Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
mickyminnie890
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - That is was all started by a mouse" ~ Walt Disney

Exclamation Snorkling Lagoon at Castaway Cay

Hello
My mom and I are planning to go to Disney cruise. I was wondering about the Snorkling lagoon at Castaway Cay. If your 14 can you snorkel alone or do you need to be accompanied by an adult?

Last edited by mickyminnie890; 12-08-2012 at 01:58 PM.
mickyminnie890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
neg58
DIS Veteran

It is pretty shallow in the part near the beach, and then isn't even very deep out near the sunken items. Anyone who swims can swim anywhere they want to in the roped off area.

Most swimming out to the farthest ropes were in groups, so usually at least one adult, but age isn't the question so much as swimming ability.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
mickyminnie890
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - That is was all started by a mouse" ~ Walt Disney

I meant 15 yrs. old, but I do know how to swim pretty good. I've taken swimming classes, just never been snorkeling before and willing to try when I go to Castaway cay.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyminnie890 View Post
I meant 15 yrs. old, but I do know how to swim pretty good. I've taken swimming classes, just never been snorkeling before and willing to try when I go to Castaway cay.

It's really fun. My 16 year old and I did it, and she took off in search of things without me several times. She got very good at diving down and not sucking in half the sea, but I'm not that coordinated. We did the stingrays first, then spent about 2 hours snorkeling.

We're going on a Christmas cruise and both girls will do the Teen extreme, which is biking, kayaking, and snorkeling.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I'm not aware of any age restrictions in the snorkel lagoon. If you bring your own equipment, you snorkel free (you must wear their safety vest which is available at no charge; you don't have to inflate it). If you don't want to bring your stuff, you can rent their equipment.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
mickyminnie890

Thank You so much, I am very excited. This is going to be the first time for my mom and I. I was thinking about the Teen Excursion that cost $35 dollars. But I'm more interesting in the snorkeling lagoon. If I go on a longer trip will try out the teen wild side adventure thing. Thank you once again and I'm looking forward to going for spring break.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
mickyminnie890

Help again, I selected the snorkeling activity on the website, and it says I need a parent with me? And it clearly says children under 13 must be accompanied by an adult. Didn't say 15 and under.

WDW - Lost count of how many times I've gone there.
Disney Dream-3/28/14, 6/26/14
Old 01-13-2013, 01:29 AM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyminnie890 View Post
Help again, I selected the snorkeling activity on the website, and it says I need a parent with me? And it clearly says children under 13 must be accompanied by an adult. Didn't say 15 and under.
You don't need to book this ahead of time. Just take your KTTW to the counter at Gil's to pick up equipment on that day. The good part of this is that they never run out of gear and if the weather is just "so-so" and you change your mind, you aren't stuck paying for the equipment anyhow.

If the weather is terrible, DCL won't charge you...but there's a difference between bad enough that they officially cancel excursions and charges and just icky enough that you don't feel like doing it.

There is no age limit that I'm aware of, other than the basic concept that swimming alone is never a good idea. That said, my cruise buddy doesn't snorkel, so I do it myself all the time at Castaway. There are lots of people and lots of guards. You might even meet someone from the Vibe who wants to go with you!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:07 AM   #9
AKMOUSE
Mouseketeer

Snorkel Fun!

And not sure if you know....but there are some neat 'hidden' items to look for in the snorkel lagoon. I had never done snorkeled before, we loved it.
We did get a sunburn on our backs. I would recommend one of those rashguard shirts. My kids had them one and they were fine.
Have fun!!
Dream, March 2012

Aulani: October 2013
AKMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: