Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
HFJohnson
DIS Veteran

Our highs and lows - 2/12 - 4/12

We got back (eventually) on Tuesday night after a fun but tiring trip. Here's the traditional highs and lows...

HIGHS

* Seeing Dreams again. I could watch this over and over again. It was brilliant only having to wait until 7pm to see it, rather than 10pm like we did in May, and we got a great spot by the railings just across the road from the control building so we all got a good view without me having to hold anyone up. Plus the weather was dry and mild.
* The Christmas Cavalcade & Tree Lighting Ceremony. Both fab and the tree lighting ceremony brought a tear to my eye - so magical and Chante C'est Noel is now my favourite Christmas song!
* Someone on here very kindly sent me a spare under 7s Dream pass ticket which I was able to use even though I'd only bought Fantasy passes for me and DD. The free pushchair each day was a godsend as was the free luggage storage on the last day.
* The Cheyenne - love this hotel (although get to breakfast before 7.30!) and the themeing. I was planning on using the buses alot but we ended up walking back a few times as it's not far at all (especially as we were in Sundance which is one of the closest blocks to the park)
* Low queues on Monday and Tuesday. The parks felt busy but the wait times were short to non-existant. We only used fastpass once for Peter Pan and that was because we didn't want to queue for the 15 minutes showing on the board! BTM was about 10 minutes at around midday (although it helped that I'd remembered a tip about taking the left lane so we jumped a large part of the queue!). Pirates and Small World were a walk on the whole time on both days, as was Star Tours.

LOWS

* Getting our annual passes. OH. MY. GOODNESS. This took AAAAGES!!! I read reports of people being in and out in about 10 minutes so I was anticipating this being a quick detour on our way round the park but when we got there the queue was all the way out of the building, down the path and beyond. A CM suggested we came back at 9pm when it would be quieter but we were all so tired I decided to bite the bullet and get it done. It took about an hour and a half in the end My poor children were going crazy but I had no choice but to get it done.
* Our return journey on the Eurostar. When we arrived at Ebbsfleet the door wouldn't open and we couldn't get off! All of a sudden the train was pulling away from the station and there was nothing I could do. I freaked out at the train staff for a bit but it turned out ok in the end as we just went on to St Pancras and caught the Javelin train straight back again, which I was told they'd reimburse me for.
* My lack of energy. I hadn't been well the week before so wasn't feeling 100%. As a result I took things quite slowly and we didn't do as much as we could have done. Not the end of the world though - we'll be back.
* The second time we went to Salon Mickey they didn't have any of those chocolatey croissants left If you've ever had one you'll understand my disappointment!

Other Comments

* We took the Eurostar via Paris which was ok, and quite straightforward, but I don't think I'll do it again in a hurry. I didn't know that the RER ticket machines only accepted coins so I had to queue for the ticket office which took ages and waiting for the RER to get to Marne la Vallee was torture! I also missed the more cheerful atmosphere of the direct train. Only a small thing really but I missed that bit of the magic. Plus Ebbsfleet doesn't have all the Disney decor like Ashford.
* The free pushchair hire with the Dream pass was great but I was told I couldn't take it out of the park like you usually can, even if I left a deposit! They said it was because I only got one free hire per day which didn't make any sense at all
* I wanted to have breakfast in the park but was told they didn't do that after the end of September

I don't when we'll be going back as a family but I'm seriously considering a solo trip next year as I have my annual pass now. It's great fun with children but I'd love to take it at my own pace and spend more time mooching round shops, having leisurely meals etc without having to chivy anyone along or arguing over which ride to go on/not go on!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
jesuslovesyou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFJohnson View Post
We got back (eventually) on Tuesday night after a fun but tiring trip. Here's the traditional highs and lows...

HIGHS

* Someone on here very kindly sent me a spare under 7s Dream pass ticket which I was able to use even though I'd only bought Fantasy passes for me and DD. The free pushchair each day was a godsend as was the free luggage storage on the last day.

Did you use the free one day ticket for just 1 day or as a annual pass? I have 2 spare ones, but we go in 3 days !
jesuslovesyou is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
Carrie_Cat
I'm a Rive Gauche person

Location: sur les cases bleues du monopoly -1 mile from Disneyland Paris

Glad to see you had such a good time and I'd definitely try a solo trip

Re the AP office - you went on Sunday I guess...Sat/Sun it's 2-3 hours wait for some, weekdays it's walk in and walk out.

Re the RER machines they don't just take coins, some take notes and they take cards.

I was at GdN this pm picking up my Eurostar ticket and bought an RER ticket with a 10€ note and got change back.

If you go through there again head towards the RER E as there are loads of machines and then you can double back

ps - The pain au chocolate with nuts that you get in CM can also be got at Cable car bakery/cookie kitchen plus at Val d'Europe as they are not a DLP special but an Autogrill standard item

Vive la différence
Carrie_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
HFJohnson
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuslovesyou View Post
Did you use the free one day ticket for just 1 day or as a annual pass? I have 2 spare ones, but we go in 3 days !
All the tickets I had allowed us access to the parks for one day and we had to exchange them on that day for our annual passes.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
HFJohnson
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie_Cat View Post
Glad to see you had such a good time and I'd definitely try a solo trip

Re the AP office - you went on Sunday I guess...Sat/Sun it's 2-3 hours wait for some, weekdays it's walk in and walk out.

Re the RER machines they don't just take coins, some take notes and they take cards.

I was at GdN this pm picking up my Eurostar ticket and bought an RER ticket with a 10€ note and got change back.

If you go through there again head towards the RER E as there are loads of machines and then you can double back

ps - The pain au chocolate with nuts that you get in CM can also be got at Cable car bakery/cookie kitchen plus at Val d'Europe as they are not a DLP special but an Autogrill standard item
Wish I'd know about the passport queues - I might have reconsidered!

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind if I go via Paris again. I stopped at the first self service machine I came to at the bottom of the stairs but did see more later on as we walked towards the platforms.

Comments also noted re the croissants! They won't be free though like they are in Salon Mickey
Old 12-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
tinks_1989
need a like button

Oh no what a shame about the APs ours were so quick in September.

We were there Monday Tuesday as well and the lines were great. X
tinks_1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:10 AM   #7
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Welcome back hope you're feeling better now.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:47 AM   #8
zavandor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
* The second time we went to Salon Mickey they didn't have any of those chocolatey croissants left If you've ever had one you'll understand my disappointment!
Nooooo. Terrible!
I know what you mean, that one is the best croissant I've ever eaten. I'm going to DLP in two weeks only to eat it again (ok, not really ).
zavandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #9
tennisfan
Was told off for sliding down the banister at the SL
South Africa or California for me
Popped to the Boots

DISboards Moderator

Welcome back

Trips:
DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, October, 1994, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 1998, DLRP - Hotel New York, June, 1999, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 1999, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 2000, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 2001, Walt Disney Studios preview, February, 2002, DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, August, 2002, New York City, Easter 2004, DLRP - Hotel New York, August, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, November, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, September, 2005, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, Easter 2007, DLRP - Kyriad, June 2007 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2009 DLRP - Day trip, November 2009 New York City, February 2010 DLRP - Disneyland Hotel, June 2010 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, September 2010 Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010 DLRP - Day trip, January 2011, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, August 2011, DLRP - Day trip, January 2012, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2012, DLRP - Santa Fe, November 2012,
tennisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
KatieDisneyDarcy
Mickey's biggest fan

Quote:

* I wanted to have breakfast in the park but was told they didn't do that after the end of September
Oh no! I really REALLY wanted to do this when we go next week (woop!) as this is my first time staying in a DLP hotel and therefore able to take advantage of EMH at DLP (been about 15 times but ALWAYS offsite). I really wanted to get a late breakfast slot in the parks so we could hit some rides first thing and then chill out as everyone else rushes in
KatieDisneyDarcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #11
Carrie_Cat
I'm a Rive Gauche person

Location: sur les cases bleues du monopoly -1 mile from Disneyland Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieDisneyDarcy View Post
Oh no! I really REALLY wanted to do this when we go next week (woop!) as this is my first time staying in a DLP hotel and therefore able to take advantage of EMH at DLP (been about 15 times but ALWAYS offsite). I really wanted to get a late breakfast slot in the parks so we could hit some rides first thing and then chill out as everyone else rushes in
I'd ask as I know I've seen people eating in Plaza Gardens when I've been in at 8.30 for the EMH back in October.

Vive la différence
Carrie_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
KatieDisneyDarcy
Mickey's biggest fan

Brill I will do thanks!
KatieDisneyDarcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
HFJohnson
DIS Veteran

If you can't get breakfast in the park then I'd highly recommend breakfast at the DLH. It's not free of course but it's totally worth it. Having said that, we were told that we didn't have to pay when we went there in May and I also heard of the same happening to other people!
Old 12-08-2012, 05:49 AM   #14
figaro2
Mouseketeer

I'd recommend the dlh breakfast too and were another lot who didn't pay! There were 9 of us too so not just a few euros here, but apparently the till was already balanced when we went up to pay!
It's a gorgeous breakfast and will be a must do on our future trips x
figaro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:55 AM   #15
figaro2
Mouseketeer

* The free pushchair hire with the Dream pass was great but I was told I couldn't take it out of the park like you usually can, even if I left a deposit! They said it was because I only got one free hire per day

^^^
We used our dream passes for free pushchairs throughout our stay and one pushchair we just paid the deposit and kept it for the week, the other we just hired out as and when the kids were tired, and I didn't even keep the receipt between parks just went back up with the dream pass and got another and nobody said anything! Strange x

Edited to add - and this was only 3 weeks ago!
figaro2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: