Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #31
goofyfigment
DIS Veteran
 
goofyfigment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,161

Sorry i hit send too soon. Do you have to sign a release to feed the dolphins
__________________
1984 First Visit Off Site 1987 Off Site 1996 All Star Sports 1997 Howard Johnson Enchantedland 1998 The Spas @ Resort World 2001 Westgate Towers and HRH 2007 Sheraton Vistana Villages and HRH 2008 Parkway International and RPR 2009 All Star Sports 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas 2011 Club Seville 2011 All Star Sports 2012 Sheraton Vistana Resort and Windsor Hills 2012 Westgate Leisure Resort and POP 2013 Westgate Vacation Villas 2013 Birthday trip Royal Pacific 2013 Portofino Bay 2013 POP 2013 All Star Movies 2014 Wilderness Lodge Villas 2014 Vacation Villas At Fantasyworld2014 Boardwalk Villas2014 Vacation Villas At Fantasyworld2014 Bay Lake Towers2014 Wilderness Lodge Villas2014 Saratoga Springs
goofyfigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #32
Luv2CtheMouse
DIS Veteran
 
Luv2CtheMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,389

I am sorry this happened to her, but to seem shocked that a dolphin could bite while dangling a fish for him??.....DUH! I am sure the family will sue...

I hope the little girl is ok.
__________________
Heading home again in August/September 2013 - 26 Days in Disney
Pop Century - November 2013
BLT Christmas - 2 weeks - December 2013
Luv2CtheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #33
Escape Artist
Planning another getaway
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cypress, Texas
Posts: 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2CtheMouse View Post
I am sorry this happened to her, but to seem shocked that a dolphin could bite while dangling a fish for him??.....DUH! I am sure the family will sue...

I hope the little girl is ok.
You need to watch the video. After the girl was *finished* feeding the dolphins, she lifted up her paper tray where the dolphin could see it. Lifting the trays is against the rules, and incited the incident.

We don't like to blame children for their immature actions, but she did wrong and the dolphin behaved predictably. My dogs at home would do the same thing.
__________________
WDW: Eight trips since 1989; hoping to visit dd in the College Program next spring!
DL: 1988-2008, too many times to count
2nd Disney cruise coming up in November, 2015. Yippee!!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Escape Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #34
angelmom27
DIS Veteran
 
angelmom27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PSL, FL
Posts: 1,624

That part that makes me think they will sue is at the end when they are trying to hide the camera and move her hand in front of it. You can hear them say we just want to see what it looks like. Yeah so you can have evidence to try and sue.
__________________
angelmom27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #35
angelmom27
DIS Veteran
 
angelmom27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PSL, FL
Posts: 1,624

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyfigment
Sorry i hit send too soon. Do you have to sign a release to feed the dolphins
No there is no release to feed the dolphins.
__________________
angelmom27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #36
RabFlmom
DIS Veteran
 
RabFlmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Space Coast
Posts: 1,772

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmom27 View Post
No there is no release to feed the dolphins.

I am trying to remember what the signs say when you buy the fish.....buying the fish may imply the consent.
Was looking for a picture but so far none of the sign s found.
__________________
Rabflmom
RabFlmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #37
Capt_BJ
So Many Times
 
Capt_BJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 1,602

I first fed the dolphins at Orlando Sea World nearly 35 years ago. The park was not new, & there were other SW parks b4 Orlando ... It is IMPOSSIBLE for me to believe that this is the first time a child has been accidentally bitten by one of these animals.

I work at an attration where we too have hand feeding of some large animals. Accidental contact happens - a lot!

So what's different?

YOUTUBE!

What are we going to do? Close down every petting zoo because the goats chew loose shoe laces?
__________________
Captain BJ

WDW more than I can count incl EPCOT opening
40+ cruises including
DCL x 7 incl inaugural years of Magic and Wonder
retired 29 yr USCG, 12 years at sea, 4 in Command
Capt_BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #38
trouttigger
Mouseketeer
 
trouttigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 575 miles from WDW in Georgia
Posts: 151

When I watched the youtube video, at the end, another video of another girl being bitten came up. So, no, not the first time. I watched it also, and it was another example of a child acting thoughtlessly and not being corrected by the parent.
__________________
Trouttigger

AS Music - Feb. 2000
AS Music - Jan. 2009
Port Orleans Riverside - Dec. 2011
Discovery Cove & SeaWorld - Dec. 2012
Coronado Springs - Dec. 2013
trouttigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #39
Jenny3
DIS Veteran
 
Jenny3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: outside Philly
Posts: 638

Wow. I sure do hope the girl is okay, but this would not have happened if she would have followed the rules! Or if the parents made sure she did.

I find it ridiculous that the parents are saying there should be an age limit on this attraction. Their daughter was 8. Not 2, FCOL. An 8 y/o is old enough to understand rules, follow directions and have respect for the animals. Which is what this is. An animal. With teeth.

I really hope they don't sue.

Edited to add that after watching the video again, it bugs me that the mom tells the girl that "we won't show anyone" her hand after the girl doesn't want to. Then puts it on youtube. Jerk
__________________
DD 17 DD 9 DS 3

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood

Last edited by Jenny3; 12-08-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #40
Capt_BJ
So Many Times
 
Capt_BJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 1,602

I find it redic' that major news organizations flew the family to New York to appear on TV and sensationalize the non-issue . . . the family has already made a profit from their st ...... sorry change that to actions.
__________________
Captain BJ

WDW more than I can count incl EPCOT opening
40+ cruises including
DCL x 7 incl inaugural years of Magic and Wonder
retired 29 yr USCG, 12 years at sea, 4 in Command
Capt_BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #41
PetePanMan
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 342

dolphins are viscious and will kill if given the opportunity. They are very patient and will wait for you to lift your tray
PetePanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #42
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran
 
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada, Eh!
Posts: 6,539

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePanMan View Post
dolphins are viscious and will kill if given the opportunity. They are very patient and will wait for you to lift your tray
Just out of curiosity......was this said jokingly, or were you serious? On the internet, its often hard to tell if someone is speaking tongue-in-cheek or from the heart.

Certainly all wild animals should be respected. When humans are interacting, they need to exhibit a large degree of care to ensure not only our own safety, but also that of the animal. I would demonstrate the same amount of care around a cat or a dog of whom I am unfamiliar with their temperment. I have also been the recipient of a good scratch or bite from a certain fluffy feline whom I know like the back of my hand.....because she's an animal. And well, sometimes (gasp!) she acts like one. In her OWN DEFENCES. Not necessarily to "attack" or with the intent to purposely harm.

I honestly don't believe that the dolphins in the SW feeding pool are simply vicious killers waiting to snag their next victim when the unwitting human inadvertently waives an empty fish tray in the air. I think that poor dolphin was as excited as the little girl and took the opportunity to snatch at the tray in search of more fish. I think that dolphin was guilty of being a glutton, but not of a vicious attack.

Can they (or would they) kill in other circumstances? I have no doubt. But in this controlled habitat? I cannot think that SW would put ANY dolphin in that situation that has exhibited aggressive behaviour. It would be senseless for them to set themselves up for that kind of liability.

Dolphins have much more reason to fear vicious humans than the other way around, IMHO. Our species seems to be the more dangerous of the two.
__________________
Gina and her two guys ...conquering awesome Orlando, one offsite attraction at a time!

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! Visit my trip report in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899


Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #43
CAStevens218
DIS Veteran
 
CAStevens218's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 695

When we fed the dolphins a few years ago, I couldn't even being to count how many times they announced not to lift the tray. The poor employees working the attraction spent the whole time telling people to put their trays down...even after they were told multiple times! People just don't listen...it was unbelievable!

Maybe they could put some kind of permanent container there and fill each one with fish before the feeding time, that way they couldn't pick it up?
__________________
~**~**Christin**~**~

November 1997 All Star Sports * January 2009 Pop Century * December 2010 All Star Music * January 2012 Pop Century * July/August 2012 Port Orleans Riverside/Beach Club * February/March 2013 All Star Sports/Art of Animation

Are You Sure That Snow is Fake? December 2010 Trip Report
We Are Flying 1000 Miles to Run 13?!? January 2012 Trip Report
This Relaxation Thing Looks GOOD On Us!! July/August 2012 Honeymoon Trip Report
I'm Just SO HAPPY To Be Here!!! February/March 2013 Trip Report - IN PROGRESS!
CAStevens218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #44
angelmom27
DIS Veteran
 
angelmom27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PSL, FL
Posts: 1,624

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAStevens218
When we fed the dolphins a few years ago, I couldn't even being to count how many times they announced not to lift the tray. The poor employees working the attraction spent the whole time telling people to put their trays down...even after they were told multiple times! People just don't listen...it was unbelievable!

Maybe they could put some kind of permanent container there and fill each one with fish before the feeding time, that way they couldn't pick it up?
I was thinking the same thing. Like a small bucket that could hang from a hook attached to the wall. Also would cut back on waste of throwing away a thousand little paper containers.
__________________
angelmom27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #45
PetePanMan
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
Just out of curiosity......was this said jokingly, or were you serious? On the internet, its often hard to tell if someone is speaking tongue-in-cheek or from the heart.

Certainly all wild animals should be respected. When humans are interacting, they need to exhibit a large degree of care to ensure not only our own safety, but also that of the animal. I would demonstrate the same amount of care around a cat or a dog of whom I am unfamiliar with their temperment. I have also been the recipient of a good scratch or bite from a certain fluffy feline whom I know like the back of my hand.....because she's an animal. And well, sometimes (gasp!) she acts like one. In her OWN DEFENCES. Not necessarily to "attack" or with the intent to purposely harm.

I honestly don't believe that the dolphins in the SW feeding pool are simply vicious killers waiting to snag their next victim when the unwitting human inadvertently waives an empty fish tray in the air. I think that poor dolphin was as excited as the little girl and took the opportunity to snatch at the tray in search of more fish. I think that dolphin was guilty of being a glutton, but not of a vicious attack.

Can they (or would they) kill in other circumstances? I have no doubt. But in this controlled habitat? I cannot think that SW would put ANY dolphin in that situation that has exhibited aggressive behaviour. It would be senseless for them to set themselves up for that kind of liability.

Dolphins have much more reason to fear vicious humans than the other way around, IMHO. Our species seems to be the more dangerous of the two.
sorry, just kidding
PetePanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright Š 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.