Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #16
deva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicwishes View Post
We are renting a car. Here's another question regarding having a rental and a porter.

Do you get the rental car first then pay the porter to take everything there or have the porter take everything with you to the rental car place? I can't imagine them standing around with a line for us to get the rental car. I was thinking I would wait with the kids and luggage, have my husband go get the car, and then find a porter to take everything over once we have the keys to the car. Is that the way to do it?
Even if you don't go with porter DO sign up for express check in with you rental company. It is free. You will bypass lines at counter. A MUST with kids. We use dollar. Their express check in is in the garage. Just go get bags. Porter will be there. He will load up cart and follow you to garage. Get keys at booth and he will follow you to car. I would not make him wait with stuff if I had to wait in one of those rental car lines in the terminal.
deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #17
heather4Disney
BEGINNER 2 DISNEY (Family with 3 small kids)

Could you put the 5 yr old's booster into the checked luggage ? If they are responsible they could carry it. If you are renting a vehicle your dh could take one of the kids with him, a large piece of luggage and one of the full carseats. This would leave you with two kids, a cart from the airport, possibly one large luggage and one full-size car seat. this might make it more tolerable. Last time we got a porter but we had been travelling from a 13 hour flight.

Keep wrapped toys in her pocket, and don't hand them out until the kids get crazy. Pipe cleaners are great and no mess. Also have some sort of snack in your pocket too even if it is some chips or candy. You could put some of these in your checked luggage but in easy to access compartments.

Heather
heather4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #18
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deva View Post
Even better. Pay the porter. They have bigger carts and will load on ALL your luggage and take right to car. Those smart carts are not that big, so if you have three kids, luggage and car seats....a lot to maneuver.

I pay the guy $20 and have him bring everything to car.
Yes this! We use the porter since we are on vacation and prefer not to lug around our luggage when we had car seats and luggage. Just budget the extra $20 in the trip. DS and I are planning a golfing weekend in Jan/Feb at Disney and plan to check the clubs. You can bet for $20, the porter is bringing those clubs to the car. Have a fun time!
Old 12-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #19
ADVentive
Earning My Ears

I stacked the carseats on the stroller and attached them with bungee cords. They actually puzzled very well and it was easier than I expected. Then I also popped my carry-on on top, pushed it all and carried my little one on my back!

ADVentive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #20
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

We just rented car seats from the car rental company.

We have 5 year olds, but they are still in the 5 point. I was originally quite worried about the brand and integrity of the rental seats, but I found them to be satisfactory.

Alamo used the Costco brand. It wasn't Britax like we usually use, but they were clean, and within expiry. There was really no visible wear on them at all, they seemed brand new.

The biggest pain was installing a new brand in a car we weren't familiar with, but in the end, it worked out great, and we weren't lugging car seats.

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #21
ChitownFamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
Rent the smart cart!! Last year we finally started ponying up the $4 to rent the airport carts to lug our stuff around and it makes the airport 1000x easier.

I'm so glad you mentioned this. We struggled thru the airport 10 days ago & on our flight home tonight, i convinced DH to pay for the cart. HALLELUJAH!!!
Thanks for sharing this tip!

Cruise March 2013 (RCI-LIberty of the Seas)
11/28/12-12/8/12 art of animation (Nemo)
Spring 04- offsite, Universal/IOA, Discovery, DW
Christmas-New Years 02-offsite (Been there, Done that!)
ChitownFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #22
JenLanDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prncess674 View Post
Will you be using any of your car seats on the plane? If no, I would still probably gate check the carseat for the 3 year old. I would probably choose the 3 year old since you can contain the 1 year old in a stroller and the 5 yr old is old enough to listen. Send hubby, 3 yr old, 1 carseat (collected plane side) and one piece of carryon to go get in the rental car line. They will go straight to the rental car area. Be sure to register for the program for your rental car company so that you are not waiting around filling out a bunch of paper work. You will stay back with the other two and head to baggage claim. Wave over a porter and just point to your items as they come off the baggage belt. More than likely your hubby will have made it through the car line and will be at the car strapping in car seat #1. If he made through the line super quick he can swing around and pick you up, otherwise have hubby call you with the car space number and have the porter walk you, luggage and 2 kids to the parking lot.

$20 well spent IMHO.
This is a logistical planner after my own heart! Great post.
JenLanDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #23
Disneymooner07
Mouseketeer

I recently saw a man at the airport lugging two full-size carseats that were stacked inside of each other, which I've never seen before - it was awesome! So I ran over and asked what brand they were and he said they were the Cosco Sceneca (sp?). I could easily see stacking three of those and tying them together into one piece of luggage that would be manageable. And he said they were really light too. I was just amazed at how well they stacked - I can't imagine our enormous Britax carseats stacking in any way, shape or form! Haha!
Disneymooner07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #24
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymooner07 View Post
I recently saw a man at the airport lugging two full-size carseats that were stacked inside of each other, which I've never seen before - it was awesome! So I ran over and asked what brand they were and he said they were the Cosco Sceneca (sp?). I could easily see stacking three of those and tying them together into one piece of luggage that would be manageable. And he said they were really light too. I was just amazed at how well they stacked - I can't imagine our enormous Britax carseats stacking in any way, shape or form! Haha!
That's the Cosco Scenera, they are commonly suggested for travel because they are inexpensive and fairly easy to use. Do check the height/weight limits, because they are quite low.
The Britax seats are huge, but I travel with them because I know I can install them anywhere! If you're staying in the US, the Scenera should be fine.
African safari, July, 2016

Past:
DCL Dream/ WDW, March, 2013
NCL Jewel, New Year's Eve, 2012
NCL Star, New Year's, 2012
NCL Sun, New Year's, 2011
Land trips to all Canadian provinces, most of the eastern US, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Egypt, Columbia, Puerto Rico and a few others I can't remember as a child!
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #25
Keurigirl
let's all sing like the birdies sing

Don't fret about staying offsite. You can save tons of money that way. We rent a townhouse through www.5mins2disney.com or windsorhillsrent.com, and the Windsor Hills Resort is within 5 minutes of the main gate. We've stayed on property too, but once we stayed off property we realized we loved it far more! It takes less time to get to the parks in a car than it does on many of the buses/boats/etc.

Also, with three kids, wouldn't it be nice if you could have a whole house, with laundry, a kitchen for snacks and breakfasts, and bedrooms of their own? I just find it so much easier (we have two kids) and everyone sleeps better. Plus it's about $100 a night for a townhouse with a private pool.
Disney Cruises: W. Caribbean 3/12, Alaska 8/12, W. Caribbean 4/13, Alaska 8/13, Transatlantic 5/14, Alaska 8/14 next trip: Alaska 8/15
Keurigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #26
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

I use the carseat on the plane for my kids. They are more comfortable and I am more comfortable knowing they are secure.

WHen travelling through the airport, I "wear" a carseat on my back. You "wear" the seat so the back of the seat is toward your back. Let the straps out and put your arms through the straps. Adjust the straps when you install to fit the child. I have had many people stop me asking how I do it.

Have a great trip!
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #27
ADVentive
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymooner07 View Post
I was just amazed at how well they stacked - I can't imagine our enormous Britax carseats stacking in any way, shape or form! Haha!
I did this with my Britax Marathons. I sat one on an umbrella stroller, then sat the second one puzzled inside the first, then I bungee corded them onto the stroller so I could push them. They puzzled together just fine. I also put my backpack on top. While the Scenera is a cheap seat that people like for travel, but I don't know that my bigger kid is going to fit in it. I just stick with the seat that I know works for us.

I won't rent carseats from the car rental company - I don't trust them to be safe seats (unexpired, not in an accident, etc) that will meet my needs (I rear-face and harness my kids longer than most). I also won't check them with luggage because I don't want them thrown around. I would gate check them, but prefer to just use them on the flight where I can keep my eye on them.

ADVentive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #28
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

What strollers are you planning on bringing? We have brought a second stroller once, essentially to carry a carseat/etc. We wanted the stroller that attaches to the pumpkin seat (bringing a 6mo), but wanted the jogging stroller for the beach (carried the graco nautilus for us).

The only tricky part is security, but MCO is used to helping out/making it a little easier for families. DH just took the strollers/carseat and I stayed with the kiddos.

Great suggestions from other posters too!
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #29
stormer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deva View Post
Even better. Pay the porter. They have bigger carts and will load on ALL your luggage and take right to car. Those smart carts are not that big, so if you have three kids, luggage and car seats....a lot to maneuver.

I pay the guy $20 and have him bring everything to car.
Agreed! So worth it if you have a lot of stuff.
October 1994 Port Orleans / Oct. 1996 Caribbean Beach Resort / Oct. 1999 Off site / Oct. 2004 Contemporary Resort / Oct. 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge / Aug.2007 Port Orleans Riverside / April 2008 Saratoga Springs Villas & Wilderness Lodge Villas/ Oct. 2008 Old Key West / Feb. 2009 Polynesian Resort / Aug. 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ Feb. 2010 Carribbean Beach Resort / Aug. 2010 Bay Lake Tower / Feb. 2011 Grand Floridian and Beach Club Villas / Aug. 2011 Boardwalk Villas / Aug. 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ Feb. 2013 Coronado Springs / Aug. 2013 Boardwalk Villas / Feb. 2014 Coronado Springs / Aug. 2014 Old Key West
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #30
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

We use one of these for car seats on the plane (it only works with 1, though, but it holds the child AND the car seat.) My daughter LOVED it! http://www.amazon.com/Go-Go-Babyz-QR...idz+travelmate
I know Britax has a similar cart especially made for their seats.
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: