Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #16
chemnerd09
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemieu1 View Post
Shop and the Asdastra Garden tour.

Shopping not the greatest but coudl fill up a couple hours and the Run cakes are great.

Asdastra Garden tour is fun. I had fun feeding the Lory parrots. Also the up close views of the flamingoes and peacocks was cool.
We were thinking about doing that tour. Did it have a lot of walking on uneven ground? My father has a bit of trouble walking and as long as its pretty flat he should be alright. I really wanted to see the flamingoes.

chemnerd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #17
MND
DIS Veteran

I liked Nassau

On our first DCL cruise in April we got off and had a very nice time visiting the shops, checking out the historic sites and having a Kalik or two as we strolled around.

I thought the people we encountered were very friendly without being overly pushy trying to sell us stuff.

My son commented as we saw a few young adults in handcuffs outside the police station "... that this isn't World Showcase". He's right, but it's a real capital city with a nice mix of real history and tourism.

I look forward to my next visit to Nassau.

One more thing. I thought this guide to Nassau was very helpful:

http://www.brentjes.com/nassau.html

All the best!

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #18
NoodlesMom
Mouseketeer

We are going without the kids this time so we are visiting Sandals. It's a little pricey but I don't think I'll ever make it to the resort on a land vacation so were going to try it out.
Pop Century 7/2007- 1st Trip-- Disney Cruise on the Magic 2009--Pop Century 6/2010-- One Night Premium B-day trip ASsp/Dolphin 9/2010-- Saratoga Springs Resort 7/2011 -- Beach Club Villas/Disney Dream 9/2011!Disney Dream AKL 02/13 Adults Only!11/13 Disney Dream/ Swan Thanksgiving Surf and Turf! Food and Wine ASMo Bday trip 9/14
NoodlesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #19
Feisty Fairy
DIS Veteran

Nassau as pushy people trying to sale you stuff or take their transportation you just have to know how to say no and walk away. I had a enjoy time but only spent about an hour and half there. Got back on the ship and enjoyed our day relaxing without the crowd. Me and the hubby went to the Rainforest Room $16 a person uses of saunas, heated loungers and showers as much as you want during the day for that day. Oh and the hot tubs at the adult area where empty as well (if your kid wants to go to the club) It is similar to say New Orleans (Nassau a little worse). Do not underestimate the Tortuga Rum Cakes though yum.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #20
disneybeachprincess
Disney Girl from Day One

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tivecaligirl View Post
We plan on staying on the ship and enjoying the fact most people will be off doing other things! No lines, not busy, just relax
Like & Ditto to what I always do! One time in Nassau is one time too many IMHO. Didn't enjoy it very much at all~too hot when I was there & way way too crowded~just not fun at all. Enjoy the ship & had it mostly to ourselves, esp the pools!

disneybeachprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #21
suffieldhockeymom
DIS Veteran

Blue Lagoon sealion encounter was fun. We went in the Am and stayed at the beach the rest of the day
Old 12-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #22
m&m123
Mouseketeer

We also enjoyed Blue lagoon island we have done the sea lion and dolphin encounter on separate trips. The boat ride over is as beautiful as the island. If we go to Nassau again I would stay there for a beach day. Our party of 4 all liked hanging out on their beach better than Castaway. So much more of an island feel. Many you tube videos and pictures are on line to see what the place is like. I forget what their web address is off hand.
Yes, the first part of the area where you get off the ship in Nassau is a pit and the locals can be pushy-just say no thanks and walk away. I have never felt uneasy staying in our group. I would not walk around alone though.

m&m123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:50 AM   #23
Niebz
DIS Veteran

Blue Lagoon is pristine and gorgeous, I'd recommend any excursion that goes there. Otherwise I would probably stay on the ship.
Niebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:23 AM   #24
jpeppers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMommy View Post
If you are going with small kids, STAY ON THE SHIP!

We were there earlier this week, my 5 year old got overwhelmed by all the people approaching us trying to sell us things. He started crying and screaming, the locals all started screaming at us telling him he is a bad kid and yelling to me to spank him! Yells to spank him were coming from all directions as I tried to carry him back to the ship, one man started chasing after us screaming I need to spank that bad boy! Of course my son just started crying more at all this. It was absolutely terrible! By the time we got back to the ship, we were both crying. Ruined our entire day. Never should have gotten off the ship.
I'm pretty sure I would have ended up in a Bahamian jail if anyone came near my child saying they wanted to spank them! I'm not being critical of you, you made the right choice getting back to the boat!
jpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:31 AM   #25
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

Hubby and I went to Nassau as our last stop on our 1st cruise (before kids). We went to some beach, which was beautiful and rented a jet ski right there on the beach. It was awesome....just the 2 of us cruising on the ocean. It was fun but we felt it the next day, made us very sore, lol. Very fun though. We actually loved Nassau....very pretty!
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
All Star Sports...2/2015 (just me and hubby)
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #26
ranidayz
DIS Veteran is a....... Caribbean Amphibian

We did the Stingray excursion. $50 for everyone included transportation (nice ride), lunch, beach time and over an hour with the debarbed stingrays
ranidayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #27
Tass
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m123 View Post
We also enjoyed Blue lagoon island we have done the sea lion and dolphin encounter on separate trips. The boat ride over is as beautiful as the island. If we go to Nassau again I would stay there for a beach day. Our party of 4 all liked hanging out on their beach better than Castaway. So much more of an island feel. Many you tube videos and pictures are on line to see what the place is like. I forget what their web address is off hand.
Yes, the first part of the area where you get off the ship in Nassau is a pit and the locals can be pushy-just say no thanks and walk away. I have never felt uneasy staying in our group. I would not walk around alone though.
We did the Blue Lagoon beach day in May 2011. DH, DD (14), DD (9) and I - we all loved it! It was a gorgeous day and a lovely beach. We walked as a group to the boat that took us to the island and were not bothered by anyone asking us to buy anything. We would do it again if we were in Nassau.
Tass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #28
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffieldhockeymom View Post
Blue Lagoon sealion encounter was fun. We went in the Am and stayed at the beach the rest of the day
I had thought about it, but it's pretty pricey and the cruise we are going on has a double dip at Castaway. So I'm not sure if it would be worth it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMissy View Post
Hubby and I went to Nassau as our last stop on our 1st cruise (before kids). We went to some beach, which was beautiful and rented a jet ski right there on the beach. It was awesome....just the 2 of us cruising on the ocean. It was fun but we felt it the next day, made us very sore, lol. Very fun though. We actually loved Nassau....very pretty!
Wow, that sounds very interesting. Where did you do the jet skis at? What excursion?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #29
dgmommie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feisty Fairy View Post
We just walked around a little took some pictures and bought a couple of souvenirs. You should get a Tortuga Rum cake so delicious and very moist. The only problem with it was not buying one of the larger ones.
Just saw those cakes yesterday in Dillards. They were in the kitchen appliance area. Cost was $31.99 for the 6-pack, so not much more than in Nassau, and not problems packing to bring home.
Feb. 1992 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Big Red Boat (Disney cruise), Nov. 2000 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Feb. 2002 - WDW All Star Sports, Polynesian, Sep. 2003 - WDW Polynesian, Dec. 2004 - WDW Pop Century, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Oct. 2005 - WDW Pop Century, May 2006 - Disneyland, Mar. 2007 - WDW Pop Century, WDW Coronado Springs, DCL Wonder, Nov. 2007 - DCL Wonder, Dec. 2008 - Disneyland, Dec. 2009 - DCL Wonder, Mar. 2011 - WDW Pop Century, DCL Dream, July 2012 - DCL Fantasy - GOLD CASTAWAY CLUB MEMBERS NOW!!!, Dec. 2012 - Disneyland, Feb. 2013 - DCL Magic, WDW (cruise stop), Mar. 2014 - DCL Fantasy
dgmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #30
PryncessLace
Mouseketeer

We went to the Pirate Museum and really enjoyed it. We also went to the Tortuga store for Rum and Rum Cakes and into a few of the designer stores.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: