Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
tukkerlove
Mouseketeer

Cozumel- Secret River- worth the cost & long trip

those who have gone on this- have you come back happy that you put forth the cost of this? It's an expensive tour, it's a long drive there and back... I'm just wondering if it's worth the time & the price tag? Obviously this would eat up the entire time we are in Cozumel, so we wouldn't be seeing anything else if we took this trip. Any reviews out there?
tukkerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
algae
Mouseketeer

Hands-down, yes. It is definitely worth the cost and travel time. This is something very unique in the world IMHO.
algae is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Best excursion I have ever done in the bahamas/carribbean. Completely worth every penny.

You really can't go wrong at all.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by algae View Post
Hands-down, yes. It is definitely worth the cost and travel time. This is something very unique in the world IMHO.
Agreed! Completely worth it....
Old 12-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

DH and I signed up to do this shore excursion a few weeks ago. I read the fine print and it said no wheel chairs, or scooters. It also discouraged pregnant people. o.k. none of the above is a problem. Since scooters and wheel chairs can't go underwater, it stands to reason that they would be turned away.

When we checked in for the shore excursion, the vendor started telling us that anyone with shoulder, knee, or back problems shouldn't go. um, why isn't any of this mentioned on the DCL web site? DH has health issues with all three of those, and if we had received complete info ahead of time, instead of being told at the dock, we wouldn't have signed up. DCL did refund our money, but we were disappointed that better information hadn't been available before we signed up. i did mention it on our comment card, but so far the info has not been updated.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
Weedy
DIS Veteran

Did you have to go to Playa del Carmen or could you just catch the ferry back to the ship?

Drive approximately 30-minutes to Playa del Carmen where you will have approximately 90-minutes free time to enjoy the shopping, cafes and restaurants or even the white sand beach, before the ferry ride back to Cozumel.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy View Post
Did you have to go to Playa del Carmen or could you just catch the ferry back to the ship?

Drive approximately 30-minutes to Playa del Carmen where you will have approximately 90-minutes free time to enjoy the shopping, cafes and restaurants or even the white sand beach, before the ferry ride back to Cozumel.
No you can't just take the ferry back on your own, well i guess you could but it would be the same one and you would pay twice. We did not get the 90 mins, more like 20-30 tops. Playa Del Carmen is pretty nice to walk around and there is a giant souvenir shop with decent prices and everything you really could want to get in it. So its nice to have a few mins there.

Note: at the end of the tour they give you a shot of this neon green liquor that has a licorice taste to it. They sell it there, but its pricey. You can get it at that giant souvenir shop for cheap.

Another note: If you want pictures be prepared to buy them after the tour because you cant take anything down with you. This is more for safety then anything else. Once you are down there you will see why. Plus most standard water proof cameras will take terrible pictures down there because there is no light other than headlamps on your head and the flash light the guide has.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
DH and I signed up to do this shore excursion a few weeks ago. I read the fine print and it said no wheel chairs, or scooters. It also discouraged pregnant people. o.k. none of the above is a problem. Since scooters and wheel chairs can't go underwater, it stands to reason that they would be turned away.

When we checked in for the shore excursion, the vendor started telling us that anyone with shoulder, knee, or back problems shouldn't go. um, why isn't any of this mentioned on the DCL web site? DH has health issues with all three of those, and if we had received complete info ahead of time, instead of being told at the dock, we wouldn't have signed up. DCL did refund our money, but we were disappointed that better information hadn't been available before we signed up. i did mention it on our comment card, but so far the info has not been updated.
When we did the tour in April, they never mentioned anything about shoulder knee or back problems. For some with those problems it could be a problem for others it wouldn't have been. Most of it is fairly easy, its more of watching your footing so you don't trip. There area couple of spots where you step down a decent amount or up, but those are very few. Some spots you float/swim in.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
sgc1107
sgc1107

Is this something pooh sized (but active) people can do?

sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #10
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwhitney View Post
When we did the tour in April, they never mentioned anything about shoulder knee or back problems. For some with those problems it could be a problem for others it wouldn't have been. Most of it is fairly easy, its more of watching your footing so you don't trip. There area couple of spots where you step down a decent amount or up, but those are very few. Some spots you float/swim in.
strange. i wonder if somebuddy had problems after your cruise and before ours, that caused the vendor to be extra cautious.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:06 AM   #11
SleepyDeb
Mouseketeer

Is this the Xcaret excursion?
SleepyDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #12
AStamm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukkerlove View Post
those who have gone on this- have you come back happy that you put forth the cost of this? It's an expensive tour, it's a long drive there and back... I'm just wondering if it's worth the time & the price tag? Obviously this would eat up the entire time we are in Cozumel, so we wouldn't be seeing anything else if we took this trip. Any reviews out there?
DS and I did this excursion in June and had a fantastic time. While we didn't have enough time to explore Cozumel when we got back to the ship, the 2 hours spent in the caves more than made up for it. I wouldn't hesitate to book this trip again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgc1107 View Post
Is this something pooh sized (but active) people can do?
This is definitely an active excursion. While there are some tight spots throughout your time below, I don't think any of them would keep someone on the heavy side from being able to make it through. Not sure how large the life vests and wetsuits are though. I personally wouldn't have been comfortable putting one on when I was 75 pounds heavier. This excursion was sort of my "congratulations on hitting your weight-loss goal" trip.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AStamm View Post
DS and I did this excursion in June and had a fantastic time. While we didn't have enough time to explore Cozumel when we got back to the ship, the 2 hours spent in the caves more than made up for it. I wouldn't hesitate to book this trip again.

This is definitely an active excursion. While there are some tight spots throughout your time below, I don't think any of them would keep someone on the heavy side from being able to make it through. Not sure how large the life vests and wet suits are though. I personally wouldn't have been comfortable putting one on when I was 75 pounds heavier. This excursion was sort of my "congratulations on hitting your weight-loss goal" trip.
you don't have to wear a wet suit, they said long sleeve shirt and shorts would work fine too. And the tight spots were very few.

No one looks good in the wet suits...haha..actually most people they were they wrong size and too big for them.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #14
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

How good of a swimmer do you need to be for this?

I have been contemplating this for our Fantasy cruise next year but am unsure about my mom as she does not 'swim'. With a lifevest, she's great at floating and slowing paddling along. Other than that, she sinks if no life vest. (she's not a swimmer at all!!).

Thanks
Old 12-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #15
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicGoofy View Post
How good of a swimmer do you need to be for this?

I have been contemplating this for our Fantasy cruise next year but am unsure about my mom as she does not 'swim'. With a lifevest, she's great at floating and slowing paddling along. Other than that, she sinks if no life vest. (she's not a swimmer at all!!).

Thanks
You don't swim really at all. The life vests are the good ones that really keep you afloat and all you do is slowly paddle. She will be fine. You are only in deep water for maybe 10-15 mins total and that is spread out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: