Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #76
sweeteypie1118
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
Just stopping in to say that I am loving your reviews. Thanks so much for sharing !!!
Thanks so much for taking the time to say so

This time...Port Orleans French Quarter

Ressies at Liberty Tree, Narcoossees, Tusker House Breakfast, Yak&Yeti, 50's Prime Time, HOB Gospel Brunch, Rose & Crown, Crystal Palace Breakfast, California Grill, San Angel Inn, Biergarten, Dine w/ Imagineer Brown Derby, Via Napoli, Kona Cafe,TT Dessert Party
sweeteypie1118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #77
sweeteypie1118
DIS Veteran

California Grill

More than half way through our trip, and we had had some pretty great meals. This was our first time at California Grill. We arrived at the Contemporary a little early, so we browsed around a little first before checking in for dinner.

I had to stop and buy a cookie of course

We checked in and were seated quickly. I can't remember our server's name but he was fabulous. He was an older gentleman and had been working there for quite some time. He was on top of everything. Not in an annoying, always in your face when your mouth is full way though

Brick Oven-fired Flatbread

Bacon Cheeseburger . . . Wagyu Beef, Tillamook Cheddar, House-made Dill Pickles, Florida Tomato Ketchup

This is what my son ordered. It was a HUGE serving for an appetizer. He loved it. I snuck a piece(or two) off his plate. It was really very good.

Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli . . . Sun-dried Tomatoes, Pesto, Shiitake Mushrooms, Basil

This was my choice. I had to try it after reading so many good reviews for it. It did not dissappoint! It had a perfect balance of flavors. The goat cheese wasn't too overpowering.

Crispy Rock Shrimp Salad . . . Asian Pear, Red Onions, Soy Reduction, Wasabi Cream

This was DH's choice. I am not a shrimp fan, but he loved this.

Oak-fired Filet of Beef . . . Buttered Purple Stokes Purée, Citrus-glazed Carrots, Teriyaki Barbecue

This was my choice. I couldn't decide between this and the pork tenderloin since I had heard such good things about both, but I talked my son into getting the pork, so all bases were covered
This was AMAZING!!! It was the best filet of the trip, and I had a lot of filets!! It had a nice char on the outside, and perfectly cooked on the inside. The sauce was fantastic. The purple potatoes were delicious!! I never heard of a purple stoke, but just looked it up, and it is a sweet potato. I was thoroughly delighted with my meal.

Grilled Pork Tenderloin . . . Goat Cheese Polenta, Roasted Mushrooms, Zinfandel Glaze, Crispy Sage

This was my son's choice. Ok, I talked him into it! I am so glad that 1. I "suggested it" and 2. He was already pretty filled up on flatbread! This was another AMAZING dish!! The pork was cooked perfectly. It was so tender, and not at all dry. The polenta was delicious!! I wish I had a big bowl of it. The sauce was delicious too! My son really enjoyed it also, so don't go feeling bad for him that mom talked him into this

Veal Chop . . . Creamy O’Henry Sweet Potato Hash, Wild Mushroom, Root Spinach, Chimichurri

DH was also in love with his dish. I tried it (of course) and it was very good. I wouldn't give up my filet or the pork for it, but still, very good!

Bananas and Caramel
Crispy Baked Phyllo Squares Layered with Banana, Mascarpone Mousse, and Caramelized Banana

YUM! This was my dessert. I love banana. This was creamy and delicious. This was nice and light too. Not light in calories, of course, but light in the fact that it went down easily to my already overstuffed stomach

Valhrona Chocolate Cake
Warm Chocolate Cake with Molten Center, Gianduja Ice Cream, and Frangelico Sauce

This is what umm....was placed in front of my son. I must admit that although my son is an adventurous eater, he pretty much only likes ice cream for dessert and the kind mom I am told him he is not getting vanilla ice cream for dessert every night when there are all these amazing desserts for us(ME) to try when you can get ice cream for a snack credit everywhere I'm not a huge molten cake fan, but this was very good. My son did eat the ice cream, and had some of the cake.

Brown Sugar Spice Cake
Pumpkin Panna Cotta, Cranberry Compote, and Warmed Pumpkin Ganache

This is what DH got. It was pretty good. It would have been better if it was a little moister.

I'm disappointed that the pics came out kind of crummy for this meal and didn't do the food justice. This meal was fantastic from beginning to end. If I could combine my filet and purple potatoes, with the lobster tail from Narcoossees, their cheese plate, and yummy sourdough bread with the delicious Hawaiian pink sea salt butter, and this banana dessert, I think it would be the best meal I could imagine. Plus a side of pork and polenta

I would most definitely eat here again and very highly recommend it to everyone. Someone in your party must get the pork or filet. Preferably both!

Ressies at Liberty Tree, Narcoossees, Tusker House Breakfast, Yak&Yeti, 50's Prime Time, HOB Gospel Brunch, Rose & Crown, Crystal Palace Breakfast, California Grill, San Angel Inn, Biergarten, Dine w/ Imagineer Brown Derby, Via Napoli, Kona Cafe,TT Dessert Party

Last edited by sweeteypie1118; 12-07-2012 at 09:07 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #78
aceys_h0ney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeteypie1118 View Post
I'm not sure I would do deluxe again because I felt constantly stuffed and was swigging pepto and popping tums the whole week and a half, but I am glad I did get to try so many signature restaurants.
Yeah that's a downside for sure.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #79
Rumpletinker
Mouseketeer

California Grill will be closed in April when I am hoping to go down. I am so bummed.

Mamma Mia! The ravioli! The pork and polenta! The Valhrona chocolate cake!
2010- Caribbean Beach (w/cousinbb)
2011- All Star Sports (w/cousinbb)
2011- Pop Century
2013- Port Orleans Riverside
Hey you! I'm into JESUS!

Rumpletinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #80
Leslieann1024
Mouseketeer

Your reviews are wonderful - between pics and narrative, you really know how to convey your opinion !
Leslieann1024 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:41 AM   #81
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Love the reviews!
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #82
sweeteypie1118
DIS Veteran

Thank you all so much for the very nice comments

Old 12-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #83
sweeteypie1118
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpletinker View Post
California Grill will be closed in April when I am hoping to go down. I am so bummed.

Mamma Mia! The ravioli! The pork and polenta! The Valhrona chocolate cake!
Oh what a bummer!! Where else are you planning so far?

Old 12-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #84
Rumpletinker
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeteypie1118

Oh what a bummer!! Where else are you planning so far?
I'm hoping to do BOG, Le Cellier, Jiko, and Artist Pointe. Of course, I need a trip reservation first. Lol! Just waiting on a discount. >.<
2011- Pop Century
Hey you! I'm into JESUS!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #85
sweeteypie1118
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm hoping to do BOG, Le Cellier, Jiko, and Artist Pointe. Of course, I need a trip reservation first. Lol! Just waiting on a discount. >.<
Is Le Cellier going to be 2 credits for lunch too in 2013? That's what I read a few places.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #86
sweeteypie1118
DIS Veteran

Liberty Tree Tavern Lunch

I had one of my favorite meals here last year, so I knew I definitely wanted to come back again. This would be DH's first time here.

I love walking in here. It's so cozy and inviting. A nice break in the middle of the day.

They don't serve bread at lunch, but that didn't stop us from asking for it

We really liked the honey butter that is served with the rolls.

Crab and Spinach Dip For Two
Blue Crab, Spinach, and Cream Cheese with Warm Flatbread

DH and I split this since it was "for two" I had mixed feelings about this. It does not specify on the menu, but I had it in my mind that this would be a hot dip. I was expecting a gooey, cheesy dip. It was a cold dip, so I was a little disappointed. The flavor was good, and I liked the flatbread it came with, but I don't think I would get this again.

Tavern Fried Cheese
with Marinara Sauce

This is what my son got. Not much to say about it. It's your basic mozarella sticks. I was bummed they changed it from last year and did away with the curds. I really liked them!

New England Pot Roast . . . Our Tavern Keeper’s Favorite
Braised Beef in a Cabernet Wine and Mushroom Sauce served with Mashed Potatoes and Garden Vegetables

Dh and I both got the pot roast. I had it last year and loved it, so had to get it again! This really is a great dish. The meat is so tender, and has great flavor. The potatoes were creamy, and delicious.

Freedom Pasta
Fusilli Pasta with Sautéed Chicken, Seasonal Vegetables, and Mushrooms tossed in a Cream Sauce

My son's choice was the Freedom Pasta. I thought it looked a little dry when placed on the table, but there was plenty of sauce on the bottom to be mixed in to the pasta. He really liked this. I tried a few bites for reporting purposes I also thought it was very good. I expected it to be a little bland, but it was nice and cheesy and had good flavor.
Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake
Vanilla Cake with a Gooey Toffee Filling, Caramel Sauce, and Vanilla Ice Cream

My son and I both got this last year and loved it, so we both got it again this year and yup...still love it!

Johnny Appleseed’s Cake
featuring Ocean Spray® Craisins® BRAND

Tavern-made White Cake filled with Apples and Craisins® Dried Cranberries, topped with Ice Cream

DH got this. It was pretty good, but couldn't compare to the ooey gooey goodness of my dessert

This is still a favorite of ours, and will definitely be back.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #87
sweeteypie1118
DIS Veteran

Been busy baking for the bake sale at my son's school tomorrow, so haven't had time for any other reviews, but here are some pics of my cupcakes

Old 12-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #88
Rumpletinker
Mouseketeer

LTT looks really good! I had cheese curds for the first time this year and loved them. Too bad they took them off the menu :/. The toffee cake sounds scrumptious :

Your cupcakes are adorable! Love the snowflake one
2011- Pop Century
Hey you! I'm into JESUS!

Old 12-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #89
sweeteypie1118
DIS Veteran

Quote:
LTT looks really good! I had cheese curds for the first time this year and loved them. Too bad they took them off the menu :/. The toffee cake sounds scrumptious :

Your cupcakes are adorable! Love the snowflake one
Yeah, wonder why they took them off the menu. The curds made it special. You have to try the toffee cake. It is sooo good! Thanks for the cupcake compliment. Hope they all sell.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #90
sweeteypie1118
DIS Veteran

Citricos

This was another signature I was looking forward to trying. We didn't spend 20 minutes looking for it like we did for Narcoossees, so that was a plus!

Piña CoLAVA

Bacardi Razz Rum blended with Piña Colada Mix
and Raspberry Purée

DH decided to booze it up a little. I'm sure it wasn't because of the company It was quite tasty!

Arancini Crispy Risotto with Cremini Mushrooms, Asiago, and Charred Tomato Coulis

This is what my son got. He LOVES arancini. I got a tiny taste of this before it was inhaled. It's safe to say that it was a winner!

Cheese Course Trio Murcial al Vino from Spain  Fourme dAmbert from Auvergne, France  and

Petit Agour from the Basque region of France served with a Wild Strawberry and Balsamic Jam

This was my choice because I adore cheese. This wasn't my favorite cheese plate. It wasn't bad really, just that I had much better ones at Narcoossees, Yachtsman, and Jiko.

Panadas Spiced and Slow-cooked Beef and Pork in crisp Phyllo with Tamarind Sauce

I kind of "suggested" DH get this as an appetizer because I had read some good reviews about it. Neither of us were really thrilled with it. It was kind of dry. So far, my son was the winner in appetizer choices! I passed a table on the way to the ladies room, and of course checked out what was on their table..the Romaine Salad, and Butternut Squash Soup looked really good, and had me wishing we had ordered those instead.

Madeira-braised Short Ribs Trofie Pasta, Wild Mushroom Ragoût, and Truffle Crème Fraîche

This was my son's choice. He loved this also! I was able to steal a few bites. The short ribs were perfectly tender and delicious. The sauce and pasta was really tasty.

Berkshire Pork Two Ways Chermoula-rubbed Rotisserie Pork Tenderloin and Roasted Berkshire Pork Belly with Aged White Cheddar Polenta, Escarole, Bacon and Sherry Brussels Sprouts with Garlic Gremolata and Pecorino

This was my choice. I was on a mission to find pork belly! I had it for the first time in Vegas 2 years ago at Puck's restaurant in MGM. It was amazing! So, when pouring over menus before making ADR's, there were 4 restaurants that had it that I made ADR's for. This was the only retaurant that still had it on the menu by the time our trip came around
Unfortunately, I didn't care for this. The pork belly was kind of dry and not much flavor. The pork tenderloin would have been good had it not been for the sauce that was all over it that I really did not like. It ruined the polenta for me too. The brussel sprouts with bacon was really good though. I gave most of my meal to DH.

Braised Veal Shank Carrot-Potato Mash, Roasted Vegetables, and Toasted Citrus Gremolata

This was DH's choice. He was very happy with it. I had a little taste. The Veal was very tender and had a really nice sauce...unlike my pork

So far, my son was the winner here. He had a great app and entree. I was skunked twice , and DH liked his entree, but not crazy about his app.

Tropical Fruit Creme Brulee with Mango and Assorted Berries

My son ordered this..basically for me since he really only cares about ice cream. None of us liked this one too much. It was very heavy on the mango flavor and you really couldn't taste much else. It was very pretty though

Warm Chocolate-Banana Torte

This was my choice even though I'm not a huge fan of molten cake type things. I do love banana though, and it looks really cool, so I went with it It was very impressive looking, and pretty good considering, as I already said, not usually a lover of molten cake. I let my son have the ice cream since he was kind enough to order a dessert for me to try.

Tiramisu

DH is a big tiramisu fan, so had to get this of course. I only took a tiny taste since DH hates bananas and I couldn't offer him any of my dessert. Can you believe that? He hates peanut butter too! I love peanut butter Anywayyyy....we liked the tiramisu!

So, to wrap it up, we had some winners, and we had some losers here. Narcoossees, and California Grill were still at the top of our list. I would come here again though, and wouldn't discourage anyone else from eating here. It was a very nice restaurant, and we did have some very good dishes....well, they did.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: