Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
Cameo
DIS Veteran

Who's done a Christmas cruise?

Thinking of doing one in 2013. Any good advice or information from those who have done this?
Old 12-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo View Post
Thinking of doing one in 2013. Any good advice or information from those who have done this?
Plan on paying an obscene amount for the fare. Will you be bringing prezzies? TSA doesn't want them gift-wrapped so if you fly, you'll need to bring gift bags, or gift wrap and hide the unwrapped prezzies in your luggage. And of course you can't pack any large gifts like a bicycle or a pony.

We loved cruising at Christmas but we'd rather do the gift exchanges at home, then sail right after Christmas. Or you could cheat and unwrap presents before your Christmas cruise. Or count the cruise as your gift, or maybe include a surprise shore excursion as a gift.

The ships have fabulous decorations, and it actually snowed inside the atrium on Christmas Eve. Disney magic at its finest.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
tajz90
Mama D

We are this year.

We got a very good price IMO.

We are not doing a present exchange, but that's not unusual for us. We try to travel over the holidays so we never do one.

I'll report back.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
disneydreaming92701
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to hear more about. Including how disney makes it special.
disneydreaming92701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
3dog2kidmom
DIS Veteran

We are booked on the Dream next Christmas (4-night), and I didn't think the fare was bad either. Can't wait to hear from others who have sailed during this time about any special things happening over Christmas.

Last edited by 3dog2kidmom; 12-08-2012 at 08:46 PM.
3dog2kidmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
TnRobin
My body may be back in Nashville, but my mind is still on vacation.
Bob Villa, build me a bathroom in the attic!

DISboards Moderator

I haven't cruise the actual week of Christmas, but one of the weeks leading up to it. I am sure the actual week is even more special, but we had a blast. the Activities were great. We made gingerbread houses - one per family. Of course we couldn't take it off the ship, but we had a great time building it.

The ship is decked out and so are the characters.

I wish I could remember more details, but it has been a few years. I just remember it was an awesome cruise.

TnRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
bmer1rick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo View Post
We have done two previous Christmas Cruises and absolutely love them.. we are on the Fantasy Christmas Cruise this year. As a PP mentioned, they are priced at peak season rates and fill up very quickly. We normally book as soon as they open for booking and then get the OB discount to help. We love them and have made them a family tradition. Here is a quick synopsis I did from last year on the Dream..

For us, the cruise was well worth it. Every day they had something special for us to do. On the first day was the Christmas tree lighting and several opportunities for pictures. The Christmas Tree lighting ceremony is called King Triton's Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony and they pick a child out of the crowd to be the guest of honor to light the tree. He/She get a costume to put on when they give the magic words.. Unlike other cruises we have been on, they offered several times with the characters to take pictures in their Christmas sweaters, etc.

They changed the itinerary a little for the cruise, because the second day was Nassau and Pirate night. Since we were in Nassau for the entire day and it being Pirate night, this was the day with the least scheduled Christmas events, but I would expect that. As usual this was one of the Princess gatherings and several of the princesses were in Christmas dresses.

The third day was Christmas eve and our day at Castaway Cay. As mentioned the focus was Castaway Cay. I was a little dissapointed that there weren't more photographers up by the Christmas tree and the sleigh. They instead were down with Captain Jack and by the the Mount Rushmore bouys. Maybe it was the time of day and they later repositioned themselves, but we did have to ask others to take our pictures. The dinner that night was very good and our head server warned us about our Christmas dinner and leaving a good appetite. When we returned to the room, Disney had a few special gifts for us to include a Don "Ducky" Williams print that is only available on this cruise. There was also a nice box of chocolates and our host made a nice snowman with a special little Santa hat with the DCL emblem.

Our final full day was at sea and chock full of special things to do. As mentioned they had Santa (and Santa Goofy) available for kids in the lobby. It was very well organized and went very quickly. They also had a very nice Christmas morning spread full of cookies, pastries, egg nog, hot chocolate and chocolates. They also had several Christmas services for those that wanted to attend. We decided to schedule this day for our Gingerbread house making session. If you do go on a Christmas Cruise, I highly encourage attending this.. it was very good. You have to make reservations for it when you first get on the ship at guest services, so don't forget.. they go quickly. They also showed War Horse on Christmas, which was also the first day it came out on theaters. The dinner was amazing, it was almost like eating at Palos. The signature appetizer was Alaskan King Crab legs and the main course was Lobster Tail (which the waiter offered me a second). For desert they had a white chocolate souffle, which my wife totally enjoyed.

We really enjoyed the cruise, but do recommend you make your reservations early if the cost is a major concern for you. We already made ours for the 2012 Cruise on the Fantasy and paid pretty much the same rate as a regular 7 day cruise during the time kids are in school.
bmer1rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
lodge
DIS Veteran

don't fly in day of cruise... to crazy for that time of year
lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

I requested our DU TA to switch our fall 2013 dummy date to the Christmas 2014 week. This will be our first Christmas cruise and I can't wait. I'll have to just sit back and wait patiently for the remainder of the 2014 dates to be released. I'll be checking back here to see some of the responses to your question.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #10
n8tivecaligirl
Mouseketeer

We leave in two weeks for our first and can't wait! Snow, gingerbread houses, caroling, Christmas dinner and Santa Christmas morning!? How fun!!!!

n8tivecaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #11
neg58
DIS Veteran

We're sailing the 23rd. I just can't believe that someone else is going to put up the decorations, cook the meals, clean up the meals, entertain us, sing to us, feed us some more, and drive us to beautiful islands.

I'm working on gifts and outfits, reservations for the night before and parking, and just ticking the days off the calendar until the 23.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
SunLuvr321
Mouseketeer

A few weeks ago I saw this thread about a Christmas Cruise. It has great descriptions and lots of pictures. It made me what to book one.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ight=christmas

2/2013-Disney Dream ~ 9/2009-Carnival Sensation
SunLuvr321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: