Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #16
APB513
Wishing I was back in my Laughing Place
 
APB513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Posts: 2,168

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniH View Post
I hate this kind of winter but I am hoping it stays like this until we get back I grew up in Ypsi! Small World!
I agree with you and I hope this weather continues until we return.

If by "this kind of winter" you mean a winter without snow - I'm the opposite - I love it

I was born in CA and lived there until we moved to Detroit when I was 12. I have been in MI for over 30 years and I still have not adjusted to the winters

And you're right - it is a small world after all

Have a fun and safe trip!
__________________
1970-1980 many trips to DL, 5/1986 (offsite - MK), 12/2001 (offsite & MVMCP), 12/2002 (DLR & Paradise Pier), 9/2006 (Pop & MNSSHP, Disney Magic, AKL ), 11/2007 (Pop & MNSSHP), 12/2007 (DTD & MVMCP), 8/2008 (Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, Pop & Windsor Hills), 5/2009 (Bday Solo Trip - POFQ), 12/2009 (Loew's Portofino Bay & Pop w/FD), 8/2011 (Pop w/FD, Disney Dream & Loew's Portofino Bay), 5/2012 Disney's Travel Agent EP, Bday & Mother's Day AND Kyle starts DCP! - CSR & Contemporary, 12/2012 All Star Sports and Loew's Hard Rock Hotel, 1/2013 DLR - Disney's Travel Agent EP - Paradise Pier and Disneyland Hotel, 10/2013 Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, ASMo, Pop and CSR & MNSSHP - Homebased Travel Agent Forum, 12/2014 - All Star Sports & MVMCP

Angela

Memberships: D23, Mickey Moms Club and WDW Commando Club (member #113)
APB513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #17
MrMarv
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 843

Atlanta is 450+ miles from Cincinnati, so you cannot cover that distance in five hours.

If you leave Cincy at 10 PM, plan to reach the outskirts of Atlanta around 5 AM or thereabouts.
MrMarv is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #18
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran
 
LadyBeBop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Kentucky, right outside Cincinnati
Posts: 1,530

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarv
Atlanta is 450+ miles from Cincinnati, so you cannot cover that distance in five hours.
.
He's right. Although I have a sister who wishes it was only five hours to Atlanta. She has children and grandchildren living down there.

Realistically, it's three hours to the Tennessee border, four hours to Knoxville, 5 1/2 hours to Chattanooga, and eight hours to Atlanta.
__________________
Next trip: When my next grandchild turns five. Probably around the turn of the next decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
LadyBeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #19
Aatif911
Mouseketeer
 
Aatif911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 275

The Drive from MI to FL

I personally like driving all the way through.
We made two road trip last year from the Ann Arbor to Lake Buena Vista.

The first road trip was in April. We left at 5:00pm Friday. By 5:00am Saturday we were in GA. We got to CSR by 3:00pm on Saturday.
We took multiple potty breaks and ate Dinner, Breakfast and Lunch.

The second time in September we left at 11:00pm Wednesday night and reached Disney by 6pm Thursday.

My wife drove for 2 hours so I could take a quick nap.
__________________
Me DM DD6 DD3
Past Trips
12/88 Disneyland, 02/02 Disneyland, 02/08 OKWR, 04/12 CSR, 09/12 POR, 05/13 POFQ, 05/14 WL

Upcoming Trip/s
12/14 CSR, 05/15 POFQ, and 10/15 POR
Aatif911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #20
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac
 
stargazertechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,988

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniH View Post
Hi Everyone, Just wondering if any fellow Michiganders have any tips for first time drivers to Orlando. My husband & I are planning on driving straight through from Saturday to Sunday in December.
Time it to avoid rush hour in Atlanta. We drive from the West side of the state, but we take 75 down.

I second the advice to watch your speed in Ohio.
__________________
14 Trips total including POFQ, ASMU, CBR, AKL, WL, POP, and a trip to Disneyland!

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #21
APB513
Wishing I was back in my Laughing Place
 
APB513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Posts: 2,168

I forgot to post the results of our first drive from Ypsilanti to Orlando.

We had snow from the time we left Ypsi until we reached Kentucky. We saw two jack knifed semis. Kind of scary

I drove the entire way down. We stopped for the night in Atlanta and then continue to Orlando the next morning.

Here are our times:

12/21/12
5:21 am - left Ypsilanti
5:58 am - Ohio border
10:15 am - Kentucky border
1:26 pm - Tennessee border
3:56 pm - Georgia border
* I forgot to write down the time we reached the hotel

12/22/12
5:42 am - left Atlanta
10:15 am - Florida border
2:45 pm - Hilton hotel in DTD

We left WDW and stayed two nights at Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort. The resort is beautiful!! I would love to go back when its warmer.

We drove straight through from SC to Ypsilanti. We left about 5:00 am and got home around 9:00 pm. (I don't have the exact times. I was sick so I didn't write anything down)

The trip was great!!! The drive down wasn't bad at all. I could definitely see myself doing it again.
__________________
1970-1980 many trips to DL, 5/1986 (offsite - MK), 12/2001 (offsite & MVMCP), 12/2002 (DLR & Paradise Pier), 9/2006 (Pop & MNSSHP, Disney Magic, AKL ), 11/2007 (Pop & MNSSHP), 12/2007 (DTD & MVMCP), 8/2008 (Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, Pop & Windsor Hills), 5/2009 (Bday Solo Trip - POFQ), 12/2009 (Loew's Portofino Bay & Pop w/FD), 8/2011 (Pop w/FD, Disney Dream & Loew's Portofino Bay), 5/2012 Disney's Travel Agent EP, Bday & Mother's Day AND Kyle starts DCP! - CSR & Contemporary, 12/2012 All Star Sports and Loew's Hard Rock Hotel, 1/2013 DLR - Disney's Travel Agent EP - Paradise Pier and Disneyland Hotel, 10/2013 Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, ASMo, Pop and CSR & MNSSHP - Homebased Travel Agent Forum, 12/2014 - All Star Sports & MVMCP

Angela

Memberships: D23, Mickey Moms Club and WDW Commando Club (member #113)
APB513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #22
Poohs Pal
DIS Veteran
Beautiful and smart so she says
 
Poohs Pal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,990

Thats great time especially in the winter. Susan
Poohs Pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #23
Mom2aJessieGirl
DIS Veteran
 
Mom2aJessieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 673

Quote:
Originally Posted by APB513 View Post
I forgot to post the results of our first drive from Ypsilanti to Orlando.

We had snow from the time we left Ypsi until we reached Kentucky. We saw two jack knifed semis. Kind of scary

I drove the entire way down. We stopped for the night in Atlanta and then continue to Orlando the next morning.

Here are our times:

12/21/12
5:21 am - left Ypsilanti
5:58 am - Ohio border
10:15 am - Kentucky border
1:26 pm - Tennessee border
3:56 pm - Georgia border
* I forgot to write down the time we reached the hotel

12/22/12
5:42 am - left Atlanta
10:15 am - Florida border
2:45 pm - Hilton hotel in DTD

We left WDW and stayed two nights at Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort. The resort is beautiful!! I would love to go back when its warmer.

We drove straight through from SC to Ypsilanti. We left about 5:00 am and got home around 9:00 pm. (I don't have the exact times. I was sick so I didn't write anything down)

The trip was great!!! The drive down wasn't bad at all. I could definitely see myself doing it again.

I'm in Ypsi too...and I can't imagine driving to WDW! I've driven to the Alabama Gulf Coast and I drive to Arkansas...but I'm always so tired when I leave WDW. I can't imagine driving back! We are flying down tomorrow!
__________________
WDW (Dolphin/FW) February 2014; WDW (POP) March 2013 (F&G);WDW (ASsp) January 2013;WDW (POFQ/FW) May 2012 (SWW); WDW (FW) February 2012; WDW (POFQ) November-December 2011 (MVMCP); WDW (POFQ/FW) February 2011; DLR (GCH) August 2010; WDW (WL) Spring 2002; WDW (WL) August 1997; WDW (WL) July 1994; DLR (DLH) Mid 90's; WDW July-August 1991; WDW March 1989; And a couple more for good measure!
Mom2aJessieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #24
APB513
Wishing I was back in my Laughing Place
 
APB513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Posts: 2,168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2aJessieGirl View Post
I'm in Ypsi too...and I can't imagine driving to WDW! I've driven to the Alabama Gulf Coast and I drive to Arkansas...but I'm always so tired when I leave WDW. I can't imagine driving back! We are flying down tomorrow!
Wow! What a small world

It's hard to say whether or not I would normally be too tired to drive back. I got sick about 5 days into the trip. By the time we left SC I was sick as a dog. Plus I hadn't been sleeping very well the last few days of the trip.

I drove for about 3 hours until I couldn't do it anymore. My oldest son took over.

The reason we spent two days in SC was so we could rest and unwind from the trip before we drove home. This might have worked if I hadn't been sick

Have fun on your trip!!!
__________________
1970-1980 many trips to DL, 5/1986 (offsite - MK), 12/2001 (offsite & MVMCP), 12/2002 (DLR & Paradise Pier), 9/2006 (Pop & MNSSHP, Disney Magic, AKL ), 11/2007 (Pop & MNSSHP), 12/2007 (DTD & MVMCP), 8/2008 (Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, Pop & Windsor Hills), 5/2009 (Bday Solo Trip - POFQ), 12/2009 (Loew's Portofino Bay & Pop w/FD), 8/2011 (Pop w/FD, Disney Dream & Loew's Portofino Bay), 5/2012 Disney's Travel Agent EP, Bday & Mother's Day AND Kyle starts DCP! - CSR & Contemporary, 12/2012 All Star Sports and Loew's Hard Rock Hotel, 1/2013 DLR - Disney's Travel Agent EP - Paradise Pier and Disneyland Hotel, 10/2013 Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, ASMo, Pop and CSR & MNSSHP - Homebased Travel Agent Forum, 12/2014 - All Star Sports & MVMCP

Angela

Memberships: D23, Mickey Moms Club and WDW Commando Club (member #113)
APB513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #25
APB513
Wishing I was back in my Laughing Place
 
APB513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Posts: 2,168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohs Pal View Post
Thats great time especially in the winter. Susan
Yes that's what I was thinking. I was very happy once it stopped snowing.

We were supposed to leave Saturday but I got nervous because I kept hearing that there would be more people on the road than the year before. So we ended up leaving on Friday instead.

All in all it was a good experience. I would do it again.
__________________
1970-1980 many trips to DL, 5/1986 (offsite - MK), 12/2001 (offsite & MVMCP), 12/2002 (DLR & Paradise Pier), 9/2006 (Pop & MNSSHP, Disney Magic, AKL ), 11/2007 (Pop & MNSSHP), 12/2007 (DTD & MVMCP), 8/2008 (Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, Pop & Windsor Hills), 5/2009 (Bday Solo Trip - POFQ), 12/2009 (Loew's Portofino Bay & Pop w/FD), 8/2011 (Pop w/FD, Disney Dream & Loew's Portofino Bay), 5/2012 Disney's Travel Agent EP, Bday & Mother's Day AND Kyle starts DCP! - CSR & Contemporary, 12/2012 All Star Sports and Loew's Hard Rock Hotel, 1/2013 DLR - Disney's Travel Agent EP - Paradise Pier and Disneyland Hotel, 10/2013 Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, ASMo, Pop and CSR & MNSSHP - Homebased Travel Agent Forum, 12/2014 - All Star Sports & MVMCP

Angela

Memberships: D23, Mickey Moms Club and WDW Commando Club (member #113)
APB513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #26
auger
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 772

I always have to make my recommendation to people in your situation.
We drive from NW Ohio to WDW for most of our trips. Flying on points next times with SW.

Anyway, we used to do the whole drive thru the night thing. But when I started having to make the trip on my own with the kids, I found it was much easier and much less of a drain to my body if I left in the dark hours of the morning and arrived late.

For us, that equates to leaving between 5-7am and arriving between 10-12pm, as it is about a 17 hour trip from here. I know you have a bit longer than that, but it would still be doable.

Ever since my bil and sil had an accident falling asleep at the wheel while trying to drive thru the night, we always try to steer people away from that course.
They were fortunate to survive, as they ran up a wall barricade and the car was left riding on two tires and crossed the other two lanes of traffic before it fell back onto all four tires rather than flipping.

If you do choose to drive thru the night, please be careful.
auger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #27
Poohs Pal
DIS Veteran
Beautiful and smart so she says
 
Poohs Pal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,990

Quote:
Originally Posted by auger View Post
I always have to make my recommendation to people in your situation.
We drive from NW Ohio to WDW for most of our trips. Flying on points next times with SW.

Anyway, we used to do the whole drive thru the night thing. But when I started having to make the trip on my own with the kids, I found it was much easier and much less of a drain to my body if I left in the dark hours of the morning and arrived late.

For us, that equates to leaving between 5-7am and arriving between 10-12pm, as it is about a 17 hour trip from here. I know you have a bit longer than that, but it would still be doable.

Ever since my bil and sil had an accident falling asleep at the wheel while trying to drive thru the night, we always try to steer people away from that course.
They were fortunate to survive, as they ran up a wall barricade and the car was left riding on two tires and crossed the other two lanes of traffic before it fell back onto all four tires rather than flipping.

If you do choose to drive thru the night, please be careful.
I completly agree with you. I think people should think twice before driving straight thru the night from Michigan. I know I have to always stop somewhere in Georgia for the night. I always feel driving straight thru ends of feeling like jet lag and I myself would need a day to recover,lol. so might as well stop for the night on the way down and arrive feeling full of energy.
Poohs Pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.