DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
carlbarry
DIS Veteran
 
carlbarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: On Long Island, New York.
Posts: 1,419

Check In Nightmare

Just returned from a wonderful stay at Jambo. But check in was a nightmare:
I had requested a savanna view studio near the lobby, like I had last time.
When I arrived, the room was ready at 10:30 am. Great! But NOT near the lobby. It was in the last bead, almost near the end. I realize that requests are not guraranteed, but getting just the opposite, sheesh.
When I got to the room, I realized that with my meniscus surgery on my knee, it would be a problem. So I went back dragging my luggage to the lobby.
I was told instantly that they had another, closer room--and housekeeping was working on it now, so it should be ready soon and I'd be texted! Great!!!
Never receiving a text, I called at 1.5 hours: room not ready. Two hours and 40 minutes later I went back to the front desk and asked what happened.
A supervisor went to check. Not a minute later I got a text that the room was ready. Hmmmm.
So I drag the luggage up to the room. The key doesn't work! I call the front desk, where I tell them. I'm told they'll send someone up, and they put me on hold. A passing CM let me in.
I leave the room, come back in an hour. The key still doesn't work. I call the front desk. They send up 2 people. They let me in, and one asks me if I intend to leave the room. Ah, yes, I expect to leave the room during the week.
I'm told if I want to leave the room, upon return I should go to the front desk and they'll send someone up to let me in. They'll also send someone to fix the lock; if it can't be fixed, I might have to move again.
Luckily, the lock was fixed later that afternoon.
Not a pleasant way to start a vacation.
__________________

carlbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #2
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 47,258

I'm glad your stay worked out fine. I hope your knee is healing nicely.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
Arthur27
Go Gators!
 
Arthur27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Clermont Florida
Posts: 295

Sorry about your knee and hope you are doing well with it. I must say though this isn't what I would consider a check in nightmare. A hassle? Sure, but not a nightmare. To me a nightmare would be getting and upon check-in they tell you that you have no reservations!
__________________


Me The hot wife Chris Dino
Arthur27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
dvcterry
DIS Veteran
 
dvcterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,641

Sorry to hear about your knee. Didn't they show you on the map at check-in where your room would be located before you had to walk all the way down the first time? Sometimes they circle the room. Just thinking because it may have saved you the effort in the beginning. Anyway, glad it worked out for you. Have enjoy the rest of your trip.
__________________
Terry
dvcterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
carlbarry
DIS Veteran
 
carlbarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: On Long Island, New York.
Posts: 1,419

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcterry View Post
Sorry to hear about your knee. Didn't they show you on the map at check-in where your room would be located before you had to walk all the way down the first time? Sometimes they circle the room. Just thinking because it may have saved you the effort in the beginning. Anyway, glad it worked out for you. Have enjoy the rest of your trip.
Yes, they did. But it doesn't look so long on the map LOL. Once I got there, I realized it was a problem.
As for it not being a nightmare, yes, I guess nightmare is an exageration. Especially since at home a few weeks before I had 5 feet of water in my basement, a destroyed car, no heat, hot water, or electricity!
Which is why I was kind of hoping for a stress-free Disney respite.
__________________

carlbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
dvcterry
DIS Veteran
 
dvcterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,641

I'm sure it everything will be fine. WDW has a way of healing. Hopefully you can rest and enjoy yourself now after all you have been through.
__________________
Terry
dvcterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us
 
bobbiwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington Township OH and Cape May NJ
Posts: 61,537

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbarry View Post
Yes, they did. But it doesn't look so long on the map LOL. Once I got there, I realized it was a problem.
As for it not being a nightmare, yes, I guess nightmare is an exageration. Especially since at home a few weeks before I had 5 feet of water in my basement, a destroyed car, no heat, hot water, or electricity!
Which is why I was kind of hoping for a stress-free Disney respite.
I think that explains a lot.
__________________
bobbiwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
carlbarry
DIS Veteran
 
carlbarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: On Long Island, New York.
Posts: 1,419

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcterry View Post
I'm sure it everything will be fine. WDW has a way of healing. Hopefully you can rest and enjoy yourself now after all you have been through.
Oh, it was a great stay. Happiest place on Earth, no doubt aout that!
__________________

carlbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia
 
Simba's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Harlingen, TX, USA
Posts: 25,149

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbarry View Post
Just returned from a wonderful stay at Jambo. But check in was a nightmare:
I had requested a savanna view studio near the lobby, like I had last time.
When I arrived, the room was ready at 10:30 am. Great! But NOT near the lobby. It was in the last bead, almost near the end. I realize that requests are not guraranteed, but getting just the opposite, sheesh.
When I got to the room, I realized that with my meniscus surgery on my knee, it would be a problem. So I went back dragging my luggage to the lobby.
I was told instantly that they had another, closer room--and housekeeping was working on it now, so it should be ready soon and I'd be texted! Great!!!
Never receiving a text, I called at 1.5 hours: room not ready. Two hours and 40 minutes later I went back to the front desk and asked what happened.
A supervisor went to check. Not a minute later I got a text that the room was ready. Hmmmm.
So I drag the luggage up to the room. The key doesn't work! I call the front desk, where I tell them. I'm told they'll send someone up, and they put me on hold. A passing CM let me in.
I leave the room, come back in an hour. The key still doesn't work. I call the front desk. They send up 2 people. They let me in, and one asks me if I intend to leave the room. Ah, yes, I expect to leave the room during the week.
I'm told if I want to leave the room, upon return I should go to the front desk and they'll send someone up to let me in. They'll also send someone to fix the lock; if it can't be fixed, I might have to move again.
Luckily, the lock was fixed later that afternoon.
Not a pleasant way to start a vacation.
I've had really bad luck with being close to the elevator or lobby at Jambo. On my last stay the CM at the front desk noted :Since you asked for 'close to an elevator', your room isn't ready. We could give you another room that is ready, but it's not nearly as close, so I'd recommend waiting." Well, at 4:30, when my room was finally ready and I went up, it was 2 beads away from an elevator that went to the back end of the lobby. I couldn't help but wonder-if this is the closer one, where was the other one! Maybe "close to lobby or elevator" translates to "to haycks and back, because that's how it felt. I've found Jambo to be really bad meeting requests for me!
__________________
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
carlbarry
DIS Veteran
 
carlbarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: On Long Island, New York.
Posts: 1,419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
I've had really bad luck with being close to the elevator or lobby at Jambo. On my last stay the CM at the front desk noted :Since you asked for 'close to an elevator', your room isn't ready. We could give you another room that is ready, but it's not nearly as close, so I'd recommend waiting." Well, at 4:30, when my room was finally ready and I went up, it was 2 beads away from an elevator that went to the back end of the lobby. I couldn't help but wonder-if this is the closer one, where was the other one! Maybe "close to lobby or elevator" translates to "to haycks and back, because that's how it felt. I've found Jambo to be really bad meeting requests for me!
The first time I went, as a new DVC owner, I requested "near the lobby," and couldn't have been happier. The room was about 3 doors down from the laundry room. Funny thing was, when checked in, he CM said it has a great view, but is not near the lobby. She then directed me to the elevators that took me way away from the room, which I didn't know.
This time I was in room 5435, which was 6 doors down from my previous stay.
__________________

carlbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,328

Our home resort is AKV and I've noticed that their Cms while friendly are not efficient at all. I've never had a hassle free front desk experience at Jambo. My last stay was last week and they told me my ressie was cancelled (not true). They also messed a variety of other things (like telling me at 2am to prepare to change rooms at 7am). They also told me they couldnt refund a dining charge to my CC when the restaurant incorrectly forgot to deduct a dining credit (also not true). Room location requests not met, etc. I LOVE Jambo but their CMs leave a lot to be desired.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
heynowirv
DIS Veteran
 
heynowirv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cheltenham, Pa.
Posts: 918

We stayed @ kidani last summer and had a similar experience.We arrived around 1 pm and was told our room wasn't ready yet but would be soon. Got the text after 4 that it was ,and like the op had requested a 3 or 4 floor studio. well of course what they had was a 1st floor ,but when i asked about 3 or 4th floor,it "yes sir but the rooms not ready,just a few more minutes and we'll have something for you". A few minutes was oh about 2 more hours.

IMHO,AKV is beautiful but I don't need to ever stay there again.
heynowirv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
carlbarry
DIS Veteran
 
carlbarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: On Long Island, New York.
Posts: 1,419

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynowirv View Post
We stayed @ kidani last summer and had a similar experience.We arrived around 1 pm and was told our room wasn't ready yet but would be soon. Got the text after 4 that it was ,and like the op had requested a 3 or 4 floor studio. well of course what they had was a 1st floor ,but when i asked about 3 or 4th floor,it "yes sir but the rooms not ready,just a few more minutes and we'll have something for you". A few minutes was oh about 2 more hours.

IMHO,AKV is beautiful but I don't need to ever stay there again.
When I went to the front desk after 2 hours and 40 minutes and said I was told the room would be ready soon, the CM looked it up and said that the note says "in a while"! So they apparently told me one thing, but covered their backside in the written comment.
__________________

carlbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #14
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 45,010

Check in is after 4PM. If you get it earlier than that, you are lucky. If you get it later than that, well, you still got your room. Sometimes your room isn't ready until 6PM. For our October trip, I got the text message at 4PM but it said it was sent at 2:45PM.

Everyone wants the villa close to the elevator, with the good view, close to the parking lot, without the connecting door, with the connecting door. Sometimes you just get the crappy villa. And you wait a long time to get that crappy villa.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #15
bwang123
Posts: 1,457,177,981
 
bwang123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 845

i had ACL and meniscus surgery a while back and couldnt imagine doing disney shortly after. i feel for you.

on a somewhat related note, we are staying at kidani in a few days and requested near the lobby. if we dont get it, we will be fine because we are on vacation and the amount of walking from the far side of the resort is minor compared to what we will experience in the parks. you wont see me on here complaining about it either.
__________________
OCT '15 DLP | MAY '15 AKV | OCT '13 VWL (MNSSHP) | MAY '13 BWV | DEC '12 SSR/AKV | MAR '12 ASM/ASSp/BLT | MAR '11 POFQ/CBR | MAY '08 CS | '95 DL Offsite | '93 & '94 DW Offiste

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.