Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #16
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

The OP has already said she has a toddler who will presumably be under most height requirements

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #17
nikki27
Earning My Ears

Thank you all. Yes, we have a 2yo who will be under height restrictions for some rides and would use the baby swap for those rides if DH wants to ride. We will play all the rest as we go. Thanks for the ideas.
nikki27 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #18
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki27 View Post
I have been lurking WDW websites for awhile and we have our first family trip scheduled for January. We are staying on-site but may drive and park at the parks because of my husbands issues. Is there specific criteria for a GAC? Do you need a Doctors note/memo? My DH has severe anxiety issues with crowds and on anything that moves unless he is the one driving it to include trams, buses, boats etc. he will likely not ride any rides...will have to see how it goes. Just looking for a way to ease his anxiety/panic issues and enjoy our 1st family trip to WDW. Any insight/help is appreciated. Thanks
Just wanted to point out that if you do decide to request a GAC, a Drs note will be of no value and the CM likely won't look at it, you/he will have to explain his NEEDS rather than a diagnosis. You'll want to do some thinking about what accomodations might help him with regards to rides and attractions. As others have mentioned, GAC is only used for rides/attractions - it has no value for WDW transportation (monorail, buses, trams, boats, etc.), restaurants, parades, and such. Just be prepared before arriving at Guest Relations to know what exactly you are requesting - how they can help.

Good luck with your planning and enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #19
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

If you haven't already checked out the disABILITIES FAQs thread, you will want to look at post 6 on that thread. It is all about GACs.

You can find that thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:22 AM   #20
Just_Trish
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
The FAQs are "on the boards"--at the top of the disAbilities board, you will see stickies. The FAQ thread is one of them. You don't need to go to "the website."
I think she meant accessing it from a real computer instead of from her Ipod. I know lots of things don't show up right when I log on using my Kindle...

19 MAGICAL TRIPS...
March 2001 – ASMo June 2001 - ASMu July 2002 - Coronado Springs May 2003 - AKL Sept 2004 - POP - MNSSHP Oct 2005 - ASSp - MNSSHP Feb 2007 - POP - Pirate & Princess Party Nov 2009 – POP - DDs Sweet 16, MNSSHP
Sept 2010 - POP - MNSSHP Dec 2010 - POP - MVMCP Oct 2011 – POP - MNSSHP Feb 2012 - POP - One More Disney Day Whole 24 Hrs! May 2012 - POP Oct 2012 – POP - MNSSHP Dec 2012 – POP - MVMCP March 2013 - POP - My 40th B'day!
May 2013 - POP - Monstrous Summer - Whole 24 Hours! October 2013 - POP - MNSSHP
May 2014 – POP – Rock Your Disney Side – Whole 24 Hours!

Upcoming Trips
Aug 2014 - POP - Villains Unleashed! Sept 2014 – POP – MNSSHP Nov 2014 – Port Orleans Royal Room – Dds 21st B'Day! Dec 2014 – POP – MVMCP
Just_Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #21
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Trish View Post
I think she meant accessing it from a real computer instead of from her Ipod. I know lots of things don't show up right when I log on using my Kindle...
From the context, I think she meant going to the Disney official website.
Disney actually does not publish anything about Guest Assistance Cards, so there is no information there.

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 12-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #22
Sunnywho
DIS Veteran

I can tell you about what I have done to accommodate my own needs.

There is a Diamond Auto pass that AAA gives out. It can be purchased off of ebay but that may be against the rules. The Diamond Auto pass allows you to park in special parking next to handicapped parking that is close enough that you do not have to use the trams. Very helpful for the parking situation, especially with a stroller and any disability that the trams would worsen but walking is ok.

At Magic Kingdom, there is still a need to take a monorail or a boat. The boat takes a long time. I would recommend the monorail because it does not take as long. It might be possible to walk to the contemporary and then walk from there to the park, bypassing the need to take the monorail. I'm not entirely sure about that or how long it would take.

I've had some scrutiny over why I'm asking for a GAC and I've also had over-and-above offers of more stamps than I needed. I think it depends on who you get. At the Magic Kingdom, it's better to go to City Hall to request than to request it at Guest services outside the park. If you are given a GAC, keep it to show the next trip you go because then they will know what you are asking for and that it was granted in the past.

I would recommend going to guest services and explaining it just as you have here. Severe anxiety with crowds and rides. Then let them decide if there is anything they can do. You will not know if you don't ask. I don't think you are trying to take advantage of anything.

I definitely though recommend not using the Disney buses with his anxiety issues. The buses can be incredibly crowded, standing-room only.

For rides, consider looking up the length of rides. Splash Mountain for example is a long ride. Dumbo is a short one. Another thing too is that Disney has so much more to do even if he does none of the rides at all. Lots of shows, dining, characters, etc.

Enjoy your trip.
Sunnywho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #23
tigress1980
Earning My Ears

The gac is changing. Please be aware of this. Gr at dak gave my brother a hard time when he asked last week. They said people have been taking advantage of it. He has severe scoliosis and cant walk long distances. Just ask and see what they can do
tigress1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #24
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigress1980 View Post
The gac is changing. Please be aware of this. Gr at dak gave my brother a hard time when he asked last week. They said people have been taking advantage of it. He has severe scoliosis and cant walk long distances. Just ask and see what they can do
This is not new-Disney's answer to mobility issues has always been to use a wheelchair or ecv.
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #25
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
This is not new-Disney's answer to mobility issues has always been to use a wheelchair or ecv.
This is true.
In most cases, a GAC is not going to shorten the distance walked or provide a place to sit.

Someone who needs those things really needs to consider a wheelchair, ECV or some other type of mobility device. The reason WDW recommends a wheelchair has been on their website and park maps for a long time -

"STAMINA OR ENDURANCE CONCERNS
Some Guests may be concerned that they do not have the stamina to wait in Walt Disney World attraction queues. We strongly suggest these Guests consider using a wheelchair, personal scooter or Electric Convenience Vehicle (ECV), as the distance between the attractions is much greater than the length of the queues."

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plain-text/

Last edited by SueM in MN; 12-08-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:04 AM   #26
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

A GAC will not help distances walked or time standing. In fact it can increase both, depending on the attraction.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #27
Piper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
A GAC will not help distances walked or time standing. In fact it can increase both, depending on the attraction.
True! When I had extended family with me, they often rode twice in the time it took me to ride one time!
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #28
scmomof2
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Just wanted to point out that if you do decide to request a GAC, a Drs note will be of no value and the CM likely won't look at it, you/he will have to explain his NEEDS rather than a diagnosis.
I just wanted to let you know that back in April when I was requesting a GAC for my daughter, a Drs note *was* asked for which surprised me. I hadn't brought one because it was not asked for during a previous trip. If I didn't have a Drs note she wanted to see the previous GAC that was issued. So for our upcoming trip I am bringing both items. We'll see what they ask for this time

eta: I am happy to report that this time they did not request the doctor's note. They did notice my previous GAC which I had in hand, and very promptly issued another one. Very good experience overall. I think I just had an inexperienced CM last time.

Last edited by scmomof2; 12-15-2012 at 10:40 PM.
scmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #29
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmomof2 View Post
I just wanted to let you know that back in April when I was requesting a GAC for my daughter, a Drs note *was* asked for which surprised me. I hadn't brought one because it was not asked for during a previous trip. If I didn't have a Drs note she wanted to see the previous GAC that was issued. So for our upcoming trip I am bringing both items. We'll see what they ask for this time
You could have easily asked for a manager her because the CM is legally not allowed to ask for any sort of proof when providing equal accommodations.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: