Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #31
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

For those who have sailed on Oasis or Allure, what are things you pay for on those ships that are included on Disney (such as soda)?

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:10 AM   #32
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ
I'd rather play on the Magic or the Wonder.
This is me, too, and not just because of price. But in-laws are insisting on Western Caribbean for the big family vacation, so Fantasy it is. :P

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 06:14 AM   #33
TheHannas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2aredhead View Post
I am both happy and grateful that this is my biggest problem at the moment lol!
I am loving this last part as I sip my coffee this morning!! Just very well put

TheHannas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #34
mom2aredhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHannas

I am loving this last part as I sip my coffee this morning!! Just very well put
Thank you. I live in NY, very near one of the areas that was hit hard by Hurricane Sandy. We personally were fine, as were our immediate friends and family thankfully. But counting our blessings and being grateful has become a new pastime.

"Nobody on his deathbed ever said, "I wish I had spent more time at the office." - Paul Tsongas
mom2aredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #35
mom2aredhead
DIS Veteran

Sorry..double posted for some reason.

"Nobody on his deathbed ever said, "I wish I had spent more time at the office." - Paul Tsongas
mom2aredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #36
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGlowing View Post
For those who have sailed on Oasis or Allure, what are things you pay for on those ships that are included on Disney (such as soda)?
it's true that you pay for soda on RCI, while you get it for free at the soda dispensers on DCL.
However, my daughter - who initially wasn't going to buy the soda package on her Radiance of the Seas cruise - realized that she actually likes it better on RCI because the soda package permits you to order a soft drink in every bar - something that isn't true on DCL.
So no matter where she was on the Radiance, she could order her free soft drink. She found that to be really convenient and she preferred it.

as for other things - you can bring your own liquor on board DCL, you can't do that on RCI.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #37
Dogsambam
Mouseketeer

I am a Diamond with RCCL. We did the Allure last year and are about to do our first Disney ship on the Wonder. I am going in with no expectations. I hear amazing things about Disney and am very excited, but I so have to say there is nothing like the Oasis/Allure. They have things that just don't exist anywhere! While we frequent RCCL and Celebrity, the service, and food are always spotty, but on Allure, everything was consistently perfect. Everyone we know that has sailed on these two ships only get off with the most positive reviews. I thought the most amazing thing were the fact on a sold out sailing with 6000 passengers, the only crowd we ever saw was I. The royal promanade during a parade. Always room in pools and always deck chairs to be found.

With a 3 and 7 year old, we felt it is the perfect time for Disney Cruise. Again we only hear the best things about Disney, so I hope it hold up to its buzz. My 3 year old is obsessed with Mickey and this will be a total surprise to both kids. The only issue is, I just had a work commitment come up and our Christmas cruise may get pushed to spring.
Dogsambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #38
buzzlightyear
Earning My Ears

We just went on the Allure in November and loved it. My kids are girls 16 & 14 and a 9 year old boy. We have done the Oasis as well as Freedom. While the kids loved RCC we are looking to book Dream for our next cruise. There is so much to do on the Allure/Oasis and the kids loved the boardwalk area, flowrider and ice skating. With that being said my girls are the ones pushing for DCL. They think the teen area is better on Disney. I believe the pools are better on RCC and while they are crowded, I feel it is not as crowded as Disney. The cost difference is what made me originally switch over to RCC, but you do still end up paying more. We did purchase the soda package. Food is good on both. We did not feel the need to do the specialty restaurants as the menu in main dining rooms was good.
We will most likely switch and do DCL this year because we have done the RCC for past 4 years and want to change it up a bit. But will definately do Oasis/Allure again!!
buzzlightyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #39
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
it's true that you pay for soda on RCI, while you get it for free at the soda dispensers on DCL.
However, my daughter - who initially wasn't going to buy the soda package on her Radiance of the Seas cruise - realized that she actually likes it better on RCI because the soda package permits you to order a soft drink in every bar - something that isn't true on DCL.
So no matter where she was on the Radiance, she could order her free soft drink. She found that to be really convenient and she preferred it.

as for other things - you can bring your own liquor on board DCL, you can't do that on RCI.

correction - RCI just changed its policy as of this week - you can now bring wine on board with you....i just saw the posts on cruise critic about the change in policy..
Old 12-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #40
KingRichard
DIS Veteran

Could someone comment or confirm that the kids clubs on RCCL close at lunch and dinner times and charge a fee for after 9-10pm.

I thought I read this somewhere and could make a big difference in your cost and enjoyment of your cruise(if you have kids)?

I know my DD just loves those clubs and would spend the whole cruise in there if we let her.

On the Hawaii they did a sleep over(her first night away from us) and she loved it and so did we!

GRAND SLAM COMPLETE! Feb. 11 Dream, April 12 Wonder(Hawaii), Feb. 13 Fantasy, Feb. 14 Magic, June 14 Wonder(Alaska) 36 NOB
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #41
Disney 24/7
Mouseketeer

I went on the Allure this summer. They charge $6 hour per kid after 10pm. They are closed between 5-7 for dinner. The hours are always changing.
Disney 24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #42
ddixon1
Mouseketeer

Yes the kids programs do close for lunch and dinner, or you can pay for lunch, dinner, and/or extra hours (eg., after 10pm) when available. It felt quite disjointed as a result. My DS7 sailed on the EOTS when he was 4, the Oasis when he was 6, and the Magic this past summer (I know, what a blessed life, LOL). He preferred Disney (hands down), and he doesn't even like seeing any characters (I had to beg him to take photos with Mickey and Donald). He said that the kids programs on RCL felt "too much like school." Not sure I understand, but he wants to sail DCL only, for the time being... I loved the Oasis, especially as my husband and I are quite active -- the running track on the Oasis is amazing (0.5 miles per loop). I love the ice skating and roller blading (Explorer), and the zip lining and rock climbing wall. And my favorite eatery is the Park Cafe on the Oasis (no up charge). I tend not to eat red meat, but the roast beef sandwiches were omg incredible, as were the made to order salads. I don't drink soda, so that's not a big deal for me. I did love the classic beauty of the Magic. Good luck.
Disney Half Marathon (POR), January 2000; Explorer of the Seas, July 2009; Oasis of the Seas, May 2011; Magic 2-night getaway from NYC, July 2012; Magic 5-night Canadian from NYC, August 2012; Animal Kingdom Lodge, January 2013; Dream 4-night to Bahamas, January 2013; Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo Studio), August 2013, December 2013

Last edited by ddixon1; 12-09-2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Typos
ddixon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #43
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfaber View Post
We are Disney people through and through! We've done the Wonder, Magic, and Dream and were anxious to complete our Disney crusing experience with the Fantasy. I have the end of May 2014 on hold, but can do the RC Oasis or Allure for over $2000 cheaper the same week!!! Would we regret it? What would we miss that we were used to on a Disney ship? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
We, too, wanted to complete the four with a sailing on the Fantasy in 2014. But not only is the price prohibitive, but the itineraries are 'been there, done that" more than once! If I could save $2,000 on a different ship, I'd go for it in a heartbeat. That is airfare and cruise expenses!

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama; Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean; Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean;
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic 14-night Panama Canal; Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder 10 night Southern Caribbean; Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 14-night Transatlantic; Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal; Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West; May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton

January 2016 -- Wonder 7-night Southern Caribbean out of San Juan; February 2016 -- Wonder 5-night Repo from San Juan to Miami
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #44
KingRichard
DIS Veteran

Looking at May 2014 prices for the 3 of us for a outside veranda of same size(DCL is a little bigger) I only see a $200-400 price difference?

$200-400 DCl gets my pic for sure!

The veranda's on DCL are only $300 more then a inside! Seems strange to pick a inside that is 50% smaller and no veranda for around $300?

GRAND SLAM COMPLETE! Feb. 11 Dream, April 12 Wonder(Hawaii), Feb. 13 Fantasy, Feb. 14 Magic, June 14 Wonder(Alaska) 36 NOB
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #45
airheademmy
Earning My Ears

I have been on both the Allure and the Oasis. They are both incredible. Totally worth it! You will have no regrets!
airheademmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: