Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #91
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Glad it's not too bad Dona. Can you get a couple of sessions of physical therapy for the ankle? Hope they don't bother you too much this weekend.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #92
Disneywedding2010
DIS Veteran

I've skimmed through the thread.

We've not done any holiday shopping. I'm not even decorating or making a traditional Christmas meal this year. Its not that I'm not in the mood. We just have a lot going on right now.

We have someone coming Sunday to view the house. I know realistically this may take some time to sell and I'm okay with that. I went frantic a few days ago but I'm okay now.

I love having friends visit but I'll be glad when I can get back to my routine. In about a 2 week time frame I've gained 7 pounds. YIKES!

Hoping to get back on track Sunday, best friend is going home tomorrow night.
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #93
glss1/2fll
DIS Veteran

Dona-glad nothing's broken! Hope you heal up in no time.

I am completely enjoying an evening with nobody home! It is lovely. DS2 is at an out of town basketball game. Will text him here in a bit to hear how it went. DS1 & DH went to a game at our college alma mater who is playing one of DS1's friends. He got a basketball scholarship there so my fellas are really eager to see him play! I've been relaxing but now am thinking I really should go to the grocery store. Maybe later. Quiet time like this will be scare for the next several weeks!

Hope ya'll have a good weekend.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #94
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by donac View Post
I just came home from the doctors. No breaks but sprains. My ankle and wrist are both braced. She wants me to stretch, ice etc. I have to go back next Wed.

Thanks for all the good thoughts.
Dona, glad to hear that nothing is broken. Sending oodles of good thoughts and for a speedy and painless recovery.

Last edited by lisah0711; 12-09-2012 at 07:12 AM.
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #95
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Evening all! Coming to you from a Manchester Monarchs hockey game! Not exactly where I would normally choose to spend a Saturday night, but I needed to support DS and his robotics team, so here I am!

Sorry I wasn't on earlier today...just a busy day with laundry, laundry, and more laundry! Plus other housework, of course. Never made it to my scrapping table either.

Oh wow! Lights just went out! Not ready for that!

Off to show enthusiasm for the game! Be back in a bit when it gets boring....like in about 10 minutes! ............P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #96
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by glss1/2fll View Post
Oh Dona! ouch ouch
I have now subbed every day this week and the week before and the week before...! grrr Cannot wait for winter break! I was all set today to enjoy a pot of tea--was reaching for the tea kettle and the phone rang. I really need to just ignore it! Too bad I feel so guilty telling my friends "NO"--except it's just a computer! Oh, I should quit griping and be happy about the extra money. With DS1 in college and DS2 going to Europe next summer we need it!

So I really like the new challenge format idea.

I just got the exercise challenge thread updated. I love the colors. If you are working out it's a really fun thread to join. Just pick a number, any number for your goal and go for it!

I have yet to make it to the grocery store this month. Needless to say we are eating out of the freezer! : 1 meal in a bag with an extra bag of veggies thrown in, one Costco chicken/rice meal, last night burgers, tonight Papa Murphy's pizza--I love their gourmet vegetarian. Tomorrow everybody is going their own direction so it's a fend for yourself night. Better do some planning/shopping over the weekend. It's not too crazy busy so should be doable.

Supposedly DS1 is coming home at some point tonight for his winter break. That'll be a month with him hanging out. hmmm

The last load in the dryer is almost done. Good thing because it's awfully close to my bedtime! Have a great Friday and a super weekend.
I've been subbing every day too! Love the $$, but not the way it makes life so crazy when I am out of the house every single night too!

Enjoys your time with DS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
I am sorry about the fall Dona. I hope it is nothing serious.

Have you tried the tree pose(yoga) and the movements associated with it? My ankle was a mess this time last year from a really bad sprain in the spring. It was swollen most of the time and I had a lump right below the bone that never went away. I had developed some nasty tendonitis in it as well. Anyhow, I went to physical therapy and it helped, but the tree poses really helped too with strength. The other thing the therapist had me do was to stand on one foot (the one with the sore ankle) on something soft (they had a foam pad, at home I used a pillow) and play catch. I did some strength stuff too. Anyhow, I never thought I would be free of ankle pain, and it very rarely bothers me now. It was just a very slow process and I really had to be diligent about sticking with the therapy/rehab, but it was worth it.

Well, you might not be able to push that far today, but that's where the training comes in.If you can do what you can now, you can train to do the rest of it.

Running is very much like weight loss. There really are no shortcuts. It's all about the process and the training. I am confident you could train for a half marathon if that's what you decide to do.

My DS's first break home after he went away to school was "interesting". We have friends who love every minute of it and never want them to go back, and then we know people more like us who enjoy having them home and by the end are helping them pack the car and are pushing them out the door when they leave.
Hope everyone has a great Friday. I had a goal of 5 pounds by the end of the year (or Christmas), can't remember. Anyhow as of today only down about about 1/2 pound in the last 3 weeks, but I am good with it. It is still down and not up, so I will take it.
I will continue to do my run/walk thing and will ramp up to " real" training if I officially decide to do the half. Thanks for the encouragement.

Yup...down even 1/2 is way better than up! I was only down .3 this week, but considering I had ice cream nearly every night, I was pleased.

Ok friends.....I had a bunch of chatter ready to post but somehow deleted it when I was trying to eliminate an overage of smilies. Oh well.

Gotta go root on the home team....because apparently I get some good sounding coupons if they win! This game just got more interesting!

First period went quickly......maybe because I was on the Dis the whole time!.......P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!

Last edited by pjlla; 12-09-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:06 AM   #97
pjlla
<><

Beautiful Sunday morning everyone!

I hope everyone is feeling healthy today! Dona... continuing to pray for that ankle!

What's on the agenda for today? I don't have a particular plan, but it dawns on me that Christmas is in about 15 days and I have almost NOTHING bought!! I am officially in panic mode! I have never, ever, ever, ever been this disorganized and this far behind! I am the kind of person who takes pride on being done buying and wrapping by the first weekend in December sometimes! What is WRONG with me this year?? I am taking the time today to make a SOLID LIST (along with stores and coupons) and have a goal to be 90% done by Friday. Can I do it?? Wait and see!

I've been really lax on my meal planning lately... partially because I"ve been busy and partially because I just haven't made it a priority. I plan on sitting down today and planning every dinner between now and Christmas. It should make the next two weeks a little easier.

Tuesday night I am hosting a pasta supper for DD's HS swim team.... so at least I have that night's meal planned! It won't be hard and it won't be fancy, but this is what DD wants. Spaghetti and sauce (I'll make a plain marinara and a meat sauce), big tossed salad, garlic rolls, and a dessert. I have an easy "standard" dessert I usually make for this time of event (super easy ice cream cake), but it is something I have trouble resisting, so I plan to make something different this year. I'm thinking of a cookie assortment, as I have a few types of cookie dough in the freezer.... gingerbread, chocolate chip, and snickerdoodle. I can bake them up and then freeze any leftovers for Christmas day. Plus if anyone asks what they can bring, I can say cookies.

I should get outside for some exercise today, since the sun is shining, but not sure I will make it between housework, meal planning, church, etc. But I'll be on the TM bright and early tomorrow morning. Maybe today I will do some Wii yoga with DS... it will get me some exercise and a bit of fun time with DS. He will probably agree to do it if I agree to play a few Wii games with him afterwards.

Up next..... my kale and mushroom soup recipe!...................P

Old 12-09-2012, 07:16 AM   #98
pjlla
<><

Kale and Mushroom soup

1/2 pound of cleaned and chopped raw kale

1.5 - 2 lbs of assorted mushrooms, cleaned and sliced (white button and baby bellas are fine)

2 - 48 oz. cartons of fat-free organic chicken stock

Dash of tumeric and garlic powder

Pam spray

Directions:

Sautee sliced mushrooms in PAM until nicely browned (do in small batches to allow them to brown and for the moisture to evaporate). Meanwhile, place the chicken stock and kale in a large stock/soup pot and bring to a boil.

Add the sauteed mushrooms to the stockpot. Turn down to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes to cook the kale through. Add a dash or two or tumeric and garlic powder. DONE!

How easy was that!??

For DH, I added two chopped links of garlic chicken sausage to the bowl.

Can it be made with vegetable stock? Sure.... and I've made it both ways, but I've got to say, I like the taste MUCH BETTER with the chicken stock.

Can you add other veggies? Sure! Next time I am sauteeing some onions along with the mushrooms. Maybe some fresh garlic too.

Where is the salt and pepper? I don't like pepper, so I don't add it, but you certainly can! The stock I used this time was store-bought and as such it had plenty of salt already, but feel free to add it to adjust for your taste.

..........................................P

Old 12-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #99
lisah0711
her Disney office

Good morning all!

Pamela, sorry the poof fairy paid you a visit this morning -- sounds like you had a double whammy with the poof fairy and the smilie police.

Not too much exciting going on here today except the usual get ready for the school week. DS has choir rehearsals, a concert to give and a concert to attend so it will be busy after school every night this week. I try to stay home on Sundays -- it's a treat not to have to go to work or someplace else.

How is the yoga on the Wii, Pamela? Of course you have to play some games, too, when you are done. It's what our teenage boys do. I don't mind since I know exactly where he is and what he is doing.

I did a yoga class yesterday for the first time in a long time and it was a humbling experience. But I'll give it another go this week.

Have a great Sunday!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #100
lisah0711
her Disney office

Old 12-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #101
mikamah
DIS Veteran

Good sunday afternoon friends!!

Hope you're all enjoying your weekends. I baked cookies yesterday, spritz, and gingerbread men, but we didn't decorate the gingerbread yet. I also put all my inside decorations out, and today we're headed to a holiday party for people I used to work with. Should be fun. They are doing an ornament swap.

Pamela-I chuckled at your advice, make a cookie I don't like, I can't think of one. It is the season, and I need to just be reasonable. I am shocked you didn't finish your shopping this past august. I have no doubt you will make your list, and be at least 90% done on friday.

Lisa-Hope you're enjoying your sunday at home. Mike has his school concert this week too, tuesday, but it's at 115, so I'm praying my 10-2 shift can be made a 9-1 or just get cancelled. Good luck to Robert at his concert this week. I chuckled at the video game comment. Michael was complaining his shoulder was sore, and I said it was probably from the wii skate-it game he's currently addicted to. lol. At least to play it he's standing up. But if I didn't recommend he stop sometimes, I think he'd play it 24/7.

Dona-So sorry about the fall. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Hello to everyone else!!
I'll wish you all a wonderful, stress-free, healthy week!! ( I'm just accepting now that I'm a weekly poster)

FEB 2014-Princesspalooza!!! Can not wait!!!
Feb 2011-Princess half marathon trip!!!
Aug 2010-michael's surprise trip!!!
Nov '09-Pop w/Jim,Beth & Taylor!!!
Jan '09 Pop-just Michael and Mom
April '08- Pop-w/ Jane + Jessa
Dec 06- ASMusic-Michael's 1st time/5th B-day/Xmas trip w/ cousin Taylor etc.
May 2000- ecpot during work conference
April 1996-ASSp-family trip
Oct 1991- CBR-my first trip
mikamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:52 AM   #102
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

Good morning everyone.

My ankle is feeling better but my wrist is still giving me problems. It was really sore after I did grocery shopping.

Pamela I know what you mean about Christmas presents. Dh has been shopping but he never shops for anyone except for me and sometimes small things for the boys. He never buys family presents either. ALthough yesterday he was walking through the Disney store and bought me something. He couldn't wait to give it to me since they were 6 villian ornaments.

I am pretty lucky in that for the last few years we have given neices and nephews Visa debit cards so they can get what they want. One year that is all we got our ds's. We gift wrapped them in different size boxes but they had a blast going off and shopping for what they want. It may be time to do that again.

I have a busy week coming up. Yesterday we finished the local school's fall play and we packed up costumes last night. Tuesday is my school's holiday part. Wed I promised a friend to help her for an hour.

I worked on the tree yesterday. I have to look at it this afternoon but I think I am just about done. Decorating is pretty much done. The Christmas card letter is written but I am just waiting for final approval from ds's. If I can get the shopping done and the cards out this week I will be very happy. I can bake next weekend

Off to get the day started. Wish me luck that the copy machines are working.

Have a happy and healthy day.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #103
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
Good morning all!

Pamela, sorry the poof fairy paid you a visit this morning -- sounds like you had a double whammy with the poof fairy and the smilie police.

It was mostly just me being stupid with the Ipad. I've had it for a year and I still don't know how to use it well!

Not too much exciting going on here today except the usual get ready for the school week. DS has choir rehearsals, a concert to give and a concert to attend so it will be busy after school every night this week. I try to stay home on Sundays -- it's a treat not to have to go to work or someplace else.

I agree... it is a HUGE treat to just stay home for a day.... hence we skipped church yesterday..

How is the yoga on the Wii, Pamela? Of course you have to play some games, too, when you are done. It's what our teenage boys do. I don't mind since I know exactly where he is and what he is doing.

He didn't feel like playing the Wii with me... he spent most of the day on Minecraft and homework. So my exercise yesterday was laundry and dishes.

I did a yoga class yesterday for the first time in a long time and it was a humbling experience. But I'll give it another go this week.

Have a great Sunday!
I need to find a yoga class. I should look at the Y schedule after the first of the year. The little bit of yoga I have done I really enjoyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
AMEN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikamah View Post
Good sunday afternoon friends!!

Hope you're all enjoying your weekends. I baked cookies yesterday, spritz, and gingerbread men, but we didn't decorate the gingerbread yet. I also put all my inside decorations out, and today we're headed to a holiday party for people I used to work with. Should be fun. They are doing an ornament swap.

I haven't even THOUGHT about decorations really. I asked for someone to help me get some stuff out this weekend and got NO HELP... so we have no tree and no decorations yet. oh well. It is DD's last year at home (although I presume she will come home from college for Christmas break unless she is out of the country) and I wanted to make it special.... but at this rate I'll be happy to settle for "average"!!

Pamela-I chuckled at your advice, make a cookie I don't like, I can't think of one. It is the season, and I need to just be reasonable. I am shocked you didn't finish your shopping this past august. I have no doubt you will make your list, and be at least 90% done on friday.

List is only partially done and I'm not even sure if I will make it out shopping before Thursday of this week!! That being said, I FINALLY came up with a great idea for DS this weekend.... but sadly my "great" idea for DBrother was shot down by DH (for good reasons).

Lisa-Hope you're enjoying your sunday at home. Mike has his school concert this week too, tuesday, but it's at 115, so I'm praying my 10-2 shift can be made a 9-1 or just get cancelled. Good luck to Robert at his concert this week. I chuckled at the video game comment. Michael was complaining his shoulder was sore, and I said it was probably from the wii skate-it game he's currently addicted to. lol. At least to play it he's standing up. But if I didn't recommend he stop sometimes, I think he'd play it 24/7.

When DS complains about his neck/back/shoulders, I remind him how much time he is spending hunched over his laptop playing Minecraft and watching Yogscasts!! I've asked him to get up and stretch every 30 minutes, but he thinks I'm just a crazy old lady!

Dona-So sorry about the fall. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Hello to everyone else!!
I'll wish you all a wonderful, stress-free, healthy week!! ( I'm just accepting now that I'm a weekly poster)
We miss you during the week, but I'm just glad you are here when you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donac View Post
Good morning everyone.

My ankle is feeling better but my wrist is still giving me problems. It was really sore after I did grocery shopping.

You shouldn't be carrying groceries with your injuries!! You should have recruited some help!

Pamela I know what you mean about Christmas presents. Dh has been shopping but he never shops for anyone except for me and sometimes small things for the boys. He never buys family presents either. ALthough yesterday he was walking through the Disney store and bought me something. He couldn't wait to give it to me since they were 6 villian ornaments.

I know what you mean. DH is good about getting something for me... and sometimes for the name he picks for my side of the family.... but that is usually it. The bulk of it falls on me, no matter what. THat being said, he does work for UPS and this isn't exactly a relaxing time of year for him!

I am pretty lucky in that for the last few years we have given neices and nephews Visa debit cards so they can get what they want. One year that is all we got our ds's. We gift wrapped them in different size boxes but they had a blast going off and shopping for what they want. It may be time to do that again.

I've done that before and may end up doing it again this year. My nephews are the HARDEST purchase every year. Might as well make life easy on yourself and make it fun for them!

I have a busy week coming up. Yesterday we finished the local school's fall play and we packed up costumes last night. Tuesday is my school's holiday part. Wed I promised a friend to help her for an hour.

You have my permission to beg off on Wednesday if your ankle and wrist still hurt!

I worked on the tree yesterday. I have to look at it this afternoon but I think I am just about done. Decorating is pretty much done. The Christmas card letter is written but I am just waiting for final approval from ds's. If I can get the shopping done and the cards out this week I will be very happy. I can bake next weekend

Off to get the day started. Wish me luck that the copy machines are working.

Have a happy and healthy day.
Sounds like you are on track for the holidays, despite your injuries. Wish I could say that I was!!

Happy Monday friends! I am HOME today with SO MUCH to do! I am having 9 girls over for pasta supper tomorrow night, so the downstairs MUST be cleaned today and I will be setting the table. Then I will bring down the Wii and ask DS to set it up on the living room tv tonight. Usually I would send the kids up to the playroom for that, but I don't want to clean it and I don't want to heat it.... plus it isn't a big group, so they can easily fit in the living room.

I did my hour+ on the TM this morning, so at least that is out of the way. I do have some running around to do this afternoon, but DD can't make it to her regular swim practice in Nashua, so I only have to take her to her old pool, 30 minutes away and I will run out for salad stuff and maybe a bit of Christmas shopping while she is swimming.

While I would love to chat here, my coffee cup is empty and it is time to get cleaning! I left on my scrungy exercise clothes so I would have no excuses! I'm gonna turn up the music and clean!! TTYL.............P

Old 12-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #104
Worfiedoodles
DIS Veteran

Morning, Ladies!

I feel guilty because I am not really posting much here -- it's turned into my busy time at work and I am swamped. But I did want to wish Dona a speedy recovery and Pamela good luck with your pasta party!

I ran 10M yesterday. I have lost some speed with my injury and weight gain (it's really bad), so I just did the best I could. Once I get through the WDW Half, I am going to rededicate myself to weight loss and back down my distances so I can run more often. I'm concentrating on weight loss in 2013 until I need to start training for the 2014 Princess!

Everyone hang in there during this busy time of year -- every good choice you make is a blessing, as FlyLady says, we are going for progress, not perfection!

Maria

Worfiedoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #105
glss1/2fll
DIS Veteran

Howdy. I am just plugging away here. Seems like we were busy this weekend, but I can't think of what we did! DS2 was in the evening parade on Saturday. DH and I went to the town next door to see him and as soon as he and his giant drum were past us we high tailed it home! DH doesn't do cold--he would love to move to Florida!

Worked half a day today; I finally made it to the grocery store in the afternoon! Tomorrow I work a full day, take the dog to the vet to have his stitches removed then go to DS2's basketball game. Wednesday DS1 has all his wisdom teeth removed. That takes place an hour away so will be a fun drive home. There are basketball games both Thursday and Friday and someone asked me if I could sub for her on Friday.

Pamela, I hear ya on the ipad. I can't do anything on it, but then again, I never really try! internet, solitaire, and one spreadsheet for keeping track of my exercise minutes. That's the extent of my ability!

DH did some shopping over the weekend, so there's at least a dent in our unfinished list. The kids haven't taken their yearly photo at Walmart and the letter isn't written. Hey! I've still got 15 days!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: