Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 04:48 AM   #196
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Here we were, in Germany! We had skipped the booths in this area the previous day, if you remember, so that we could come back to them. I wasn't terribly hungry after lunch in Morocco....but ya know, it's a long walk from Morocco to Germany! Hundreds and hundreds of miles!

I noticed that Germany had a biergarten set up outside by the booth this year. When did they do this? I don't remember it in 2009 and I know it wasn't there when the festival was not going on this past January. It was cute!

It was not busy at all, festival speaking, so we grabbed some foodles and sat down at a table. Well, that's not exactly how it went. I grabbed food at the cheese booth and walked over to a standing table while Rey went to get something from the Germany booth. At some point, my stuff BLEW OFF the table, but I grabbed the food and just had to retrieve the plate? That was when I noticed that the wind had really picked up that day. Someone got up and THEN we sat down at the table! Here's what we munched on:
My cheese booth stuff and Rey's beer sampler...which I drank over half of!

Don't ask which ones I drank...just whichever ones he didn't like! I know for sure he drank the Octoberfest b/c he has gotten it every time we are there, he loves it.

Oh yes, I had Reisling as well, before drinking his beer!
The fondue was good, but the bread that went with it was just ok. The cheese samples were very good and strong...the way I like my cheese.

I had the apple streudal (sp? It's too early this morning, I guess) with vanilla sauce was good.

Rey had the brat and some other casserole thingie (it had meat so I couldn't try it! LOL) It's a good thing this isn't an official food review b/c I suck at remembering what things are called! He LOVED both! Naturally. It's Germany, they could feed him dogfood and he would love it.

We enjoyed the low crowds and sitting for a while and checked out the festival map to see what we had missed. I was determined to get the pumpkin mousse, but never did end up getting to it??? Must have been those drinks making me forget.

We walked toward the African outpost and stopped for a while b/c I was mesmorized by the guy who carves these...

I knew I had to have a giraffe! Perfect souvenir for our AKL Anniversary trip! I looked around the shop behind the carving area and found one. I admit, I felt bad for not buying one of HIS carved ones, but they were twice the price and the one I found in the shop was still made in Kenya but twice as big.

We kept walking, it was feeling a little chillier and the wind really was picking up, but I had a jacket and thought it was great weather. We passed up China and headed towards Norway.

Next up for Rey was Scandinavia! I was full at this point, so I just took pictures while he ordered.

He bought me champagne! I do believe he was trying to get me liquored up!

CHECK OUT how choppy the water is in the background (foreshadowing)
Rey had some meat thingies! No clue what they were, fish and something else???

It was good, what I had of it. I only had one sip, took this shot, and then the WIND BLEW IT OVER! Yep, all over the ground. It was also chilly in the shade at the table we were standing at! I do believe it was time to warm up...hmm...maybe with some tequila?!?!?

Up next...a romantic CAVE.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:54 AM   #197
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

The bratwurst from Germany was really good!! I didn't try the apple strudel, but that looks great too!!

The wind sounds really wild (and thirsty! ) that day!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #198
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

That wind is really being pesky! It looks like so much food at F&W, there is no way I could do it! I love the idea of getting a giraffe for your souvenir for the trip

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Old 12-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #199
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Is it me, or is it hilarious to anyone else that the brat is sticking WAY OUT of both sides of the bun?!? Looks really good, though! The cheese platter does too! When I saw the menu for Scandinavia, I thought to myself, “If Rey doesn’t get those Swedish meatballs…” You see, I am eating vicariously through you guys and your pictures So, I am fairly certain his “meat thingies” were the meatballs They look yummy! OK, I’m getting a little nervous for you: Riesling, beer, a sip of champagne… and tequila is up next? I am thinking of that saying, “Beer before liquor makes you sicker”

Disney Every Day - An October 2014 PTR
Old 12-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #200
Tinker326
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
Thanks! I'm totally nervous about planning a trip to Germany and it's overwhelming! I have no idea where to start and it feels like there just won't be enough time to do anything. Oh, we also want to pop down to Italy somehow(Dallas, my 17 year old, loves Italy), but I cannot figure out how to do that without adding tons of time and way too much transportation issues!
Totally OT on the trip report, but when I went in 2007 to Europe- I did Germany, Italy, Austria & Switzerland in 10 days! It's totally doable! And Train travel is REALLY easy. The hardest part will be getting to the smaller cities (Bavaria) unless you are comfortable driving in Germany. But those were my favorite places on the trip! I desperatly want to get back to Germany & Switzerland- I totally fell in love with both! Italy, after going, I have no desire to go back. (We did Venice & Verona).

Plus, you are uber planner- this is a challenge & I have no doubts you will rise above them all & come up with a fantastic vacation!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #201
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Your photos really are Gorgeous, Gorgeous, Gorgeous...

I really do love that you "relaxed' and just had a chance to soak in all the details...I always feel guilty when I want to do that like the lines are building for our next attraction while I'm staring at building details or something like that...

I am also a huge fan of the Moroccan pavilion as well as the Tangierine Cafe...

It is so lovely and detailed-the pavilion as well as the restaurant...not only is that room in the Cafe lovely but even those of us who do eat meat sometimes like a break and it so nice to have such good CS has really good veg options...
Old 12-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #202
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

I'm back from my trip and just got caught up on your report. Loving the photos as usual, and your descriptions of everything.

Our trip was 9 days and we had almost perfect weather. In fact, I found I hadn't packed enough warm weather clothes, thinking we'd be needing more long sleeve/jeans things. I have never done a TR, and since I'm busy getting ready for Christmas, I won't start now. I'm sort of intimidated by all the great reports I read...yours included. You do such a great job on yours! Can't wait for the next installment! Glad you're feeling better.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #203
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
The bratwurst from Germany was really good!! I didn't try the apple strudel, but that looks great too!!

The wind sounds really wild (and thirsty! ) that day!!!
I had the apple strudel in 2009 as well and it was ok...nothing to drool over, but still good. Yep, the wind really picked up, it was a cool front that came through!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney9.9.10 View Post
That wind is really being pesky! It looks like so much food at F&W, there is no way I could do it! I love the idea of getting a giraffe for your souvenir for the trip
I love my giraffe! I took pics, but I'll share those in the souvenir recap when I finish up the TR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink-erin-belle View Post
Is it me, or is it hilarious to anyone else that the brat is sticking WAY OUT of both sides of the bun?!? Looks really good, though! The cheese platter does too! When I saw the menu for Scandinavia, I thought to myself, “If Rey doesn’t get those Swedish meatballs…” You see, I am eating vicariously through you guys and your pictures So, I am fairly certain his “meat thingies” were the meatballs They look yummy! OK, I’m getting a little nervous for you: Riesling, beer, a sip of champagne… and tequila is up next? I am thinking of that saying, “Beer before liquor makes you sicker”
We'll just have to see how I fared! There was definitely more alcohol coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker326 View Post
Totally OT on the trip report, but when I went in 2007 to Europe- I did Germany, Italy, Austria & Switzerland in 10 days! It's totally doable! And Train travel is REALLY easy. The hardest part will be getting to the smaller cities (Bavaria) unless you are comfortable driving in Germany. But those were my favorite places on the trip! I desperatly want to get back to Germany & Switzerland- I totally fell in love with both! Italy, after going, I have no desire to go back. (We did Venice & Verona).

Plus, you are uber planner- this is a challenge & I have no doubts you will rise above them all & come up with a fantastic vacation!
I have no idea what my problem is! I love planning, but overseas just totally freaks me out. It's TOO MUCH INFO. I just have no idea where to start. Would you consider PMing me with an idea of how your trip went? Where you started, how you got around, where you stayed? I just don't know where to START!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Your photos really are Gorgeous, Gorgeous, Gorgeous...

I really do love that you "relaxed' and just had a chance to soak in all the details...I always feel guilty when I want to do that like the lines are building for our next attraction while I'm staring at building details or something like that...

I am also a huge fan of the Moroccan pavilion as well as the Tangierine Cafe...

It is so lovely and detailed-the pavilion as well as the restaurant...not only is that room in the Cafe lovely but even those of us who do eat meat sometimes like a break and it so nice to have such good CS has really good veg options...
Thanks! I'm usually the same way, feeling like I need to get to the next thing, so it was a nice departure from that. It REALLY helped that I had this plan to go with just Savannah in February. Any time I thought about it, I just reminded myself that Savannah & I would be back in a few months and do it! Worked like a charm...but then I have to have multiple trips planned to really be able to relax? That's expensive relaxation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
I'm back from my trip and just got caught up on your report. Loving the photos as usual, and your descriptions of everything.

Our trip was 9 days and we had almost perfect weather. In fact, I found I hadn't packed enough warm weather clothes, thinking we'd be needing more long sleeve/jeans things. I have never done a TR, and since I'm busy getting ready for Christmas, I won't start now. I'm sort of intimidated by all the great reports I read...yours included. You do such a great job on yours! Can't wait for the next installment! Glad you're feeling better.
Welcome back!!! You must to a TR, I want to hear all about it!!!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #204
danimaroo
DIS Veteran

GAH! I got so behind on this TR, so sorry Karen. Between our trip, writing the TR for it, and just the holiday season it's been bonkers! That and you are an updating machine, woman!

I know you said you were having problems with your lens but some of your shots came out AMAZING! Seriously! I ran into the issue while in DL of my prime lens being too darn close and combining that with the awful amounts of rain we experienced, and well, I didn't get as many awesome photos as I'd hoped! So kudos to you, because your shots are fabulous.

Just wanted to also mentioned that you know my love for Beach Club! There are definitely stuffy people there but there are also a lot of normal people who stay there, too! I just adore that resort and would alwaysalways suggest the people stay there. It's just perfect.

I so need to try out the Tangerine Cafe! Maybe in January we'll give it a shot! I could seriously go for some falafel right now, yum!

What do you use to edit your photos, by the way!?

Your food is killin' me! It just looks so amazing and I want to eat it all right now.

I am excited to see your next stop, since I've never been to the bar! Not sure we'll ever go, since I'm more of a margarita-while-I-stroll-around-WS gal, but still looking forward to it!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #205
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Yay for the Cave! My favorite place in all of Disney World
And there's nothing more sad than a spilled beverage
Old 12-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #206
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimaroo View Post
GAH! I got so behind on this TR, so sorry Karen. Between our trip, writing the TR for it, and just the holiday season it's been bonkers! That and you are an updating machine, woman!

I know you said you were having problems with your lens but some of your shots came out AMAZING! Seriously! I ran into the issue while in DL of my prime lens being too darn close and combining that with the awful amounts of rain we experienced, and well, I didn't get as many awesome photos as I'd hoped! So kudos to you, because your shots are fabulous.

Just wanted to also mentioned that you know my love for Beach Club! There are definitely stuffy people there but there are also a lot of normal people who stay there, too! I just adore that resort and would alwaysalways suggest the people stay there. It's just perfect.

I so need to try out the Tangerine Cafe! Maybe in January we'll give it a shot! I could seriously go for some falafel right now, yum!

What do you use to edit your photos, by the way!?

Your food is killin' me! It just looks so amazing and I want to eat it all right now.

I am excited to see your next stop, since I've never been to the bar! Not sure we'll ever go, since I'm more of a margarita-while-I-stroll-around-WS gal, but still looking forward to it!
Yay Dani!!! I'm so glad you are here!!! I thought of you when we were checking out Beach Club! You are totally going to have to check out the Cave...trust me on this! Update coming tomorrow about it, I've had a long hard weekend and now have a pinched nerve in my back, so I've been laying around all afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam33 View Post
Yay for the Cave! My favorite place in all of Disney World
And there's nothing more sad than a spilled beverage
Ah, no use crying over spilled drinks...just go order more in the Cave! Ah, I loved it! So glad we decided to check it out. I even got pictures, which I rarely see...and I know why, it's DARK in there!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:15 AM   #207
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

You certainly know how to do Food and Wine right!!!!
I can't believe it was so windy that your drink blew over. That's tragic.

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
Old 12-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #208
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Sorry to leave you hanging for a few days there, it was a hard weekend. I'm a petsitter and I lost 3 of my favorite clients (as in, they were all put down together) and Savannah & I cried and talked about all the fabulous memories we have with these animals. Then I pinched a nerve in my shoulder blade area? I've been trying to rest, but it's not really getting better, so I'm just pushing through it and dealing.

ANYWAY...
It was chilly and windy and when my drink spilled, Rey went to get another and I told him no, I would rather have a margarita. He thought I meant from the booth, but I explained to him that there was a better place to have a margarita on a chilly day!

We headed into Mexico

We walked right over to the Cave entrance and then Rey said he needed to find a restroom. I told him I would wait there for him at the bar. BUT, as I stood there, I started to feel self conscious b/c they asked me what I wanted and I didn't want to seem like I was just standing there? I don't know what I was thinking. In any case, I decided to order a couple margaritas to try. Again, I wasn't thinking, so instead of ordering a flight I ordered a full avocado margarita and a blood orange margarita.

It was VERY dark inside, probably why you never see pictures, but I used the bar (and later a table) as a tripod so I could get a good shot!

The bartender gave me my drinks AND a taster of a pineapple margarita (uh...YUM!!!!!!!!)

It was taking Rey longer than usual and I couldn't really take the drinks anywhere with just 2 hands, so I stood there until he got back. I tasted the drinks and the jury was out. I didn't like the avocado like I thought I would (I LOVE avocados!) and the blood orange was ok. The pineapple taster (naturally) was amazing. So when Rey showed up, he looked at me and laughed, saying I should have waited for him to order. One of those rare occasions where he was right. Clearly in the face of so much Tequila, I cannot make the right choices.

It was not very busy and that's pretty amazing, considering the size of the place!

I was so excited when I saw this amazing little romantic spot/couch area where we could sit!

There's no pics of US b/c in order to get these shots, I had to do a LOOOOONG exposure, sitting on a stable surface. I did try to get a pic of Rey sitting there, but he took a drink while the shutter was open, so it looked like he had no arm.

We sat down and Rey tasted the drinks and decided what he wanted. Naturally, not wanting to waste anything, I continued to drink mine even though I didn't love them! Rey went up and took my avocado margarita back and got a passion fruit margarita for me instead and got himself a pineapple. UH YUM!!!!! We sat and relaxed while enjoying our drinks. I love this little getaway and it was so cozy and dark. My stomach was bothering me a bit, I felt like I needed some real food, but I'm sure you know by now that it didn't stop me. I was enjoying those drinks too much!

I tried to get a shot of the mural on the wall, we thought it was lovely.

So, when we were getting ready to leave, we took our glasses back up to the bar. When the bartender found out I didn't like the blood orange that much either (after drinking HALF OF IT!) he gave me ANOTHER passion fruit margarita for FREE! Can you say LUSH?!?! Of course, it wasn't for free b/c I tipped him the price of the margarita, but still. We headed outside and I had to take one more shot of Mexico. I love it in there!

I took a picture (the last on that memory card) of my passion fruit margarita as we came out of Mexico into the bright sun.

I never did finish it. I knew I had enough, so I pitched it as we were leaving WS. I'm pretty sure you can't take drinks out of the park anyway. We headed back to AKL, I had a date with the sun! Oh yes, it was windy and 65 degrees, but when I'm in Florida, I take the sun however I can get it!

Up next, a relaxing afternoon and an unplanned, spontaneous dinner!

Old 12-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #209
DreamingPink
Disney Veteran

Your pictures are amazing, even with out your lens you manage to capture the feel of the subject.
I love your TR, all caught up on this one, now I am of to read your others.

I have never been to F&W. We will be there in 2013 for MNSSHP and F& W. But your pics make me want to be there now....
Old 12-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #210
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingPink View Post
Your pictures are amazing, even with out your lens you manage to capture the feel of the subject.
I love your TR, all caught up on this one, now I am of to read your others.

I have never been to F&W. We will be there in 2013 for MNSSHP and F& W. But your pics make me want to be there now....
Thanks!!!!!!!

I bet you guys will like it! I see your kids are 12 & 13, that's a great age for F&W if they are starting to try different things and interested in that kind of stuff! We went with my IL's in 2009 and although we didn't get to spend much time at F&W (ahem...you'll have to read my TR for that, it's too long and annoying to explain! LOL) my boys were young teens and enjoyed trying the different foods! Just avoid the weekends, that's what we do. Weekdays are MUCH quieter for F&W.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: