Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
EllenFrasier
DIS Veteran

How do you give a bike at Christmas?

My son is going to be 14 right before Christmas. I know he does not believe anymore, but I want to surprise him just the same. How does one go about putting a bike under the tree? We have given our kids bikes before, but never as a Christmas gift. We usually buy used bikes as they need them - but this one is brand new from the store. He's getting other gifts - this is not the only thing, but I still want to surprise him.
EllenFrasier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
hidmickey:myantidrug
DIS Veteran

I got a bike twice for Christmas, once from Santa when I was around seven or eight and once from 'Santa' when I was an older teen. For the younger one, it was left unwrapped and out together under the tree. When I was older, I got a small box with a hand-drawn picture of a bike that was so bad I had to ask what it was. The actual bike was being held at my grandparents' house. If you're going for ease, the picture is definitely the way to do it. If you're looking for a dramatic Christmas moment, I'd try to get the bike under the tree. If you didn't want it exposed, you could try to wrap it somehow or toss a couple garbage bags around it, although the shape may still show through.

Now if you're just asking logistically how to get it gracefully under the tree, I'd say to just wheel it in and pray you don't have a kayak situation a la The Santa Clause.
hidmickey:myantidrug is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenFrasier View Post
My son is going to be 14 right before Christmas. I know he does not believe anymore, but I want to surprise him just the same. How does one go about putting a bike under the tree? We have given our kids bikes before, but never as a Christmas gift. We usually buy used bikes as they need them - but this one is brand new from the store. He's getting other gifts - this is not the only thing, but I still want to surprise him.
We are getting DD a new bike. It is paid for and the bike shop is holding it until Christmas eve.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
Tralliam
Mouseketeer

I Remember my sister getting a bike. Instead a of a picture of a bike in a box, she was sent on a scavenger hunt. This allowed my Dad to roll the bike from the porch under the tree while she was hunting from room to room for the next clue
Tralliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

My mom took me outside in the morning and told Me to hop on
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

We wrapped up a scrapbook sticker of a bike.

For a phone, we programmed the ringtone tone to say her name, "you have a phone call. Name,"someone wants to talk to you" and hd the phone. We called it so it was start the ring tone.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
Nolcrest
DIS Veteran

When I was at Walmart today I saw a bike bag for wrapping. It was big enough to fit a 26" bike.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

For our kids, we'd picked up the bike from the store on Christmas eve -- our next door neighbor let us put it on her porch. We brought it in after the kids had gone to bed. I just put a big red bow on it and left it unwrapped.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:10 AM   #9
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralliam View Post
I Remember my sister getting a bike. Instead a of a picture of a bike in a box, she was sent on a scavenger hunt. This allowed my Dad to roll the bike from the porch under the tree while she was hunting from room to room for the next clue
I did that for my little brother when I was about 14. I wrapped a box with a clue in it which led to another clue, which led to another clue, etc. In a little while I heard him yelling and screaming, running down the hallway with his brand new metal detector!

Unfortunately, I had put one of the clues under my parents' bed - which is where they had hidden one of his presents from Santa - a metal detector...
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:45 AM   #10
kaligal
DIS Veteran

We didn't give them bikes at Christmas. We got them new bikes as needed, in the Spring.

I received a bike for Christmas twice as a kid. It was just set up in the family room, by the stockings, in front of the fireplace. Like most dads, mine spent Christmas Eve staying up until the wee hours, putting our crap together. To dads, being dead-tired on Christmas morning is just part of the deal.

God bless the dads.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:32 AM   #11
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralliam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseshowmom View Post
I did that for my little brother when I was about 14. I wrapped a box with a clue in it which led to another clue, which led to another clue, etc. In a little while I heard him yelling and screaming, running down the hallway with his brand new metal detector!

Unfortunately, I had put one of the clues under my parents' bed - which is where they had hidden one of his presents from Santa - a metal detector...
This is how my parents did it as well. One clue led to another, which led back to the livingroom where the bike was now waiting. Made for a very exciting Christmas morning!

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:07 AM   #12
formill
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolcrest View Post
When I was at Walmart today I saw a bike bag for wrapping. It was big enough to fit a 26" bike.
Our dollar store has these too and that is what we used. It was perfect.
formill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #13
roliepolieoliefan
DIS Veteran

We all got new bikes last year for Christmas( kids and me) . My husband put the kids and my bike together on Christmas Eve after the kids went to bed (13 and 8) and they were under the tree with a big bow on them when the kids woke up.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #14
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

All of our gifts are from Santa, Santa doesn't wrap, so bikes just go by the tree with the rest of the presents. No bikes this year, but the electric scooter will just be with the rest of the gifts. We've done bikes many times. We only get bike store bikes (new for gifts, used when needed), so they're already put together.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #15
amid chaos
DIS Veteran

Oh, I'd have fun with this one.

I'd individually wrap a pink plastic horn or bike bell, those streamers that go in the handlebars...pink and glittery, of course. Maybe a cheap pink helmet...anything cheesy and girly. maybe the last one could be bike computer which measures speed and distance. See if he figures it out...if he does, then he can go find his bike somewhere in the house...maybe the bathtub or somewhere fun.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: