Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
vdoucet78
Mouseketeer

Need Wheelchair Rental Recs!

So we leave for Disney in 7 days and I have somehow gotten a stress fracture in my right foot I'm in a walking boot, but we are planning to rent a wheelchair from a third-party company. I see my dr. again on Friday and will find out if I'm allowed to do any weight-bearing on it at all. I debated gettting a scooter, but we've decided the wheelchair is the way to go for us. I'm debating between Buena Vista Rentals and K&M Rentals (currently my top choice). Any other places I should consider? I'm overweight, so that is a consideration too - I want a chair that I will be comfortable sitting in, but not so big that it swallows me. I don't have any experience dealing with wheelchairs. Also one of my coworkers recently went to Disney with a family member in a wheelchair and she told me I needed to get a note from my dr to bring to guest services about not being able to stand. Anyone know about this?

Edit to add: We are staying onsite at Port Orleans Riverside and would like a company that will drop off and pick up the chair at our resort.
12/13 Port Orleans Riverside - Alligator Bayou
12/14 Caribbean Beach Resort
vdoucet78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Carnator
Mouseketeer

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=595713

Go to post #2

If you go to this link it will give you all sorts of info on rental w/c. It will also give you a list of perfered rental companies that will deliver w/c to the resort.

Preferred vendors reportedly include: Apple Scooters, Best Price Mobility, Buena Vista Scooters, CARE Medical, and Scooterbug

me -- DS -- DD --
Carnator is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
gratefulfred
Mouseketeer

Just went with my mother in law who has similar problems go with a scooter you won't regret it. Just take a little time to learn it and it will be easy to operate.
gratefulfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
Smile&Nod
Mouseketeer

I have used Apple Scooters for two wheel chairs a year or so ago and was very happy. They delivered on time to BWVs for us. Going in January and have both a scooter and wheelchair reserved because I am having knee surgery 10 days before we hit Disney.
Smile&Nod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
vdoucet78
Mouseketeer

So does this mean K&M is not a "preferred vendor"? Which preferred vendors get good reviews here?
Old 12-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
gratefulfred
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdoucet78 View Post
So does this mean K&M is not a "preferred vendor"? Which preferred vendors get good reviews here?
Apple and Buena Vista are preferred and can drop off and pick up at the resorts. Preferred means disney allows them to use bell services to deliver and pick up your rental.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulfred View Post
Apple and Buena Vista are preferred and can drop off and pick up at the resorts. Preferred means disney allows them to use bell services to deliver and pick up your rental.
The ones that are listed in post 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread are the ones most recommended on this board.

Some of the most recommended ones are WDW's designated 'Preferred Vendors' and some are not. As was already mentioned, the 'Preferred Vendors' are ones that have signed n agreement with Disney that lows them to drop off and pick up from Bell Services at the resort.

And, regarding the card your co-worker mentioned is a Guest Assistance Card. If you are using a wheelchair or ECV you won't need one to bring the wheelchair or ECV into lines. Most lines do not have a place to sit (even with the card) unless you are bringing the wheelchair or ECV into line with you.
Yo cn find out more about Guest Assistnce Cards inpost 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread, which is near the top of this board or you can follow the link in my signature.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
vdoucet78
Mouseketeer

OK, so I'm looking at Apple Scooters. They have a delivery option for 1. Concierge 2. Bell Captain and 3. Meet & Greet. I can figure out the meet & greet would be where I would meet with them in person, but what are the first 2 exactly? Which one would be the option to choose to get it at my resort at check in? We are planning to arrive at the resort around 7am, and get our KTTW cards though I know the room won't be ready for hours. We have park tickets that day and will be in Magic Kingdom until our room is ready. Will the wheelchair be there when I arrive at 7am or will I have to wait until official check-in time to get it? Sorry for all the questions but I am so confused and stressing right now!
Old 12-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
gratefulfred
Mouseketeer

Quote:
OK, so I'm looking at Apple Scooters. They have a delivery option for 1. Concierge 2. Bell Captain and 3. Meet & Greet. I can figure out the meet & greet would be where I would meet with them in person, but what are the first 2 exactly? Which one would be the option to choose to get it at my resort at check in? We are planning to arrive at the resort around 7am, and get our KTTW cards though I know the room won't be ready for hours. We have park tickets that day and will be in Magic Kingdom until our room is ready. Will the wheelchair be there when I arrive at 7am or will I have to wait until official check-in time to get it? Sorry for all the questions but I am so confused and stressing right now!
You could probably have it delivered the night before so it is there at 7am or check with the rental company and ask what the earliest delivery time is. Oh and use bell captain, ask when you check in and they will tell you where to go, it will be in or near the lobby.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #10
vdoucet78
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone! I've decided on Apple thanks to all the great advice. I'm hoping my dr will allow me to do some weight-bearing so I don't need the wheelchair all the time, but I know I can't realistically walk all over Disney for a week in the cam walking boot without using the chair some. I lucky my husband doesn't mind pushing me! I decided against the scooter because if I want to do some walking I can just push the wheelchair. And I'm terrified of accidentally running over people on the scooter!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #11
gratefulfred
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks everyone! I've decided on Apple thanks to all the great advice. I'm hoping my dr will allow me to do some weight-bearing so I don't need the wheelchair all the time, but I know I can't realistically walk all over Disney for a week in the cam walking boot without using the chair some. I lucky my husband doesn't mind pushing me! I decided against the scooter because if I want to do some walking I can just push the wheelchair. And I'm terrified of accidentally running over people on the scooter!
Try a scooter out at your local supermarket and see how it feels. Disney has hills and its a lot of pushing. You can park the scooter and take the key if you feel like walking then come back for it if you need it.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #12
Tissa
DIS Veteran

I have used Apple for both a scooter rental for my mom and a wheelchair rental for my son. They are great. Pushing a wheelchair isn't a big deal although my legs get a good workout especially around Epcot. I avoid the monorail ramp too. They only way my mom could get through the crowds in the scooter was for me to walk in front of her with the wheelchair and she followed right behind me.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #13
Piper
DIS Veteran

When I was first having to use a WC at home for things I did outside the home, I rented an ECV for Disney. My sister cancelled it and declared that since I had my own WC, we would take that and they would just push it. After all there were 5 of them including 2 teenage boys, a 24 year old man and her husband. After 2 days they called the rental agency and I got my ECV. We were all happier!
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #14
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

You said that you are overweight. That would make a difference in comfort. If you carry your weight in your hips, then you will need one that has a 20" wide seat at least. The best way to get the correct fit is to measure your rear while seated to see how wide you are, then use that as a guide to which one to choose.

I am personally overweight too, and my chair is a 19" seat. I can sit in a regular seat, which is usually 18" wide seat, but that 1" makes me much more comfortable.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #15
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
... Also one of my coworkers recently went to Disney with a family member in a wheelchair and she told me I needed to get a note from my dr to bring to guest services about not being able to stand. Anyone know about this?
SueM responded about the GAC, but I wanted to point out that you do not need a Dr. note - it likely would not be looked at. If you are in a wheelchair, that is a "visible" sign that you need accommodations. The CMs might ask if you are able to transfer from the chair or if you need an accessible ride car. If you can safely transfer, you won't need to wait for the accessible car; keep in mind that your family will need to assist with you any transfers in/out of the wheelchair as the CMs are not allowed to do so.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: