Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #286
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

A Slice of Main Street USA

Wednesday October 17th

It was time to take in the sceneries of Main Street.

The castle from Fantasyland

As I passed through the hub, I of course had to pay homage to Walt and Mickeyís Statue.

A fun decoration they added for Halloween were the ďcarved pumpkinsĒ surrounding the statue of one Disney character representing each land.

Next I headed down towards Main Street and halfway down, saw the Dapper Dans performing and singing Halloween related songs. I donít think I ever stopped to watch the Dans perform before but it was a lot of fun.

Once the Dans finished with their performances, I noted that my iphone was about to run out of battery and since I had been using it to post live updates on this trip report, I had to get it charged. Main Street lockers actually have charging lockers for devices where you pay $2 per hour and it has two electric outlets inside the locker. It is located at the end of the alley where the market carts are. As I came out, I noticed these windows. They came with sound effects too. There was one where you can hear a guy typing away. Another one where a woman is giving piano lessons to a silent child who clearly is not grasping the idea of just simply going up the notes!

I went down near the park entrance and found the Disney Gallery. It was a lot smaller than I had anticipated and didnít take long for me to peruse through the paintings. They had an exhibition of various artwork involving all of the castles from each Disney park.

Next, I headed over to the Emporium to look for some gifts for the kids. I always feel overwhelmed when I enter the Emporium. There are soooo many items to browse through and I have a hard time using an organized approach to going through the store. I end up walking back and forth over the same sections. Anyway, I found a charm bracelet with Disney princesses for DD. Found a Buzz Lightyear laser gun for DS. Of course later it turned out DD also liked the laser gun and I was kicking myself for not getting two of those. Also found a couple of Halloween Mickey shaped candy apples.

Funny side story Ė I had these in my backpack on my flight back home from San Diego when I went through TSA. They had to open my bag and take a look at the candy apples because they appeared suspicious in the x-ray machine. I really wanted to get them cupcakes too, but didnít think these would transport well. I spent the rest of the hour walking up and down Main Street and looking at all of the pumpkin related decorations.

Have to say, the decorations for Mad Hatter store was my favorite! Checked in at the bakery to see if anything called out my name but didnít find one. Before I left Main Street, I picked up my iphone back from the charging station and headed to Star Tours.

Next Up: Star Tours, Snow White

All We Want Is To Spend Halloween with Mickey! October 2014PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

DaveinFallsChurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #287
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Great Main Street update! It looks so adorable all dressed up for Halloween. I love those pumpkins themed for the different lands! WDW has statues around the hub of the characters in costume, but those pumpkins are way cuter! It seems like DL really goes all out for Halloween!

Awesome find on the charging station. I didn't know they had those! And you can definitely drain an iPhone battery FAST in a Disney park.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #288
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Great Main Street update! It looks so adorable all dressed up for Halloween. I love those pumpkins themed for the different lands! WDW has statues around the hub of the characters in costume, but those pumpkins are way cuter! It seems like DL really goes all out for Halloween!

Awesome find on the charging station. I didn't know they had those! And you can definitely drain an iPhone battery FAST in a Disney park.
Those charging lockers are great! Wish they would install them at WDW as well.

Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 11-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #289
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Up a Lazy River by the Old Mill Run

Wednesday October 17th

It was 4pm and time to end my stroll through Main Street. I headed back over to Tomorrowland to use my FP for Star Tours expecting just a brief wait in line. However, even with the FP, the Star Tours wait was very backed up. I think I was in line for about 25 minutes.

Tried to pass the minutes with my iphone but cell reception in this particular building was not great. Got to skip ahead of 8 people when the CM shouted out looking for a single rider. I was a little disappointed that the sequence on the ride was nearly the same as I once again was sent to do some pod racing (and I donít like anything that has to do with Episode I period) and Bobba Fett and the Death Star. At the gift shop this time around, I noticed these two t-shirts which I thought was pretty funny. I recognized the one on the right with Vader as one of the scenes for the DL commercial for the new Star Tours when it first opened.

I walked back over to Adventure Land and walked by Jungle Cruise to see what the wait time was like.

Still at 30 minutes, so decided to put that off a little longer and went to New Orleans Square to browse through the stores.

This area turned out to be one of my favorite nooks in DLR. The themining between the buildings and shops are so tightly knit together. Took a quick look through the crystal shop looking at objects I didn't think I could afford.

Then stood and watched the Bootstrappers perform.

They were pretty good too. There was some Jack Skellington items on display at one of the stores.

Next up, I found my way to get aboard the Mark Twain.

I went all the way up to the top deck and stood in the rear.

A couple that was standing next to me asked if I could take a picture of them. I think I was asked to take pictures for other couples or families a lot more on this trip and Iím wondering if that was because I had my DSLR always out on my hip with the shoulder strap making people believe that I would be good at taking pictures more than I really am or that I was touring by myself without a family so I would be more free with my time. Didnít hear any complaints, but itís a bit awkward trying to take pics on those small smartphone since the shutter button is on the darn screen.

The tour around Rivers of America was tranquil and relaxing. It was getting close to sunset and I had a nice time reflecting on the day so far. Also came to the realization that my trip to DLR was nearly over. Got to get a look at the various structures on Tom Sawyerís Island. A family with a couple of young boys were with the captain, and they were given opportunites to blow the horn and ring the bell throughout the cruise.

That's Splash Mountain.

The Golden Horseshoe from the docks.

When I got off the ferry, I went and obtained a FP for BTMRR which I ended up not using.

I headed back to Jungle Cruise and now the wait time was only 20 minutes. So, I decided to get in line. Of all the rides I had been on, that queue had to be the most serpentine one and included a flight of stairs to go up and back down! The skipper was corny as usual but thatís how I like my cruise skippers. It was about 5:30pm so a lot of the views were darkened which gave a slightly different perspective than what I'm used to. The jokes were remarkably similar from MKís version. Although, we didnít go through a temple-cave in this one. Anyway, it was a classic that I had to try.

Of course, there was the Back Side of Water.

Don't like the way he's sizing up my head.

Next Up: Saying goodbye to DL

Old 12-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #290
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

A Soundsational End Part I

Wednesday, October 17th

I walked back to the hub and through the castle back in to Fantasyland.

Snow Whiteís Adventure seem to have a short line so I decided to go for it. It had been awhile since I last rode this attraction so thought it would be fun. I didn't get to go on this ride at WDW the last two trips we were there before it closed. It was a lot shorter than I remembered it to be. To me, the Evil Queen always felt like the center of the attraction which I think works great. The best part is the transformation of the Queen in front of the mirror Ė itís sort of like the worst before and after photoshoot EVER!

It was almost 6pm and I had one more ride left on my to-do list which was Alice in Wonderland. The wait times all day for this one had been near 30 minutes and I had been putting it off hoping it would go down a bit near the end of the day. As I approached the queue though, I began hearing some parade music along the route passing by the side of Alice and saw people lined up against the parade rope. Without trying and by sheer luck, I had stumbled upon the parade route for Mickeyís Soundsational Parade and the paradeís first float was about to pass by. So I decided to watch it. It was very similar to the MKís afternoon parade, Celebrate a Dream Come True. I had a good time watching. More recently, Iíve been paying more attention to some of the supporting castmembers of the parade as opposed to just focusing on the well known Disney characters. The amount of energy they bring to these parades are amazing whether its their dancing or interactions with the crowds. I was snapping away with my camera focusing on the dancers. And several of them would see me with my camera, and give me a pose lol.

As I saw the last float approaching, I turned around and entered Aliceís queue. I had been peeking over my shoulder throughout the parade and noticed that the line was getting shorter and shorter as everyone was distracted by the parade. So I was just ahead of the rush that ensued when the parade finished and all those people who had been watching decided to get in line for Alice. My wait time was just about 5 minutes. I had never been on this one either so this was enjoyable. The scenes involving the Queen of Hearts were classic.

Next Up: A Rosey Epilogue

Old 12-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #291
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Oops, somehow I missed an update!

I totally agree, I LOVE the New Orleans Square section of the park! It is all of the best things about New Orleans (the shops all tightly knit, the architecture, the charm) without worrying about stepping in horse poop or vomit.

Great pictures from the parade! We really enjoyed that one when we were in DL, and Paxton just loved dancing to the music on DH's shoulders. It was something we ended up stumbling upon too, and it made for a great memory from our trip! You are so right about the dancers, they really do an incredible job! You have to imagine they must be dying when it is a million degrees outside, but they still seem to put 100% into their dance moves and have a smile on their face!

I just loved the Alice ride too, it's so cute and classic Disney dark ride! You got some great photos in there as well!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #292
solana131
DIS Veteran

I missed an update too But I'm all caught up now. I love watching the dancers and support people in the parades. I am always in awe at how they just keep smiling the whole time through song and dance! Amazing!

Feb'12 TR: How do I go back to a world that doesn't have fireworks every night?
July'12 TR: July 2012. Yes it was hot. Yes it was crowded. Yes it was FUN!
August'13 TR: Mom...am I supposed to have shoes on??
solana131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #293
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

Just finished reading your TR(never read TR's) Excellent job and love the photo's. I also used an iPhone 4s for most of my photo's this last time. Very satisfied.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #294
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Oops, somehow I missed an update!

I totally agree, I LOVE the New Orleans Square section of the park! It is all of the best things about New Orleans (the shops all tightly knit, the architecture, the charm) without worrying about stepping in horse poop or vomit.

Great pictures from the parade! We really enjoyed that one when we were in DL, and Paxton just loved dancing to the music on DH's shoulders. It was something we ended up stumbling upon too, and it made for a great memory from our trip! You are so right about the dancers, they really do an incredible job! You have to imagine they must be dying when it is a million degrees outside, but they still seem to put 100% into their dance moves and have a smile on their face!

I just loved the Alice ride too, it's so cute and classic Disney dark ride! You got some great photos in there as well!
I'm actually even more in love with New Orleans Square now since a LA native like yourself likes it - which means it's pretty authentic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solana131 View Post
I missed an update too But I'm all caught up now. I love watching the dancers and support people in the parades. I am always in awe at how they just keep smiling the whole time through song and dance! Amazing!
It's so much fun to try to capture the support cast of a parade on camera. They interact and respond to the crowd so well. When we go back to WDW in January, I'm going to try to take as many pictures of the support cast for FotLK and Celebrate a Dream Come True!

Old 12-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #295
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post
Just finished reading your TR(never read TR's) Excellent job and love the photo's. I also used an iPhone 4s for most of my photo's this last time. Very satisfied.

Jack
Thanks for the kind words! I've been enjoying a lot of your pictures on the DL picture thread!

Old 12-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #296
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

So glad you got to finally visit Alice in Wonderland attraction! After seeing your photos, I can't wait to visit these old classic rides - esp Alice and Snow White! Great photography job!

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
heaven2dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #297
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
So glad you got to finally visit Alice in Wonderland attraction! After seeing your photos, I can't wait to visit these old classic rides - esp Alice and Snow White! Great photography job!
Thank you! Alice was definitely a treat since I dont think I've ever been on it before. Thought it was very well done.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #298
204charity
DIS Veteran

Hey Dave - great to catch up on your DL TR. Everything at this park seems so much more "manageable" as far as walking is concerned....of coarse, that could just be an illusion seen through the report - who knows?!
April, 2012 -Disney's Polynesian Resort
November, 2012 - Barcelo Maya Palace, Mayan Riviera, Mexico

Our Poly Dream Vacation - April, 2012 Trip Report
My Parents Gave US the World - A Poly Dream PTR
204charity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #299
DisSmis
Earning My Ears

Great trip report! It is getting me very excited for our October trip. We will have the same issue with my conference dates dictating our trip and I will nervously await the Halloween party schedule!
DisSmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #300
Briarrose1306
Mouseketeer

I just read up to date on your TR. thank you so much for sharing all your adventures. I'm doing my first solo trip the end of April and am a little nervous about some things. I've planned a couple character meals but am apprehensive about being solo and I don't have much solo dining experience to begin with. I can't wait for the next update!
Disneyland - BW Anaheim June/July 2013 First Solo Trip
Disneyland - DLH April/May 2013 Birthday Trip
Disneyland - BW Stovall's Christmas 2012 Family Trip
Disneyland - BW Stovall's October 2012 Little Brother's Birthday Trip
Disneyland - BW Stovall's July 2012 First Disney Trip with Boyfriend
Disneyland - BW Stovall's & Anaheim Valentine's 2012 Family Trip
Disneyland - BW Anaheim December 2011 Brother/Sister Trip
Disneyland - BWPPI May 2011 Father/Daughter Trip - The Beginning of the Annual Passport
14 Disneyland Trips between 1984-2010
Briarrose1306 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: