Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
pelagoram
Earning My Ears

Food poisoning in the park?

Anyone else get food poisoning from the hot chocolate in the park last night? (Friday, December 8)

Have a nasty case of food poisoning in our party - hot chocolate from the churro stand in front of the castle is the common thread.
pelagoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
lizabu
DIS Veteran

You should call any place you got food poisoning as soon as possible. They are required to report it to the health board. The most important thing is if you have an idea what time you were there and what you consumed it can be tested. You will also prevent it being served to someone else. You could prevent other people from getting sick. Most times what people think is food poisoning actually isn't but to be safe it's best to report any possible cases.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Isn't Disney's hot chocolate just powder in water?

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
jory29
DIS Veteran

Location: Sadly, too, too far away from DL. :( We still try to get there annually though. ;)

How many in your party fell ill from drinking it? It seems like an odd thing to get good poisoning from as the temp. of the hot chocolate would generally probably be hot enough to kill off bacteria assuming it came from a machine, but I don't know... was there anything else in common you and your party had eaten/drank the day or so before? I hope you get better soon!!
Old 12-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
MrsMears
Mouseketeer

Hmm... you've posted in several Disneyland forums about this.

Premium AP holders!
DLR visits
UPcoming:

2014: Beginning of March, 4 days
Past Disneyland visits:
2013: 6 days
2012: 48 Days
1988: Grad Night
1986: May
1973-1980: Monthly+
Past WDW visits:
July - August 1977
MrsMears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
theluckyrabbit
DIS Veteran

Sorry this happened to you. Agree with lizabu, though, that what most people think of as food poisoning usually is something else. Is it possible that one of your group unknowingly had a stomach bug and gave it to everyone else? (Which is still a yucky experience, but not Disney's fault.)
theluckyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
disneegrl4eva
now we just need a secret handshake or sign...
...because I'm special like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckyrabbit
Sorry this happened to you. Agree with lizabu, though, that what most people think of as food poisoning usually is something else. Is it possible that one of your group unknowingly had a stomach bug and gave it to everyone else? (Which is still a yucky experience, but not Disney's fault.)
Yeah I have to agree with this I have never in my entire life heard of someone getting food poisoning from hot cocoa especially when the hot cocoa is Nestlé which is a powder form and yes they do mix it with just water... It has to be something else and I do think it may have been a stomach bug but even if it wasn't I doubt seriously it was the hot chocolate

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 12-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
Kilala
Mouseketeer

Thier Hot Chocolate is horrable. I have has some and I had to add alot of sugar. I'm so sorry you got sick from it
Old 12-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

Actually, just last month Nestle' recalled their chocolate powder. I don't know if this is what Disney uses, but it is a possibility.

http://southcobb.patch.com/articles/...owder-19c6b083

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:03 AM   #10
disneegrl4eva
now we just need a secret handshake or sign...
...because I'm special like that

Wow I am surprised to hear that however just to be clear it was nesquick which is the cold drink ....they don't use nesquick for hot chocolate... They use the hot chocolate mix

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 12-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #11
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrrx View Post
Actually, just last month Nestle' recalled their chocolate powder. I don't know if this is what Disney uses, but it is a possibility.

http://southcobb.patch.com/articles/...owder-19c6b083
Ooh, interesting. Though they do say "No other varieties of NESQUIK powder or any sizes or flavors of NESQUIK ready-to-drink are affected by this recall." And I bet any given kiosk would use a container that holds more than 40 oz.

Ah, good to know, disneegrl4eva. I thought so (I was sort of thinking "if ONLY they used Nesquick, that stuff is borderline good, not like the awful hot chocolate I've had at Disney") but haven't had it in ages.

I think that if I ever thought we'd gotten food poisoning, I would go to an ER and have things collected and tested. Just to make sure.

Then again, twice now MIL has been hospitalized (for almost a week each time) for what we really felt was food poisoning (from her own fridge...she keeps things in there for AGES), but the tests always came back inconclusive, or for really common things.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:08 AM   #12
pelagoram
Earning My Ears

Hmm... Yes I did post this on one other "Disneyland forum," if that's what you mean by "several." Is that somehow a problem around these parts?

Not sure about the powder and water recipe. Seemed like it had milk or cream in the mix too, but I'm by no means a connoisseur. Actually tasted pretty good to our unrefined palates.

In any case, yeah - I agree, Jory, hot chocolate seems like it'd be a strange source for food poisoning. Just found it a bit odd that the 3 members of our group who got sick were the only ones who drank the hot chocolate, and all got sick within a few hours of drinking it. Everyone else is healthy - the hot chocolate was the only commonality that existed among the sickies vs the non-sickies.

Probably just a case of correlation, not (necessarily) causation.
pelagoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #13
Somegirl
Mouseketeer

You can get stomach viruses that are very much like food poisoning from people that handle food. The person that handled the cups may have passed something on that got your group sick. It's no fun getting sick on vacation.
Somegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #14
elstoleno
Mouseketeer

I'm not 100% on where you're from, or the standards in the US but I know that here in Europe we're not supposed to drink non branded/bottled water or consume ice cream for example in another European country as it can make us sick (something to do with chlorine amounts maybe?).

Not sure if its like that state to state in the US, but if it is, that could be how you all felt sick.

2004 - DLP Daytrip AUG 2006 - Cheyenne AUG 2007 - Santa Fe AUG 2010 - Cheyenne AUG 2011 - Santa Fe DEC 2011 - Cheyenne
AUG 2012 - Santa Fe AUG 2013 - Fairfield Inn, Anaheim SEPT 2014 - All Star Sports Resort FEB 2015 - Cheyenne
elstoleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #15
lizabu
DIS Veteran

If it was food poisoning it was more likely cross contanimation than the actual hot chocolate so it's always possible.

Drinking water In US, Canada and most European countries won't make you sick. There are other countries that don't have the water purification methods we have. If you go somewhere like Egypt for example. I went there once an even being very careful I was sick as heck.

It can be really hard to tell the difference between a stomach bug and food poisoning. The symptoms are pretty much the same.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: