldn't afford for all of us to go. But I just can't imagine sitting in somewhere like Le Celliere eating dinner by myself amongst all the groups. And don't even get me started on Character Breakfasts myself! Maybe I just need to work up to it, who knows.
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #22
karly05
DIS Veteran

I've said it before, but I'll say it again - do not be afraid to dine solo at WDW. I can count on one hand the times I've eaten solo in a restaurant at home, so I'm not a "veteran" at that, but all my experiences this year at WDW were great (Via Napoli, Les Chefs, Flying Fish) and I did not feel awkward at all. (I've never done a character meal by myself, but I know others here have.) If there is a restaurant you've always wanted to try, go for it!

I was probably a little uncertain at first of how things were going to go (the trip in general), but I got comfortable quickly. I fly, but I've been on planes alone before for trips other than WDW; that's the easy part. I like doing things solo, but this year's trip really was a big adventure for me. If you're at all independent and comfortable doing things on your own, I say give it a try.
2013 - POFQ - Mardi Gras in the Little Easy
2014 - POFQ - "Eat Around the World" - Yes. Yes, I did.
2015 - POFQ - As P&F say: Carpe Diem! 4 Parks in a Day

karly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #23
DisNorth
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by intricatejewel View Post
I did my best to shrug it off, but the whole thing just left me with an unpleasant experience and I've resolved to never travel travel solo to Disney again. I'll continue to come back, but with friends and family to enrich the experience.
So sorry you had this experence and your trip didn't go as you would have hoped.
Solo isn't for everyone but I travel a lot alone. Disney I found was completly the easiest place to travel alone. I've gotten far more comments other places. There was only one time I was slightly annoyed about someone making a big deal about me being alone and that was a photopass photographer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee735 View Post
I'm looking at having to travel alone for the first time due to my DH having to cancel because of hurricane sandy closing his business for a bit. Now he can't take time off.
I'm mixed between canceling and giving solo a try. I'm a pretty strong willed independent happy friendly person, but I must admit I haven't been alone for a long long time. I'm wondering if it will "feel" ok to be alone for four days?

Was the first time you went awkward at all or were you comfortable from the get go? If awkward, how'd you get past that? Do you have to travel far on your own to get there? Any hints or tips I can consider to be more comfortable? I don't really want to cancel, I have quite a few things booked. Any info any of you can provide will be appreciated! Thanks!
Sorry that Sandy has caused your DH to be unable to travel but I think you should try it alone. 4 days isn't very long, nice length for your first solo trip. Take that chance to papmper yourself and do stuff your DH won't be as keen on doing. If you think you might be loney there is wifi in Magic Kingom - if you have a wifi enabled phone or ipod or somthing you can 'check in' with your DH - and make him jelouse!

When I travel solo (not just disney) I always have a loose plan in my head but am really flexable and don't hold myself to it. Go with the flow, if you are tired don't worry about making roap drop.

Ask away if there are any specifics that you are worried about travel-wise, ask!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #24
ols386
I want to live at Disney World!!

Well, you tried it, and have had the experience, but just didn't care for going solo. Nothing wrong with that.

I've gone solo several times and thoroughly enjoyed it. I did a few TS restaurants, and did (at times) feel a tiny bit out of place being by myself, but got over it. For all anyone else knows, maybe I WAS at WDW with someone else, but just wanted to dine at a particular place, that my dh (or whoever) didn't want to dine.

I think a person has to feel pretty comfortable with their own company (not that you don't, op) to be able to go to a place like WDW, solo. JMO

I also enjoy going with friends and family too. Going solo is just a different way to travel, that's all.
CBR October 2010, Polynesian December 2009, Wilderness Lodge September 2009, POFQ March 2009, DCL (Wonder) May 2008, Port Orleans Riverside January 2008, Contemporary Resort January 2007, Coronado Springs Resort January 2006, DCL (Wonder) February 2005, POP April 2004, Grand Floridian November 2003, Caribbean Beach Resort March 2002, DCL (Magic) March 2001, Various Visits During Past 15 Years
ols386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #25
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Interesting! I did a few solo days on my last trip and a completely solo trip in January and didn't have that at all (I am female). The only time it was brought up was when they needed a solo rider, and when I shot my arm up, I got a "lucky you!" from CMs (and others in line as well!).

That's too bad. I loved my solo time and am ready to go back.
ZehnJahren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #26
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

I find it weird that most people won't travel alone. In my circle of friends and coworkers, people travel alone all the time. Also, going to the movies alone or eating alone doesn't raise eyebrows either.

I agree that sometimes people think it's strange or dangerous for a woman to do these things alone, but they need to get over it.

OP, I'm sorry your trip wasn't all you had hoped.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #27
dani77
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRora View Post
...and the "just one?" thing is making me wary of restaurants myself. I have no problem with wandering around eating or CS, but I feel like I might miss outta on TS dinners.
But I just can't imagine sitting in somewhere like Le Celliere eating dinner by myself amongst all the groups. And don't even get me started on Character Breakfasts myself! Maybe I just need to work up to it, who knows.

Don't miss out on the TS places! I'm a female solo traveller myself, having taken a trip to WDW for the first time past may. I only made 2 TS adrs because I didn't want to waste a lot of time in restaurants as opposed to seeing the parks and enjoying the rides. But those 2 meals were wonderful! I also felt strange among all those families, sitting at my table solo but I surely didn't regret it.
I had breakfast at CP and was not sure if a character meal would be fun as a solo adult but I really had a blast. My server was wonderful, the characters were nice and I just had fun watching all the kids around me having a great time. I just spent my meal people-watching and enjoyed it a lot.
Second adr was for the wishes dessert party. At the entrance, I was greeted by my server with "just one?" and when I answered "yeah...and having the time of my life travelling solo" he just replied "wow...must be so awesome to spend time at wdw doing whatever whenever you want...I would loooooooooooooove to do that one day"

So, don't hesitate to have sit-down meals when going solo. It's a good time to recharge your batteries, check the pictues you have taken or make friends and family jealous by making live facebook or twitter postings

Me, myself and I...all the way from Germany going to the World
dani77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #28
PeterPanic
DIS Veteran

Talking

I know that going solo kind of makes one self conscience, but, honestly no one is commenting on your social status, they just need to know how many are in your party. Life would be a lot easier if we were able to not read to much into things that people say. Ask yourself, why would they care? You will find the answer is, they don't! Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar!
PeterPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #29
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

I think the "just one" comments happen the most at MK. I got a couple today at MK, especially on some of the Fantasyland rides. I thought of the OP when it happened to me. It was annoying, but I'm having fun so far on my solo trip.

Tomorrow I'm doing DHS for a bit and then Epcot. I booked the Candlelight Processional Package so we'll see how I fare dining solo at a TS. Most of the rides at DHS I ride alone anyway, even when my sister is with me, because she is a chicken. So that won't feel too foreign anyway.

My little baby niece (she's three) was talking to me on the phone tonight and I was told she wanted to come pick me up,lol. When told that I was far away and could only be reached by plane, she said maybe her daddy would build her one. She was sad that she couldn't see me. I admit, that made me a little .
Can't wait until I can start taking her on trips someday..
Old 12-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #30
AuroraRora
Princess

Normally when I call Reservations with questions about my dates, they ask how many people and when I say "Just one" they say "ok, one person...." but there's usually a split-second pause where I feel like they're thinking "JUST one??" Today I called about the cardholder discount and the CM asked how many in my party, and I said "just one" and she was immediately like "Just you, WOW, you are gonna have the BEST time just doing what YOU want!!" and she sounded all excited. Made me feel even more excited too
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: