Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
BippityBoppity
Mouseketeer

DCL or DisneyWorld???

We have never cruised with Disney due to prices. Have been to DW only twice. We really had a blast and it makes me want to go back every year, but unfortunately other things happen. Our last visit to DW was in '07. We are contemplating a DC. We have cruised with other lines so we're not new to cruising. We are early 50's and this trip (whichever we choose) will be for our 32nd Anniversary. I've done quite a bit of reading on DCL but still wondering if this would be more enjoyable for us. We had so much fun at DW and we were going and doing every day we were there. On a short cruise, we would probably only get off the ship for Disney's Island so shore excursions would not be an issue for us. The price for say four days of DW as opposed to the same amount of days on the cruise would actually be a bit more expensive since food is calculated into the cost of your cruise and at DW you have to purchase the food separately. Ok, with that aside and just considering the two trips, what are your opinions?

I know you are so much more experienced when it comes to Disney and so I truly value your opinions.

Thank you.
BippityBoppity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
suffieldhockeymom
DIS Veteran

I would do the cruise. You will have a great time.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippityBoppity View Post
We have never cruised with Disney due to prices. Have been to DW only twice. We really had a blast and it makes me want to go back every year, but unfortunately other things happen. Our last visit to DW was in '07. We are contemplating a DC. We have cruised with other lines so we're not new to cruising. We are early 50's and this trip (whichever we choose) will be for our 32nd Anniversary. I've done quite a bit of reading on DCL but still wondering if this would be more enjoyable for us. We had so much fun at DW and we were going and doing every day we were there. On a short cruise, we would probably only get off the ship for Disney's Island so shore excursions would not be an issue for us. The price for say four days of DW as opposed to the same amount of days on the cruise would actually be a bit more expensive since food is calculated into the cost of your cruise and at DW you have to purchase the food separately. Ok, with that aside and just considering the two trips, what are your opinions?

I know you are so much more experienced when it comes to Disney and so I truly value your opinions.

Thank you.
Well...this is a DCL planning board so chances are the majority will say a DCL cruise...me included. I feel with DCL you get all the Magic of WDW without the stress of lines and making dining reservations. There is plenty of "Disney" onboard the ships with beautiful Disney stage show productions in the theatres, characters abound, good food, activities if you want them or just relaxing is that is your thing. I would describe the ships as Disney elegence with a touch of whimsy!

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
CaptDadSparrow
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippityBoppity

Thank you.
To be brutally honest, I love my kids, loved the cruise with them, but I swear I would have had about as much fun with just my wife.

Like the parks, with the kids it was go go go until they just dropped at night. We were exhausted by the end of the days.

CaptDadSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

I have not been on a cruise yet, I am planned for next October. We live here and have APs. I would pick the cruise and I will tell you why.

The parks have been SO crowded. Last year it felt like the parks were busier than the year before. This year, I have not even seen a slow season. I am actually questioning renewing next time because it's been so bad.

If you can do both, then go for it. The new Fantasyland is pretty neat. But if you have to choose between the two, I would take the cruise.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
SrisonS
... and that's 'ess-ryzun-ess' (play on my name) ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDadSparrow

To be brutally honest, I love my kids, loved the cruise with them, but I swear I would have had about as much fun with just my wife.

Like the parks, with the kids it was go go go until they just dropped at night. We were exhausted by the end of the days.
Me and my wife went on 2 Disney cruises alone, before taking our DD the first time last month (she was born after those other 2). And we had a blast with her. But you could probably have more fun without the kids. You can do the same things you'd do with children, plus a lot more (i.e. the clubs, adult only shows and areas, any excursion).
SrisonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
BippityBoppity
Mouseketeer

You guys are great!!!! I always know that I can count on this forum for help.
Thank you again!!
BippityBoppity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
lodge
DIS Veteran

both... research in EVERY way you can to find the best fit for your family.... then try them both for a shorter time to see what works best.... then come back a BILLION times because it's so awesome!
lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodge View Post
both... research in EVERY way you can to find the best fit for your family.... then try them both for a shorter time to see what works best.... then come back a BILLION times because it's so awesome!
We always do both , 2 or 3 days before the cruise (4 or 7 day) then followed by 3 or 4 days at the parks.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #10
FREEZIN
FREEZIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwing818 View Post
We always do both , 2 or 3 days before the cruise (4 or 7 day) then followed by 3 or 4 days at the parks.
Same here,I figure with the price of airfare being what it is.We always do
a Surf & Turf.Usually a 7 nighter along with a 3 day prestay at WDW.
I need to have my dinners at Ohana's and Boma's you see.
FREEZIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #11
cinmouse
Mouseketeer

I also do both, the 4 day cruise and then 3 days at the parks. We do the parks first and then spend a down day @ Cocoa Beach before the cruise.

They experiences are not the same in my mind...the parks are crazy, lots of fun and riding the rides, enjoying the world and taking in the experiences but the cruise is a way to unwind with a Disney touch.

I think only you can decide what is right for you. Good luck planning~
cinmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #12
PryncessLace
Mouseketeer

We recently returned from our first Disney Cruise and my husband and I both have decided we prefer the cruise over the parks. I never thought I would say that! We have even changed our trip next year from a parks trip to a cruise trip. We did spend a half day at Epcot the day we returned, but that is bc it just isn't Christmas for me without Holidays Around the World.
PryncessLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #13
TinksMomma
Mouseketeer

I say DCL too! My hubby is a recent convert to DCL and is quite content to keep it that way for a while. We love DCL because it's the perfect mix of relaxation and everything we love about Disney!! He says he loves it because the minute he steps on board the ship, he's treated like a KING!
Old 12-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

I agree with the others that say do both if possible, that way you get the best of both worlds without having to choose between them. We are taking our first DCL cruise in December 2013, with a 3 night WDW stay before and a 2 night WDW stay after. We love the parks and resorts and since the cruise is just a 3 nighter, we are also getting park time by staying before and after the cruise. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #15
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippityBoppity View Post

Thank you.
This is a tough one. I'd post this on the community board so that perhaps the bias may not be as strong as it is here on the cruise line board.

That said, I'm torn. My first love is the parks. If I hadn't been there since '07 then I'd want to walk the parks again - especially with the new Fantasyland open. On the other hand, I want to sail on the Dream to experience this beauty.

I'm with the others...can you try to make it a dual trip? A few days in the parks before or after the cruise?
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: