Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think
 
disneysteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 11,036

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat

First, congratulations to Pete, Kevin, and whoever else has been successfully losing weight. Pete really nailed it when he said he has finally discovered the secret - eat less food. Once you realize that, the pounds start melting away, so good job for that.

I just finished the 10/31 show (yes, I know I'm behind - I'm working on that ) and someone (one of the new correspondents whose name escapes me right now) made a comment about gaining weight due to buidling muscle mass from exercise because muscle weighs more than fat.

Sorry to disappoint you but that is complete and utter nonsense. Remember the old riddle: Which weighs more - a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks? The answer is they both weigh a pound. The same is true for fat and muscle. The difference isn't weight but rather density. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. That's why when you lose body fat and build muscle mass you tone up and get firmer. You may not lose any weight but you will look trimmer.

If you are trying to lose weight and get healthier, you want to gain muscle mass and decrease body fat. Not only does it help you look leaner, muscle also has a higher metabolism than fat so the more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns, even if you are just sitting on the sofa doing nothing.

So again, congrats to Pete, Kevin, and everyone else working on this. But the next time somebody tries to use the excuse that they gained weight because they gained muscle, don't buy it.
__________________
Steve
32 WDW trips since 1978 - 8 onsite, 23 offsite, 1 split on/off ; 1 Disneyland trip in 2005 - offsite (Fairfield Inn)
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Last edited by disneysteve; 12-08-2012 at 07:33 PM.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Mike2023
DIS Veteran
 
Mike2023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,280

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
First, congratulations to Pete, Kevin, and whoever else has been successfully losing weight. Pete really nailed it when he said he has finally discovered the secret - eat less food. Once you realize that, the pounds start melting away, so good job for that.

I just finished the 10/31 show (yes, I know I'm behind - I'm working on that ) and someone (one of the new correspondents whose name escapes me right now) made a comment about gaining weight due to buidling muscle mass from exercise because muscle weighs more than fat.

Sorry to disappoint you but that is complete and utter nonsense. Remember the old riddle: Which weighs more - a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks? The answer is they both weigh a pound. The same is true for fat and muscle. The difference isn't weight but rather density. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. That's why when you lose body fat and build muscle mass you tone up and get firmer. You may not lose any weight but you will look trimmer.

If you are trying to lose weight and get healthier, you want to gain muscle mass and decrease body fat. Not only does it help you look leaner, muscle also has a migher metabolism than fat so the more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns, even if you are just sitting on the sofa doing nothing.

So again, congrats to Pete, Keven, and everyone else working on this. But the next time somebody tries to use the excuse that they gained weight because they gained muscle, don't buy it.
If a pound of muscle takes up less space then a pound of fat then by your definition muscle weighs more then fat?
__________________
Check out my Disney Vacation Planning Tools HERE where you can get pdf files for your Phone / iPad / PC / Mac.


{1997 - July - CBR (First Trip)}{1999 - July - Off site}{2005 - June - Off site (Honeymoon)}{2006 - May - Off site (1 Year Anniversary)}
{2008 - April - AKL (3 Year Anniversary)}{2009 - May - AKL,POLY,POR (4 Year Anniversary/DD first Trip)}{2010 - Jan - BLT,AKV,POLY}
{2010 - Oct - BLT,BCV,AKL}{2011 - Aug - AKL}{2012 - Jun - PCC3.0,AKL,BCV}{2013 - May - AKL,DCL}{2013 - Oct - POP}{2014 - Mar - AOA,BLT,DCL}
{2015 - Feb - BWV (Daytonay500)}{2015 - Oct - Offsite,DCL,US (10th Anniversary)}
Mike2023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think
 
disneysteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 11,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2023 View Post
If a pound of muscle takes up less space then a pound of fat then by your definition muscle weighs more then fat?
Nope. You're confusing weight and volume which are not the same thing.

One pound of muscle weighs one pound.
One pound of fat weighs one pound.

One cubic inch of muscle weighs more than one cubic inch of fat however.

Another common exercise/weight loss myth is when people say they converted their fat into muscle. That isn't possible. Fat is fat and muscle is muscle. One can't become the other.
__________________
Steve
32 WDW trips since 1978 - 8 onsite, 23 offsite, 1 split on/off ; 1 Disneyland trip in 2005 - offsite (Fairfield Inn)
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
disneydad78
DDC #106
More important its about having some FUN!
We just LOVE its a small world!!;)
 
disneydad78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pineville,La
Posts: 849

I love this and how SO many people think that. A pound is a pound!!

You are correct Steve.
__________________
DISDADS member #106
(DD 16)(DS 12)(DS 8)(DW 32)(ME 35)
OffSite ('92) OffSite ('05) BonnetCreek ('07) BonnetCreek ('08) POR ('09) POR ('10) POR MVMCP ('11) POR MVMCP ('12) upcoming POR MNSSHP ('13)
disneydad78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place
 
LilyWDW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Indy
Posts: 9,265

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Nope. You're confusing weight and volume which are not the same thing.

One pound of muscle weighs one pound.
One pound of fat weighs one pound.

One cubic inch of muscle weighs more than one cubic inch of fat however.

Another common exercise/weight loss myth is when people say they converted their fat into muscle. That isn't possible. Fat is fat and muscle is muscle. One can't become the other.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Yes, this is one of those pet peeves that I have.
__________________

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/



LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Bonniec
DIS Veteran
 
Bonniec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,777

How do you know that you gain muscle at the same rate you lose fat? Your thought process just makes me question that.



At any rate, as someone who has lost over 40 pounds in the past 4 months I would agree that the secret is simple. Eat less and move more.

DH and I have both been doing very well. We do use a Fitbit pedometer and I like it because we can enter in the foods we eat and it tells us how much we've burned verses eating. So if I sit on my butt reading the Dis all day, I pretty much have to starve, lol. But if I get in 15,000 steps in the parks I get to eat a lot. (And it sucks because being a dude, my hubby gets to eat SO much more than I do )

We haven't even worried so much about WHAT we eat. We do try to eat more healthy (more bang for the buck), but we still enjoy the same things we always have...just less of it.


ETA: I will add this though, every single time we have long walking days at the parks, we always gain weight the next day. My guess is it is dehydration. It's always hot here and we tend to eat very little when in the parks. So I am guessing that causes water retention or swelling or something. I don't know what it is, but it always causes a gain for both of us. Then a day or two later we have a huge loss. So now we just weigh in during the middle of the week. I wonder if that happens to everyone after a lot of exercise and causes people to think it's muscle.
__________________

Last edited by Bonniec; 12-08-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Bonniec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
Mike2023
DIS Veteran
 
Mike2023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,280

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Nope. You're confusing weight and volume which are not the same thing.

One pound of muscle weighs one pound.
One pound of fat weighs one pound.

One cubic inch of muscle weighs more than one cubic inch of fat however.

Another common exercise/weight loss myth is when people say they converted their fat into muscle. That isn't possible. Fat is fat and muscle is muscle. One can't become the other.
No, im not confused. The title of this thread is "Muscle doesn't weigh more then fat" not "a pound of muscle doesn't weigh more then a point of fat"

A pound of anything weighs the same as a pound of anything else.

One cubic inch of muscle versus one cubic inch of fat the muscle weighs more, therefore muscle weighs more then fat.

Your same example can be applied to any 2 substances.

I agree though that the turm "muscle weighs more then fat" and what it means when it comes to weight loss is an incorrect assumption.
__________________
Check out my Disney Vacation Planning Tools HERE where you can get pdf files for your Phone / iPad / PC / Mac.


{1997 - July - CBR (First Trip)}{1999 - July - Off site}{2005 - June - Off site (Honeymoon)}{2006 - May - Off site (1 Year Anniversary)}
{2008 - April - AKL (3 Year Anniversary)}{2009 - May - AKL,POLY,POR (4 Year Anniversary/DD first Trip)}{2010 - Jan - BLT,AKV,POLY}
{2010 - Oct - BLT,BCV,AKL}{2011 - Aug - AKL}{2012 - Jun - PCC3.0,AKL,BCV}{2013 - May - AKL,DCL}{2013 - Oct - POP}{2014 - Mar - AOA,BLT,DCL}
{2015 - Feb - BWV (Daytonay500)}{2015 - Oct - Offsite,DCL,US (10th Anniversary)}
Mike2023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think
 
disneysteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 11,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
At any rate, as someone who has lost over 40 pounds in the past 4 months I would agree that the secret is simple. Eat less and move more.
That's great! Congrats to you as well.
__________________
Steve
32 WDW trips since 1978 - 8 onsite, 23 offsite, 1 split on/off ; 1 Disneyland trip in 2005 - offsite (Fairfield Inn)
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
Mike2023
DIS Veteran
 
Mike2023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,280

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post

Another common exercise/weight loss myth is when people say they converted their fat into muscle. That isn't possible. Fat is fat and muscle is muscle. One can't become the other.
Again, I think I disagree. When people say they converted their fat into muscle I take that as they lost fat and gained muscle. This can absolutely be done.

Its the same statement as "turn time into money".

Do people really think that fat "turns" into muscle?
__________________
Check out my Disney Vacation Planning Tools HERE where you can get pdf files for your Phone / iPad / PC / Mac.


{1997 - July - CBR (First Trip)}{1999 - July - Off site}{2005 - June - Off site (Honeymoon)}{2006 - May - Off site (1 Year Anniversary)}
{2008 - April - AKL (3 Year Anniversary)}{2009 - May - AKL,POLY,POR (4 Year Anniversary/DD first Trip)}{2010 - Jan - BLT,AKV,POLY}
{2010 - Oct - BLT,BCV,AKL}{2011 - Aug - AKL}{2012 - Jun - PCC3.0,AKL,BCV}{2013 - May - AKL,DCL}{2013 - Oct - POP}{2014 - Mar - AOA,BLT,DCL}
{2015 - Feb - BWV (Daytonay500)}{2015 - Oct - Offsite,DCL,US (10th Anniversary)}
Mike2023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place
 
LilyWDW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Indy
Posts: 9,265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2023 View Post
Again, I think I disagree. When people say they converted their fat into muscle I take that as they lost fat and gained muscle. This can absolutely be done.

Its the same statement as "turn time into money".

Do people really think that fat "turns" into muscle?
Spend enough time on dieting forums and you will see that yes, people believe stuff like that. As well as other healthy eating, exercise, and dieting myths. And a lot of them won't even change their minds when presented with well documented scientifically backed evidence.
__________________

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/



LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #11
kaligal
DIS Veteran
 
kaligal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
First, congratulations to Pete, Kevin, and whoever else has been successfully losing weight. Pete really nailed it when he said he has finally discovered the secret - eat less food. Once you realize that, the pounds start melting away, so good job for that.

I just finished the 10/31 show (yes, I know I'm behind - I'm working on that ) and someone (one of the new correspondents whose name escapes me right now) made a comment about gaining weight due to buidling muscle mass from exercise because muscle weighs more than fat.

Sorry to disappoint you but that is complete and utter nonsense. Remember the old riddle: Which weighs more - a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks? The answer is they both weigh a pound. The same is true for fat and muscle. The difference isn't weight but rather density. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. That's why when you lose body fat and build muscle mass you tone up and get firmer. You may not lose any weight but you will look trimmer.

If you are trying to lose weight and get healthier, you want to gain muscle mass and decrease body fat. Not only does it help you look leaner, muscle also has a higher metabolism than fat so the more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns, even if you are just sitting on the sofa doing nothing.

So again, congrats to Pete, Kevin, and everyone else working on this. But the next time somebody tries to use the excuse that they gained weight because they gained muscle, don't buy it.
So you are arguing that rocks don't weigh more than feathers because a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of rocks? Seriously?

And you are further suggesting that adding muscle doesn't add weight? Tell it to the bodybuilders, lol. I'm sure they'd be fascinated to hear this theory.

You should present these amazing theories of yours in an official way...especially the one about additional muscle not adding additional weight because muscle weighs nothing...or weighs the same as fat...or whatever theory you have.
__________________
Yes, your kids will have fun at Uni and Epcot!
ALWAYS pee before riding the monorail!
MNSSHP > MVMCP
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #12
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray
 
ToddyLu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Drop Off
Posts: 5,243



If you have 5 rocks that added together weigh one pound and you decided to balance them on a scale with feathers---you would maybe need 1, 000 feathers. So therefore a pound of rocks can equal a pound of feathers.

Now my head hurts, and I need a bagel.
__________________
DH Me kissing DH Trinity
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15, Fall 2016
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #13
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think
 
disneysteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 11,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligal View Post
So you are arguing that rocks don't weigh more than feathers because a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of rocks? Seriously?

And you are further suggesting that adding muscle doesn't add weight? Tell it to the bodybuilders, lol. I'm sure they'd be fascinated to hear this theory.
Perhaps I didn't explain it clearly enough. Try this. Google "muscle weighs more than fat" and read some explanations from other sources.

Here's a good one:
http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/weigh...more-than-fat/

As for bodybuilders, that's an entirely different conversation. I'm talking about weight loss, not weight gain. In order to build muscle, you need to have a caloric excess in your diet. Do that and work out and yes, you will build muscle and gain weight. If your goal, however, is weight loss, you need to have a caloric deficit.
__________________
Steve
32 WDW trips since 1978 - 8 onsite, 23 offsite, 1 split on/off ; 1 Disneyland trip in 2005 - offsite (Fairfield Inn)
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #14
Mike2023
DIS Veteran
 
Mike2023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,280

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve

Perhaps I didn't explain it clearly enough. Try this. Google "muscle weighs more than fat" and read some explanations from other sources.

Here's a good one:
http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/weigh...more-than-fat/

As for bodybuilders, that's an entirely different conversation. I'm talking about weight loss, not weight gain. In order to build muscle, you need to have a caloric excess in your diet. Do that and work out and yes, you will build muscle and gain weight. If your goal, however, is weight loss, you need to have a caloric deficit.
Great article, but does not change my point. There is one comment on the article that does sum up my point. I'll paste it bellow.





I understand why people disagree with the statement ‘muscle weighs more than fat’ but really, those people are either being deliberately objective or are incapable of making appropriate assumptions given conversational context.

Clearly, in the above statement, the person saying it is assuming that we are intelligent enough to know that they are referring to weight by volume. It speaks to a person's intelligence, if when they are confronted with that statement, they assume that they are talking about equal weights being different.

Also, the person didn't say "A pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat", so why did you make that assumption? You have intentionally made the wrong context assumption to be deliberately awkward.

In the same way; if I were to say "humans weigh more than pigeons". You wouldn't argue I was wrong because 200lbs of humans is the same as 200lbs of pigeons (or maybe you would).

The sentence isn't wrong, it is just incomplete because humans have the intelligence to fill in the gaps.
__________________
Check out my Disney Vacation Planning Tools HERE where you can get pdf files for your Phone / iPad / PC / Mac.


{1997 - July - CBR (First Trip)}{1999 - July - Off site}{2005 - June - Off site (Honeymoon)}{2006 - May - Off site (1 Year Anniversary)}
{2008 - April - AKL (3 Year Anniversary)}{2009 - May - AKL,POLY,POR (4 Year Anniversary/DD first Trip)}{2010 - Jan - BLT,AKV,POLY}
{2010 - Oct - BLT,BCV,AKL}{2011 - Aug - AKL}{2012 - Jun - PCC3.0,AKL,BCV}{2013 - May - AKL,DCL}{2013 - Oct - POP}{2014 - Mar - AOA,BLT,DCL}
{2015 - Feb - BWV (Daytonay500)}{2015 - Oct - Offsite,DCL,US (10th Anniversary)}

Last edited by Mike2023; 12-09-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Mike2023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #15
GAN
DIS Veteran
 
GAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder
Posts: 1,326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2023


One cubic inch of muscle versus one cubic inch of fat the muscle weighs more, therefore muscle weighs more then fat.
I think you should add "By Volume" -then you would be correct. I believe that is where the disconnect is over this issue.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: