Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
nonzerosum
DIS Veteran

Direct Flight---Magical Express

We have a direct flight YEG-MCO and I'm wondering if we need to claim our luggage for customs purposes at MCO prior to boarding the Magical Express. We've always had a connecting flight in Chicago, so we haven't needed to claim our luggage at MCO. If we do need to claim our luggage, who do we give it back to so that the Magical Express will pick it up and deliver it to our room?
nonzerosum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
ABCanada
Mouseketeer

Unless things have changed, you can confirm with EIA, US customs is closed in Edmonton when this flight leaves so you do need to clear customs at MCO.

If you have to wait for your luggage anyway I would just take it with me on the ME bus. If your room is not ready when you arrive you can leave your luggage at the bell desk.

We always do carry-on so do not take advantage of the luggage service so cannot comment on that.

Last edited by ABCanada; 12-06-2012 at 09:34 PM.
ABCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
nonzerosum
DIS Veteran

Thanks for responding. I called EIA and US customs closes at 6 pm so we'll need to clear customs in Orlando. Kind of a bummer after a red-eye, especially because we apparently need to go through another security clearance again after clearing customs. Can I just say again, YEG SUCKS!!
nonzerosum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
ABCanada
Mouseketeer

We were concerned as well but it went very quickly. Much easier than Edmonton.

Share your feeling about YEG. Part of the reason we are retiring to a community that flies out of YYC.
ABCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
Mike2023
DIS Veteran

What time does your flight land in MCO? If it was after 10pm you would have had to collect your bags anyways as I believe ME stops transferring bags after 10 anyways.

{1997 - July - CBR (First Trip)}{1999 - July - Off site}{2005 - June - Off site (Honeymoon)}{2006 - May - Off site (1 Year Anniversary)}
{2008 - April - AKL (3 Year Anniversary)}{2009 - May - AKL,POLY,POR (4 Year Anniversary/DD first Trip)}{2010 - Jan - BLT,AKV,POLY}
{2010 - Oct - BLT,BCV,AKL}{2011 - Aug - AKL}{2012 - Jun - PCC3.0,AKL,BCV}{2013 - May - AKL,DCL}{2013 - Oct - POP}{2014 - Mar - AOA,BLT,DCL}
{2015 - Feb - BWV (Daytonay500)}{2015 - Oct - Offsite,DCL,US (10th Anniversary)}
Mike2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
SmilingGrump
Dis Dads Club Member #584

Wow! I came here to ask this exact question since we're leaving out of YEG on Dec 29! Thanks for reading my mind and getting my question answered!
DL '77, DW '79, DW '00, DW '01, DW '06, Magic '08, DW '08, DW '09, Wonder '10, DW '10, Wonder '11, Aulani '12, DDC#1 (WDW '13)

me DW DD DD
SmilingGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Makes me glad to fly out of Seattle I've never heard of an extra security clearance on arrival after customs . Even when flying thru Canada and transferring thru Toronto where you have to collect your bags. Go thru customs then re-check bags for connecting flight. I never had extra security. Maybe it's changed. I avoid Canadian airlines for that reason. It's a pain.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Makes me glad to fly out of Seattle I've never heard of an extra security clearance on arrival after customs . Even when flying thru Canada and transferring thru Toronto where you have to collect your bags. Go thru customs then re-check bags for connecting flight. I never had extra security. Maybe it's changed. I avoid Canadian airlines for that reason. It's a pain.
It's not extra security it's just going through customs in MCO rather then in your home airport.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #9
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Did a connecting flight through Toronto Saturday night. They have changed it since I last flew through there in 2010 ( usually avoid it ) and they do have extra security after Customs. It was completely different from what we'd done before.

Had to head straight through Customs, without our bags, then collect our bags and show our declaration cards on the way out of the baggage collection area (I'm assuming that is the point at which they would search our bags, depending on what the customs agent marks on our cards), short walk down a hall to hand our bags over to be checked in again (no more moving belt) and then off to the regular concourse that leads to all the gates. At that point we did have to go back through security to get to our gate. Sounds confusing but I found it to be wonderfully painless, fairly well marked and all the agents helpful and friendly....kind of makes me rethink my usual routine of only flying carriers that I preclear out of Halifax on.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
OntFamily
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applemomma

Did a connecting flight through Toronto Saturday night. They have changed it since I last flew through there in 2010 ( usually avoid it ) and they do have extra security after Customs. It was completely different from what we'd done before.

Had to head straight through Customs, without our bags, then collect our bags and show our declaration cards on the way out of the baggage collection area (I'm assuming that is the point at which they would search our bags, depending on what the customs agent marks on our cards), short walk down a hall to hand our bags over to be checked in again (no more moving belt) and then off to the regular concourse that leads to all the gates. At that point we did have to go back through security to get to our gate. Sounds confusing but I found it to be wonderfully painless, fairly well marked and all the agents helpful and friendly....kind of makes me rethink my usual routine of only flying carriers that I preclear out of Halifax on.
Hi

If you are referring to security in Toronto, there has always been a security checkpoint after customs. This is because the customs area is not a sterile area (some travellers at USA customs have not yet been checked by security). The customs area contains a mixture of connecting passengers and passengers originating their flight in Toronto.

This is not abnormal for any flight with connections. If you leave a sterile area, you must again be checked by security.
OntFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #11
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applemomma View Post

Thanks for the info. Glad they got rid of that moving belt. I broke my toe last time I had to haul my bags up on it. The recessed cement wall area under the belt was black and so when I stepped forward to hoist bag on it I stubbed toe and broke it.
The guy who was supposed be taking bags was too busy chatting to a friend.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #12
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Glad they got rid of that moving belt. I broke my toe last time I had to haul my bags up on it. The recessed cement wall area under the belt was black and so when I stepped forward to hoist bag on it I stubbed toe and broke it.
The guy who was supposed be taking bags was too busy chatting to a friend.
I think I have you beat on that on well I didn't almost injure myself I did drop my passport on it, thankfully I grabbed it before it ended up who knows wear.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #13
thehowells
Mouseketeer

Quote:
we had to do this on our first trip down
flew from toronto, walked down a very long hallway, down the 45 ish stairs, passport check, pick up bags. put two kids 1.75 years old and 6 weeks old in stroller, go up elevator, and be met with security again?

i had to remove my shoes, belt (the button had broker off my shorts) so i hold my shorts, removing my son from the stoller and trying to fold it down, the security officer told me to hurry up, and i basically told him to f-off ( i got lucky, nothing more came of that)

we fly from detroit now

thehowells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #14
thehowells
Mouseketeer

Quote:
we had to do this on our first trip down
flew from toronto, walked down a very long hallway, down the 45 ish stairs, passport check, pick up bags. put two kids 1.75 years old and 6 weeks old in stroller, go up elevator, and be met with security again?

i had to remove my shoes, belt (the button had broker off my shorts) so i hold my shorts, removing my son from the stoller and trying to fold it down, the security officer told me to hurry up, and i basically told him to f-off ( i got lucky, nothing more came of that)

we fly from detroit now

thehowells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

We decided to fly via Minneapolis so we can get the customs side of things done before leaving Edmonton - I couldn't bear the thought of going through the customs thing when we arrive at midnight so changed our flights!!

7 weeks and we'll be away from this snow!!!!!!! Woohoo!
Canooknic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: