Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #16
shalom
DIS Veteran

Normally for someone who has never been, I'd say the MK. Since you've done DLR, I'd say do Epcot. There's a tiny bit of overlap (Soarin', parts of Innoventions, etc.), but for the most part it will be different.

You will lose park time park hopping, but if you really want to see two parks, I'd do Animal Kingdom in the morning, Epcot in the afternoon, but not the other way around -- the animals will be more active in the morning, and Epcot is open later in the evening.

Seconding Keurigirl that Epcot's a little short on the thrill rides, so if you're into those, park hopping from AK to Epcot might be the best way to go.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #17
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

2 Adults - 1 day - 1 Park.

Epcot!

Spaceship Earth
Soarin
Test Track
Mission Space

Then World Showcase
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #18
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Another vote for Epcot, but not just because it's my favorite park. DL was my original home park, and now we're WDW vets (who still go to DL, too!) But absolutely Epcot for many reasons already mentioned - including the fact that it's unique and there is no other theme park like it AND that World Showcase is really fun (and can even be relaxing!) for the type of trip OP is describing.

While I enjoy the fun and adventure of park-hopping, and even 3-4 parks in one day, I don't recommend it for a DL vet visiting WDW for the first time.
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL, GF, BWI!)
April 2015: Easter Weekend at VWL!
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #19
Tiffany507s
Mouseketeer

I would think if they wanted thrill rides, HS would be the best...unless I've just missed something AK really only has Expedition Everest? I guess Dinosaur too?

If you want the classic experience: MK
Leisurely day with a couple rides: Epcot
Thrill Rides: Hollywood Studios

My personal preference.. I wouldn't even consider AK.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #20
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

To experience something very different from DLR, I'd either go to Epcot or AK. (I think DLR is very similar to Magic Kingdom, so there would be many "repeats" from what you've already seen at Disneyland. If you'd never been to either park, I'd recommend MK, though, as the quintissential Disney experience!)

So I'd recommend Epcot for both Future World and the "countries." I'm also a huge Animal Kingdom lover, so I'd recommend that, too. Depends on what you're interested in.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #21
DM Minnie
Earning My Ears

My husband and myself go on conference to Florida every so often. We do mk in the morning we hop on the monorail around 1 or 2 to epcot and enjoy a nice walk around the world taking our time. This style of day is much different than when we Travel with our son. We don't see parades, or long shows and if we can't fast pass or the line is more than 20mins we go to the next. It's more about taking it all in and enjoying our time together than racing around to fit everything in. Drinking and eating in epcot is worth dividing the day.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #22
bcrook
DIS Veteran

I would hop! I would go to DHS at rope drop. Play for the morning. You could do TSM or skip it, while everyone else goes there, and enjoy shorter rides on ToT and Star Tours. I would recommend a coffee and snack at the Writer's Stop.

Ride the boat over to Epcot and enjoy the evening. I would finish it off at the Rose and Crown for Illuminations.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #23
HockeyMomNH
DIS Veteran

My first thought was Epcot also, but I think since this is your first WDW experience and you are DL people I would park hop.

Rope drop at MK is such a great start to the day, and although MK and DL are similar it is really fun to see just how different they really are. Cinderella's castle is so amazing compared to Sleeping Beauty castle. Plus, there's the new fantasy land area to explore.

You could hop the monorail to Epcot and spend the afternoon and evening there. The World Showcase is a great experience and a fun adult evening.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #24
BubMunkeyBles
DIS Veteran

I'd probably parkhop between Epcot and Magic Kingdom. But I can't wait to see the new Fantasyland.

December 3-9, 2014- SSR and BWV
BubMunkeyBles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #25
PrincessMe
Mouseketeer

Dissenting vote - I would go with Hollywood Studios. TSM, Tower, TSM, Star Tours, Rock 'n Roller Coaster, drawing classes.

I would probably hop, though, if I had only one day and spend the evening at Epcot (or MK if late hours are an option.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #26
gummybear091
Earning My Ears

I would go with Epcot or AK as well. HS is a major let down if you've recently been to DCA. Disneyland and MK are pretty similar. Some rides better in DL, some rides better in MK.
gummybear091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #27
disneydreamkate
DIS Veteran

I would do EP if I could only pick one park for one day...if I had the option though I would probably do MK in the morning and see the new FL and then head to EP in the late afternoon/evening.
01/2011 AKL
10/2011 POFQ 1st F&W Festival!
01/2013 AKL
02/2014 POR & AKL PHM!
12/2014 BC
disneydreamkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #28
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't recommend park hopping on your first and only day at WDW. It takes too long to change parks, and you are not familiar with the parks. I too would say Epcot since it is so different then DL and DCA. There is so much to see, you would miss too much by hopping.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:58 AM   #29
yeaitspootie
Mouseketeer

Magic Kingdom.

It has the most magic, bar none.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:36 AM   #30
kaligal
DIS Veteran

Since you've been to DL...and since you're asking this question...i assume you dont want to go to the MK, but instead want to visit a new kind of park. Can't blame you there!

I can't tell anyone to go to the Studios because I think that park sucks...but you might not! You might like it! IMO, it is very generic and boring. It's also poorly laid out and very confusing to newbies.

That leaves Epcot and AK. AK is my favorite, but so many people don't enjoy it.

So, I vote Epcot. Plus, there is a LOT to do at Epcot...enough to keep you going all day. Good restaurants and (mostly) good street entertainment. Plus, Illuminations is a good night show.

Have fun, wherever you go!
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: