Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 03:01 AM   #16
kaligal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuyaJeff View Post
I can appreciate a barbershop quartet, especially the Dapper Dans! I think them singing boyband songs just shows them that they're very versatile with thier singing. I would think it was a challenge to "barber quartet"-up the songs they're doing.

As for Lida Rose, it is a classic that I can respect. For all we know, it could have been the "boyband" interpretation of it's time.
Lida Rose was not a boy band song. We do know that, lol.

Main Street has just gone so far from its roots. To me, it is sad.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #17
BridgetR3
DIS Veteran

So is there a calendar out somewhere? Did the announcement say that the Dapper Dans would be in early January? Help I need to know when Pirates week(s) is!!!
BridgetR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #18
eeyorefan107
Mouseketeer

Thank you for sharing. I thought the Dapper Dans did a wonderful job. I loved it.

Counting down the days until our next Disney Trip!!

eeyorefan107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #19
andyman8
DIS Veteran

To be blunt, I still think this whole LTM idea is stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetR3 View Post
So is there a calendar out somewhere? Did the announcement say that the Dapper Dans would be in early January? Help I need to know when Pirates week(s) is!!!
No and no. I don't expect Disney to release ever release a full 2013 calendar; they'll probably just tweet each week's theme or put it on their website or something, as it would make them "social media savy". I would expect the first announcement around (perhaps just after) Christmas, but we'll see.

Walt Disney World Resort

March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop, AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort
October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)
Disneyland Resort
August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)
Upcoming
Walt Disney World June 2014 (GF for 5 Nights/5 Days)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #20
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligal View Post
Hate it. I don't even like the idea of the Dapper Dans singing boy band songs. I will try to avoid seeing it in person.
I thought they did an excellent job of picking songs (or song parts) that sounded "natural" with four part harmony. One of the reasons I don't like Straight No Chaser's "Teen Sensation Medley" is that it feels like a bunch of kids imitating a rock song; the Dapper Dan medley felt like the songs could have been written for that format.

I'm not really familiar with the songs either band chose, which might make a big difference.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #21
GatorLady
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing Robo! My DD10 loved the One Direction song.

Recent trips: Jan 2014: Poly. May 2013: Contemporary. Christmas 2012: POP. May 2012: WL. Christmas 2011: WL. August 2011: POP. May 2011: WL. Feb 2011: CBR. Christmas 2010: WL. Halloween 2010: ASSports. Summer 2010: WL/Contemporary. First trip: 1974
GatorLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #22
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
To be blunt, I still think this whole LTM idea is stupid.
It's a plan with the potential to make about 10% of savvy guests happy, and about 70% of savvy guests unhappy, at any given time. (At least 20% won't care, either way.)

I don't like those odds, when a different kind of program could allow guests to make an advanced decision.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #23
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
It's a plan with the potential to make about 10% of savvy guests happy, and about 70% of savvy guests unhappy, at any given time. (At least 20% won't care, either way.)

I don't like those odds, when a different kind of program could allow guests to make an advanced decision.
I wonder where did you get numbers?

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #24
heart
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I'll agree with your numbers--and put myself in the 70% unhappy!

Why "surprise" guests with long-lost friends when most are their to see Mickey and Cindy? My DS is a HUGE character fan and we'd make a special trip if we could plan in advance. He's got pictures of Clarabelle's footprints from near the circus tent in Fantasyland for goodness sake. I didn't say he wasn't a bit odd, but we love him!
heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #25
BridgetR3
DIS Veteran

I think marketed the correct way this could bring more profits and higher crowds to Disney. On January 1, share a calendar so that families can plan. I know we are a family that would take a special trip just for pirates week. We would need a place to stay and food to eat as well as tickets. This would bring Disney a lot more money than waiting til the week of and announcing it on Twitter (if that's what they plan to do). If they wait that long then the only people who are going to enjoy this promotion are the people already in the parks and the people who live VERY close to Disney. Neither of those groups of people are going to bring lots of extra money into Disney.

Not sure I understand the whole promotion......
BridgetR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #26
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
On January 1, share a calendar so that families can plan. I know we are a family that would take a special trip just for pirates week.
If they do it this way, or put up a calender every few months (winter, spring, summer, MNSSHP, MVMCP ), I would think it would pull in more people than only announcing things the week or day of.

People thought the whole "pictures on the castle" thing would be boring, and once people actually saw it there were a lot of positive reviews and a couple of, "Okay, I was wrong"s. So who knows?
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #27
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
I think marketed the correct way this could bring more profits and higher crowds to Disney. On January 1, share a calendar so that families can plan. I know we are a family that would take a special trip just for pirates week. We would need a place to stay and food to eat as well as tickets. This would bring Disney a lot more money than waiting til the week of and announcing it on Twitter (if that's what they plan to do). If they wait that long then the only people who are going to enjoy this promotion are the people already in the parks and the people who live VERY close to Disney. Neither of those groups of people are going to bring lots of extra money into Disney.

Not sure I understand the whole promotion......
Of course the whole idea behind any promotion is to bring more profits to Disney. It's just that some ideas are a whole lot better than others. Last years big New Years Eve announcement consisted of 1 Day out of the entire year where they opened MK for 24 hours. 1. day. While they had pretty good attendance for that day, how many people would pay airfare, hotels, food and tickets just for that?

So I agree- if it's to be a success they'll have to provide a decent lead time for each of these weeks so people can make plans. And they can't confine it to just Twitter. I'm sure that they realize that there is still a segment of society that isn't glued to their smart phones 24/7. Or that, gasp, don't even own a smart phone.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #28
SyracuseWolvrine
Hockey Fanatic
Is he a bigger hockey fan than a Canadian?

As someone who enjoys listening to Barbershop Quartets, I always enjoy the Dapper Dans. That being said, the idea of boy band music* on Main St USA is awful. So, I'll watch the Dans when they're not singing boy bands, and avoid them when they are. Fortunately, Youtube has got a lot of great Barbershop selections.

*Boy bands are not music to my ears.
The opinions and comments in the above post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, policies or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all areas contained therein. Any information or advice in the above post is subject to change at any time without notice. Tampering with, disabling, or destroying lavatory smoke detectors is prohibited. This post may contain nuts or be written by someone who is nuts. Void where prohibited. This post may not be reproduced without express written permission of the Commissioner of Baseball. The moving rubber line is moving at the same speed as you. Member FDIC.
SyracuseWolvrine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: