Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
katiegirl
Earning My Ears

Ticket/Airmile quandary

Hi all!!!
Our family (me, DH, DS 4.5, and DS 3) are going to WDW in 2 short months! We are staying 8 glorious nights, 1st night @ POP then we move over to AOA to a Cars suite for the remainder of the trip!!!! Anyways, one of the last things I need to sort out is my ticket situation. I booked our hotels using the room only discount and now I need to figure out the best and cheapest (while still being safe!!) way to get our tickets.

I will have around 2200 airmiles to use by January. I was going to redeem them for 1 child 5 day base pass and then use undercover tourist (thru the mousesavers link of course!) to buy 2 adult and 1 child 6 day park hopper passes. Then, I was planning on upgrading the airmiles pass to park hopper and add 1 day to it. This sounds so complicated but I am trying to save some money wherever I can!!!!

Do you think this plan will work or does anyone have an alternative plan of action? When should I redeem from Airmiles and/or order from UCT so that I can ensure that I get everything before Feb.6/13?

Thanks!

Off Site Feb.1988, Port Orleans French Quarter Feb.1992, All-Star Music Oct.2001, Caribbean Beach Resort Oct.2003, Pop Century May 2007, Fort Wilderness Cabins Dec.2010, Art of Animation- Cars Suite Feb.2013, Fort Wilderness Campsites -rented trailer Oct. 2014

katiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
sechelt
Mouseketeer

I just got my passes from AM. I ordered them online on November 25 and received the passes last week on Purolator.
sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
greenclan67
Callie35

I have about 3200 airmiles to use up. Can we not use them past January? If so I should be ordereing mine now I guess! Anyone know?

ME DH DD (12): DD We love good times!
2012 Cypress Pointe Grande Villas 13 days
2011 Cypress Pointe Grande Villas 12 days
2010 Cypress Pointe Resort 12 days
2009 Bonnett Creek 8 days
2008 Solano Resort 8 days
greenclan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
sechelt
Mouseketeer

I think the OP meant she wouldn't have that many AM's until January.
sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
katiegirl
Earning My Ears

I meant that I will have earned around 2200 airmiles by January and I need to use all of them on tickets for my trip in February. I think there is a five year expiry on airmiles but I might be wrong.

Off Site Feb.1988, Port Orleans French Quarter Feb.1992, All-Star Music Oct.2001, Caribbean Beach Resort Oct.2003, Pop Century May 2007, Fort Wilderness Cabins Dec.2010, Art of Animation- Cars Suite Feb.2013, Fort Wilderness Campsites -rented trailer Oct. 2014

Old 12-08-2012, 12:57 AM   #6
SunshineCruiser
Mouseketeer

Smile

Please don't cash in your air miles for tickets instead of flights before doing the math. If you use your air miles for tickets your 2200 air miles are worth far less per mile than if you save them and use them for flights. I hate to hear that people go to the trouble of earning their miles and then cash them in at a rate of say 7 cents per mile when they could be cashing them in for say 25 cents per mile. (My numbers aren't exactly right because I haven't worked it out for a while, but it really can make that much of a difference). Google it, check it out, its worth your time.
SunshineCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
Nahanni
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiegirl
Hi all!!!
Our family (me, DH, DS 4.5, and DS 3) are going to WDW in 2 short months! We are staying 8 glorious nights, 1st night @ POP then we move over to AOA to a Cars suite for the remainder of the trip!!!! Anyways, one of the last things I need to sort out is my ticket situation. I booked our hotels using the room only discount and now I need to figure out the best and cheapest (while still being safe!!) way to get our tickets.

I will have around 2200 airmiles to use by January. I was going to redeem them for 1 child 5 day base pass and then use undercover tourist (thru the mousesavers link of course!) to buy 2 adult and 1 child 6 day park hopper passes. Then, I was planning on upgrading the airmiles pass to park hopper and add 1 day to it. This sounds so complicated but I am trying to save some money wherever I can!!!!

Do you think this plan will work or does anyone have an alternative plan of action? When should I redeem from Airmiles and/or order from UCT so that I can ensure that I get everything before Feb.6/13?

Thanks!
Are you planning to eat at WDW, specifically any character meals or buffets? If you are, have you priced the Play, Stay and Dine offer with QS or upgrade to regular DDP?

Although we find DDP to be too much food, it does save if you are planning character meals.
Nahanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
FayeW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCruiser View Post
Please don't cash in your air miles for tickets instead of flights before doing the math. If you use your air miles for tickets your 2200 air miles are worth far less per mile than if you save them and use them for flights. I hate to hear that people go to the trouble of earning their miles and then cash them in at a rate of say 7 cents per mile when they could be cashing them in for say 25 cents per mile. (My numbers aren't exactly right because I haven't worked it out for a while, but it really can make that much of a difference). Google it, check it out, its worth your time.
Yes, but when you add the tax you have to pay for the flight, sometimes you can get the flight for cash for only a little bit more than the tax portion (if you can get a seat sale). For me, if I'm only going to pay $100 more per ticket than the tax I'm paying using airmiles, I would feel like I wasted my airmiles!
FayeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FayeW View Post
Yes, but when you add the tax you have to pay for the flight, sometimes you can get the flight for cash for only a little bit more than the tax portion (if you can get a seat sale). For me, if I'm only going to pay $100 more per ticket than the tax I'm paying using airmiles, I would feel like I wasted my airmiles!
Exactly. i would rather book my trip with marlin and use my airmiles to pay it off rather than use it for plane tickets.
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #10
katiegirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahanni View Post
Are you planning to eat at WDW, specifically any character meals or buffets? If you are, have you priced the Play, Stay and Dine offer with QS or upgrade to regular DDP?

Although we find DDP to be too much food, it does save if you are planning character meals.
I did the comparison and I really couldn't justify the quantity of food. We did the DDP last trip and I really didn't like the kid meal options. We are going to go OOP and we have only two table meals planned. We didn't really like to plan our days around where we were going to eat last time so this time we are going to wing it. We'll see how it works!

Old 12-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
katiegirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCruiser View Post
I am really a newbie when it comes to airmiles and definitely a newbie when it comes to booking flights. I'm sure there is a way I could get a bigger bang for my airmiles buck but I don't want to put the time and effort into figuring it out Maybe with our next trip I will have this whole thing figured out a bit better and hopefully will have more miles to play with as well. We'll see, thank you for the suggestions

Old 12-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
LauraLap
DIS Veteran

I have a 3 day base ticket that I got through airmiles that I'm willing to sell for 200 if anyone is willing Value is ~260.

I don't need it because we decided to go with DVC Premium Annual passes which I had to buy by Dec 31st....so I'm not able to upgrade.

Me , DH , DS (10), DD (9)

Recent Trips:
~2008 SSR & DCL~2009 AKV~2010 BWV~2011 AKV~2012 BCV~2013 BLT~2013/14 AKV~
Upcoming:
~ June 2015 - Disneyland Paris!
~ Oct 2015 - Halloween at WDW
LauraLap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #13
dave 2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FayeW

We got 4 flights Halifax to MCO with AC (return flight is direct) and even with tax and fees was 22.3 cents per mile. I didn't even think I could find flights this late during our March Break(1st week of March). Was a last minute decision since in- laws are already there so no cost for hotels for our 4 th teip to the World.

With money saved we are taking our 1st ever Disney Cruise on the Magic. AM are great if you can find flights during busy times.
dave 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #14
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCarrie View Post
Exactly. i would rather book my trip with marlin and use my airmiles to pay it off rather than use it for plane tickets.
From what I can see, you use 1000 points for $100 Marlin gift certificate up to a limit of 4 gift certificates. This doesn't sound like a very good use for the points either. Am I missing something? I'd love to use my Air Miles for Disneyland hotels.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #15
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
From what I can see, you use 1000 points for $100 Marlin gift certificate up to a limit of 4 gift certificates. This doesn't sound like a very good use for the points either. Am I missing something? I'd love to use my Air Miles for Disneyland hotels.
Depends. No set answer. You have to do all your Disney math.

If I can get a good seat sale for $1800 for 4 flights from Manitoba to Orlando vs paying $700 in taxes along with 12,000+ miles it's worth it to use it for Marlin instead.

16,000 = $1600 Marlin dollars
12,000= $1100 savings on my flights

Or fly from the U.S. for $1400 and use my Air Miles for my package, my car rental and my Universal passes.

I've done it both ways.

Last edited by CdnCarrie; 12-20-2012 at 09:50 AM.
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: