Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Tokyo Disneyland
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #31
disneyobsessed808
Mouseketeer

Day 8 - Tokyo Disneyland Part 1

The part you've finally been waiting for...TOKYO DISNEY RESORT.

I actually got to spend three days at the resort. The first two days at Disneyland and the third day at DisneySea. Andy didn't come with me on the second day, so while I could have hopped on the third day, Andy could not.

(For those not in the know TDR tickets are weird. If you have multiday passes, they must be used in consecutive days, on the first two days, you can only visit one park each and you have to pick them ahead of time, and only on the third day on, can you hop parks).

I chose Disneyland on the second day for myself, because Andy convinced me that there was more to do there. I kind of regret not going to DisneySea twice, but we got to go on every ride at DisneySea anyway.

So we actually got a late start. We had to make lunch the night before, since there is only one vegan option in the park and didn't want to eat there twice. In the process, we got into a huge fight that carried into the morning, so while we were up in time, our stubbornness prevented us from leaving early.

Anyway, we finally got to the resort around 10:30 am. It was a Sunday and it was CROWDED. There was a CM just outside Maihama station that was apparently announcing that tickets were sold out over his megaphone. Good thing we got them in advance. We entered the gates, where they have you scan your barcode, and were greeted by this frightful sight.

The Fairy Godmother is the SCARIEST CHARACTER EVER. She really should be a face character.

We walked through Main St---, erm, World Bazaar and headed for Tomorrowland. This should give you an idea of how packed it was.

The wait for everything in the area was insane. Monster's Inc was 2-3 hours. Space Mountain was 2 hours, but Space Mountain still had fastpasses, so we decided to line up for that.

Yes, that's the line to get the fastpass. After picking up our fastpass, we headed back through World Bazaar to go on over to Pirates, since that had one of the shortest waits at 40 minutes. (Andy was able to visit the Japanese Disney website version of Mobile Magic/Mousewait to find the current wait times. It's in Japanese only and requires you to answer a short survey apparently).

The ride is essentially the same as the Disneyland version with a few slight different scenes. Still it was nice to get on a ride. The queue, however, was deceptively long!

Also, it was nice to see the Christmas decorations, but for some reason I wasn't that impressed or I didn't care about them as much. I love decorations at Disneyland, but they didn't seem as impressive - possibly because I was more interested in the uniqueness of Tokyo Disneyland and also because Tokyo Disneyland is more spacious (in terms of walkways) and less intimate than Disneyland CA.

Back to the trip, we exited through the gift shop and saw these awesome little lego toys. I, just had to buy a Pooh one!

We walked through the rest of Adventureland (the real Adventureland portion and not the New Orleans square portion), and saw possibly the coolest holiday decorations.

Stitch is HUGE in Japan, even the Tiki Room is dedicated to him. (We did see that later). We also walked by Westernland. Didn't spend much time in the land since Big Thunder Mountain was closed (as was Star Tours, and Buzz...BOO!).

So we approached Splash Mountain and saw that there was a 2 hour + wait.

Fortunately, from reading other trip reports, I knew there was a single rider line. Andy was skeptical saying they only had it open on some days, but I pushed him to ask a cast member, and the single rider option was available, essentially, you just went through the fastpass line, and once they collected the fastpass tickets, you bypassed the rest of the regular line. There was NO ONE else in the single rider line, so our wait was only 15 to 20 minutes. Hooray! In fact, I ended up getting my own row (I wonder if it was because I am larger).

(The view from Splash Mountain).

Now the Splash Mountain here is slightly different from the DL version I am used to. First, they have a weird owl in the queue, who naps, only to wake up and give you warnings. Also, I feel like all the rooms in the ride are smaller and things are closer together. There are quite a few neat differences, that may be closer to the MK version. Finally, the ride is designed so you barely get wet, which to me, is the point of Splash Mountain. I guess its for the best as the Japanese visitors in the boat with me, did not like the mist that sprayed after the big splash.

Next up, we headed to It's a Small World, which was decked out for the holidays.

Normally, Andy would not wait for this ride in the US, but the waits for everything were so long that he just wanted to find the rides with the shortest waits and it was only 35 minutes long. In the line we ate our veggie sushi.

Another thing I noticed, especially for this ride, was that the single file line system/queue is not utilized as much here until you actually get in the building. Outside, they had just a general waiting "line" that was pretty much 7 people across. We had to watch other to make sure they were not cutting and that we were not cutting (okay, I was less careful about that).

Again, the ride was pretty similar to the Disneyland holiday version, pre-Disney characters. I think the water goes out further to the scenes, but it's still pretty similar and just as fun. As a side note, I told Andy that WDW didn't have the facade, and he was shocked, saying "The facade is part of the experience!" I concur!

Stay tuned for the next installment.

Anderson
Headed to Tokyo and Tokyo Disney Resort November 10-24, 2012. Check out my Tokyo Trip Report
Tokyo Disney Resort May 2009, Nov 2012
Disneyland Resort May 2000 (Disneyland Hotel), Jan 2001, Mar 2004, Oct 2005, Nov 2006, Annual Passholder with Monthly trips, 2007 to 2012
Walt Disney World 1987 (I was 2) Mar 1997, Jul 2002 (All Star Movies), May 2007 (Pop Century) and hopefully Sept 2013
disneyobsessed808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:22 AM   #32
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Sold out???

WOW! Busy day at the park. Remind me to avoid November in TDL!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #33
disneyobsessed808
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Sold out???

WOW! Busy day at the park. Remind me to avoid November in TDL!
I was really surprised. The last time I went was in the middle of Summer but it was much much lighter in terms of crowds.

Anderson
Headed to Tokyo and Tokyo Disney Resort November 10-24, 2012. Check out my Tokyo Trip Report
Disneyland Resort May 2000 (Disneyland Hotel), Jan 2001, Mar 2004, Oct 2005, Nov 2006, Annual Passholder with Monthly trips, 2007 to 2012
Walt Disney World 1987 (I was 2) Mar 1997, Jul 2002 (All Star Movies), May 2007 (Pop Century) and hopefully Sept 2013
Old 12-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #34
disneyobsessed808
Mouseketeer

Day 8 - Tokyo Disneyland Part 2

After riding It's a Small World, we headed over to the Pooh shop to do some shopping, then off to Toontown to explore a little more.

I had really wanted to see the Goofy's Paint and Play house, but the wait was 60 minutes long. I didn't want to see it that much, so we passed. It was pretty fun to see the Christmas decorations in Toontown.

(As a side note, we came on a Sunday to meet Andy's friends, but both of them flaked. Annoying! Especially since we could have gone Tuesday through Thursday instead, and we could have used our Rail Passes for the full 7 days instead.)

The wait for Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin wasn't too bad so we decided to get on that. It seemed to be essentially the same as the DLR version.

We then headed through Tomorrowland, and stopped by Tomorrowland Terrace to get some fries. Literally, the only other thing Andy could eat that was a quick service option. I also got a soda - I love how their large sodas are American small sodas. I also like the different flavors of sodas - though I wish they had diet soda in Japan. We continued to walk through the park, passing by the castle to go on Haunted Mansion Holiday.

So we got into the 2 hour line for Haunted Mansion Holiday. Thankfully, the Santa Village parade stopped right as we got into the line, so we were able to enjoy that for the first 20 - 30 minutes. I'm personally not big on parades, but it was a nice distraction from just waiting.

One thing I thought was interesting was the different characters they have at Tokyo Disney. The Three Little Pigs have their own float. Why?! Are they popular there? They aren't particularly cute IMO. They even have mugs and other merchandise dedicated to them.

Finally, after hours of waiting we finally got onto the ride

The ride itself is pretty much similar to the DL version, though it has more rooms like the WDW version. There are a few added touches because of the additional rooms, and Jack and Sally make an appearance at the beginning of the ride. The Jack and Sally animatronics there are really great. I do miss the Gingerbread House that DLR does.

After that we decided to shop a bit, as we waited for the Electrical Parade to start so we could get onto Pooh with a shorter wait.

Stay tuned for the rest of the day!

Anderson
Old 12-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #35
disneyobsessed808
Mouseketeer

Day 8 - Tokyo Disneyland Part 3

So we did some shopping, since we had about 1.5 hours to kill before the Parade started at 7:30 pm. We walked around World Bazaar and Fantasyland to see if there were any cool souvenirs we could find...which we did, so I'll include a post later. We thought about going to see Philharmagic, as I fell asleep in the show when I went to Disney World and never got to see it. But I wasn't familiar with the show, and they didn't have English translation (I went to see it the next day and found out it wasn't really needed.)

Ten minutes before the parade was about to start, we headed on over to Pooh's Hunny Hunt. While the wait was well over two hours for most of the day, since so many people watch the electrical parade, during that time it was only 45 minutes (even going down to 35 minutes at one point).

The queue for this ride is awesome sauce! It's like you're walking into a beautifully illustrated book.

I told my mom that the Pooh ride is the best ride in both parks, in my opinion. She was saying "How could that be?". Well, as many on this board know, it really is an awesome ride.

When you get in the hunny pot, the ride is NOTHING like the pooh rides in the states. They are trackless ride vehicles, and it's almost like their dancing with one another. The scenes are so much more vivid and visually appealing than the scenes in the US versions, and they include some fun surprises that go wayyyyy beyond any other dark/fantasyland type ride. It is really a travesty that the US went the cheap route with their versions, because they do not even come close.

Naturally as you exit the ride, you come into a gift shop with TONS of pooh stuff. I remember when Pooh's corner at Disneyland had mostly pooh merch, but even then it didn't come close to the shopping nirvana this place was.

There were so many Pooh things, that I could hardly decide what to buy. Of course I got myself a few things. I did want to buy some plushes, but the plush toys there are CRAZY expensive. 1500 yen for a beanie baby sized plush!? No thanks. One of the things I did get was this awesome hat which I ended up wearing for the rest of the trip. I will definitely be wearing it on my next trip to DLR.

After Pooh we did some more exploring. I was kind of surprised by some of the merchandise they had in Westernland, including some tomahawks and kokopelli.

We decided to watch the Tiki Room with Stitch. Now, Andy knew what they were saying but I really had no clue as to what the story line was. However, it did seem like a very fun show.

We saved the most popular or rather generally longest wait for last. Monster's Inc Ride and Go Seek. It was about 9:15 when we got in line, and the wait was about an hour, so it wasn't too bad. We went on the ride during my previous trip to Japan, and figured since the ride was a bit older now, that there would be less demand. NOPE. Still mostly 2 hours+ all day.

The last time I went on this ride, I didn't quite understand the point of the flashlights. But this time the explanation video in the queue helped me figure out what you were supposed to do with them and once you got on the ride, you could tell which flashlight you had, because each light had a unique character being beamed out (like the batman signal, but with mike, sully, boo, or roz, etc). Knowing this improved the experience so much. I've read that some people think the ride is no better than the DCA version. NONSENSE! Like the Pooh ride, it is much better than its California counterpart. Not only does the interactivity make it a unique ride each time; the animatronics and set design are top notch. A small example - their mouths move with their dialogue, something you don't find in DCA's version. I really love this ride, and it is a close second to Pooh for me.

Once we got out of the ride, the park was closed. We headed down World Bazaar and headed back to the apartment.

Up next: Day 9 - Tokyo Disneyland

Anderson
Old 12-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #36
PrincessInOz
in

WOW! Those merch of Pooh looks amazing. Love the hat, too.

Interesting to see that you think some of the TDL rides are so much better than those in the US. Keep it coming. It's a compelling argument to go visit Tokyo.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 12-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #37
disneyobsessed808
Mouseketeer

i've been slacking. sorry, everyone! just been busy with holiday shopping and went on a trip to vegas last week.

Anderson
Old 12-19-2012, 03:36 AM   #38
PrincessInOz
in

No rush....when you're ready.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #39
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Really enjoying your review!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #40
disneyobsessed808
Mouseketeer

Day 9 - Tokyo Disneyland

And I'm back.

Sorry for the delay in posting. I've been traveling even more. Went to Vegas, then Hawaii for Christmas, and Disneyland for New Year's Eve! It's been a fun month for travel.

I will now pick up where I left off and try to remember as much as I can based on the pictures.

On Day 9, I actually headed into Tokyo Disneyland by myself. It was my first time going anywhere by myself in Japan, though fortunately, I didn't get lost. (Though I did get onto the wrong platform and onto the wrong train at first. Good thing I realized it before the train left).

I arrived at TDL around 7:30 and the lines were pretty much full to get into the parks. The park opened at 8:30 that day, and guests of the hotel were allowed in at 8:15, I guess.

The first thing I did when I got in the gates was to sprint to Monster's Inc for a fastpass. I got to the fastpass line at 8:35, and this is what I saw

Five minutes in and two hours later already, with a 60 minute standby. CRAZY.

After that I did a lot of slow, lazy touring with many breaks. My feet were absolutely killing me at that point from so much walking in Japan. I'm a big guy with big feet and the touring was taking its toll.

I did decide to buy a Donald Philharmagic popcorn bucket, giving up on finding a Pooh bucket. The only other buckets I saw were the Snowman and weird Stocking bucket. I was super bummed that they didn't have a Pooh bucket for sale

I do love the popcorn they have there, especially the shoyu butter and strawberry flavor in TDS.

After that, I did a lot of wandering around just taking in the sights, taking pictures of some of the Christmas decorations. I went on the train ride, which was a nice pleasant diversion. The train doesn't go around the entire park and you get on/off at the same point due to Japan's transportation laws.

There are some really nice views of the River and Westernland from the train.

I then headed back into Tomorrowland to redeem my fastpass for Monster's Inc. I really love this ride. It is so well done and fun.

After even more walking around, I headed outside of the park to check out the Ikspiari and Disneyland Hotel.The hotel is beautiful. I also took a picture of the trams which were decorated with Toy Story Midway Mania decals

I ate lunch at the Buffet in the hotel. It was okay, but the variety was sort of small. I headed to Ikspiari mainly to visit the Disney Store there and see if they had vinylmation trading. No dice, but it was fun to walk around the area.

I then walked back through the park to go to Tom Sawyer and picked up a Strawberry and Cream bun...pretty yummmy!

Next up was Tom Sawyer Island. The Tom Sawyer Island at TDL is a lot more fun than the one at Disneyland. In fact, the one at Disneyland does not even compare. I don't remember the WDW one, but the island is so cool there. There are so many places to explore, fun bridges, water features and lots of nooks and crannies (many of which I could not fit myself into).

This is where it becomes less clear, as I have no more pictures from that day.

By the time I left Tom Sawyer Island, it was starting to get dark. I walked over to Toontown to explore and had some Corn Potage (Soup?) Popcorn. WEIRD! Like creamed corn flavored but very sweet.

As the sun set, I decided that I would go on Philharmagic. It was a pretty short 20 minute wait. The waits for all the rides had been crazy all day and still 20 minutes is pretty long for a show (20 minutes before we got into lobby area). In the lobby, my popcorn bucket fell and it broke , spilling popcorn everywhere. Oh well, someone was quickly by to clean it up as I profusely apologized.

The show was fun - having never seen it at WDW (I fell asleep the first time, and I was thankful that I could understand the story without knowing Japanese).

Once I left that I decided to wait until the 7:30 pm Parade started so that I could hop on Pooh with a relatively short wait. At 7:20ish I got in line with a 45 minute wait. Pooh is super awesome as well, and I still wish they had put it in the CA version.

I was soooooooo exhausted at that point, that I headed back to my friend's apartment after I got off that ride. The park closed at 10, but I could not have survived another 2 hours.

After all, I wanted to be ready for Disney Sea the next day!

Anderson
Old 01-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #41
PrincessInOz
in

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Your time away sounds like fun.

Looks like you had an exhausting day here. Looking forward to the Disney Sea.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #42
disneyobsessed808
Mouseketeer

Day 10 - Tokyo DisneySea! Part 1

Let's get this going!

I'll preface this by saying that DisneySea is an amazingly beautiful park, and is probably my favorite park aside from the original Disneyland. The amount of detail is great, and I just love the Ports theme.

We woke up bright and early so we could get to the park early. Once we got to Maihama station, we walked to the Ikspiari Tokyo Monorail station to get on the Disneyland Resort monorail. The monorails at TDR are just so much cooler than the US Disney monorails (as most of y'all know), but they aren't free.

So we got to the front of the park around a half hour before park opening...and of course, there were already a ton of people in line. The last time we were here, we stayed at the Hilton, so we got to do Early Entrance, which was awesome as the park was nearly empty, and got to ride most of the headliners before the park opened to the general public.

Since most people here do a mad dash/run once they pass the turnstiles, I power walked as I frantically tried to take pictures.

When you first get into the park you enter through Mediterranean Harbor, which is just such a cool area. I've never been to Italy, but this might be as close as I'll get :rofl: Since there aren't many attractions here, we didn't spend much time.

We decided to head to where EVERYONE was headed: the American Waterfront.

We toyed with the idea of trying to get a fastpass for Toy Story Midway Mania, but quickly nixed that idea once we actually got to the entrance and saw this:

So instead we went on the Tower of Terror, which we literally walked into immediately. There was no wait.

Because Japan doesn't have a Twilight Zone show, the story is that Harrison Hightower was a collector of rare artifacts, but one of the artifacts an idol was cursed and something terrible happened to him. Since then, a historical society has taken over his tower and turned it into a museum of sorts.

The pre-show here is a lot of fun - There is neat little trick that happens during the pre-show that always leaves me amazed. I asked my friend "How did they do that?" and he just rolls his eyes at me. :rofl: Andy says this story makes more sense than the Twilight Zone story, but I miss being able to say the spiel along with the video. The ride itself seems pretty similar to the California version and does not have a fifth dimension room.

We then walked to the Lost River Delta, passing through the rest of American Waterfront and Port Discovery.

This was another section of the park that we mainly just passed through.

We grabbed a fastpass for Indiana Jones (before we realized it had a single rider line) and headed to Raging Spirits. Raging Spirits also had a Single Rider line, but since the wait was only 15 minutes, we just got in the standby.

It is a fun little coaster that does have a loop but not the most thrilling I've ever been on. It's so compact that it's almost like a wild mouse coaster, though it has longer cars. One of the fun things about it is that the CMs yell "Adios Amigos" as your car launches.

Well, I think that's a lot for now, more DS in the next post.

Anderson
Old 01-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #43
PrincessInOz
in

Thanks for sharing your pictures of Disney Sea. They certainly give me a great perspective for how the land is laid out. The queues on this day seem crazy!

Old 01-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #44
LarryFmScotland
Mouseketeer

Great trip report, I'm loving all of it.

Cheers Larry.
LarryFmScotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #45
disneyobsessed808
Mouseketeer

I've been so bad about not updating this thing. I will finish this report sometime this summer! (I've been going through some personal issues)

Anderson

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: