Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #16
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroraarielella
the only meal three broomsticks takes reservations for is breakfast. We got our "vouchers" for breakfast at the universal desk in the HRH lobby (a ticket). Just so you know, slightly difft from Disney, where everything is loaded on your key to the world card, in the HRH there is the check in desk, the hotel concierge desk, and the Universal desk. The check in is exactly that, the concierge got dining reservations, airline check-in etc, the universal desk did park tickets etc.. You end up carrying more cards - hotel key, park ticket, hotel express pass (at a min) we also had breakfast vouchers one day. The lanyards are a necessity. They scan your hotel express pass at each ride entrance.
Thanks. That's useful to know.
I don't suppose you noticed how late the concierge and universal desks were manned until? We'll be arriving at the hotel around 5 in the afternoon and would love to sort out all our tickets and bookings that evening if possible. That way we can get going to the parks straight away the next day.

I'm SO excited about this trip. Initially Universal was just an added bonus to what was going to be a Disney focused trip. Now, I'm almost more excited about Universal due to the relaxing way we are going to be able to tour the parks. No queuing for buses, no commando-style touring, no waiting in extra long queues. Just enjoying time as a family. Can't wait. :-)
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #17
auroraarielella
Mouseketeer

At least 8:00. We landed around 5:30, had to pick up checked bags, and get to the hotel and check in, and then we were able to do our universal tickets, express passes, etc. I want to say 8:00, because my friend and her children landed around 7:30, and while she could check in (of course), there was no human at the universal desk by the time they arrived. They do have a kiosk. if you pre-purchased tickets, and have the same credit card with you, you can swipe the credit card and it'll spit out your tickets (didn't work for my friend due to a divorce/name change on her card between purchase time and swiping time. But the human straightened it out the next morning when the desk opened at 7:00 a.m.)

The express pass is all self-serve kiosks. Stick your room key in, smile, and it spits out an express pass with a bad b/w photo of you and your check in check out dates on it and a bar code. Like I said, they scan the bar code on the express pass at every ride.

1973-Contemporary - Wing; 1976-Contemporary - Tower; 1981-Contemporary - Wing; 1990-Carribean Beach - Trinidad South; 2003-All-Star Movies-Toy Story; 2003-All-Star Movies-Mighty Ducks; 2005-Beach Club Villas; 2008-Boardwalk Villas/Carribean Beach Resort - Aruba; 2010- Boardwalk Villas; 2012 - Hard Rock Hotel; 2013 - Boardwalk Villas; 2015 - Boardwalk Villas/Hard Rock Hotel (in planning).
auroraarielella is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #18
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
Thanks. That's useful to know.
I don't suppose you noticed how late the concierge and universal desks were manned until? We'll be arriving at the hotel around 5 in the afternoon and would love to sort out all our tickets and bookings that evening if possible. That way we can get going to the parks straight away the next day.

I'm SO excited about this trip. Initially Universal was just an added bonus to what was going to be a Disney focused trip. Now, I'm almost more excited about Universal due to the relaxing way we are going to be able to tour the parks. No queuing for buses, no commando-style touring, no waiting in extra long queues. Just enjoying time as a family. Can't wait. :-)
the front desk/check in counter, is open 24 hours a day.
for those that arrive around midnight at mco, they sometimes call ahead to let the hotel they will be arriving within the hour.
their ressies can be pulled up in advance and ready for them to check in when they arrive during the early morning hours.

if you do not like the picture on your express pass, redo it.
the button on the kiosk machine will ask, accept or retake.

i did 3 retakes before mine was printed.

the hotel concierge desk in the lobby, don't remember what time they close.
i did use them once around 10:30 pm in october but not aware of what hours they normally carry.

the front desk can handle what you need done though.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:44 AM   #19
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We have a 5 (almost 6 year old) so we won't be doing any of the big roller coasters and we will be spending quite a bit of time in the kids playground areas and at shows.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
The Express Pass can be used at the Barney show, FYI. We've forgotten about that each time, and I'm not sure we've ever encountered a queue for Barney that made us remember, but it can be used there. (my son is 8 and still likes the Barney show, though at this point I think it's more along the lines of "how can I torment my father" rather than "love that purple dinosaur!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
[I
again, bring your camera to get pics of your kids with spidey.

there is a photo system that UO has.
you can have pics taken by the UO photographers and order the prints they take.

i don't have the interest in it like others do but i could pull up the threads about it if you want to learn more about it.

it is a lot cheaper system than what disney have with their photo ops program for guests.[/I]

The one issue with the Spiderman pictures is that if you take it with your camera, you get the picture with a green screen behind them.

When THEY take the pictures, they add in the special effects, which look pretty cool. In retrospect, I would have bought the cool picture. Especially since, when I said "no, too expensive", they dropped the price by half.

Quote:

BTW, I just ignored my head, followed my heart, and booked the Hard Rock Hotel. It was the ease of being able to take my son back to the hotel for a midday nap that won me over in the end. I'm trying not to think too hard at present about the extra money I've just spent. Eeek - so excited!
Very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
keep checking your room rates at hrh.

if they drop, call and have your rate modified to the lower rate.

I like looking at this site to check out rates.

Quote:
He loved the first two, but we got half way through the third and stopped because the dementors were making him anxious.
There are big huge dementors on the ride, as you might now.

Quote:
I just measured my son and he is 49 inches without shoes. I'd say that in 9 months time, and with shoes, he'll be topping 50inches. Most people struggle to believe us when we say he's only 5.
WOW, he is tall! My son is 54" in shoes, and he's 8 and is considered tall. Then again, he's only 10" shorter than me so I make him look taller, LOL.

Kids 48" and above can go on rides (that they are tall enough for) alone at Universal, FYI. You get to decide if you guys are comfortable with that. My son used that at Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse Coaster at 6, I believe, and then on Flight of the Hippogriff at 7. Not sure if he would have been OK with it at 5, though! But I thought you should know about it in case a TM (Team Member) mentions it, not knowing that he's 5.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:28 AM   #20
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much to all 3 of you for your useful advice. You're all awesome!

I did know that there were dementors on the ride, but didn't realise they were huge. Eeek.
How close do you get to them? Is it like the Expedition Everest and Jurrasic Park Rides, where big scary things jump out at you? If so, my husband and I might be doing a parent-swap thing and riding alone. Can you do that on the FJ ride?
Old 12-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #21
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

yes, FJ has the child swap available.

let the TM know in advance you will be using the child swap.
it might shorten your wait in line.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:53 AM   #22
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven
yes, FJ has the child swap available.

let the TM know in advance you will be using the child swap.
it might shorten your wait in line.
Great. thanks :-)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: